PDA

View Full Version : Fitness levels in the northeast

Ti Designs
02-20-2015, 07:10 AM
Looking out my window I see snow, about 5 feet of it. I've talked to a lot of cyclists in the area, some have the will power to get on their trainers, most say they should, but there's no program for them to follow. Almost half say their exercise this winter has been shoveling. I'm worried. Cycling events are on the calendar, there's probably not going to declare this a leap year and add another month between April and May, so where does the base mileage come from?

In this modern world of mobil everything and multitasking at all times, the concept of doing base miles has come under attack. At first it was "Time Crunched Athlete", now you have this: http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/02/video/video-gcn-investigates-effectiveness-winter-base-miles_360501 I've had a number of clients try to skip the base mileage part of the program, they've all come back to putting in the time. So the question comes up, what if you have 5 feet of snow, the roads are narrow and icy, and it's damn cold???

I have the will power to get on the trainer - perhaps a little too much. My Harvard riders start racing in two weeks, they set up times to get groups together where they have trainers - 'cause misery loves company. The way I see it, the only thing worse than a long, cold, snowy winter is a beautiful spring day that you don't have the fitness for a long ride.

So, what are y'all doing about this (talking to the people in the Boston area)? I know this is gonna get some cute responses from people living in Florida or California, don't make me come over there and rip your legs off...

merckx
02-20-2015, 07:18 AM
I have never been fitter at the launch of the spring cycling season than when I've Nordic skied all winter. Nordic skiing fitness compliments cycling fitness well. The added benefit of skiing through the winter months is that the hunger for turning the pedals by March is hard to satiate.

Ti Designs
02-20-2015, 07:27 AM
I have never been fitter at the launch of the spring cycling season than when I've Nordic skied all winter. Nordic skiing fitness compliments cycling fitness well. The added benefit of skiing through the winter months is that the hunger for turning the pedals by March is hard to satiate.

Good point. A lot of the benefit of base is aerobic conditioning, which also happens on skis or snow shoes.

William
02-20-2015, 07:33 AM
I have no excuse.

I see a guy pass by the farm every morning and afternoon on his bike. Roads are crap with ice, slush, salt, sand, and no shoulder from all the piled up snow. This dude is insane...but he's getting his miles in. It's 1 degree out there right now and it's a 8:30 so he should by by anytime now. I'm going to make a hot espresso and hand it to him as he goes by...

:bike:
William

Michael Maddox
02-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Despite the disparity of temperatures, we cold-haters down here in the Southeast are hitting the trainer and cross-training.

I hit the weights hard this year, 3 days a week, spend at least an hour a day on the trainer, and purchased a Precor AMT 835 for indoor cardio work. If I'm outside, it's almost exclusively on the mountain bike, as the speeds are lower and the terrain more shielded from the wind. If I could run, I'd definitely be out there doing that on the trails, too.

While I think there are more and less efficient uses of time when training, the slow buildup of aerobic conditioning is beneficial to the rider. For myself, there's also a psychological benefit, as I don't become as disenchanted with training as quickly. Essentially, training becomes a habit before it gets difficult.

I will always coach people to work on their aerobic base and maintain psychological freshness through a variety of activities, including the notion of "base miles."

sandyrs
02-20-2015, 08:08 AM
I've been riding the trainer- less than I should- and getting out on the weekends for 2-3 hours either on my road bike with fenders or my cross bike with studded tires. At this point there's so much snow that the studs don't even do anything meaningful on any surface except the Minuteman, so that option's basically out the window unless I just want to ride to RSC for coffee and commiseration.

That said, my girlfriend and I leave for five days in Austin tomorrow. It's not a cycling-specific trip but I plan to ride in the morning there. It'll probably be the first time I get over 10 hours of riding in a week since cyclocross season was at its midpoint. I'm anticipating light cycling traffic there- it's going to be overcast and in the 30s in the morning, which is about as bad as it seems to get in Austin, but that sounds like heaven to me right now.

I went to college in the Northeast too, and raced in the ECCC my junior and senior years. Those first couple weekends were always a total disaster in terms of fitness- the higher-level racers I know from college would basically just use the ECCC season as base for the summer, and the slow guys like me would thank Joe Kopena that the Stevens road race was only 19 miles long.

bcgav
02-20-2015, 08:10 AM
I'm not a racer, but I've always felt that a strict base-only period is BS. Quality over quantity, most of all variability has worked well for me as long as I keep exercising year-round and hit the weights (free weights, TRX, Bowflex) pretty hard at the start of the winter after a transition phase and add in more cross training (WaterRower, running and CX skiing). Fortunately for me then my endurance comes pretty quickly early in the season once I get a couple of long rides under my belt.

I've also been hitting TrainerRoad hard (with and without Sufferfest videos) and going to CT sessions regularly this winter. Got a nice bump from the Tour of Sufferlandria.

I agree with everything they said and their conclusions in the video. Thanks for sharing.

tlittlefield
02-20-2015, 08:10 AM
The condo which I live in has a pretty nice aerobic area at the clubhouse, a couple of treadmills, an elliptical and two recumbent bikes.

I am on the recumbent five days a week for 50-60 minutes. Keep the intensity fairly high and usually maintain an avg HR of 120, I am 63.

Not as good as being on the road but different and keeps my aerobic ability in check.

rnhood
02-20-2015, 08:15 AM
Swimming. I love it almost as much as cycling. Base, intervals, technique, its all there.

Of course being in Florida over the winter, I get to ride plenty too.

ceolwulf
02-20-2015, 08:18 AM

This was my plan, but first we had no snow for ages, then we had temperatures hovering between twenty and thirty below ... :(

JAGI410
02-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Warm clothes and a positive attitude can make any winter rideable. It's all in your approach!

shovelhd
02-20-2015, 08:29 AM
We have a little less snow than you out here but that's academic, the conditions are similar. I haven't ridden outside for at least a month. I have been doing S&A work up until last week when I started base. Extended time on the KK is part of base up here if only because of the lack of daylight. I'm also in the gym twice a week but that will taper to once per week soon. Right now my base fitness is strong. My VO2Max is not where it needs to be to be in race form but that is expected. I will have 10 hours of meaningless racing in before I start build and that's fine. I'm actually a bit ahead of schedule with some fitness in the bank.

So you coach the Harvard team? I had a conversation with one of your riders at at Wells Ave last year because he was riding like a douchebag. No worries on my part, they're just kids and they're going to get yelled at.

stien
02-20-2015, 08:34 AM
I've been hitting the trails on a fatbike as much as possible, sometimes even the snowed over bike path. Typically we do a spin class once a week as well. Haven't touched my road bike since dec 31st. I miss it.

But yeah I'm surprised by the number of people that just stay inside and don't do anything when it sucks out.

Climb01742
02-20-2015, 08:37 AM
I've been a wussy. No outside rides for at least a month, maybe a week or two more. Can't face my KK. Keep thinking about trying a wahoo kickr to see if it's any better. Have a concept 2 erg in basement. Hit that many days. Go to the gym other days to lift, swim, erg there too. But I ain't crushing it. Far from it. This winter has messed with my spirits. Hard to push myself. Doing my best to maintain and make it til spring.

zap
02-20-2015, 08:42 AM
I grew up in Canada so…….ok, Boston did get a lot of snow this winter.

If I lived in NE, I would be xc skiing. That was my winter sport in Canada. I could ski right from the door of our house (near Montreal) and stay out for hours in the woods. Some of the best skiing was when it was -25C with no wind and the bluest of blue skies and the snow is nice and crisp and faaaasst. Loved it.

This winter has been a cold one in metro D.C. and I've been using the Computrainer quite a bit. I could have gone out more often but the one knee is a bit delicate and prefers warmth. Last month I tried something different, weights and easy z5 pedaling and weights again 5x week. Intervals this month. Power has been lacking the last few years so I'm desperate to get it back. Curious to see how that translates to the road next month.

William
02-20-2015, 08:42 AM
I've been a wussy. No outside rides for at least a month, maybe a week or two more. Can't face my KK. Keep thinking about trying a wahoo kickr to see if it's any better. Have a concept 2 erg in basement. Hit that many days. Go to the gym other days to lift, swim, erg there too. But I ain't crushing it. Far from it. This winter has messed with my spirits. Hard to push myself. Doing my best to maintain and make it til spring.

Was just going to mention that. I've been hitting mine almost daily mixing interval training with long distance pieces. Also working the rollers, lifting, Muay Thai, PTK, and KK so I'm in shape. I'll be felling good when I can hit the bike regularly outdoors again.

William

fiamme red
02-20-2015, 08:44 AM
Doing base miles on a trainer is a great way to rot your brain and destroy your enthusiasm for cycling.

carpediemracing
One of my friends made an interesting observation in 2011. He was on fire in the Bethel Spring Series, winning the 3-4s overall with what looked like apparent ease. I asked him what he did differently. He said that he didn't do anything different himself, it was the others that did less. He did a steady 8-10 hours a week on the trainer over a not-great winter and his numbers were on par with the prior year. Based on that he figured the others just did less. It helped that there were no super strong soon-to-be-Cat-2s working their way up the ranks. The prior year, when I won the Series, the guy that was beating us both handily upgraded to Cat 2 mid-Series, else he'd have won. As it was he got 3rd and he only raced half the races.

I haven't ridden outside since Christmas (and for a couple of those rides I was in shorts - thermal but still shorts) but I've done 66 hours since after I started dieting (mid Nov diet but I didn't ride until Dec). I'm just short of 20 lbs lighter than my end of season weight, I'm 12 hours short of half my 2014 hours, and mentally I'm fresh and motivated. My life has been such that this is possible.

In other years things didn't work out like so. My friend that won the 2011 BSS? He became a partner in his firm and stopped racing. I had a phenomenal 2010. I had a horrible 2013. Etc etc.

The first of the Aetna Nutmeg Spring Series (I'm the promoter) is March 15th. It's to the point where I'm going to do a recon of the course in East Hartford to make sure that I have enough time to clear areas for the registration area, officials' stuff, etc, even to make sure there's places to park. I need to do the same for New Britain but we first use that course March 29 so it should be better, I hope.

avalonracing
I'm not planning to race this year (unless I jump in a RR or MTB race for fun) so my system is... NOT RIDING!
Sure, I'll suffer on some early spring group rides but who cares, it will be warm.

bcgav
02-20-2015, 08:45 AM
I'll be felling good when I can hit the bike regularly outdoors again.

William

Same here, but that seems like a dream that's so very far away right now! The roads are going to be a mess this spring.

sandyrs
02-20-2015, 08:51 AM
The roads are going to be a mess this spring.

To say nothing of how destroyed a lot of trails will be. Many are buried under 7 feet of snow right now. I wonder how long they'll take to thaw and absorb all that melt.

Michael Maddox
02-20-2015, 08:57 AM
Doing base miles on a trainer is a great way to rot your brain and destroy your enthusiasm for cycling.

Normally, I'd agree, but I have found the Wahoo Kickr and the related software and options to be rather fun. It's nothing like hours on the rollers or mag trainer back in the 80s...or even a few short years ago. And the workout can be downright nasty, which makes me feel good about myself. Different strokes?

carpediemracing
02-20-2015, 08:59 AM
I should add that I burned out on doing structured training about 30 years ago. I just JRA, whether on the trainer or outside. I make efforts when I feel like it (truck chasing on training rides, efforts in group rides, and of course races). Maybe not optimal in terms of optimizing fitness but it's what I want to do.

This makes doing 2-3 hours on the trainer sort of normal and not very stressful. Yeah, I push a bit to complete a ride, but sometimes I decide to push for "another 2 hours" and do it. Usually it's a push to round up the number so at 2:15 I might tell myself to go another 45 minutes. For me it's common to force myself to get off the bike because it might be midnight or 1 AM and it's way too late to keep going for another hour or three.

For me base miles is everything, probably because I don't train in any structured way. In the 2014 season there were months where I rode less than 2 hours a week. However, leading into that season I did some hours in the fall of 2013 (seems like off season I did about 130 hours, Sept 2013 - Feb 2014) then dropped to doing 6-16 hours a month April - Nov (and I had three 8 hour, one 6 hour month in the core of the season). I ran out of base fitness in August when I DNFed three times in rapid succession. Until then I couldn't make breaks (I never could even at my best) but I won a number of field sprints and I had fun racing.

velomonkey
02-20-2015, 09:16 AM
6 hours a week on the rollers - HR no higher than 132, average HR 128 - for 40 hours. Every. Single. Ride. Has. Been. On. Rollers. I'll be 18 hours into it at the end of the week.

Am I too say this is the right way, it's what I've read, known and how other people who I know to be awesome racers train - so it's what I do.

Here is what I do know. The dudes who sit there on trainers doing all high-end HIT training ONLY during the winter. They peddle in squares (not all of them, but most) and only a few can beat me and they seem to have put in a lot more hours a week than me.

sandyrs
02-20-2015, 09:18 AM
6 hours a week on the rollers - HR no higher than 132, average HR 128 - for 40 hours. Every. Single. Ride. Has. Been. On. Rollers. I'll be 18 hours into it at the end of the week.

Am I too say this is the right way, it's what I've read, known and how other people who I know to be awesome racers train - so it's what I do.

Here is what I do know. The dudes who sit there on trainers doing all high-end HIT training ONLY during the winter. They peddle in squares (not all of them, but most) and only a few can beat me and they seem to have put in a lot more hours a week than me.

This makes me feel a lot better about my weekly hours, given that most of the relatively few that there are have been on the rollers!

guido
02-20-2015, 09:57 AM
Since the new year I have been strictly on the trainer. A little over 500 miles. Lots of interruptions with rooftop crosstraining. Just caught a cold so there starts another interruption. Oh well...

54ny77
02-20-2015, 10:48 AM
This time of year I prefer intervals with Elijah Craig.

Black Dog
02-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Intervals every other day and then X-country skiing and hockey (I am a Canadian after all, eh). Once it warms up enough then its time for base mixed with intervals. The intervals really reduce the need for tons of base miles, but the first few weeks of base miles are not easy to adapt to.

wallymann
02-20-2015, 11:18 AM

this.

i hit the trainer here in motown 5x/week. there's no other way to get fit in time for spring! duration ranges from 20-mins to 60-mins depending on the workout, never more unless something really strange happens in april when i need a long ride at a particular moment in time.

on the trainer "base" miles needs to be re-thought. you can develop base aerobic condition, but it needs to be via exaggerated-high cadence for shorter duration instead of just logging mindless hours of saddle-time and learning to hate the bike as a result.

Coluber42
02-20-2015, 11:19 AM
I've been commuting by bike every day, although my commute is short. At least doing it in these conditions is a bit more exercise than it is without snow to plow through.
I've been on the rollers a bit and out on the road too... although I've been more just putting in extra time at work on weekends, which makes it easier to justify playing hooky to go riding when the weather gets nicer. I realized that I've actually been out riding somewhere (usually to work) in the middle of every major snowstorm we've had this year.
Brevet season starts early this year though, so that'll whip me into shape soon enough. :)

rccardr
02-20-2015, 11:20 AM
My first winter in retirement and I've been doing a solid and consistent 5 hours a week in spin with some pretty tough instructors, heart rate typically half in the 140's and half in the 150's. Augmented by 35+ mile rides whenever the temps permit, which actually happens pretty often in the middle of the day. It's worked for me, and I think has maintained the fitness level attained in 2014, when I put in something like 5600 miles.

Last week flew with the bike out to Southern California and rode the Tour de Palm Springs century. Best elapsed time (6:19) and highest average mph (16.1) I've ever had.

Not too shabby for a 63 year old guy on a 28 year old bike.

marciero
02-20-2015, 12:59 PM
I have a long commute so it's easy to get discouraged from riding when it's 5 degrees or otherwise inhospitable. But along with commuting when I can, I have gotten some pretty nice rides in. Yesterday I had a beautiful 5-hour ride on nice country roads. When it started to snow it only added to the experience.

Have also done a fair amount of rollers. I like the rollers but seldom go at it more than an hour.

Hls2k6
02-20-2015, 08:52 PM
I've done pretty well, I think. It was a tale of two winters, with the first half remarkably good for outdoor riding, then suddenly switching about a month ago to storm after storm making anything outside nearly impossible. Since that happened, the big hit has been to my efforts to complete a really long Sunday endurance ride. Four to five hours on the road to cap a hard week somehow never seems to be more than three or so on the trainer.

But I've still managed over 10 hours a week all winter, even with things really busy at work, a wife who owns her bustling medical practice, and two babies at home. I just have no life other than those my family and my bike, which is fine by me. My LT right now is higher than it was at peak racing form last year, even though I won't do anything higher intensity than that for at least a couple more weeks.

Like CDR, I'm in Connecticut, however, and not feeling at all confident that we'll have roads cleared for races in 2 to 3 weekends. That's a real shame, because it can't get here fast enough for me!

djg21
02-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Warm clothes and a positive attitude can make any winter rideable. It's all in your approach!

Its not so much the cold, but the snow banks. Road shoulders are covered with snow and you can't see over or around snow banks at intersections. If roads are clear, I'll ride in temps down to 20 degrees, but I'm not crazy about riding when there is so much snow on the roads.

shovelhd
02-20-2015, 10:23 PM
I've done pretty well, I think. It was a tale of two winters, with the first half remarkably good for outdoor riding, then suddenly switching about a month ago to storm after storm making anything outside nearly impossible. Since that happened, the big hit has been to my efforts to complete a really long Sunday endurance ride. Four to five hours on the road to cap a hard week somehow never seems to be more than three or so on the trainer.

But I've still managed over 10 hours a week all winter, even with things really busy at work, a wife who owns her bustling medical practice, and two babies at home. I just have no life other than those my family and my bike, which is fine by me. My LT right now is higher than it was at peak racing form last year, even though I won't do anything higher intensity than that for at least a couple more weeks.

Like CDR, I'm in Connecticut, however, and not feeling at all confident that we'll have roads cleared for races in 2 to 3 weekends. That's a real shame, because it can't get here fast enough for me!

I'm still planning on Plainville on March 8th.

soulspinner
02-21-2015, 05:59 AM
Its not so much the cold, but the snow banks. Road shoulders are covered with snow and you can't see over or around snow banks at intersections. If roads are clear, I'll ride in temps down to 20 degrees, but I'm not crazy about riding when there is so much snow on the roads.

This. Cant see to get out of my own driveway.

vav
02-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Its not so much the cold, but the snow banks.

Yeah right :eek:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8587/16574485476_60af9507df_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rfCz5Y)Providence (https://flic.kr/p/rfCz5Y) by vavpa (https://www.flickr.com/people/63560619@N06/), on Flickr
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7446/16414622209_552ecdbcc6_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/r1veiK)Alaska (https://flic.kr/p/r1veiK) by vavpa (https://www.flickr.com/people/63560619@N06/), on Flickr

sitzmark
02-21-2015, 06:24 AM

Stick a "-" sign in front of that for this morning's temp - minus 22 right now. Going out for a ski in a few minutes ... Guess if I can ski at these temps (not the first time for double digit negatives this season), I could ride. But I haven't. Miss it.

Trainer in the basement that I keep looking at and know what I should do, but haven't been on it since December. Still in OK condition, but caring my 10lbs of "winter weight". Going to be a slow start to ride season if I don't start turning the cranks, so time to jump on the CycleOps and do it. Roads too narrow and beat up to ride with any intensity outside.

sparky33
02-21-2015, 06:30 AM
I give up.

The roads are not safe for cycling here. I don't remember the last time I was on a bike that was going somewhere. Tired of riding inside.....for a hobby.
I've got to go pull snow off the roof. Call me when spring comes.

Climb01742
02-21-2015, 06:30 AM
As others have said, it's not simply the cold (though it's -9 here this morning, ouch.) Without wind, I can manage about an hour outside on the bike when it's in the teens. But now, our roads, in particular back roads, still have snow or ice on them. Roads are incredibly narrow -- often not even two cars can get by, much less two cars and a rider. And yep, the height of the snow banks is incredibly dangerous. Even in a car, turning onto a road is a crapshoot. Can't imagine trying it on a bike. All in all, as brutal of a winter as I can remember.

Climb01742
02-21-2015, 06:32 AM
I give up.

The roads are not safe for cycling here. I don't remember the last time I was on a bike that was going somewhere. Tired of riding inside.....for a hobby.
I've got to go pull snow off the roof. Call me when spring comes.

I hear ya, brother. More roof ice and snow removal for me today. This weather is really messing with my mind.

r_mutt
02-21-2015, 06:35 AM
this is the first time in 8 years that i have come to terms with riding on the trainer. i finally have learned to like it. so i'm not having too bad a time.

leftyfreak
02-21-2015, 07:29 AM
I give up.

I don't remember the last time I was on a bike that was going somewhere.

Ha! I was just thinking that I couldn't remember what it feels like to pedal a bike that was actually moving forward.

That being said, I'm in a pretty good place with my training. Regular early morning trainer sessions (before the rest of the house is awake), probably 6-10 hours a week of Ti Designs approved workouts.

I think we're all going to appreciate it when spring finally arrives!

makoti
02-21-2015, 08:48 AM
Trainer & the gym. With a bit of determination (ok, a lot), I can come out of winter in fairly good riding shape. My bike handling skills go to pot, but not much call for holding my line on my hobby horse.

paulh
02-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Hprobably 6-10 hours a week of Ti Designs approved workouts.

Can someone point me to the current batch of these? Thanks!

Ti Designs
02-21-2015, 08:52 AM

Doing anything mindlessly for hours will rot your brain and destroy your enthusiasm, that's why I train with goals - goals for that workout, short term goals and seasonal goals. I look forward to my workouts, I look forward to any time I can get out on the bike, and I certainly look forward to the season, to see just what all this training can do for me.

As for motivation, I'm putting together an indoor class schedule at Wheelworks. If people want to train, I've got the space and the trainers. Now it's just a matter of getting 4-6 people on the same page. I've agreed to ride in, open the shop and coach the session (yesterday it was 1 degree when I rode in)

It's not really impossible to train on the road around here, but it's damn hard! I've set up a number of my riders on fixed gears with studded tires, but even that's a challenge. The conditions keep changing, from loose snow which the tires have little problem with to glaze ice, which hasn't really been a problem with the roads being treated and the studded tires. The problem is the rapid changes in temp which cause slush to form hard ice that redirects the front wheel out from under you. Hills are a bit of a problem, I love the challenge of getting up a hill with limited traction. I'm a little less fond of having the bike understeer off the road on the way down. I've put myself into 5 snow banks this year...

carpediemracing
02-21-2015, 06:32 PM
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10984998_10153152219198824_1504231063456367022_n.j pg?oh=ce35a1c68ae0216287ff851944271d34&oe=5555302A

Last turn at the Rent, went there today to check out the course. First race March 15th there.

shovelhd
02-21-2015, 09:00 PM
As others have said, it's not simply the cold (though it's -9 here this morning, ouch.) Without wind, I can manage about an hour outside on the bike when it's in the teens. But now, our roads, in particular back roads, still have snow or ice on them. Roads are incredibly narrow -- often not even two cars can get by, much less two cars and a rider. And yep, the height of the snow banks is incredibly dangerous. Even in a car, turning onto a road is a crapshoot. Can't imagine trying it on a bike. All in all, as brutal of a winter as I can remember.

Yup. I refuse to ride in the travel lane for extended periods. It's not safe.

legMA
02-21-2015, 09:38 PM
I live in Boston and haven't trained outside in over a month. I was worried about volume at first, but have been able to keep the same amount up on the trainer. I've acclimated pretty well to long sessions. I've watched more cyclocross races, movies, documentaries, webinars, etc than I can recall. The 40in TV I picked up over the holidays has been instrumental, haha. Intervals break it up and pass the time- the hard days are straight Z2. I don't have rollers and I'm not crazy about what I'm sure are fading handling skills, but my short mountain bike commute over the past month I hope is slowing losses, a little at least.

Someone mentioned earlier about other racers just doing less, and those thoughts get me on the green machine. Of course, there are the other hand fulls of madmen and women pushing through just as much, and thinking of them is how to get through the recent addition of 1min power training and whats just around the bend. So yeah, training with goals, for me, especially the long-term ones, keeps me rolling. Also just don't want to mess up my mesocycles.

Some people are swearing by Zwift, btw. Could be a sweet team training tool over these kinds of winters when alpha launches.

sandyrs
02-21-2015, 10:01 PM
I live in Boston and haven't trained outside in over a month. I was worried about volume at first, but have been able to keep the same amount up on the trainer. I've acclimated pretty well to long sessions. I've watched more cyclocross races, movies, documentaries, webinars, etc than I can recall. The 40in TV I picked up over the holidays has been instrumental, haha. Intervals break it up and pass the time- the hard days are straight Z2. I don't have rollers and I'm not crazy about what I'm sure are fading handling skills, but my short mountain bike commute over the past month I hope is slowing losses, a little at least.

Someone mentioned earlier about other racers just doing less, and those thoughts get me on the green machine. Of course, there are the other hand fulls of madmen and women pushing through just as much, and thinking of them is how to get through the recent addition of 1min power training and whats just around the bend. So yeah, training with goals, for me, especially the long-term ones, keeps me rolling. Also just don't want to mess up my mesocycles.

Some people are swearing by Zwift, btw. Could be a sweet team training tool over these kinds of winters when alpha launches.

Yeah, I would be all over Zwift if the Mac tester were released yet. They say they're close though!

bcgav
02-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I would be all over Zwift if the Mac tester were released yet. They say they're close though!

It's available!!!!

https://download.zwift.com/beta-eula/

Rock solid so far on my MBP Retina.

carpediemracing
02-21-2015, 10:36 PM
II'm not crazy about what I'm sure are fading handling skills

As long as you don't go nuts on the trainer trying to hit numbers you should be okay with handling stuff. It's like the old joke where a guy has a broken hand and asks the doctor, "Doc, will I be able to play the violin when my hand heals?" "Sure!" "Great, because I couldn't play before!"

Likewise handling doesn't get better on the trainer but for me it really doesn't get worse. The riders that look like they were on the trainer are the ones bobbing and weaving but they were doing that on the trainer probably to hit numbers, make efforts, etc, without regard to form.

endosch2
02-22-2015, 01:37 AM
Trainer Road has motivated me to do more indoor riding than ever, also nordic ski as always. No problems with snow here in NH.....

shovelhd
02-22-2015, 06:52 AM
I lose some smoothness on the trainer but I think it's more a lack of road riding than bad trainer habits. It takes me a few rides to smooth out. The simulation games don't appeal to me because I'm on an intervals program.

Ti Designs
02-22-2015, 05:53 PM
I took the long way home tonight so I got in another 90 minutes on the fixed gear. More ice forming on the roads than I've ever seen, but I have studded tires and dropping the pressure down to 50 PSI really gets the studs in contact with the road. It's noisy, but traction was never a problem. I've got 4 red flashing lights and a headlight, so I'm pretty visible. I would have to say that all the opinions that it's too dangerous out there are from people who probably aren't out there. Considering the amount if ice forming on the road, the narrow roads due to the snow, a bit of fog filling the gaps between snow banks, and the number of potholes that have been installed, it was a damn nice night for a ride...

old fat man
02-22-2015, 06:12 PM
It's available!!!!

https://download.zwift.com/beta-eula/

Rock solid so far on my MBP Retina.

I've used it twice on my Mac. Meh. Wish I could mute it to watch a movie on the computer instead. Zwift feels like the winter equivalent of Tuesday night worlds with a bunch of cat 6's trying to get the strava segment.

I'm opting for trainerroad instead with a movie on or a sufferfest video.

I'll ride outside someday soon, but since I work from home I don't need to do so when the roads are still questionable.

Carpe, see you at the races, mostly the rent!

MattTuck
02-23-2015, 09:41 AM
This time of year, I figure my time is better spent in the gym and on the trainer. So long slow rides are not happening.

Once the weather improves, I'll start worrying about fitness on the bike. There are too many hills around here, and so even if I try to do low intensity stuff, I still end up with a portion of the ride at a higher intensity. There is just no way for me to climb a 5% grade in zone 1 or 2.

bcgav
03-13-2015, 09:23 AM
We finally had some decent riding weather earlier in the week. It got up around 50 degrees so the great '15 Meltdown has begun. Lots of puddles, potholes and run-off, the temp was high enough that the run-off wasn't black ice in the shade. Temp has dropped since yesterday and now there is a lot of black ice in the shade.

Fast paced 18 mile solo ride Tuesday afternoon and a nice 22 mile recovery ride on Wednesday afternoon. Typical conditions below. Running daytime flashers due to narrow or non-existent shoulders caused by snow banks, and full fenders.

Winter training indoors while stuck inside using TR, The Sufferfest, and Zwift has definitely paid off, very happy with my early season fitness in real-world environments now that I finally got outside.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n576/TAG_Balllistic/EEF7B289-A847-43E2-BC9D-F563B7BAE213_zpsdyzbpllq.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/TAG_Balllistic/media/EEF7B289-A847-43E2-BC9D-F563B7BAE213_zpsdyzbpllq.jpg.html)

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n576/TAG_Balllistic/10E7AE6F-A3A0-4544-B31E-7A05214F36A3_zpsf1xox9zd.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/TAG_Balllistic/media/10E7AE6F-A3A0-4544-B31E-7A05214F36A3_zpsf1xox9zd.jpg.html)

carpediemracing
03-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Carpe, see you at the races, mostly the rent!

You probably know this but we couldn't do the Rent because we have to pay for snow removal (and we're not allowed to do it ourselves).

Combined with a fortuitous (for us, and luckily no real injuries) roof collapse of the business that generated all the vehicular traffic that shut down Bethel, we secured Bethel for the 15th and 22nd. New Britain for the 29th and April 12th.

It'll be interesting to see how the various riders do. Based on Facebook and such it seems like some riders have some serious miles/hours in their legs. Relatively speaking, for me anyway, I'm one of them.

old fat man
03-13-2015, 11:37 AM
You probably know this but we couldn't do the Rent because we have to pay for snow removal (and we're not allowed to do it ourselves).

Combined with a fortuitous (for us, and luckily no real injuries) roof collapse of the business that generated all the vehicular traffic that shut down Bethel, we secured Bethel for the 15th and 22nd. New Britain for the 29th and April 12th.

It'll be interesting to see how the various riders do. Based on Facebook and such it seems like some riders have some serious miles/hours in their legs. Relatively speaking, for me anyway, I'm one of them.

I didn't know about the Rent and snow removal. I'm new to the area though.

Could you not get those Bethel venues on 14th and 21st? I'm still out of town on the weekends to ski, but why conflict with the Plainville series unless it was unavoidable? I'll see you in New Britain though.

carpediemracing
03-13-2015, 03:19 PM
I didn't know about the Rent and snow removal. I'm new to the area though.

Could you not get those Bethel venues on 14th and 21st? I'm still out of town on the weekends to ski, but why conflict with the Plainville series unless it was unavoidable? I'll see you in New Britain though.

Trust me, I didn't anticipate the cost of snow removal. It was about 20x as much as the initial "it hasn't snowed much yet" estimate for plowing the course (I don't remember when we discussed snow removal costs, it was probably in very early January sometime and it was still sort of warm outside), when we were negotiating the contract. I could do the original estimate, even weekly, but not 20x that with no assurance the weather would cooperate or that the road would be actually race able. It didn't help that we're forbidden from doing anything like spreading salt, using a snow blower, etc. I had a whole crew of teammates ready to go nuts on the snow (couple with real plows, one with a front loading tractor, a gazillion snow throwers), it would have been a fun party, but alas no.

With Bethel the course is unusable on Saturdays, at least for bike racing. Lots of traffic because many businesses are open.

Also it's a long story but in Nov 2014 I had a talk with the Plainville promoter. We sort of set our boundaries (he felt I was violating his by having a Sunday race in the town next to his location, this prompted the conversation). He emphatically stated that his races "always run 5 consecutive Saturdays starting the second on in March". I figured that all the racers that do my race could do his and we'd have 500 racers in CT each weekend. In fact some of my own staff said they were looking forward to racing Plainville Saturday and then working and racing my race on Sundays. Then Plainville popped up on BikeReg on Sundays - I did't know until some friends asked me what I thought of it. Totally blindsided me.

sparky33
03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
First time riding outside today in a few months.

It was humbling and wonderful.

guido
03-13-2015, 04:01 PM
I was out last sunday on the 10 miles of road I knew would fit two cars and a bike... After the snow... Maybe more road will have opened up after the rain tomorrow...

bcgav
03-13-2015, 04:05 PM
Out again today, 25 miles of Friday Fartlek. 3rd ride this week. A little chilly, still some icy spots in deep shade on back roads. Feels great to be riding outside.

shovelhd
03-13-2015, 06:46 PM
I went out on the road last Sunday for the first time since January and crashed. A snow squall blew in quickly and a gust of wind blew my front wheel into a rut, taking me down. I sprained my left thumb and got some minor road rash but was able to ride home. I'm fine now, full range of motion and minimal pain. I will exit base training this Sunday when I race at Bethel. Strength is good, midrange is good, top end is crap, but that's to be expected before build starts.

Rnaymik
03-13-2015, 11:48 PM
I honestly gave up right before the first big snow storm. That said, I haven't taken anything seriously this last year, so my fitness has been slowly dwindling. I just built a new road bike, and have been itching to get out. Before the snow started melting in the past two weeks it was seriously sketchy getting out of the city. no shoulder, pissy drivers. It once took me 30 minutes to get from east somerville to arlington center. Turned around and went home. Was more frustrating and stressful than I want to deal with while riding. I've been doing maybe 8-9 hours a week for the past two weeks and just bought some nashbar rollers as I've been without a trainer for a few years. I bought a nice cycleops a while back and couldn't bother myself to use it. Figured rollers would liven things up a bit, and they do. I think the part of using a stationary trainer that I can't deal with is the lack of motion. On the road it's nearly an unconscious thing, for the most part.

I've been between jobs for nearly two months now. I wish the winter hadn't been so bad, otherwise I would have gotten serious sooner. Oh well. There's always next year...

terry
03-14-2015, 06:48 AM
Knows it's been a brutal winter here and very little riding since the first snowfall in Jan. Prior to that I was in pretty good shape considering the time of year. Rode seven straight days from last sat to yesterday. Amazing how quickly you lose your conditioning. What a mess the bike is after every ride-so much salt and sand on the roads-I have to wash/clean it to prevent the sand from grinding away brake pads, chain and rings. But, it's still nice to ride again.

djg21
03-14-2015, 07:26 AM
I like riding my Computrainer and have been consistently riding 10-12 hrs weekly, using Ergvideos, and Zwift. I usually ride my MTB with studded tires through the winter, but this year, the snow has been too deep and a fat bike isn't in my future. Hopefully, we won't get much more snow this year and we'll get a few days of rain to wash the salt off of the roads.

sandyrs
03-14-2015, 08:06 AM
I like riding my Computrainer and have been consistently riding 10-12 hrs weekly, using Ergvideos, and Zwift. I usually ride my MTB with studded tires through the winter, but this year, the snow has been too deep and a fat bike isn't in my future. Hopefully, we won't get much more snow this year and we'll get a few days of rain to wash the salt off of the roads.

I don't have a fatbike either but from observing local conversations about packing the incredibly snowy trails, contending with hikers, etc., it seems like this winter was hard even on the fatbikers of the northeast.