PDA

View Full Version : foot injury ?

Fixed
04-08-2006, 10:06 AM
bro i had real hard workout wed took 2 easy days friday notied the left foot was little sore on the sole .no big deal last night the joint behind the big toe was swollen and very painful this am no way i could do my workout . any body ever have this ? it's like i jamed my big toe but i didn't . I almost never have injuries . cheers

catulle
04-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Gout, maybe? Gout is the inflamation of the joint (usually on the big toe) as a result of too much uric acid. Being royalty, like you are, I'm almost certain that is the problem.

Fixed
04-08-2006, 10:35 AM
bro oh great just what i need when i have to ride everyday .

catulle
04-08-2006, 11:40 AM
bro oh great just what i need when i have to ride everyday .

Fixed, bro, I ainīt no doc. However, some pills and the right diet will take care of it, if that's what it is. Bananas help a lot (potassium), serious. :banana: :banana:

Too Tall
04-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Main culprit for what you have described are increased volume and or intensity. Esp. doing "force" intervals and riding the trainer we tend to put more pressure on metatarsals than usual. Fer instance, on multi day bike tours folks "out of the blue" come up with achilles and foot issues...derr.

Anywho, use ice cubes and a bucket and water immed. after riding and as much as you can stand it. Stay off the anti-inflammatory carp. Don't change anything such as cleats etc. It will likely pass.

PS - internet advice is BS. Disregard everything I said...unless you find it meaningful ;)

Fixed
04-08-2006, 04:49 PM
bros thanks for your advise I have been pushing it pretty hard and i need to drink more water . sometimes i don't drink enough water cos i have to find places to go often, which can be hard on a bike in town . you know what if you don't rest enough you'll be forced to . cheers
big toe in ice right now .
this hurts but it ain't as bad as chemo .i.m.h.o.

catulle
04-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Water is a must. No matter what you do, you got to drink lots of water: Always. :beer:

vaxn8r
04-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Stress fracture, plantar fasciitis, osteomyelitis, cancer....maybe just overuse. No way would I ride for now. If it gets better with rest then restart gradually. If not better get it checked out.

Fixed
04-08-2006, 06:15 PM
bro i looked at the gout page and it looks just like what i have except I'm. not over weight and I eat little red meat .I'm on the low end on protein consumption .I wouldn't say i have a high life . I hear 3 -10 days then it gets better . I'm hopin for 3 days . bro I am on the sidelines for now
rest .ice compresson? elevation
cheers

Grant McLean
04-08-2006, 06:50 PM
bro my brother-in-law gets a bout of gout every few years.
He got steroids from his doc last time. that rocks.

g

catulle
04-08-2006, 06:57 PM
bro i looked at the gout page and it looks just like what i have except I'm. not over weight and I eat little red meat .I'm on the low end on protein consumption .I wouldn't say i have a high life . I hear 3 -10 days then it gets better . I'm hopin for 3 days . bro I am on the sidelines for now
rest .ice compresson? elevation
cheers

Shell fish, mollusks are also mp. Drink a lot of water. There might be an over the counter something or another for it. I got it once and the local doc gave me a few little pills and that took care of it quickly.

catulle
04-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Colchicine is what I got for gout. I wonder if you can get it over the counter.

gasman
04-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Colchicine is what I got for gout. I wonder if you can get it over the counter.

Nope-too many possible side effects, don't take it without a proper diagnosis.

bironi
04-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Fixed,

No advice from this quarter, but keep us posted. Hope you a spinning pain-free soon.

Byron

Fixed
04-08-2006, 07:47 PM
bro thank you guys it funny how a joint behind your big toe can be so painful and i feel like i have a little fever .... weird . thanks again bros
don't worry gas man with my past med . history I don't take anything unless I have to and i check it out with my doc. first. cheers

rpm
04-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Bro, if it doesn't get better in a week or so, head to a good podiatrist. Find one by asking around at running shops. Find out where guys in their clubs go. My guess is that you've just irritated your metatarsal and that you need an insole/orthotic that will take some pressure off it. That could be custom orthotics (which your insurance should pay for), or it might be some different insoles in your shoes. You might look at the insoles in Specialized shoes. The insoles are sold separately and have a little "metatarsal" button that spreads your metarsals and takes pressure off them. You'd be amazed at how much difference a little foam in the right place can make.

jerk
04-08-2006, 10:09 PM
ahm.....how about you go to a doctor. the jerk would suggest one other than doctor davey bruylandts.

jerk

CarlosContreros
04-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Hey fixed...umm....bro!

I'm a trucking contractor and find myself hauling a certain "beverage"
to St. Pete and love seeing all the activity on the Gandy bridge...

do you ride it much?

If I lived over there...I would ride it all day!! :banana:

OldDog
04-09-2006, 02:20 AM
Fixed - search out Mortons Neuroma. Everone has a two digital nerves in each foot, one that runs through the metatarsal between the big toe and first toe. MN is a swelling of that nerve. The orthotic with metatarsal lift will help as will various treatments. Don't ignore your condition, see a doc/pod. Cheers.

Fixed
04-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Hey fixed...umm....bro!

I'm a trucking contractor and find myself hauling a certain "beverage"
to St. Pete and love seeing all the activity on the Gandy bridge...

do you ride it much?

If I lived over there...I would ride it all day!! :banana:
yeah bro i ride it often and wheaton island about 2 mile ride from the bridge check it out sometime that's where i do my t.t. training . cheers

kestrel
04-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Bro, if it doesn't get better in a week or so, head to a good podiatrist. Find one by asking around at running shops. Find out where guys in their clubs go. My guess is that you've just irritated your metatarsal and that you need an insole/orthotic that will take some pressure off it. That could be custom orthotics (which your insurance should pay for), or it might be some different insoles in your shoes. You might look at the insoles in Specialized shoes. The insoles are sold separately and have a little "metatarsal" button that spreads your metarsals and takes pressure off them. You'd be amazed at how much difference a little foam in the right place can make.

IMO best advice here.... Two riding companions have had similar problems, and fitted orthotics was the answer.