PDA

View Full Version : Campy Cable Housing - Routing Choices ???

DHallerman
02-22-2015, 12:27 PM
With all the Campy Ergo shifters I've used (on about 10 bikes), I've routed the derailleur cable housing on the rear of the handlebar, the brake cable housing on the front.

For that reason, I've preferred handlebars with dual grooves, front and rear, such as the Deda Newton. But dual groove handlebars seem harder and harder to find.

Now I know that Campy derailleur cable housing CAN be routed on the front, though.

So, my questions for now:

Do Campy Ergo derailleur cables work equally well when routed on the handlebar's front as they do when routed on the rear?
Or is it better to route these derailleur cables on the rear, even without a groove, and just have less-round handlebars?

True-life-tales welcomed.

Dave, who tends to mix those Campy shifters with Shimano drivetrains using the ShiftMate gizmo

FlashUNC
02-22-2015, 12:45 PM
I don't like routing both to the front simply for the larger bulge it creates there right at my fingers when riding on the tops. I prefer the single cable on each side as it tends to ovalized the bars just enough that it lets my hands rest there a bit more naturally, especially on 26.0 bars.

I think for 31.8 bars its less of an issue. I haven't noticed huge shifting performance differences. Instead its more about comfort for me.

YMMV.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2015, 01:06 PM
With all the Campy Ergo shifters I've used (on about 10 bikes), I've routed the derailleur cable housing on the rear of the handlebar, the brake cable housing on the front.

For that reason, I've preferred handlebars with dual grooves, front and rear, such as the Deda Newton. But dual groove handlebars seem harder and harder to find.

Now I know that Campy derailleur cable housing CAN be routed on the front, though.

So, my questions for now:

Do Campy Ergo derailleur cables work equally well when routed on the handlebar's front as they do when routed on the rear?
Or is it better to route these derailleur cables on the rear, even without a groove, and just have less-round handlebars?

True-life-tales welcomed.

Dave, who tends to mix those Campy shifters with Shimano drivetrains using the ShiftMate gizmo

IME, the new shape, 2009 and later, the shifting is better if the der housing is behind the handlebar. For 2008 and older, it's a wash. Seems for 2009, when routed in front, kinda a abrupt turn for cable as it exits the spool.

If no aft groove, just pull more underneath handlebar, towards brake housing. Der housing then kinda underneath hbar rather than behind in the groove.

thwart
02-22-2015, 01:39 PM
I've shifted all my recent builds to running both on the front of the bar with no adverse effect on shifting that I've been able to pick up.

Of course, YMMV.

(now, if I could just bring myself to cut off some Handlebra rather than wrap the entire length of the stuff… :rolleyes:)

Tommasini53
02-22-2015, 02:34 PM
I've shifted all my recent builds to running both on the front of the bar with no adverse effect on shifting that I've been able to pick up.

Of course, YMMV.

(now, if I could just bring myself to cut off some Handlebra rather than wrap the entire length of the stuff… :rolleyes:)

I've been routing my cables like the previous post/photo. seems to work well. I have found that crossing the wires under the down tube helps, that way the cable bend from the h-bar to the down tube cable stop is easier curve.

ntb1001
02-22-2015, 02:45 PM
I always run them on the front. I find it more comfortable than when the are on the back of the bar.
As far a shifting...not a problem.

Hindmost
02-22-2015, 03:11 PM
Some of the newer Deda bars have a flat on the bottom of bar tops (if that makes sense) that allows brake-inside and derail-outside routing such that the cables then converge underneath the bar tops.

The bars do not have a 'classic' look but I like the way this routing works.

cbresciani
02-22-2015, 10:58 PM

Of course, YMMV.

This is how I route mine too, it works very well.

mcteague
02-23-2015, 06:31 AM
I have Chorus 11 and routed to the front as I find it more comfortable. Shifting works fine.

Tim

fogrider
02-23-2015, 10:25 PM
as others have said, run both cables in front and crossing the cables keeps the cables from rubbing the paint off the frame! I know some pro mechanics don't like the cross the cables, but it keeps the frame looking good so I don't care! I had cables front and back for years but once I tried it once, I had to switch all my bikes.