PDA

View Full Version : OT Fresh Air...

L84dinr
04-07-2006, 07:53 PM
The show on NPR had a "remembering" Jackie Mclean show on this afternoon. (Please excuse the poor grammar)
I haven't listened to my jazz stuff in many years. But hearing some of Jackie Mcleans music on the radio today makes me want to hook the old BSR record player up and break out the Jazz records. Although I do have few faves on CD. Thelonius Monk (what a cool name), Monks Music.

Anyway, was interesting to hear the rebroadcast of his conversation with Terry Gross. What a history Mr. Mclean had, playing with Miles at the age of Nineteen. Getting to play with Charlie Mingus, Being friends with Charlie Parker. Good stuff Maynard.

Grant McLean
04-07-2006, 07:56 PM
In case anyone wants to catch it:

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13

-g

Fixed
04-07-2006, 08:09 PM
bro didn't they use to call him red when they went down south on tour .in the jim crow days ? there is some good stuff about him in the miles davis book sounds like he had a cool mom . he left the world a better place I am going to play one of his l.p's. now..... jackie's bag playin right now cheers

Ray
04-08-2006, 06:10 AM
One of the greats. I never thought he had a super unique style - you know, the type where you know who's playing within the first measure (Coltrane, Miles, Parker, Monk, Mingus, Hendrix, Santana all come to mind), but his playing was always incredibly tasteful and the music was always great. I'm listening to him a lot since hearing of his death too. There's a lot of great jazz out there with some very subtle pleasures and he was the epitome of that.

-Ray