PDA

View Full Version : Changing Shifters on DA9000 to DA9070 DI2

VanBikeGuy
02-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Guy's,

Just upgrading to DI2 and want to know if the clamp band on the 9000 shifters (not the 9001) is essentially the same as the 9070 shifters. In theory then, I can simply unravel the bar tape to the top of the shifters, switch them for the 9070, and re-wrap with the wires, etc.

Have anyone done this conversion?

Thoughts?

Bill

shovelhd
02-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Are you adding sprint shifters? If so you will need to completely retape anyway. I don't see why it's a big deal.

VanBikeGuy
02-21-2015, 08:53 PM
No sprint shifters. Just want to know if the clamp is the same. If it is, I should be able to unscrew the 9000 shifters from the clamp and install the 9070 shifters without having the remove all of the tape.

I realize it's lazy, but the tape is still pretty decent and I find one you remove it once completely off the bars, you can never reuse it.

shovelhd
02-21-2015, 08:55 PM
You will have to remove the top part of the tape no matter what, in order to run the wires.

VanBikeGuy
02-21-2015, 08:56 PM
That's easy though......

Mr_Gimby
02-21-2015, 10:18 PM
The clamps are different, sorry to burst your bubble. I would wanna retape anyway if it were my bike, that much of an upgrade at least deserves new bar tape!:cool:

dolface
02-21-2015, 10:27 PM
OP, curious why you're even trying to do this? Is it just to save the hassle of re-taping or is there another reason?

The clamps are different, sorry to burst your bubble. I would wanna retape anyway if it were my bike, that much of an upgrade at least deserves new bar tape!:cool:

eBAUMANN
02-21-2015, 10:44 PM
I reuse tape on the regular, just don't rip it coming off and it'll be fine. I've used the same roll of fizik microtex on probably 4-5 builds at this point, still going strong!

VanBikeGuy
02-22-2015, 12:33 AM
Really just being lazy. I have limited time with a 2 year old at home to work on bikes, so wanted to save the hassle of re-taping the bars.

BdaGhisallo
02-22-2015, 04:50 AM
As best as I've been able to tell, the clamps are all functionally the same. Some are ti, some are not. Some are more drilled out than others, but they all seem to interchange with each other.

I have done what you want to do without any issues.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2015, 07:11 AM
Really just being lazy. I have limited time with a 2 year old at home to work on bikes, so wanted to save the hassle of re-taping the bars.

Thanks shimano but the clamps aren't the same. You may be able to do what you suggest but ha gotta clean up the wires from the shifters to the interface anyway, and re route the brake cables/housing. I guess my ? Comes from why aren't the clamps the same on all shimano levers??

10-4
02-22-2015, 08:49 AM
No offense intended, but this seems kind of silly. You're switching to a top-tier electronic gruppo and fussing on removing bar tape completely? I understand busy, I have two little ones of my own, but it would have taken less time to unwrap your bars than post 3-4 times on the forum.

Again, don't mean offense, just an honest observation.

etu
02-22-2015, 10:05 AM

Bill,
As someone who finds wrapping bar tape a real pain, I'll stand with you on this one and share the abuse.;)

dolface
02-22-2015, 10:49 AM
I get that, I have 2 under 5 and time is precious.

VanBikeGuy
02-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Guy's

Wrenching really isn't my thing, but so that everyone knows the clamp's are exactly the same. Just finished after spending 2 hours downstairs re-routing the cables, etc.

I was able to just unwrap half down the bar to the levers, pull out the brake cables, switch to the 9070, and insert the cables back into the original housing. Probably only saved me 20 mins, but I hate wrapping tape and frankly, I find the hardest part to be at the start of the bars.

All I have to do now, is adjust the derailleurs and re-install the chain. Might leave that to my LBS though as I find the front derailleur the hardest to get right so that it doesn't rub on the chain.

My wife was upstairs the whole time with a busy 2 year old boy, so I think I will have to forgo the road bike ride on the other bike and go for a ride with the family (she doesn't get my bike obsession).

Mr_Gimby
02-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Check out the "note" on page 19...:no:

Dura Ace 9070 Dealer Manual (http://si.shimano.com/pdf/dm/DM-DA0001-00-ENG.pdf)

VanBikeGuy
02-22-2015, 10:44 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I checked out the part numbers of both the 9000 and the 9070 clamp. They share the same part number so I think I'm fine.

Can't see how the bolt could be any different.....

VanBikeGuy
02-22-2015, 11:03 PM
I just checked into it more. I guess the clamp is a little different from the 9000 series. While it's probably fine, looks like I will switch it back to be on the safe side.