PDA

View Full Version : a little torqued off.

thwart
02-19-2015, 08:21 PM
OK, my previous view of Campy's PT crank was generally positive. I'd removed one using my Park Tool bearing puller without much sweat, the crankset was fairly light and stiff in use and all was good.

However… I'm kinda stuck with the one I'm working on. The good ol' Park is just not cutting it, hasn't budged it one iota and things are starting to flex… and of course, by now there's a bit of a scuff/indent on each side of the non-DS crank arm. I did grease the non-DS interface back when I did the crank install, but maybe I should've used more. And certainly not tightened the thing all the way on.

Anyway, short of the priced-like-it's-gold-plated Cyclus puller and assorted hand fabricated things, what's been working for you for 'more difficult' removals? Looked back in previous threads and saw this mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042YZIA2

And in case you wondered… yes, I think UT is my preferred crankset design going forward. :rolleyes:

Anarchist
02-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Possibly this ....... .??

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HACKSAWS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=STHT20140&SDesc=12%22+Tubular+High%2DTension+Hacksaw

thwart
02-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Ha!

I did think of that today, actually. Then sanity returned.

… well, some degree of sanity anyway. :help:

nm87710
02-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Looked back in previous threads and saw this mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042YZIA2

That'll get 'er done. 4 years using one on PT cranks(alum & carbon) and it works like a charm.

thwart
02-19-2015, 08:46 PM
That'll get 'er done. 4+ years using one on PT cranks(alum & carbon) and it works like a charm.

Thanks very much!

That looked like the best option, but your initial post about it was 3-4 yrs ago, so wondered if anything had changed.

But then again, that hacksaw does have a bi-material handle for comfort.:rolleyes:

einreb
02-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Did you by any chance forget to remove the little washer before setting in the campy 'disc' to press against?

-Bernie

thwart
02-19-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks!

The washer was the first thing I checked… wish it was that easy.

oliver1850
02-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Tim broke his Park puller trying to get the arm off his CX crank. Finally did get it off with some improvised puller but it took a chunk out of the carbon arm in the process. Pretty sure it's his last PT crank.

thwart
02-19-2015, 09:17 PM
Tim broke his Park puller trying to get the arm off his CX crank. Finally did get it off with some improvised puller but it took a chunk out of the carbon arm in the process. Pretty sure it's his last PT crank.
Good to know I'm not the only one.

Seems they could've made the crank axle/arm interface just a little less snug without losing anything… what with that big bolt holding things on.

mktng
02-19-2015, 09:22 PM
I have a bike with a PT set up. Left the cranks on because I dont have the darn tool to remove. Thought about taking a hammer and punch to it haha

oldpotatoe
02-20-2015, 05:51 AM
OK, my previous view of Campy's PT crank was generally positive. I'd removed one using my Park Tool bearing puller without much sweat, the crankset was fairly light and stiff in use and all was good.

However… I'm kinda stuck with the one I'm working on. The good ol' Park is just not cutting it, hasn't budged it one iota and things are starting to flex… and of course, by now there's a bit of a scuff/indent on each side of the non-DS crank arm. I did grease the non-DS interface back when I did the crank install, but maybe I should've used more. And certainly not tightened the thing all the way on.

Anyway, short of the priced-like-it's-gold-plated Cyclus puller and assorted hand fabricated things, what's been working for you for 'more difficult' removals? Looked back in previous threads and saw this mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042YZIA2

And in case you wondered… yes, I think UT is my preferred crankset design going forward. :rolleyes:

Some heat onto the crank/spindle. Then pull it off. You did remove the crank bolt washer-yes?

thwart
02-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Some heat onto the crank/spindle. Then pull it off.
Thanks, OP. I'll give that a try with the gear puller outlined above.

Fatty
02-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Good blast of penetrating oil and let it sit over-night?

Get your puller in place, nice and tight and give the bolt head end of the puller where you put the wrench a nice little tap with a steel hammer. Sometimes a little impact gets things unstuck.

thwart
02-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Sometimes a little impact gets things unstuck.Thanks! Sometimes I forget that.

thwart
03-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Success. :banana::banana::banana:

Perhaps the ambient temp of 18 F helped a bit… ? And yes, I did manage to keep the salt from the garage floor off the tools.

The hammer never had to come into play.

The tool: T&E Tools 1 ton two jaw puller, $33 on Amazon. And the official Campy PT puller plug, $25 from Ben @ Velomine.

BTW, if anyone really needs the official plug, the Campy package actually contained two of 'em. I'll send the unused one out to you for $12.50 shipped. FWIW, there are alternate options that probably work as well.

OtayBW
03-01-2015, 01:08 PM
^
Excellent!