PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vintage Stereo setup (pic page 6)

velomonkey
02-24-2015, 12:03 AM
So I'm going through a phase of upgrading my office from halfway decent Klipsh computer speakers to one based on a stereo system. Started poking around Craigslist and then Ebay and as I went back, I ended up going way back - to like the early 70s. My dad died when I was 9 and he was a officer in the navy and loved to tinker with his MG, computers and stereos. He always had good swag. Once I saw some of the classic stereos I was hooked.

So I found someone who fixes up vintege stereo stuff during the winter as he is a pool builder. I think I am going for a Yamaha CR-440 paired with some Mirage SM-1 speakers. Now to play music from my computer it seems a DAC converter does wonders - i'm looking at this one (http://www.amazon.com/HIGH-RESOLUTION-TECHNOLOGIES-A350-HRT/dp/B00K2436MI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1424757421&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=HRT+III+music+streamer). Price for the receiver and speakers would be $220 - $125 for the receiver and $95 for the speakers. He is going to have them all set up for me to hear when I get there.

Any thoughts on these two items? Brings me back to when I was a kid and my dad was working on the computer with music playing in the background.

jtakeda
02-24-2015, 12:28 AM
Full disclosure: I've never heard a Yamaha CR-440.

But if I was looking for a starter vintage rig in that price range I'd be looking for something like a Sansui 881 or a vintage Marantz.

Pair them with some Sansui x000 series speakers or scour estate sales and garage sales and find something baller.

I found some Klipsch Forte's for 120 bucks at a local sale maybe you can find something like that.

I know it doesn't answer your question at all but I've had really good experiences with those receivers and you can find them cheap.

Ken Robb
02-24-2015, 12:31 AM
I won't check the specs of the speakers you mentioned but I will say that some have foam surrounds that disintegrate over time. They can be redone for $40=/- per driver but some speakers have butyl surrounds that last nearly forever. ADS and Braun are some like that. Classic Klipsch (and others) have fabric accordian-like surrounds that also last indefinitely but I am not a fan of the "Klipsch sound" which sacrifices accuracy for efficiency. Flame suit on, but that is my opinion/taste. :-) In any event, I'm sure you will enjoy this sonic adventure.

jtakeda
02-24-2015, 12:32 AM
I won't check the specs of the speakers you mentioned but I will say that some have foam surrounds that disintegrate over time. They can be redone for $40=/- per driver but some speakers have butyl surrounds that last nearly forever. ADS and Braun are some like that. Classic Klipsch (and others) have fabric accordian-like surrounds that also last indefinitely but I am not a fan of the "Klipsch sound" which sacrifices accuracy for efficiency. Flame suit on, but that is my opinion/taste. :-) In any event, I'm sure you will enjoy this sonic adventure.

Klipsch sound paired with a Fisher 500c is absolutely fantastic- give it a listen sometime!

likebikes
02-24-2015, 12:45 AM
I really like my yamaha cr-240, sounds great, enough power, looks great...

dcktr1014
02-24-2015, 01:04 AM
Check out this company for a DAC
Audioengine (http://audioengineusa.com/)

I know economy is the idea, but spend a little more on the speakers. More than you spend on anything else. Craigslist will be your friend.
Good Luck
Ron
(next to my bike, I love stereo stuff the most)

CaptStash
02-24-2015, 01:08 AM
...the audiophile route, look into NAD. The original NAD 3020 was an amazing integrated amplifier. Way more usable power than you could imagine. There was a 7020 receiver that combined the original 3020 integrated amp with a tuner. They come up on eBay fairly regularly. It will blow the doors off of anything ever made by Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer etc. It was closer in league to a McIntosh, at a fraction of the price. Ask the Google....

Captstash....

pcxmbfj
02-24-2015, 05:09 AM
Google search
Posted in 2005 so used pricing suspect.

"YAMAHA
RCV, CR- 440
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1980 - 1981
Additional Information:
Power: 30
Retail
MSRP: $325.00
USED: $60.00
Wholesale
Mint: $35.00
Average: $21.00

soulspinner
02-24-2015, 05:49 AM
...the audiophile route, look into NAD. The original NAD 3020 was an amazing integrated amplifier. Way more usable power than you could imagine. There was a 7020 receiver that combined the original 3020 integrated amp with a tuner. They come up on eBay fairly regularly. It will blow the doors off of anything ever made by Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer etc. It was closer in league to a McIntosh, at a fraction of the price. Ask the Google....

Captstash....

Yup

echelon_john
02-24-2015, 06:21 AM
I've been doing the vintage stereo thing for a while; my fetish has been Design Acoustics PS10 speakers with 70s receivers. If you're up for maintenance (new surrounds, replacing drivers as necessary) it's a great way to go.

That said, I'm looking at two options for speaker upgrades; one for my house, and another for my barn/office. For the house, I think I'm going with the Pioneer Andrew Jones-designed floor speakers. Incredible price/performance ratio, with almost universally terrific reviews. I'll add a subwoofer.

Speakers here:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS52-LR-Designed-standing-Loudspeaker/dp/B008NCD2S4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424780371&sr=8-2&keywords=andrew+jones+speakers

The other (and cooler!) option I'm going to put in my office are made by a couple in Portland, OR. Plywood body, simple design:

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/thrashers

velomonkey
02-24-2015, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback, all.

My home theatre setup is a marantz, but, I hate to say it - I think Yamaha looks nicer than the vintage marantz stuff. The full wood box outline, the all metal face and the knobs with their firm feel and great weight - just great looking and not built like that any longer. The guy whose stuff I am looking at cleans are the pots, replaces the builds, ensures all the outputs work - all that stuff. He typically comes in less than the Ebay sellers with 100% rating who do this, but more than if you just picked it up on Craigs List. The prices for these things have gone up as of late.

I'll keep looking for speakers, too. The mirages were considered, for back in their day, THE $300 speaker. I am fairly certain he replaced the foam and something else on the speakers. The speakers are for sure the secondary part of my purchase.

mister
02-24-2015, 07:15 AM

Captstash....

i don't think NAD is really any better than the other mid level vintage stuff
probably its just the NAD that worked best with your speakers/room/source

you just have to try stuff

giordana93
02-24-2015, 07:46 AM
If he were replacing the caps that would be a pretty good price but it is a bit high for just a good clean up. You could do better scouring craigslist, though that vintage yammie does have a nice warm sound. But for an office, you could get by with way less power, and you likely will not use the phono stage. What about the receiver? If you wont use that, I would check out one of the mini tri-path amp. Much smaller footprint and some will have a dac Otoh, I dig the old sound myself, it's just that my own yammie cr-240 just lost one of its channels. This stuff is pushing 30 years after all. So if you go vintage, I would try to get a lower price or at least some kind of warranty like a free or minimal cost trade in if this one dies. Agree with others about foam on speakers though I do not think the mirage are that old

staggerwing
02-24-2015, 07:53 AM
If you are mainly routing tunes from a computer, and want to play around inexpensively, take a look at the Topping TP-30. Little, class-T mini-amp with onboard DAC for less than a C-note. Has one extra line input too. I have the original version, but see the is a MK II now.

Of course, a classic receiver will give you some additional options, line a phone stage, a tuner, and tape loop. Hard to go too wrong with a late 70s- early 80s receiver. Still have a 30wpc Technics that my parents purchased for me back in 79 as an 8th grade graduation present. Works beautifully. With a good PC sound card, you can route analog output signal to one of the receiver inputs with a 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable; readily available on Amazon, and other sources. My son does this with his laptop and iPod.

Like my class Klipsch Forte II's, but a little large for most people. For smaller setups, I'm a huge fan of KEF, they always seem to sound very natural. Not going to fill a room, or power a party with them, but just perfect for casual listening. From our shores, you might look for various options from NHT (stands for Now Hear This). Like KEF, they are still in business and support their past productsa. Have a pair of their SW2p subs supplementing the bottom end of the Forte II's in our living room AV setup. Great fun.

Saint Vitus
02-24-2015, 07:59 AM
It's tough to compete with memories such as dad's stereo, but things to consider are electrolytic capacitors in the amp and as mentioned, foam surrounds (unless they're fabric or butyl rubber). I have a newer NAD integrated amp and Rogers LS1 for home theater and as much as I watch the TV, it's perfect.

fuzzalow
02-24-2015, 08:01 AM
Lots of decent stereo can be recovered from many of the big names in hifi from the 1980s and earlier. Many of the components from the day were not designed and built as throwaway consumer goods as is largely the case today.

Almost all of the stuff has to be reconditioned. All the capacitors over the 30+ years have dried out or drifted from spec so you will have to re-cap it yourself or have someone do it. It is labor intensive so it won't be cheap.

Dunno about particular brands, Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, Yamaha, Tandberg (!) all good receivers from the golden era. Buy the one that has the best lights on the front panel! Macintosh was always good gear although I don't think they made a receiver until more modern times. Macs were always made in Binghamton NY USA. Any vintage Mac is worth going after and bringing back into service.

echelon_john
02-24-2015, 08:05 AM
On a related note, does anyone (especially in the Northeast) have a good resource for receiver repairs? I have an old Fisher Studio Standard that I bought in college which has developed a hum. It's value is almost entirely sentimental (although it does kick ass), so I don't want to spend TONS to get it fixed, but I'd love to have it looked at.

???

Thanks,
JC

SlackMan
02-24-2015, 08:35 AM
i don't think NAD is really any better than the other mid level vintage stuff
probably its just the NAD that worked best with your speakers/room/source

you just have to try stuff

I'll respectfully disagree here. The NAD 3020 sounded so fantastic because of its very high headroom which meant that it was almost never strained across a huge range of speakers, room, source combinations with which it was paired. That is why it's legendary among audio equipment. It would mop the floor with anything else in its price range.

mcteague
02-24-2015, 08:45 AM
I'll respectfully disagree here. The NAD 3020 sounded so fantastic because of its very high headroom which meant that it was almost never strained across a huge range of speakers, room, source combinations with which it was paired. That is why it's legendary among audio equipment. It would mop the floor with anything else in its price range.

My issue with NAD was poor reliability. I had issues with an integrated amp, tuner and 2 CD players. The amp and tuner were out of warranty when things started going up. The CD player was new and the replacement had the same failure. Moved on to other, more reliable brands such as Adcom, Rotel and Oppo.

Tim

pcxmbfj
02-24-2015, 08:46 AM
http://www.audiokarma.org/

The link above is the one of the most extensive site for vintage information I've found.

In my experience if more than a good cleaning and de-oxification (for which there are many instructions on the above) is required be prepared to spend more than the unit is worth unless you can solder.

If you decide to go forward with a refurb same site will get you in contact with techs.

Many units are worth the cost.

josephr
02-24-2015, 08:50 AM

eh? as opposed to a muddy-a$$ Bose which sacrifices everything for loud??? Apparently you're not powering your Klipsch correctly --- you need clean power for those --- NAD, Caver, Adcom, or best yet, McIntosh tube amp.

The CR 440 is nice --- anything Yamaha is good, clean stuff....used to be a separate DA converter was considered an upgrade, but with modern systems, the DA technology has progressed to making it a non-issue. Like everyone else -- good stuff came from Japan in the 70s and 80s -- Yamaha, Sansui, Onkyo...

I've not tried one of those gizmos --- but I don't see the point either as Pandora and others stream at a relatively low bit-rate unless you're going to pay for the service. There's not much help a good DAC can do to something ripped 128kbps.

Lot of modern receivers have built in DACs --- if you have a good sound card, just route a digital line to your receiver, let it do all the unencoding for you.

Saint Vitus
02-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Classic Klipsch (and others) have fabric accordian-like surrounds that also last indefinitely but I am not a fan of the "Klipsch sound" which sacrifices accuracy for efficiency. Flame suit on, but that is my opinion/taste. :-)

Paul W. Klipsch used to go to AES shows with a button that read: BULLSH*T!

Almost all of the stuff has to be reconditioned. All the capacitors over the 30+ years have dried out or drifted from spec so you will have to re-cap it yourself or have someone do it. It is labor intensive so it won't be cheap.

This, and for the most part we're only talking about electrolytics, for the simple fact that as they age they really degrade and in typical modern solid state audio electronics they are used throughout the circuit design including the signal path as decoupling which really effects the quality of sound. I've re-capped multitrack tape machines, talk about a chore...

I have an old Fisher Studio Standard that I bought in college which has developed a hum. It's value is almost entirely sentimental (although it does kick ass), so I don't want to spend TONS to get it fixed, but I'd love to have it looked at.

See above. Probably the power supply, so it would be quick work to sort out and therefore reasonable. Of course what's reasonable these days?

IJWS
02-24-2015, 09:22 AM
A vintage amp sounds fun and interesting, vintage speakers sound like a nightmare, a fatiguing nightmare where your ears are strained, but you're also trying to convince everyone around you how great your stereo sounds. I would highly suggest having fun having a vintage amp restored, and then pairing that with some speakers made after the year 2000. Speaker technology--especially for bookshelf/monitor/perfect for the office speakers--has increased immensely. Also, this DAC (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703DGNFLY2/AudioQuest-DragonFly-v1-2.html?tp=59309&awkw=75622180825&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47439278185&awdv=c) is worth considering. Don't mind the fact that it's on Crutchfield, that's just the first link google spat out at me.

you know, technically, the person that suggested the topping chip amp is right. My $60 chip amp blows away my vintage NAD...but then again you weren't really asking for that kind of advice were you? Vintage amp, modern speakers, DAC, you should be very happy.

echelon_john
02-24-2015, 09:40 AM
You guys who are running the stripped down/chip amps: can you elaborate a little more on the setup? Adequate power? I/O? I'm intrigued, since pretty much all I do is stream music.

Do you still need a power amp, or is THIS the power amp?

(sorry...I'm an English major...)

mtechnica
02-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Been into this stuff since I was a kid and I'd have to agree with the just try stuff route. I also think the majority of vintage speakers suck but often the ones with good cabinets work out OK. There are some cheap ones like the advent large that aren't bad and there are some bargain 80s stuff out there too. As far as recievers, the more power the better usually, and don't forget a turntable since cheap vinyl is everywhere if you're motivated to go browsing. Lastly learning to solder and re wire things is very helpful as often times stuff you find needs some kind of repair.

sc53
02-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Stick with the Yamaha, to remind you of your Dad. The HRT streamers are excellent for the price. There are a number of these small inexpensive USB DACs available now--Audioquest Dragonfly v.1.2 is another one, I've used it and it is very good for $100. Scroll through the demo offerings at Music Direct (mail order vinyl and equipment place in Chicago) to save on the HRT, Audioquest, iFi, NAD, and other tiny DACs.
http://www.musicdirect.com/c-606-digital-to-analog-converters.aspx?sortfield=Price&sortdirection=ASC&perpage=24&BrandFilterID=0
Also--I just got an email about this new "retro" looking modern system from Music Direct. This is exactly how my college stereo used to look! Pricey but cool.
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-276032-ifi-retro-stereo-system.aspx?source=igodigital&

IJWS
02-24-2015, 10:09 AM
You guys who are running the stripped down/chip amps: can you elaborate a little more on the setup? Adequate power? I/O? I'm intrigued, since pretty much all I do is stream music.

John, Right now I'm running this SMSL 50 (http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-TDA7492-Integrated-Tripath-Amplifier/dp/B00F0H8TOC) which powers a pair of Mission M71 (http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/511/)'s from the early 2000's that I found on ebay for $140. I stream music from spotify, and a I have a vintage Bang and Olufsen Beogram 8002 turntable (with a working MMC20CL cartridge!!!).

I've had this setup for about 4 months. It was replacing a more expensive (but still "budget" (NAD amp, KEF speakers, Pro-Ject turntable) audiophile system that I lost in a fire. I am so pleased with this, ultra-cheap setup. I'm considering a DAC, and another phono preamp in the future, but I am really happy with the amp and speakers. The amplification is super-clean and consistent, and paired with the speakers, my little sub-$300 system is very musical with decent imaging. The size of the speakers handles everything but bass-heavy rock very well. (U2 doesn't sound fantastic but James Blake does--go figure.) 50 watts from a chip amp is more than enough to drive the speakers and more likely larger ones as well. I bought the amp on a whim last year since t-amps review so well and I was interested. I waited on the speakers for a while and those, along with some kef iQ30's were my stable ebay searches. I couldn't recommend this setup enough. Definitely get a t-amp, and spend the rest of your budget on the best speakers you can find.

josephr
02-24-2015, 10:16 AM

it all depends! :banana:

like bicycles, there's a hundred different ways to skin a cat when it comes to audio equipment -- I used to be into complex systems, planar speakers, tube amps, and stuff...but now I'm stuck in the basement so happy with a good pair of Infinity 2-way speakers, a Yamaha integrated amp, and an iPod. Its relatively clean sound and loud enough to piss off the wife.

The OP is trying to set up a vintage system and stream from his computer using it as the music source. Since a vintage amplifier/receiver won't take a digital input, he's asking two questions 1) best route to get to a 2-channel signal (regular ole stereo) via RCA plugs and 2) is this a good used amp on eBay for what he's trying accomplish.

Its sorta hard to answer the questions really --- everyone has their own tastes and desires and preferences. Really, I think running a patch cable to convert from a miniplug (in the back of his computer) to two RCA plugs (the back of the amp/receiver) is the simplest solution.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424794523&sr=8-2&keywords=miniplug+to+RCA

staggerwing
02-24-2015, 10:34 AM

For the case of the Topping TP-30, all you need is your source computer, a classic (as opposed to the micro sized, used with phones) USB cable, and set of speakers. My home kitchen computer setup is a TP-30 running a set of Pioneer SP-BS21 bookself speakers, and an SW-8 sub. The TP-30 is small enough to hang out on the top of one of the SP-SB21s.

You can go way fancier than this, but the Topping/Pioneer combo beats the living daylights out of 98% of powered "computer" speakers and was less than $225 all in. Those Pioneers can frequently be found on sale.

Of course, if already have a set of speakers, you don't need to add anything more than the TP-30 and USB cable.

Ken Robb
02-24-2015, 10:44 AM
Klipsch sound paired with a Fisher 500c is absolutely fantastic- give it a listen sometime!

I owned a Fisher 500C and a Fisher 400 and they sounded fine with my AR3A speakers when they were all new. The "classic" Klipsch sspeakers are still made and still have that of years. A couple of years ago I listened to a pair of almost new Heresy III speakers that were offered on Craigslist. I wondered if I would prefer them over my ADS 520 in my bedroom system but I thought they were a little lacking in detail.

I have never done any critical listening to the modern Klipsch line because no good local retailer sells them. Maybe I would like them. The demo room at Best Buy is a poor venue to hear anything other than the salesman's blathering. :)

velomonkey
02-24-2015, 11:03 AM
Regarding my office - It's not an office like a room, it's my 3rd floor and it's one big open space. Probably 35 feet long and 15 feet wide with an angular ceiling. My plan is to set up my computer and music stereo on one side and then a slight man-cave TV with 5.1 on the other side. That will be later.

Streaming - Yea, spotify and Pandora are out. There are new hi-fi quality higher bit rate sites. Tidal being the newest and with a large library that includes Led Zeppelin. I've read that even if you hook up a good receiver and speakers and get a decent DAC that typical iTunes MP3 files sound even better, not perfect, but certainly better. The sound card quality of a laptop just isn't great and even Jobs with iTunes did an improvement over what most people hear.

peanutgallery
02-24-2015, 11:14 AM
I have a Yamaha rx-485 in the garage hooked up to some bose 501's that I found in someones driveway. The receiver was in my Grandfather's house after he passed, so it's sentimental. The speakers looked really rough but work perfectly, great for the garage. My better half lets me fly the Led Zep flag and turn it up to 11 - in the garage. Interior of the house has been taken over by bluetooth

IJWS
02-24-2015, 11:28 AM
or, just go for something completely different (https://www.naimaudio.com/mu-so): that does exactly what you want it to do...

https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/muso/images/mu-so_05_0.jpg

josephr
02-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Regarding my office - It's not an office like a room, it's my 3rd floor and it's one big open space. Probably 35 feet long and 15 feet wide with an angular ceiling. My plan is to set up my computer and music stereo on one side and then a slight man-cave TV with 5.1 on the other side. That will be later.

Streaming - Yea, spotify and Pandora are out. There are new hi-fi quality higher bit rate sites. Tidal being the newest and with a large library that includes Led Zeppelin. I've read that even if you hook up a good receiver and speakers and get a decent DAC that typical iTunes MP3 files sound even better, not perfect, but certainly better. The sound card quality of a laptop just isn't great and even Jobs with iTunes did an improvement over what most people hear.

thinking I have a better picture now...sounds like you've basically got it figured out with the inexpensive amp from eBay and the external DAC. No real need that I see to go vintage unless you really aspire to be retro-grouchy. That Topping TP-30 looks like a better option though --- some decent bookshelf speakers. I'd suggest a basic 2-way with a 6" woofer and make sure it has a dome/piezo style tweeter. Any maker should be pretty good -- JBL/Harmon Kardon, Boston Acoustics, Infinity, Klipsch, Yamaha....

I can't imagine paying for a streaming service...put too much time and $ into building my own library!

Saint Vitus
02-24-2015, 11:50 AM
A vintage amp sounds fun and interesting, vintage speakers sound like a nightmare, a fatiguing nightmare where your ears are strained, but you're also trying to convince everyone around you how great your stereo sounds. I would highly suggest having fun having a vintage amp restored, and then pairing that with some speakers made after the year 2000. Speaker technology--especially for bookshelf/monitor/perfect for the office speakers--has increased immensely.

Yes, no, maybe. There are just too many variables to take that assertion seriously here and derail the OP's thread. But... for the average user/listener/marriage counselor, finding something more modern makes sense if you just want good audio.

velomonkey
02-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Oh yea, let me be clear - I want to go retro and and know full-well there are going to be some issues given the age. This is totally analogous to going with a used lugged steel frame when you can get a perfectly fine new carbon bike. I figure I should be in totally like minded company here. : ) Like I said, it reminds me of my dad way back when and there is a certain romance with the finish and the knobs dials. I only wish it had the tangible needles moving around with the music!!!!

Like a fool I sold my entire vinyl collection on usenet back in college when everyone was going CD. I then got rid of my CDs when I basically ripped them all but to a non-lossless format :no:

thinking I have a better picture now...sounds like you've basically got it figured out with the inexpensive amp from eBay and the external DAC. No real need that I see to go vintage unless you really aspire to be retro-grouchy. That Topping TP-30 looks like a better option though --- some decent bookshelf speakers. I'd suggest a basic 2-way with a 6" woofer and make sure it has a dome/piezo style tweeter. Any maker should be pretty good -- JBL/Harmon Kardon, Boston Acoustics, Infinity, Klipsch, Yamaha....

I can't imagine paying for a streaming service...put too much time and $ into building my own library!

staggerwing
02-24-2015, 12:11 PM

I know I've been beating the bush on the Topping, but please understand I view it as a "near field" solution. A little amp like that, even when coupled to the greatest bookshelf speakers ever made, might sound a bit thin in a room of that size. But for listening close, that type of setup is perfect.

It's a royal pain in the backside, but I've ripped most of my extensive CD collection to FLAC for my ongoing listening pleasure. Perhaps shouldn't be mentioned out loud, but obscure holes have been filled in with source material from the local public library system. Depending on your favorite band, you can find some really cool stuff on archive.org. For example, I'm a fan of The Mermen, a west-coast, neo-surf outfit, and there's hours worth of well recorded live stuff on archive.org for them. Some of hobbyist "tapers" take their craft very seriously.

Fill a cheap, USB hardrive, and hang it off of a wireless router. Going higher up the food chain, you could plug a NAS type appliance into one of your routers ethernet ports. Very useful for other reasons too. So many ways to skin the cat.

Life is better with tunes.

staggerwing
02-24-2015, 12:13 PM
I then got rid of my CDs when I basically ripped them all but to a non-lossless format :no:

Check your local library system. If you already owned them, suppose a bit of a "hall pass" is in order if you want to upgrade to a lossless format.

Suppose most of us made the mistake of ripping to a lossy format when storage was a bit more dear to the wallet.

Saint Vitus
02-24-2015, 12:31 PM

And at the end of the day, this is fact.

I heard a piece the other day about a project to bring music to dementia patients and the results were impressive. The challenge they found though was to make individual playlists for each patient based on music they grew up listening to as this would tease out the life locked up within their minds.

velomonkey
02-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Life is good/better with tunes. I tend to be bleeding edge - I literally purchased two albums off of iTunes in the first day of their launch - which was mac only back then and a small market. I saw the future. Unfortunately, my wife made me get rid of my stereo system not 6 months prior as we didn't have room for tower speakers with a new kid.

Question: Does anyone know why the audio CD when it came out could hold 74 minutes worth of music? Don't use google, I do this little number of my class at Yale to show the students how formats can be born.

Scuzzer
02-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Question: Does anyone know why the audio CD when it came out could hold 74 minutes worth of music?

That was how long a favorite Beethoven symphony was that the head of Sony wanted on one disc. Or was it a Bach symphony that the Sony Chairman's wife liked? I forget the particulars now.

josephr
02-24-2015, 12:53 PM
I sold my entire vinyl collection on usenet.

that says a lot!!! So when you're saying retro and you're looking at the CR-440, you're looking at 70s stuff? IIRC, the 440 is 40wpc, which is plenty of power for a basic 2-way speaker like those Mirage. 8" woofer and 1' dome tweeter --- best set-up ever IMO.

In my college days, I ran an Yamaha AX400 with Acoustic Research 17s which would be a very similar set-up. When I graduated and got a job, I traded those speakers for a pair of Bose 301, thinking that was the bomb (boy, was I wrong!). The 301s were nice, but they really needed more power and I've moved on without regret. Been through a LOT of different set-ups since then, but I'm back to basics with an AX-500 and the Infinity 2-ways.

If the foam surround on the speakers needs to replaced, its a fairly easy operation and can usually find replacement kits on the net easy. If you can glue a tubular or tape a handlebar, you've got the attention to detail, hand coordination, and ability to follow basic directions as anyone else. Just be sure to get the old glue off best you can. Come to think of it -- if there's even any question about the surrounds, I'd go ahead and replace them based on the age of the speaker.

pics when you're done!

sitzmark
02-24-2015, 01:04 PM
I've read that even if you hook up a good receiver and speakers and get a decent DAC that typical iTunes MP3 files sound even better, not perfect, but certainly better. The sound card quality of a laptop just isn't great and even Jobs with iTunes did an improvement over what most people hear.

If you have a reasonably sized personal library that was ripped at low quality, Apple's $25/yr plan for iTunes Match is a decent option. For that amount, iTunes will scour your digital library and if the song is part of iTune's library you automatically get access to stream it at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free to any device. Doesn't matter what quality you ripped it at. Easy and inexpensive way to upgrade and have access anywhere with a connected device.

thwart
02-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Stick with the Yamaha, to remind you of your Dad. The HRT streamers are excellent for the price. There are a number of these small inexpensive USB DACs available now--Audioquest Dragonfly v.1.2 is another one, I've used it and it is very good for $100. Scroll through the demo offerings at Music Direct (mail order vinyl and equipment place in Chicago) to save on the HRT, Audioquest, iFi, NAD, and other tiny DACs.
http://www.musicdirect.com/c-606-digital-to-analog-converters.aspx?sortfield=Price&sortdirection=ASC&perpage=24&BrandFilterID=0
Also--I just got an email about this new "retro" looking modern system from Music Direct. This is exactly how my college stereo used to look! Pricey but cool.
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-276032-ifi-retro-stereo-system.aspx?source=igodigital&

At the risk of sounding like Joe Biden... a woman into bikes and audio equipment?

Yikes. ;)

echelon_john
02-24-2015, 01:35 PM
This is so helpful. So is there a 'middle ground' solution that's like the Topping on steroids that would have enough punch for a larger space but maintain the simplicity and/or small footprint?

Would something like this be worth considering?
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

Sorry for the thread drift OP!

I know I've been beating the bush on the Topping, but please understand I view it as a "near field" solution. A little amp like that, even when coupled to the greatest bookshelf speakers ever made, might sound a bit thin in a room of that size. But for listening close, that type of setup is perfect.

It's a royal pain in the backside, but I've ripped most of my extensive CD collection to FLAC for my ongoing listening pleasure. Perhaps shouldn't be mentioned out loud, but obscure holes have been filled in with source material from the local public library system. Depending on your favorite band, you can find some really cool stuff on archive.org. For example, I'm a fan of The Mermen, a west-coast, neo-surf outfit, and there's hours worth of well recorded live stuff on archive.org for them. Some of hobbyist "tapers" take their craft very seriously.

Fill a cheap, USB hardrive, and hang it off of a wireless router. Going higher up the food chain, you could plug a NAS type appliance into one of your routers ethernet ports. Very useful for other reasons too. So many ways to skin the cat.

velomonkey
02-24-2015, 02:12 PM
That was how long a favorite Beethoven symphony was that the head of Sony wanted on one disc. Or was it a Bach symphony that the Sony Chairman's wife liked? I forget the particulars now.

Give that man the prize!!! Yup: it was symphony number 9 - I forget what composer, but basically it was a huge selling point. You could now listen to Symphony number 9 in it's entirety from start to finish in complete clarity without having to flip or change a record.

josephr
02-24-2015, 02:16 PM
This is so helpful. So is there a 'middle ground' solution that's like the Topping on steroids that would have enough punch for a larger space but maintain the simplicity and/or small footprint?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

@40 watts, that device has a little more juice, but doesn't have any digital-to-analog conversion like the Topping --- you'd still have to run an analog signal from somewhere.

velomonkey
02-24-2015, 02:21 PM
that says a lot!!! So when you're saying retro and you're looking at the CR-440, you're looking at 70s stuff? IIRC, the 440 is 40wpc, which is plenty of power for a basic 2-way speaker like those Mirage. 8" woofer and 1' dome tweeter --- best set-up ever IMO.

pics when you're done!

For sure I will!!! As usual pace line is the place. My dad had his setup in his office - which was basically a decent sized downstairs bedroom. We always had music going - mostly late 60s early 70s: Cat Stevens, Linda R, Fleetwood Mac, Crosby Stills - you get the picture. He would program on a northstar computer and then right before he passed we got an Apple II. He woke my brother up at night cause he knocked every brick out in breakout - and basically we hadn't ever seen it done.

I did a workbench project with my ten year old son and that came out great and we take apart old computers and I tech him the parts and then we put them back together. Hoping he can see/hear the same with this. I go tomorrow to check out the stuff.

sc53
02-24-2015, 02:32 PM
At the risk of sounding like Joe Biden... a woman into bikes and audio equipment?

Yikes. ;)
I know! Odd, isn't it? I know a few other female bike geeks and one other female audiophile but no other cross-overs (both hobbies).

jet sanchez
02-24-2015, 02:33 PM
I found a neat old AKAI turntable made from cherry wood at Value Village for $25 but it needed a belt. Luckily, there is a vintage stereo repair shop just around the corner from me, I took these photos when I went in a few months ago.

http://i.imgur.com/PGzhepF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OcRFBPi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RfQMtDf.jpg

sc53
02-24-2015, 02:36 PM

I've got this (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAD3020) in a bedroom with some small Silverline monitors and it is really good! NAD also makes a similarly sized D7050 that streams your music for you as well as everything the D3020 does. There are a lot of options out there now. Check out Music Direct, Crutchfield, and Audio Advisor.

staggerwing
02-24-2015, 03:06 PM

The Topping TP32EX has more grunt, while still having a built-in DAC, but it is a significant jump in price. Not much of a fan of push button volume controls either, but that is a personal point.

At that point, I would likely just couple a modern DAC to a classic integrated amp or receiver.

echelon_john
02-24-2015, 03:26 PM
OK, this is probably a really stupid question, so tell me to go google if you want: What is the advantage of a DAC over simply plugging into the RCA connectors from an Airport Express or directly from a device?

Right now, I have Airport Expresses running into old receivers.

Does using Airport Express defeat the purpose of a DAC with an amp like the Topper?

Thanks guys!

Saint Vitus
02-24-2015, 04:20 PM
I found a neat old AKAI turntable made from cherry wood at Value Village for $25 but it needed a belt. Luckily, there is a vintage stereo repair shop just around the corner from me, I took these photos when I went in a few months ago.

http://i.imgur.com/RfQMtDf.jpg

Dude, there's a Thorens deck! To heck with the Asian stuff lol

josephr
02-24-2015, 04:26 PM
OK, this is probably a really stupid question, so tell me to go google if you want: What is the advantage of a DAC over simply plugging into the RCA connectors from an Airport Express or directly from a device?

Does using Airport Express defeat the purpose of a DAC with an amp like the Topper?

Thanks guys!

minimal at best (some may disagree) but the DAC conversion in your iPod is probably as good as any dedicated DAC device....but, that's what the OP is dealing with is that he wants a better DAC than what his laptop has. The difference is that iPods are geared towards producing quality analog signal, whereas a laptop's sound board probably not so much. If I understand the OP correctly, if he had a desktop, he'd probably just get a good soundcard and run a line to the amplifier.

giordana93
02-24-2015, 05:13 PM

Then my vote goes for the yamaha; just ask about a nice price for a repair or replacement if it dies on you as a reassurance for an "extended warranty". I loved my cr240 till it lost the left channel. Mp3 will never sound good if you listen critically

Ken Robb
02-24-2015, 05:57 PM
The mystery symphony is Beethoven's Ninth and it is marvelous.
I am slightly perplexed and wonder: If we believe that a quality sound system should reproduce sound over a wide frequency range at realistic volume with minimal distortion why do we care if we are listening to rock where the performers deliberately introduce distortion as part of their playing? I know what a violin or piano sound like live and when reproduced on a good system but how do I know how much over-modulation, fuzz,etc. a rock band intended. I surely want plenty of volume and wide frequency response but maybe distortion-free reproduction doesn't matter much for rock?

IJWS
02-24-2015, 06:01 PM
I've got this (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAD3020) in a bedroom with some small Silverline monitors and it is really good! NAD also makes a similarly sized D7050 that streams your music for you as well as everything the D3020 does. There are a lot of options out there now. Check out Music Direct, Crutchfield, and Audio Advisor.

:( Now I'm the one looking for an amp! That D 3020 looks great. I love the idea of NAD and class D. Tell me everything that's wrong with it so I can get the idea out of my head!

jghall
02-24-2015, 06:37 PM
As others have mentioned, just likes bikes, stereo stuff easily fits into the category of; “to each his/her own”.

Other than nostalgia, personally I see no reason to use vintage gear. I'd take a pair of Pioneer bs22 speakers and a newer receiver/ integrated amp beforehand. Not that those Sansui and Marantz power meters are not the bomb.

Even some of the lower end receivers have decent dacs.

There are quite a few inexpensive and nice sounding dacs out there. Schiit would be at the top of my list.

SlackMan
02-24-2015, 06:43 PM

Thanks guys!

I noticed a big difference in sound quality between the Airport Express and a Musical Fidelity VDAC, which I think can be had for about $200 or so. So, I had optical digital signal out of the Airport Express into the VDAC, and then from VDAC RCAs to preamp and then power amp.

fuzzalow
02-24-2015, 06:58 PM

Second photo, Technics SP-15 turntable in the display case is not too shabby either. First cousin to the legendary Technics SP-10. Another technology showpiece from the Japanese consumer electronics giants that works even today until the microchip in the motor drive goes and that chip hasn't been made in 20 years.

What a motley mix of gear in that shop! Some of that stuff is absolutely worthless, some others less so.

avalonracing
02-24-2015, 07:14 PM
It's kinda funny how many of us are talking about the great sound we got from the systems of our youth in the 1970's and 80's and giving advice as to what has the best/fullest/most accurate sound but none of us who was around when they made that equipment has the hearing of a 20 year-old to actually appreciate the sound anymore and we are fooling ourselves if we think we do.

That said, I "upgraded" my two-channel Adcom amp to a modern mid-level Yamaha (and later a Denon) receiver a while back so I could have all the convenience of HDMI and tons of inputs. But despite the high power rating on these new receivers they just don't compare to the sound from that Adcom.

And oh, I'm using some Klipsch KG4 speakers (rubber surrounds) as the left and right channels and they still sound great. I bought them new in 1988 and they have been one of the best purchases ever.

staggerwing
02-24-2015, 07:17 PM
I am slightly perplexed and wonder: If we believe that a quality sound system should reproduce sound over a wide frequency range at realistic volume with minimal distortion why do we care if we are listening to rock where the performers deliberately introduce distortion as part of their playing? I know what a violin or piano sound like live and when reproduced on a good system but how do I know how much over-modulation, fuzz,etc. a rock band intended. I surely want plenty of volume and wide frequency response but maybe distortion-free reproduction doesn't matter much for rock?

While I understand your point, I don't agree. Perhaps we might agree, a good sound system should, as faithfully as possible, accurately amplify and reproduce whatever signal is thrown to it. No matter how good the technical components, and quality of the setup, it will never faithfully reproduce the dynamics of seeing live music, acoustic or electric.

I do understand it might be easier to hear discrepancies in the reproduction of an orchestral recording over a rock concert. Give me some electric guitar chords, from an unknown musician, and if blinded, I might not be able to tell you if it is any more properly reproduced on a high end setup, versus a budget system. However, if it was an artist known to me, say Neil Young, and and the tone came out pinched and flat, as opposed to warm and widely dynamic, even though he plays with generous amounts of distortion, then they system didn't do what was asked of it, and it would be noticeable. Then again, add his vocals into the mix, and well, it just doesn't sound proper on a cheap setup. Thankfully, rock music is often far more than highly distorted guitar.

For certain, there are a many awful sounding recordings out there, particularly in the rock/pop genre. And if you haven't seen/heard about it, noodle "loudness war."

http://www.npr.org/2009/12/31/122114058/the-loudness-wars-why-music-sounds-worse

Whatever, on a quality audio system, good recordings, regardless of genre are going to be moving, and poor recordings are going to make you cringe.

If you are on a budget, a revealing entry audio system may be as simple as a pair of Grado SR80i headphone and an inexpensive headphone amp.

chuckroast
02-24-2015, 07:18 PM
I'll cop to a weakness for vintage receivers. I have a Yammy 240 up in the garage. It was demoted from it's home office spot when I picked up a Yamaha CR 820 for $35 at a garage sale. Both look and sound fantastic (although in fairness, I probably don't hear as well as I once did).

In the Kitchen? A Sansui. Living room? My Sherwood from college.

What's the point? They look good, sound good and come with memories.

Go for it.

Md3000
02-24-2015, 07:32 PM

Rock musicians don't distort the entire recording, nor do they distort certain instruments just because they don't care how it sounds?? Maybe you won't recognize what the band intended but I can guarantee you there's a science behind all that distortion just like there's a science behind accurate reproduction of classical music. Listen on headphones to a queens of the Stone Age album, just to give you one example.

staggerwing
02-24-2015, 07:34 PM
And oh, I'm using some Klipsch KG4 speakers (rubber surrounds) as the left and right channels and they still sound great. I bought them new in 1988 and they have been one of the best purchases ever.

My Klipsch Forte II's are also from 88, and have never left service. Had a little upgrade recently with Crites titaniun tweeter diaphragms. Also built a set of his crossovers, but need to spend a couple hours to finish the installation. Don't have to worry about the WAF (spousal acceptance factor) on these monsters, as she purchased them for me. Don't think you will ever pry them from my hands.

I can understand where people might be underwhelmed by classic Klipsch's. Mine didn't sound great when they weren't properly placed in the room. Now that they are properly corner loaded, with 0 toe-in, they sound great. Also, most of classic Klipsch speakers are 25+ years old, and could use a rebuild/update of the crossovers, replacing the eletrolytic capacitors.

Sadly, the oldest son made off with the Adcom amp, and tuner/pre-amp.

jlwdm
02-24-2015, 07:51 PM
minimal at best (some may disagree) but the DAC conversion in your iPod is probably as good as any dedicated DAC device.....

I will disagree.

Jeff

avalonracing
02-24-2015, 08:32 PM
I can understand where people might be underwhelmed by classic Klipsch's. Mine didn't sound great when they weren't properly placed in the room. Now that they are properly corner loaded, with 0 toe-in, they sound great. Also, most of classic Klipsch speakers are 25+ years old, and could use a rebuild/update of the crossovers, replacing the eletrolytic capacitors.

Sadly, the oldest son made off with the Adcom amp, and tuner/pre-amp.

Get that Adcom back! ;)

jtakeda
02-24-2015, 08:42 PM

Its a TD 125 MKII to boot, nice deck. I need to get mine repaired :(

jemoryl
02-24-2015, 09:24 PM
On a related note, does anyone (especially in the Northeast) have a good resource for receiver repairs? I have an old Fisher Studio Standard that I bought in college which has developed a hum. It's value is almost entirely sentimental (although it does kick ass), so I don't want to spend TONS to get it fixed, but I'd love to have it looked at.

???

Thanks,
JC

If you have some classic stuff you want serviced you might contact these guys in the Binghamton, NY area:
http://www.audioclassics.com/

I grew up there, not too far from the McIntosh factory. When I asked my working class parents what they made there, they said something like uh....radios? Funny that everyone had GE or Magnavox radios, and I never did see anyone who owned the McIntosh kind. BTW, Rich Modaferri, who designed the legendary MR-78 receiver, was an avid cyclist. I remember doing some group rides with him as a teen back in the '70s.

rounder
02-24-2015, 09:45 PM
I am old and remember what it was like in the 60s and 70s.

One of my good friends had McIntosh preamp and power amp (I believe) that were tubed and Mc speakers. The sound quality was great...but the most important thing that mattered was the music...if the music was not good, who cared what it sounded like.

parris
02-24-2015, 10:15 PM
I live around the corner from Audio Classics and I stay away far FAR AWAY! it's dangerous to my checkbook. :) That being said when I needed some work done on an early 70's Yamaha receiver they directed me to United Radio in Syracuse. That's where they said they send a bunch of their older gear to be refurbished.

I've also heard decent stuff about HiOnFi in Dewitt which is basically a suburb of Syracuse. They sell and service many brands of gear.

I've got a few pieces of gear that I use and enjoy. My main small receiver is an early/mid 70's Yamaha Cr420 that's rated at around 25wpc I think. It's got a very nice phono and tuner stage. I run it through a pair of PSB Image 2B speakers and it plays very nicely indeed.

My "big" system which is in my garage is a Yamaha CA800 integrated amp rated at 60 or 65 wpc. But it can be switched to class A operation and I believe that the it's then rated at something like 12wpc. I run that through a pair of PSB Image B-25 speakers. I REALLY love the way this amp and speakers get along. I've looked at other speakers for both systems but at least for how I hear I enjoy the sound coming out of the PSB's.

When I want to switch things out I've got a Carver tfm 35 power amp rated at 250wpc that I run through a Michaelson and Austin tube preamp. Although it's got more power than the CA800 I prefer the Yamaha's sound signature.

Rpoole8537
02-25-2015, 05:28 AM
I was able to find a Nakamichi receiver and a pair of ADS L780's on CL a few years ago. Sounds fabulous at low volume and high volume. Paid about $175 for this set up. Fantastic deal.

pcxmbfj
02-25-2015, 02:11 PM
It's kinda funny how many of us are talking about the great sound we got from the systems of our youth in the 1970's and 80's and giving advice as to what has the best/fullest/most accurate sound but none of us who was around when they made that equipment has the hearing of a 20 year-old to actually appreciate the sound anymore and we are fooling ourselves if we think we do.

A lot of whom have never heard music from anything but TV and iphone.

The '70s had the amplifier wars and Cerwin-Vega volcano speakers.

joco
02-25-2015, 03:07 PM
If you have some classic stuff you want serviced you might contact these guys in the Binghamton, NY area:
http://www.audioclassics.com/

I grew up there, not too far from the McIntosh factory. When I asked my working class parents what they made there, they said something like uh....radios? Funny that everyone had GE or Magnavox radios, and I never did see anyone who owned the McIntosh kind. BTW, Rich Modaferri, who designed the legendary MR-78 receiver, was an avid cyclist. I remember doing some group rides with him as a teen back in the '70s.

Thanks for this... Ive been wanting some vintage McIntosh and don't trust eBay.

velomonkey
02-26-2015, 03:00 PM
OK, two quick pics. A few things - the receiver is on my desk because, no joke, I ran out of speaker cable and didn't have enough for the right speaker on the other side unless I pulled over the receiver. I am gonna get some cable and place the receiver on the file cabinet. The speakers need a stand, too.

The receiver is totally mint. Looks brand new. Sounds great. I'd say the sound is "warm" would be a fair assessment. The Mirage SB1 speakers look incredible, too. Someone clearly took care of these things. I am having issues with one of the speakers, though. I have two different speaker wires so it's hard to tell - like a fool I just didn't plan. I have Polk RTiA1s downstairs, and once I get the new speaker wire I will do some A-B testing to ensure it's not the reciever. Can't really see, but I got a HRT music streamer III in there, too.

Lucky Spoke placed for your amusement. Kanaven picture is in there, too ; ) and, yes, I need to vacuum.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8623/16469189450_cef4fb4557_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/r6jUff)IMG_5646 (https://flic.kr/p/r6jUff) by velomonkeys (https://www.flickr.com/people/88287752@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8561/16469189160_96149b9c1c_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/r6jUaf)IMG_5647 (https://flic.kr/p/r6jUaf) by velomonkeys (https://www.flickr.com/people/88287752@N06/), on Flickr

pcxmbfj
02-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Nice unit. You just made the 70's with this 1979 silver faced receiver.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/cr-440.shtml

IJWS
02-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Looks great! All you need now are some speaker stands and like, a shop-vac, or any other vacuum that can handle glassware!!!

rwsaunders
02-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Thanks...I just dusted off my Marantz 112 tuner, Technics SL-BD22D turntable and Kenwood KA-8006 integrated amp...so 1976. I sold my JBL L100 studio monitors back in the late 80's and now I see that a pair goes for $750-1,000.

This is a good site for owner and service manuals too...

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/112.shtml

likebikes
02-26-2015, 10:08 PM
looks great.
i really, really love the looks of those silver face yamaha recievers. brushed silver, those square toggle switches, those big round tuning/volume knobs... :banana:

Scuzzer
02-27-2015, 01:24 AM
Yep, silver faced amps/receivers just look right. Kinda like level top tubes on road bikes look right. I guess I just revealed my age.

Your setup looks fine, you just need to put a turntable on the filing cabinet.

mister
02-27-2015, 07:17 AM
I am having issues with one of the speakers, though. I have two different speaker wires so it's hard to tell - like a fool I just didn't plan.

nice looking reciever

just switch the speaker cables your using side to side in the rear of the receiver. if the problem moves to the other speaker you might have a problem with the output or cable. if it stays with the speaker then look to the speaker for the problem...

shovelhd
02-27-2015, 07:40 AM
If you need speaker wire, I've got plenty you can have for the postage. PM me.

buldogge
02-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Little late to the party...Was going to suggest a SMSL 793II for a DAC + small headphone amp.

My wife vanquished my room stereo after the little one was born (now 9)...couldn't take the Paradigm Studio Monitor's heft and amps on the floor.

Now a days I just run headphones.

I run out of either iMacs, or my Macbook Pro.

I have (3) simple set-ups:

iMac>HotAudio 'Dac The Destroyer' (USB)>Little Dot MK II>Senn HD 650
iMac>Schiit Modi (Optical)>Schiit Vali>Senn HD 598
Macbook Pro>Little Dot DAC_I>Little Dot MK III>Senn HD 650

The LD amps allow for some tube rolling when boredom sets in.

Just got the MK III a few weeks ago with the help of a fellow Paceliner.

Getting a new (to me) DAC with the help of another forumite shortly (hopefully).

I do dig on the vintage gear...but...used to gravitate towards later mid-fi stuff, mainly NAD, Adcom, Luxman, etc. Have a soft spot for tubes, distortion/feedback and all!

-Mark in St. Louis

Sean Mac
02-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Late to the party as well. Home yesterday on a sick day and found this thread. It got me thinking about how I could use my old Infinity bookshelf speakers (studio monitor 65's) that have been sitting unused for about 10 years. The speakers are nothing special, but I figure that they must be better than the Radio Shack powered computer speakers that I currently have in my basement.

In my case, I am looking for function over looks. The idea of the Topping t-chip amp I find quite appealing. Plug and play from my iPhone is what I am after.

However, in doing (lots) of research yesterday I came across a few amps made by a company called Dayton Audio. Is there anyone here that is familiar with either of these products and/or could give some guidance on Dayton Audio vs. Topping vs. SMSL? I don't want to spend a lot of money. However, at the same time I don't want to save a few bucks only to be disappointed with the results.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-1-class-t-ac-dc-battery-powered-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sean

buldogge
02-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Hey Sean...You're gonna need an iPhone dock of some kind, with audio out.

I don't know what your budget is, but Peachtree makes a nice DAC/Dock combo. The cheapest/nicest option though is probably the Pure i20:

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-i-20-30-Pin-iPhone-Speaker/dp/B0049MOK92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425142637&sr=8-1&keywords=Pure+i20

Feed this to your amp of choice (like the Topping, or SMSL) via RCA, or feed the digital signal to a higher quality DAC first.

-Mark

Late to the party as well. Home yesterday on a sick day and found this thread. It got me thinking about how I could use my old Infinity bookshelf speakers (studio monitor 65's) that have been sitting unused for about 10 years. The speakers are nothing special, but I figure that they must be better than the Radio Shack powered computer speakers that I currently have in my basement.

In my case, I am looking for function over looks. The idea of the Topping t-chip amp I find quite appealing. Plug and play from my iPhone is what I am after.

However, in doing (lots) of research yesterday I came across a few amps made by a company called Dayton Audio. Is there anyone here that is familiar with either of these products and/or could give some guidance on Dayton Audio vs. Topping vs. SMSL? I don't want to spend a lot of money. However, at the same time I don't want to save a few bucks only to be disappointed with the results.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-1-class-t-ac-dc-battery-powered-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sean

jghall
02-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Nice looking receiver there. Got to love power meters. Enjoy.

Peter P.
03-01-2015, 05:31 AM
A couple weeks ago, my sister broke a pair of speakers at her hair salon. I offered to give her a pair from my bedroom system. They were truly cheap-single 5 1/4" drivers from a Sylvania compact (turntable on top of a tuner, all in the same cabinet) The compact portion was long gone; I was now powering the speakers with a 35W/channel Yamaha receiver. We're talking 40 year old speakers.

When she saw them she laughed and said the girls at the shop would never allow them in the salon, so we went shopping for a new pair and I took my insulted speakers home.

I reconnect them and listen; they're buzzing. Hoping there's something wrong with them so I'll have an excuse to buy new speakers, I pry off the non-removable grills. Yes! The foam surround of the first speaker is totally disintigrated.

While I like to buy new things, especially when the purchase is justified, I hate to spend money.

My first thought is to replace both drivers with car stereo 5 1/4"ers. I take the measurements and plow through the Crutchfield catalog. This would be the cheapest route; $40-80.

Then I start to think that the receiver and speakers in my bedroom is way overkill, since I only listen to NPR on FM there. Why not replace the setup with a nice table radio with an alarm clock?

I search what's available: Bose, Tivoli, Sangean etc., prying $350+ dollars out of my hands is tough, because it'll leave me with an unused receiver, and all the units I found on line had some drawback which turned me off- The Bose no longer has top mounted controls but requires the remote, for example.

Then I start to think about Craigslist. Yeah; surely I'll find cheap, used speakers looking for a new home. I'd always wanted a pair of Bose 301's. Sure enough, there's a pair for sale less than 10 miles away for a good price. Problem is, they need to fit under my end table. I measure; ask the seller to measure, and learn they're too long. Dang.

I'm particular about Craigslist selling. If your ad has spelling errors, poor grammar, or little effort put forth to describe your item, you're either not trustworthy or the product is really junk. I passed over a lot of possibilities.

Then I turned to eBay. I didn't like the idea of paying hefty shipping fees for heavy speakers, even if they were bookshelf models; gotta factor that into the bidding price... I'm also thinking I have to keep the purchase price down to what I'd pay for those car stereo speakers I mentioned above: $40-80, because now that I know that's the cheapest I would have to pay to get my system running again, I have a benchmark to meet :)

Yesterday, as luck would have it, I see there's a pair of Bose 161's for sale for $60 a mere 30 minute drive away. I have no idea what they sound like but hey; I'm using them for NPR so I don't need anything fancy; they'll fit under the end table, and the price is right. I contact the seller and ask if I could buy them direct to avoid the PayPal and shipping fees.

I wait several hours when he contacts me and says "no problem". I can tell from the phone call this is a straight up, honest guy. This will be a good transaction. I agree to meet him in his town in 45 minutes. Google says it'll take 35 to get there so I bring a book just in case I need to kill 10 minutes.

Smooth sailing UNTIL I'm 10 minutes away from my destination. A car accident in Waterbury on I-84 has traffic slowed to a creep. I'm doomed; the seller will surely have lost patience and left, thinking I'm a jerk who stiffed him. I'm considering turning around and heading home. But the mantra of "gotta complete the mission" is in my head.

I arrive at the meeting point 30 minutes late and lo' and behold, the seller is still there! This guy is so sharp, and knowing I'd be driving through trouble-prone Waterbury, he checked the traffic cams on-line before leaving and SAW the accident, so he gave me extra time. I gave HIM an extra 5 bucks for my shame at being late.

I get home and excitedly hook up the Bose's. They have 2, 2 1/2" drivers in each cabinet. They sound like toys-no body; no low end. I gotta laugh. I surely would have gotten better sound with the car stereo replacements from Crutchfield but I'd still have the big ugly boxes my sister made fun of.

In the end I'm happy; I bought no more than I needed and they do the job.

As a sort of bonus, while trawling through Craigslist, I saw a "wanted to buy" ad; someone is looking for anyone's old speakers, working or not, as they have some project where they repurpose the cabinets. Mind you, they're looking for donations, not a purchase. I replied to the ad, willing to give up my now old Sylvania speakers. I'll sit on them for a week and see if they reply. Someone was kind to me during my purchase; gotta pass on the favor.

echelon_john
03-01-2015, 06:19 AM
There's a local for sale/wanted site here on FB. Picking up 2 sets of speakers today for the princely sum of $50. One is a set of original Bose 301s. The second is a set of JBLs that might be great, or might be crap.

Can't wait to see what the 301s sound like!

velomonkey
03-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Peter, that's about the same story as mine. Started on Ebay, but not being able to see the units and the shipping kind of kills it. Then went to Craigslist - for sure some stuff there.

I'm in CT too and drove to Mass to get my stuff. The guy works on pools in the summers and fixes up stereo stuff in the winter. I talked to him on the phone and he seemed cool. When I got there - this was classic - he said in a total Mass accent "hey man, I am so hung over, my girl and I had vinyl night last night. Do a once a week in the winter - vinyl and wine." He's gonna call me when he has a good turntable - the receiver I have has turntable specific connections.

I had a young kid lined up for some polk speakers - they were the monitor series, good, but not totally what I wanted -they were backup speakers - he sounded sketchy and, well, the add isn't up anymore and for sure I was the only one looking.

I'm going bring up my Marantz and my Polk RTIA speakers and do some AB testing - I'm away next week, but I think this system is going finish strong.

pcxmbfj
03-01-2015, 08:06 AM
Thanks...I just dusted off my Marantz 112 tuner, Technics SL-BD22D turntable and Kenwood KA-8006 integrated amp...so 1976. I sold my JBL L100 studio monitors back in the late 80's and now I see that a pair goes for $750-1,000.

This is a good site for owner and service manuals too...

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/112.shtml

Had the KA-8006 and matching tuner purchased new around '76.
The TOTL KT-8005 tuner is still working and looking for another amp to mate to it led me to a collection of several units.
Have the Technics 1700 and 1100 tables for the rare vinyl spins.

Kevan
09-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Hi guys!
I hope you all have been riding your asses off this season staying safe, having fun.

You folks are the "go to's" on almost any subject and on this one I'm hoping you might have some sage advise
My Marantz receivers isn't playing nice on my speakers right channel. I've jury rigged a connection between the receiver and a Mac mini to provide my digital music input. I also have a CD player connected, but seldom used. The speakers are 10 year old small KEF bookshelves.
So I've need looking at NAD DAC units and have gotten myself totally confused as to which model best suits my needs. They have two I've been considering, the 3020 and the 1050. I get the sense these are more intended for headphones. Both units go for $500 or less. Other points, I don't use the receiver's radio tuner. CDs still make their rounds so probably should try to keep mine available and functional. I like the option that my visiting kids could Bluetooth their devices to the stereo system as well. Last bit, we use iTunes, Pandora, and web based radio stations.

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions.

Best!

Ken Robb
09-16-2015, 05:21 PM
How about a modest new stereo receiver from a decent manufacturer like Yamaha, H-K, etc? Out the door for $200 max.

tuscanyswe
09-16-2015, 06:39 PM
I got these not long ago and I'm very impressed. Tho I'm not as geeky with sound as i am with bikes.

Sound is excellent and they look nice, quality finish.
Very easy to hook up with airplay or bluetooth from your laptop or phone.

Very impressive units esp for the size!

They won't fill a gymnasium with sound but they play loud enough for a dining room or small flat and they don't suffer quality when you turn it up either. Granted they have decibel limits if one is having a house party.

http://www.amazon.com/NOCS-NS2-107US-Monitors-Bookshelf-Industrial/dp/B00MJZXJ0W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RKV8XZ35ZHVFHVN032V&dpID=31ud99UVqVL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

regularguy412
09-16-2015, 08:02 PM
OK, two quick pics. A few things - the receiver is on my desk because, no joke, I ran out of speaker cable and didn't have enough for the right speaker on the other side unless I pulled over the receiver. I am gonna get some cable and place the receiver on the file cabinet. The speakers need a stand, too.

The receiver is totally mint. Looks brand new. Sounds great. I'd say the sound is "warm" would be a fair assessment. The Mirage SB1 speakers look incredible, too. Someone clearly took care of these things. I am having issues with one of the speakers, though. I have two different speaker wires so it's hard to tell - like a fool I just didn't plan. I have Polk RTiA1s downstairs, and once I get the new speaker wire I will do some A-B testing to ensure it's not the reciever. Can't really see, but I got a HRT music streamer III in there, too.

Lucky Spoke placed for your amusement. Kanaven picture is in there, too ; ) and, yes, I need to vacuum.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8623/16469189450_cef4fb4557_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/r6jUff)IMG_5646 (https://flic.kr/p/r6jUff) by velomonkeys (https://www.flickr.com/people/88287752@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8561/16469189160_96149b9c1c_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/r6jUaf)IMG_5647 (https://flic.kr/p/r6jUaf) by velomonkeys (https://www.flickr.com/people/88287752@N06/), on Flickr

WOW. I have that EXACT SAME Yamaha receiver! Only part that doesn't work on it is the tuner. Something is wrong with the internal tuning mechanism and the dial is stuck all the way on one end and won't allow the knob to turn to get it back. Otherwise, the amp/preamp works just fine. I haven't used it in over 15 yrs tho.

Mike in AR:beer:

ojingoh
09-16-2015, 09:34 PM
That's a good looking piece of kit. My old man was in the army, I recall that one from an AAFES catalog, or maybe somebody's dad's quarters. VU meters rule.

60s-80s audio gear taught me everything I think about when I think of industrial design. Braun, Bang and Olufsen, McIntosh, Dynaco, Naim, Nakamichi, Sony portables. Really inspiring (and functional!)

Thanks for sharing.

duck
09-16-2015, 11:07 PM
I just cruised through this thread really quickly. Only commenting because I absolutely looooooooooove the Yamaha Natural Sound.

Tin Turtle
09-16-2015, 11:49 PM
WOW. I have that EXACT SAME Yamaha receiver! Only part that doesn't work on it is the tuner. Something is wrong with the internal tuning mechanism and the dial is stuck all the way on one end and won't allow the knob to turn to get it back. Otherwise, the amp/preamp works just fine. I haven't used it in over 15 yrs tho.

Sometimes the old tuners like that have a string that wraps around and pulls the indicator to move back and forth.

soulspinner
09-17-2015, 04:25 AM
How about a modest new stereo receiver from a decent manufacturer like Yamaha, H-K, etc? Out the door for $200 max.

this? cant kill my receiver from 1978!

regularguy412
09-17-2015, 10:34 PM
Sometimes the old tuners like that have a string that wraps around and pulls the indicator to move back and forth.

Yes. I'm sure you're right on that one. I may get brave and open'er up and see what I can see.

jtakeda
09-17-2015, 10:50 PM
I have that exact Yamaha in my living room!

sjbraun
09-17-2015, 11:37 PM
Bought one of these for my son. Paired with these Pioneer speakers, the sound is surprisingly nice

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NCD2LG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

DRZRM
09-18-2015, 12:42 AM
I love these threads. We just moved to a bigger house and I set up my old stereo. A Luxman LV-105u integrated amp (mmm...tubes) to my B&W speakers. I'm also running a Marantz CD player and NAD tuner, everything sounds awesome.

This thread has given me some ideas though. I have a decent but older MacBook Pro that is not being used. I figure dedicating the laptop, subscibing to Itunes Match in order to replace all my CD downloads I did many years ago at low quality, and a digital music streamer like the one linked in the OP to drive into my amp should be a great investment for a few hundred bucks. Must be some way to integrate Bluetooth from the phones through the wireless system, right.

Does this still make sense as the best reasonably priced way to hook digital media into a vintage stereo? Any better ways?

sloanfiske
09-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Must be some way to integrate Bluetooth from the phones through the wireless system, right.

Does this still make sense as the best reasonably priced way to hook digital media into a vintage stereo? Any better ways?

Not sure if you're on a mac or a pc, but we use an old airport express with a 1/8 to rca to go into the "tape monitor" input on our vintage (i guess 1988 can count as vintage) HK receiver. Frees up the Phonograph and Aux inputs for the turntable and cd player. We can then use Airplay from all of our GodJob devices to play music.

Jeff N.
09-18-2015, 12:09 PM
...this is what you want.

soulspinner
09-18-2015, 12:26 PM

Love those old rotary knobs...

Dired
09-18-2015, 12:28 PM
I'm getting by with an NAD 7020 and a cheap-o Pioneer PL series TT (that has a repeat function!), paired with focusrite 2i2 and pioneer andrew miller bookshelves.

But the real story here is that just last night someone in my building put out a HK HD990 cd player and an Onkyo R1. Not sure yet of what to do with the cd player since according to google its something special, but the amp is being absorbed.

regularguy412
09-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Now all we need is a set of Ohm F's and we'd be set!

Kevan
09-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Out goes the Marantz receiver...

In comes the PS Audio Sprout.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout/

sloanfiske
10-01-2015, 07:37 AM
HK HD990 cd player.

Lemme know what you're planning on doing with the HK.

I need a "new" CD player.

DHallerman
10-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Out goes the Marantz receiver...

In comes the PS Audio Sprout.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout/

You can get a demo unit from Music Direct at a decent price:
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-338667-ps-audio-sprout-integrated-amp-demo.aspx

Comes with warranty and 60-day guarantee.

I have no connection with this online retailer but I've bought several things from them in my totally computer-audio system and have been very pleased by the service, pricing, help he's gotten.

Dave, who was reluctant to post this

don'TreadOnMe
10-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Dumb question, do vintage receivers use more electricity than modern ones?

I'm interested in getting something to drive a pair of old Klipsch's, and hanging a bluetooth or wifi adapter off of it...and it'll likely always be powered on.

I'm not down w/a big utility bill though...

jtakeda
10-01-2015, 11:23 AM

Never seen that one. Had a 9090db but it was a little too much.

Currently obsessed with the fisher 500c

rnhood
10-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Dumb question, do vintage receivers use more electricity than modern ones?

I'm interested in getting something to drive a pair of old Klipsch's, and hanging a bluetooth or wifi adapter off of it...and it'll likely always be powered on.

I'm not down w/a big utility bill though...

As a generalization yes, they draw more current. '60 era receivers will mostly be tube and the heater elements draw current. The onboard transformer will have a dedicated winding for the heaters, in general. Some use a separate transformer. '70 era receivers can be either, but most are transistor designs especially the latter '70 units. These do not draw as much current as a general rule. I say general because the output power rating will will affect the power consumption. In fact the output power rating has more to do with the max current consumption than whether its tube or transistor. By the '80s, the evolution was taking receivers more to integrated circuits. These even draw less current although, again its the output power rating that determines the max power consumption.

You are in luck because Klipsch are very efficient speakers and need little power for room filling results. Tube (or transistor) receivers of 20 watt outputs are plenty for your speakers. But the older tube receivers have their disadvantages - tube replacement as they wear out, various parts like electrolytic caps leak and degrade, carbon resistors that change value over the years, etc. If you are planning on buying one, be sure its been checked out thoroughly. Don't automatically believe what someone selling one might tell you. If its been properly checked out, they will have the paperwork to prove it.

The more modern integrated circuit receivers are feature laden and hyped up one side and down the other, but they typically never sound all that good. IC designs use mucho feedback and this tends to be a detriment to quality sound. It has a very clean sound, albeit sterile - or bleached. The vintage tube (and most discreet transistor) designs tend to be sweeter and more pleasant sounding. I would look for one of these for those Klipsch speakers.

Kevan
10-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Simply put, because that is how it works, the Sprout is an awesome little amp.

echelon_john
10-06-2015, 08:53 AM
I have no experience with modern compact amplifiers. Would the Sprout be sufficient to drive a set of Pioneer Andrew Jones floor speakers and a (powered) Pioneer subwoofer? I listen to a mix of jazz, classical, hardcore, electronic and ambient, and generally have it on fairly loud. Love the simplicity & clean design, and bluetooth would be a nice bonus (I currently play 100% through an Airport Express).

Thoughts? Thanks!
JC

Simply put, because that is how it works, the Sprout is an awesome little amp.

Kevan
10-06-2015, 12:15 PM
JC,
It's worth a call to their sales group. They talk about the ability to handle a wide range of speakers, either small ones or beasts. I called them with my questions and they off topic asked what speakers I was using and they assured me I was going to have a terrific match. Call them.
Long gone is my turntable, it was very ill and, well, CD's took over the world. Yet the desire for vinyl remains and so Sprout includes it. The Bluetooth holds tight to my phone. I then have a dedicated Mac Mini that manages my stored music files and web based music sources. Radio signals are weak where I am, so the tuner hasn't been missed.

Pleased as punch, I am. Maybe some speaker stands, that's next n' last.

Tin Turtle
10-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Everything has its own personality and sound characteristics. Electrostats, cones, horns, tube, mosfet.... I have owned it all. Even Bose. Current setup is Cornscala hybrids I built driven by either a Technics Mark II if I am feeling old school or my Hafler Transnova, pre work is done by an Anthem MX500.

http://www.tinturtle.com/images/gallery1/Cornscala_sm.jpg

The Cornscala's are a modified design using a Klipsch Cornwall bottom and a LaScala top. Custom crossovers and a super dense (1.5" thick) cabinet. At 101db efficient they are ridiculous. http://www.tinturtle.com/cornscala.aspx

I really want to drive these with an older Krell or something else but I buy too many bicycles.

Back side used brass screws for the vintage look.

http://www.tinturtle.com/image.axd?picture=2012%2f12%2fAssembled_NoGrill_Ba ck_smal.jpg

Jgrooms
10-09-2015, 04:51 AM
Big bad Pioneer SX-1050. Big SX series fan. Also have a Sansui fetish.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/09/ae80bb418b2d3a4348ca2b5bc78ab03a.jpg

Jgrooms
10-09-2015, 05:00 AM

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/09/4f919accbb999f11622aebfbabe8c684.jpg

Jgrooms
10-09-2015, 05:15 AM
Sansui G-8700db

Beast!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/09/d4490473a5e19a65514ca3053dde1bc2.jpg

fuzzalow
10-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Mine. I re-capped the power supply boards & main capacitors but left the rest alone. I'll get to the rest someday when I can get motivated to do the work. I chose not to upgrade to LEDs for the dial and etceteras because the effect and luminence color looks wrong to me. So I gotta keep this thing fed with those silly light bulbs that don't last very long.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-prSBGYqokF4/TfZfNiDPwvI/AAAAAAAAABI/NJylP7cU0gg/s800-Ic42/marantz-vintage.jpg

Tin Turtle
10-09-2015, 11:08 AM
beautiful amps there guys...

Saint Vitus
10-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Are the bulbs running on AC or DC? Seems to me they whould be running on DC, if not then yeah they'll die quickly on AC voltage.

Mine. I re-capped the power supply boards & main capacitors but left the rest alone. I'll get to the rest someday when I can get motivated to do the work. I chose not to upgrade to LEDs for the dial and etceteras because the effect and luminence color looks wrong to me. So I gotta keep this thing fed with those silly light bulbs that don't last very long.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-prSBGYqokF4/TfZfNiDPwvI/AAAAAAAAABI/NJylP7cU0gg/s800-Ic42/marantz-vintage.jpg

fuzzalow
10-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Are the bulbs running on AC or DC? Seems to me they whould be running on DC, if not then yeah they'll die quickly on AC voltage.

All the bulbs are DC. The ones that have the shortest life, sometimes on the order of 6 months or less, are the fuse-buss type bulbs that illuminate the Signal strength/Tuning meter. Every other bulb is a soldered-in bulb on some kinda circuitboard buss. I kinda put it down to crappy quality bulbs. Just like there's probably very little in the way of manufacturing left in the world for this type of incandescent lightbulb as similarly found in power tube manufacturing - makes it possible to produce junk and still sell as many as can be made.

This type of stereo gear is very much in demand now amongst the hipsters and similar generational youth. The reto-chic is very desirable it seems. For me, this is the same as it ever was. (Ugh, I dislike regurgitating that phrase because it's been co-opted by some ersatz cool kids ad nausea. And David Byrne is as cool as they get so the perversion must be bittersweet.)

DarkStar
10-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Running a NAD C320 BEE, driving a pair of PSB speakers. Very decent sound but overkill for a desktop system.

Saint Vitus
10-15-2015, 10:53 AM
All the bulbs are DC. The ones that have the shortest life, sometimes on the order of 6 months or less, are the fuse-buss type bulbs that illuminate the Signal strength/Tuning meter. Every other bulb is a soldered-in bulb on some kinda circuitboard buss. I kinda put it down to crappy quality bulbs. Just like there's probably very little in the way of manufacturing left in the world for this type of incandescent lightbulb as similarly found in power tube manufacturing - makes it possible to produce junk and still sell as many as can be made.

This type of stereo gear is very much in demand now amongst the hipsters and similar generational youth. The reto-chic is very desirable it seems. For me, this is the same as it ever was. (Ugh, I dislike regurgitating that phrase because it's been co-opted by some ersatz cool kids ad nausea. And David Byrne is as cool as they get so the perversion must be bittersweet.)

Hahaha ain't that the truth. I was collecting and repairing that stuff before they were ever a gleam in anyone's eye lol

So if it is a DC supply maybe it's a poor DC voltage, like as in half wave rectifier poor. And then it needs to ramp up during power up. I used to have an all tube recording channel, and an old Cuban man that worked in the business since Sinatra told me that the only way to preserve the life of the tubes was to have a clean supply and to slowly ramp up the filament voltage first when turning on the console.

That said it's probably more trouble than it's worth, though I'm sure some hipster electronics genius will come up with a small PCB to add into the DC power buss to accomplish this ;-)

HenryA
10-15-2015, 09:25 PM
So where is a good place to find a well off hipster who would buy some vintage audio gear? I have some I'd like to sell. Its been following me for too long now.

Web1111a
10-16-2015, 07:26 PM
So where is a good place to find a well off hipster who would buy some vintage audio gear? I have some I'd like to sell. Its been following me for too long now.

What is the geR?

malcolm
10-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Sansui G-8700db

Beast!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/09/d4490473a5e19a65514ca3053dde1bc2.jpg

Wow I had that same receiver. I got it in the Philippines at the PX in subic bay back in the '80s. Had JBL 150 studio monitors, a akai reel to reel and nakamici cassette day. Rue the day I got rid of it. Actually didn't get rid of it I left it with a friend of a friend while I went out of state to work for a summer during college and when I returned he had moved with my stereo and well over a thousand albums that had been played once to record to reel to reel tape, bummer.