PDA

View Full Version : New chain yay!

milkbaby
02-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Rode one of my bikes in the rain on some limerock and dirt roads. It was old so upon measuring it, i decided the chain needed to be replaced.

Having replaced the chain, the bike is shifting great and is even quieter than before which got me to thinking... How many miles do you usually get out of the new chain grease before you clean and lube it with something else? I've never measured it but usually tried to leave it alone as long as possible.

Cicli
02-24-2015, 03:36 AM
Rode one of my bikes in the rain on some limerock and dirt roads. It was old so upon measuring it, i decided the chain needed to be replaced.

Having replaced the chain, the bike is shifting great and is even quieter than before which got me to thinking... How many miles do you usually get out of the new chain grease before you clean and lube it with something else? I've never measured it but usually tried to leave it alone as long as possible.

I don't usually go any further than my normal lube interval. While that factory lube is very good I have found it is very sticky and gets dirty quick.

oldpotatoe
02-24-2015, 05:58 AM

A lot of 'grease' on a new chain is also rust inhibitor. BUT ride until it sounds like you have a bird in your pocket..getting that little 'chirp, chirp', then lube after that ride. NEVER lube just before a ride, or you are asking for the 'black chain'.

tigoat
02-24-2015, 06:27 AM
I do not like the factory lube so the first thing I usually do would be to clean the new chain with wd-40, soup and warm water, and then lube it with a light lubricant. The heavy lube and grease will attract and accumulate dirt so the chain will wear out much faster. I wipe the chain down after every ride but I lube it every other ride. It also depends on the mileage for every lube cycle.

oldpotatoe
02-24-2015, 06:29 AM
I do not like the factory lube so the first thing I usually do would be to clean the new chain with wd-40, soup and warm water, and then lube it with a light lubricant. The heavy lube and grease will attract and accumulate dirt so the chain will wear out much faster. I wipe the chain down after every ride but I lube it every other ride. It also depends on the mileage for every lube cycle.

Clear broth or with something in it. Chicken noodle?

mktng
02-24-2015, 06:29 AM
What kinda of soup you use. I like vegetable :).

I usually wipe down and re lube after ever wet ride or after one or two dry rides. Depending on distance.

However..... I bought new lube to try out.. Muc off. Stuff is waaaaayyyyyy too thick. Dirt magnet.

tigoat
02-24-2015, 06:38 AM
Clear broth or with something in it. Chicken noodle?

Very funny!

tigoat
02-24-2015, 06:42 AM
What kinda of soup you use. I like vegetable :).

I love chicken noodle soup, as I can eat that all day long.

zap
02-24-2015, 08:50 AM
Some good info here.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/mechanical-monday-drivetrain-chain-cables-lube-smoother-cyclocross-ride

berserk87
02-24-2015, 09:13 AM
I love chicken noodle soup, as I can eat that all day long.

The noodles clog my cassette.

Kentf14
02-24-2015, 11:24 AM
For winter riding, I'd go with something like chowder. You need the viscosity.
Summer definitely calls for consummé.
:)

Seramount
02-24-2015, 12:51 PM
cleaning a brand new chain with solvents seems totally unnecessary.

I simply wipe down a new chain with an old t-shirt several times and then apply Chain-L.

typically get 750-1000 miles before it needs relubing.

choke
02-24-2015, 01:07 PM

milkbaby
02-24-2015, 01:32 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697895871&stc=1&d=1424804843.....

The chain nazi... lol

OtayBW
02-24-2015, 04:30 PM
....BUT ride until it sounds like you have a bird in your pocket..getting that little 'chirp, chirp', then lube after that ride.
Seriously - every ride? You better switch to a different brand of chicken soup.....:banana:

Black Dog
02-24-2015, 04:56 PM
cleaning a brand new chain with solvents seems totally unnecessary.

I simply wipe down a new chain with an old t-shirt several times and then apply Chain-L.

typically get 750-1000 miles before it needs relubing.

This.