PDA

View Full Version : Wippermann Connex Link for Shimano 11 Speed

russ46
02-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Has anyone found or used Wippermann Connex links for Shimano 11 speed chain? I spent a little time searching the web this morning but couldn't find anything definitive. The Connex site says their link is compatible with 11, 10...... chain but that's all the info given. Info on other sites don't give me a warm & fuzzy they will.

guido
02-21-2015, 11:12 AM
I have been using KMC 11 speed quick links on 11 speed Shimano chains with great success.

russ46
02-21-2015, 12:00 PM
I have been using KMC 11 speed quick links on 11 speed Shimano chains with great success.

Are they reusable? I couldn't tell from their website.

guido
02-21-2015, 12:22 PM
I re-used one once on the occasion of vapor locking and cutting the chain too long and had no issues in 1000 miles. But for the most part I treat them as single use. Cheap insurance...

Tony T
02-21-2015, 12:35 PM

From the instructions on KMC's website:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/todd4ta/KMC11spMissingLink_zpsae452de5.jpg

Plum Hill
02-21-2015, 12:38 PM
I've been using an IRD on a Campy chain for two years; no problem.
Same link is used for Campy and Shimano.
http://www.interlocracing.com/chain-links/

Black Dog
02-21-2015, 01:15 PM
From the instructions on KMC's website:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/todd4ta/KMC11spMissingLink_zpsae452de5.jpg

This is lawyer liability & lawsuit avoidance... They can be used once per chain. If you need to remove the chain a few times during its service life they are fine. Removal will not compromise the link during use. However, they do stretch out a bit and are not good for more than one chain life cycle.

oldpotatoe
02-21-2015, 01:15 PM
I've been using an IRD on a Campy chain for two years; no problem.
Same link is used for Campy and Shimano.
http://www.interlocracing.com/chain-links/

Have you reused the old link with a new chain? That's not a good idea since it wears just like a chsin does.

Tony T
02-21-2015, 01:28 PM
This is lawyer liability & lawsuit avoidance... They can be used once per chain. If you need to remove the chain a few times during its service life they are fine. Removal will not compromise the link during use.

If that were true, then they would have the same disclaimer for the 10s links.
If the manufacturer says reuse will damage the locking mechanism on the 11s (but not the 10s), I'll believe them and use a new link.

Just use a new 11s link (they come in packs of 6).
Not worth saving $5 when the reused link can fail.

one60
02-21-2015, 02:31 PM
The Wipperman site states that the Connex link is for all 9,10 & 11-speed chains. But I recall there was going to be an 11-speed specific connector?

Like the OP, curious to learn if anyone has firsthand experience with the tool-free Connex link on 11-speed chains?

djg21
02-21-2015, 04:41 PM
This is lawyer liability & lawsuit avoidance... They can be used once per chain. If you need to remove the chain a few times during its service life they are fine. Removal will not compromise the link during use. However, they do stretch out a bit and are not good for more than one chain life cycle.

The reason that SRAM and Connex links supposedly are not reuseable (for multiple chains) may be more a function of avoidance of licensing fees and/or liability for infringing on the patent for the Superlink master chain link: http://www.google.com/patents/US5362282.

I'm not an engineer, but my understanding is that chains stretch when the bushings wear; the plates don't elongate. Since master links don't have pushing so (the plates and pins are one piece), they do not stretch. I reuse Connex links for 2-3 chains (1,500 mile/chain) and have not encountered any problems. Granted, I only use the link to remove chains for cleaning once or twice per chain.

dcama5
02-21-2015, 04:57 PM
I just (today) used a Sram 11 speed link on a Shimano 11 speed chain. The width is the same and it works perfectly. I carry an extra in the saddle bag if something happens on the road, and probably would not reuse an older one. They aren't all that expensive. What I cannot figure out is why Shimano, a leader in innovative bicycle components, is the last one to go to a quick link.

oldpotatoe
02-21-2015, 05:39 PM
I just (today) used a Sram 11 speed link on a Shimano 11 speed chain. The width is the same and it works perfectly. I carry an extra in the saddle bag if something happens on the road, and probably would not reuse an older one. They aren't all that expensive. What I cannot figure out is why Shimano, a leader in innovative bicycle components, is the last one to go to a quick link.y

None from Campagnolo either.

Tony T
02-21-2015, 05:47 PM

I don't bother with quick links. I Clean the chain on the bike and replace every 3k miles.
(I do carry a KNC with me in case the chain snaps on the road).
Unless you're waxing the chain, I see no need to remove for maintenance.

shovelhd
02-21-2015, 06:16 PM
I don't bother with quick links. I Clean the chain on the bike and replace every 3k miles.
(I do carry a KNC with me in case the chain snaps on the road).
Unless you're waxing the chain, I see no need to remove for maintenance.

If you lived up here, you would.

guido
02-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Rumor is KMC makes Shimano chains so it is especially strange...
What I cannot figure out is why Shimano, a leader in innovative bicycle components, is the last one to go to a quick link.

Tony T
02-21-2015, 07:11 PM
If you lived up here, you would.

Not sure what you mean.
I clean the chain on the bike with one of those Park chain cleaner tools (http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Chain-Cleaning-System/dp/B00781XCLS). What more would I get with the chain off the bike?

Jason E
02-21-2015, 07:19 PM
I've used KMC with good success. Also just Shimano Pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcama5
02-21-2015, 07:26 PM
y

Yes, now that you mention it, that's true. Well, there's my second wonder: why these leaders shy away from quick links when Sram, KMC, Wippermann, and many track chain manufacturers use the link (I know, track links aren't all that quick... but still).

old fat man
02-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Yes, now that you mention it, that's true. Well, there's my second wonder: why these leaders shy away from quick links when Sram, KMC, Wippermann, and many track chain manufacturers use the link (I know, track links aren't all that quick... but still).

KMC makes/made shimano chains.

Tony T
02-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Yes, now that you mention it, that's true. Well, there's my second wonder: why these leaders shy away from quick links

This is one reason for Campy :)

$193 for the Campy tool:
http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360039697/CPS24A.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

…but it is a beautiful tool, and I'm glad I bought it.

Plum Hill
02-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Have you reused the old link with a new chain? That's not a good idea since it wears just like a chsin does.

No! New chain - new link.

ultraman6970
02-21-2015, 09:14 PM
OP, you can use 10 speed quick links aswell, probably you wont even notice it.

shovelhd
02-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Not sure what you mean.
I clean the chain on the bike with one of those Park chain cleaner tools (http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Chain-Cleaning-System/dp/B00781XCLS). What more would I get with the chain off the bike?

I've tried them and they don't do anywhere near as good a job on sticky gritty gloppy chains. I use a parts washer with mineral spirits. It flushes the crap out of the rollers, not just swish it around.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2015, 08:20 AM

Shimano had a link for 10s and it broke so it went away. Campagnolo had a link of sorts, 'Permalink' that faired poorly. All made noise.

I think both companies err on the side of caution and think push through pin is more secure. But often installed poorly/wrong, particularly on 'non virgin' plates. A problem for both chains. But KMC, Wipperman, IRD links work.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2015, 08:23 AM
OP, you can use 10 speed quick links aswell, probably you wont even notice it.

When 10s was new in 2000 for Campagnolo, I sold a lot of sram gold 9s links. Worked fine. A 10s link will work for 11s also but things pretty close together, may make some noise.

foo_fighter
06-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Any updates on this?
http://www.cantitoeroad.com/11-Speed-Connex-Link_p_526.html

at $30, it's a bit pricey to experiment with.

Oh, I guess there's a bunch of these out on the market now from different manufacturers. There are a few YBN quick connectors too.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2015, 07:02 AM
Any updates on this?
http://www.cantitoeroad.com/11-Speed-Connex-Link_p_526.html

at $30, it's a bit pricey to experiment with.

Oh, I guess there's a bunch of these out on the market now from different manufacturers. There are a few YBN quick connectors too.

$30???? YGBSM...IRD, KMC..all work fine at about 1/3 of the $.

gavingould
06-02-2015, 09:55 PM
for $30 you can get a new chain...

i used Wipperman Connex when on 10sp, been on 11sp for a year and haven't had to resize or remove the chain (shimano)

getting due to replace, so i picked up a black (fashion!) Yaban SLA-H11 from the 'bay - not installed yet, but comes with a pin and a quick link (no word on if it's re-usable)

foo_fighter
06-02-2015, 10:22 PM
I need it for a travel bike. I ordered a couple of the YBN Links on Ebay so we'll see how they perform.

bontie
06-03-2015, 01:04 AM
Ive used 10v links on many a 11v chain

dk2ck
06-03-2015, 05:28 PM
I need it for a travel bike. I ordered a couple of the YBN Links on Ebay so we'll see how they perform.

Let us know how they are! I am interested in grabbing a few to keep in my saddlebag for emergency repairs. The YBN ones are at a much more tempting pricepoint.

foo_fighter
08-30-2015, 11:23 PM
Happy to report the these worked fine on both shimano and sram chains. I did end up buying pair of park link pliers so I'm not sure how easy these are to disconnect by hand but it was trivial with the pliers.

djg21
08-30-2015, 11:42 PM
Has anyone found or used Wippermann Connex links for Shimano 11 speed chain? I spent a little time searching the web this morning but couldn't find anything definitive. The Connex site says their link is compatible with 11, 10...... chain but that's all the info given. Info on other sites don't give me a warm & fuzzy they will.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/wippermann-connex-11-speed-link?CMP_SKU=WIP0008&MER=0406&CMP_ID=PLA_GOt014&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&CSPID=0914&mr:trackingCode=BE3BBD07-F44D-E511-80F8-0050569475F3&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=t&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=77805433021&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=75495230821&gclid=CO6LqbCy0scCFdKPHwodGIgErg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wipperman is raising the prices in an effort to encourage purchase of their chains. Sorry.

I've also been using a 10spd connex on the shimano 11spd chain on my wife's Tri bike. Wipperman supposedly says not to, because it will make the chain skip on the jockey wheels. This has been a non-issue for my wife. The 10-spd link works just fine and it's been through a number of events including an Ironman.

I also typically reuse the links for at least 3 chains or so. I've been doing this for years without any issue. The links don't have bushings to wear and can be reused despite what wipperman says.

djg21
08-30-2015, 11:44 PM
Happy to report the these worked fine on both shimano and sram chains. I did end up buying pair of park link pliers so I'm not sure how easy these are to disconnect by hand but it was trivial with the pliers.

The park pliers don't work to well with these IME. You are better off with a shop rag.

BdaGhisallo
08-31-2015, 05:57 AM
I recently got a hold of a Connex 11 link and it doesn't seem to want to work with the Shimano CN-HG900 chain I'm using - the pin wouldn't slide into the chain rivets. I was in a hurry so I didn't fuss too much or try further. I just reverted to the KMC 11 links I have, but I was more than miffed. These Connex links were not cheap.

russ46
08-31-2015, 01:05 PM
I picked up some KMC links after originally posting this thread but am not sure if I should use them. I've got to replace the chain now & found out its replacement is now uni-directional. The chain that came with the group set wasn't. I'm thinking using the KMC link will have little effect on shifting but was wondering if anyone has another opinion?

BdaGhisallo
08-31-2015, 01:29 PM
I picked up some KMC links after originally posting this thread but am not sure if I should use them. I've got to replace the chain now & found out its replacement is now uni-directional. The chain that came with the group set wasn't. I'm thinking using the KMC link will have little effect on shifting but was wondering if anyone has another opinion?

The CN-HG900 chains I've been using for six months or so are uni-directional and I haven't had any issues with the KMC link.

djg21
08-31-2015, 02:59 PM
No! New chain - new link.

I reuse Connex links at least twice. The Connex links don't have bushings to wear and therefore don't wear as quickly as chains (I use ultegra 10 spd chains I replace every 1,500 miles). I change the links out every 2-3 chains. I've been doing this for years without any problems

The reason Wipperman said that the links were not reusable likely was to avoid patent infringement issues. See https://www.google.com/patents/US5362282?dq=reusable+chain+master+link&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAGoVChMIybCkmP_TxwIVRpqACh10Pg-H. This patent is expired, but it doesn't make much sense for Wipperman to now tell people to reuse the links so Wipperman would lose sales. I know there are other patents for master links out there too.

joosttx
08-31-2015, 11:50 PM

+1 same for me

NeauDL
09-01-2015, 06:44 AM
KMC 11 link fits my Shimano 11 chains. The Connex 10 link seems to fit perfectly on the Shimano 11 chains also. It sure doesn't seem to be a loose fit. And of course you can remove the Connex link without tools.

erslah
09-03-2015, 12:24 AM
I've tried them and they don't do anywhere near as good a job on sticky gritty gloppy chains. I use a parts washer with mineral spirits. It flushes the crap out of the rollers, not just swish it around.

A bit off-topic now, but I've been using Sheldon's recommended method of dropping the chain into a plastic bottle with a couple of ounces of citrus solvent, shaking it around, and then rinsing it. Fabulous and cheap.

BTW, even though all these links are "tool-free," I love my Park MLP-1.2

Mikej
09-03-2015, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=djg21;1816678]I reuse Connex links at least twice. The Connex links don't have bushings to wear and therefore don't wear as quickly as chains (I use ultegra 10 spd chains I replace every 1,500 miles). I change the links out every 2-3 chains. I've been doing this for years without any problems

The bushing is in the other part of the inner links, the pins are subject to debris and possible wear and stretch, however I believe these are rated as one time use do to the "snap" together fit being a one time thing, and once unsnapped the fit is likely compromised and not as tight. Sort of like you would not re-use a master pin or replace a master pin in the same link side plate.

djg21
09-03-2015, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=djg21;1816678]I reuse Connex links at least twice. The Connex links don't have bushings to wear and therefore don't wear as quickly as chains (I use ultegra 10 spd chains I replace every 1,500 miles). I change the links out every 2-3 chains. I've been doing this for years without any problems

The bushing is in the other part of the inner links, the pins are subject to debris and possible wear and stretch, however I believe these are rated as one time use do to the "snap" together fit being a one time thing, and once unsnapped the fit is likely compromised and not as tight. Sort of like you would not re-use a master pin or replace a master pin in the same link side plate.

But the "snap" together fit is not a one-time use. If it were, you would need to replace the link every time you remove the chain to clean it. If this were the case, there would be no need for the link, and a regular Shimano pin would serve the same purpose.

As you note, chains stretch due to wear on the bushings, which are part of the inner links of the chain itself. Connex links do not have bushings. While they certainly may wear, I really do not believe they wear as quickly as a chain. If you change your chain regularly, the Connex link can be re-used. As I note, I use new Connex links every 2nd or 3rd chain. I've been doing this for years with no issue. I've even been reusing Connex links on my MTB where the chain takes a far worse beating and gets much dirtier than the chain on my road bike.

I'm convinced that Wipperman's proscription on re-use initially was to avoid infringement issues. See, e.g., http://www.google.com/patents/US5362282; http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_slink.htm.

And I question whether Wipperman would ever decrease sales by telling consumers, after any relevant patents expired, that Connex links in fact can be reused. We already know that Wipperman raised prices on the links considerably in an effort to steer consumers into purchasing complete chains rather than just the Connex links to use with competitors' chains. This was stated by a Wipperman executive in an story printed on some bike website. Unfortunately, I cannot find it now.

That being said, I purchase less expensive Shimano ultegra chains to use on my Dura Ace equipped bikes, and I replace them regularly after approximately 1,500-1,750 miles. Once on my bike, I may remove the chain a single time to clean it. Otherwise, I wipe it down with a cotton shop towel after riding, and relube it with NFS while it remains on the bike. So the snaps on my Connex links do not get used too often.

Mikej
09-03-2015, 11:45 AM
I'm talking kmc 11 speed, they are not reusable, kmc 10 speed can be reused. any time you friction fit something, it becomes deformed, the 11s may just have a bit of a tighter tolerance. Not saying it cant be done. yrmv.

Stinkydub
09-03-2015, 06:13 PM
That's $30 for a Whipperman 11 link!!! The 10 is $15. The KMC is $3.16 and REUSABLE. BTW, i reuse the Whipperman with no issues and like it over SRAM because it doesn't require a tool to separate.
http://content.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/900/KMC/KMC000F/CPSI.jpg

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/wippermann-connex-11-speed-link?CMP_SKU=WIP0008&MER=0406&CMP_ID=PLA_GOt014&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&CSPID=0914&mr:trackingCode=BE3BBD07-F44D-E511-80F8-0050569475F3&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=t&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=77805433021&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=75495230821&gclid=CO6LqbCy0scCFdKPHwodGIgErg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wipperman is raising the prices in an effort to encourage purchase of their chains. Sorry.

I've also been using a 10spd connex on the shimano 11spd chain on my wife's Tri bike. Wipperman supposedly says not to, because it will make the chain skip on the jockey wheels. This has been a non-issue for my wife. The 10-spd link works just fine and it's been through a number of events including an Ironman.

I also typically reuse the links for at least 3 chains or so. I've been doing this for years without any issue. The links don't have bushings to wear and can be reused despite what wipperman says.