PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Getting Seat Post to Move in Steel Frame

Pierre
02-24-2015, 10:26 AM
Hi all,
I'm wondering if any of you have any tips for me. I'm having a lot of trouble moving my seatpost in my older Columbus steel frame. I can get it done but it requires shimmying which in turns scratches my fancy campy seatpost. I've lubed up the inside of the steel but it just seems like it's simply too tight. Any suggestions?

oldpotatoe
02-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Hi all,
I'm wondering if any of you have any tips for me. I'm having a lot of trouble moving my seatpost in my older Columbus steel frame. I can get it done but it requires shimmying which in turns scratches my fancy campy seatpost. I've lubed up the inside of the steel but it just seems like it's simply too tight. Any suggestions?

If it moves, good. BUT I doubt any lube will make it come out easier. Maybe heat.

BUT when out, clean it up with a Flex/ball hone or seat tube reamer if there is some sharp points in there. Not uncommon in older steel frames.

ultraman6970
02-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Hmm dont understand too well what;s your problem...

You say "having problems the seat post to move"... to me means that it is frozen stuck... then later you say that you have to shim it and put grease to it and that the fit is too tight???

It is frozen or is a problem that the seatpost is sliding down and you can't get it tight enough???

Pierre
02-24-2015, 10:35 AM
sorry, to be clear - it is NOT seized, just very tight and rough.

ultraman6970
02-24-2015, 10:44 AM
Oh... well... 1st, take the shim out, you dont need it.

2nd... if you have a good shop they should have a 27.2 or whatever the size of the tube is reamer, and ream that down to make it smooth and clean. You can clean that using a hone also.

Put a lot of grease and done.

About the scratches, you will scratch it anyways, the deep of the scratches will depend a lot of how well reamed the seat tube is.

cmbicycles
02-24-2015, 11:23 AM
The Op said shimmying, which I take to mean twisting it back and forth to get it to move. I don't think there are any shims involved here.
Like oldpotatoe said, run a flex hone down the tube if you are inclined to do it, or take it to a bike shop that can do it for you. Plenty of good advice here if you need help. The flex hone should clean out most anything scratching the post.

mktng
02-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Oh its not seized. hmm... nvm

figure out a way to clean out the seat tube.

is it the right seatpost diameter?

Pierre
02-24-2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks, guys. Great suggestions. I just called the bike shop (needed to get the bb re-faced anyway) so they are going to clean out the seat-tube for me while they are at it. Hopefully when I get it back I won't be stuck with the opposite problem, having a seatpost that slips no matter how tightly you crank that binder bolt!!!

Yeah, by shimmying, I simply meant having to wiggle it back and forth. There is no shim in there.

Birddog
02-24-2015, 11:49 AM
You need one of these.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIdA6krQ464mVKEriqj8BpWTuOdSWKl d3VxiPJ7fryAEetKSiQ
A larger NAPA store should have them.

Duende
02-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Talk about synchronicity! I just spent a few hours getting my SR post out of my SL frame. What a PITA!!!

Definitely going to ream out the seat tube. Strange thing is, my NR seat post fits just right.

Go figure.