PDA

View Full Version : Another sports drink besides Cytomax?

waypastfast
02-19-2015, 03:33 PM
I have been a fairly sworn Cytomax user for the past 4-5 years now. But wondering if there are any better or different alternatives out there. Something with low sugar content is ideal. Any suggestions?

And in relation to the low sugar concern what do you recommend for a sports bar? Thanks!

old fat man
02-19-2015, 03:43 PM
I prefer water, and if I need to supplement with salt, I'll take electrolytes or pour some salt into my water bottle. If you must use a sports drink, try Skratch.

Also, on the food front, sports specific bars/gels/etc don't usually do it for me. I like Nature's Valley granola bars and Welch's fruit snacks. Bananas and pretzels for really long rides to prevent cramping and upset stomach.

avalonracing
02-19-2015, 03:50 PM
HEED by Hammer Nutrition. Great company, great products.

clyde the point
02-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Vitalyte makes me strong like a mule.

makoti
02-19-2015, 04:06 PM
I'll mention it since a similar thread introduced me to it - Skratch. Sounds good, although I just bought mine & haven't tried it. Reviews here were positive.

bikingshearer
02-19-2015, 04:09 PM
For low sugar, Nuun tablets are good. They are also fairly cheap and easy to carry so you can mix up a new batch on the road. You can get them at REI (online or in the store) as well as at plenty of bike shops. The taste is good enough to not chase you away.

Ralph
Lots of new brands, but nothing really beats traditional powered Gatorade for content or price. So just pick something you like the taste of. They all work the same.

Sports Docs know you ride faster, even on short intense rides, on sugar water of some sort. Fruit juices, sports drink, coke, etc. Sugar from these liquid sources go into your small intestine almost immediately from the stomach. Sugar in food takes longer. If you don't ride extra hard, or long, sure water OK. But you'll be faster on a sugar drink. Just avoid all sugar products off the bike, help avoid diabetes.

After long hours in hot weather (like we have in summer in Florida), it's hard to beat a coke, salted potato chips, and a Snickers bar for the last 20 miles.

Uncle Jam's Army
Osmo. Next question.

notsew
I like nuun. Seems to work fine for my needs. No sugar.

kurto
02-19-2015, 04:14 PM
I like Nuun as a low-sugar option, like many have said. Also, their Nuun Energy is low-sugar and has 35mg of caffeine for a lil pick-me-up. Also, we just had a pretty similar discussion, so check this out for some additional recommendations: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=162736

fiamme red
02-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Are we talking about food replacement drinks here? How many calories are there in a Nuun tablet?

bikingshearer
02-19-2015, 04:44 PM
Are we talking about food replacement drinks here? How many calories are there in a Nuun tablet?

The regular Nuun tablets are definitely not food replacement. I don't know how many calories each one has (I'm not where I can check) but I bet it isn't many.

Can't speak about the Nuun energy tablets - I've never used 'em, didn't even know they existed.

PQJ
02-19-2015, 04:45 PM
Hammer HEED. Melon flavor. It is the standard against which all others are judged.

Dr Luxurious
02-19-2015, 05:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy

6 teaspoons sugar : 0.5 teaspoon salt : 1 quart water

Cicli
02-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Spanish steaks.

If they are not available, Skratch labs.

enr1co
02-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Osmo. Next question.

+1 Osmo

http://osmonutrition.com/

Lanternrouge
02-19-2015, 05:24 PM
I've been pretty happy with Skratch. Before that, I used Cytomax. Most of the time, I just use plain water unless I'm going to be out a while. Two of the big factors with drinks are what tastes decent to you and what sits well in your stomach, so it's ultimately fairly individualized what's best for you.

jmoore
02-19-2015, 07:21 PM
I have tried a bunch and always come back to Cytomax. The flavor isn't overpowering or sticky when it gets hot during the summer.

The only thing I have used that was better was called G-Push. It was galactose based and had just about the perfect flavor. Their recovery drink was great too. I really wish they would not have gone out of business.

Cat3roadracer
02-19-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm partial to Murphys Irish Stout. PBR in a pinch. Surprised I'm the first to admit to this magic elixir.

choke
02-19-2015, 07:29 PM
How many calories are there in a Nuun tablet? I have two different flavors on hand; one has 7 and one has 8 calories.

pdmtong
02-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Nuun and Osmo

molly47
02-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Scratch 100 % great taste and no after taste like Cytomax.

Joachim
02-19-2015, 07:41 PM
I have developed an endurance drink the past two years. Sustained energy, gentle on the stomach and easy on the palate. MattTuck and Laupsi have both tested and used it. I'll let the users speak for themselves. We are planning to launch at the end of the year. The next batch will be ready soon. :)

LouDeeter
02-20-2015, 12:09 AM
Coconut water. High in potassium, low in sugar. Not going to give you a lot of energy replacement, but great for fluid and electrolytes. I've also used HEED and Accelerade. I still like Cytomax for energy replacement. Or, I carry Hammer Gel in the flasks.

CSKeller
02-20-2015, 12:15 AM
I still use cytomax sometimes because I need to use up what I still have. But now I'm hooked on Scratch Labs. I really like their pineapple!! Good stuff, easy on the stomach and works well!

charliedid
02-20-2015, 12:26 AM
Skratch and nuun are far more drinkable for me and I never feel bloated.

rugbysecondrow
02-20-2015, 06:52 AM
I make my own: 2/3 Water, 1/3 apple juice or pureed fruits, pinch of salt, little bit of honey, ...shake up and drink. I don't drink it for energy, but just for extra hydration.

oldpotatoe
02-20-2015, 07:16 AM
I'm partial to Murphys Irish Stout. PBR in a pinch. Surprised I'm the first to admit to this magic elixir.

After a really hard, long, against the wind ride yesterday, I found this to be great for recovery. Plus a chicken and pastrami sammy.

Michael Maddox
02-20-2015, 07:30 AM
I've wondered about the efficacy of traditional energy drinks vs gels and water. It would seem that the gel and water combination (how I eat them) would create a glucose solution in the stomach that might duplicate the effects of the pre-dissolved energy drink. Plus, this obviates the need for such vigorous water bottle cleaning to remove sugary gunk. And I really just prefer water in the bottles, anyway.

I'll do some research, but does anyone have some knowledge in this area?

Ralph
02-20-2015, 10:02 AM
http://drmirkin.com/public/ezine071110.html

Dr Gabe Mirkin....Sports Doc on subject.

OtayBW
02-20-2015, 10:09 AM
I need both hydration and calories in the form of liquids on rides of 4+ hours, and so I go with Accelerade. I've used it for many years, tolerate it well.
You should check out the other thread on this same topic from just ~2-3 weeks ago: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=162736&highlight=Drink

Ralph
02-20-2015, 10:19 AM
http://www.eload.net/eload/eProductChart1.htm

Some comparison data....various drinks and a gel

Fatty
02-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Hammer HEED. Melon flavor. It is the standard against which all others are judged.

Second on the Hammer Heed. I like the orange, might have to try the melon.

classtimesailer
02-20-2015, 01:03 PM
For a few years now, I start with two bottles of lemonade: One fresh lemon (or lime) split between two bottles, with two tablespoons of sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of salt in each. For real long rides, I drop a Nunns or Hammer Fizzee thing in refills at a drinking fountain and eat peanut butter sandwiches. I haven't done any power or time-to-fatigue tests comparing lemonade and powdered drinks so maybe I'm missing out. :)

deechee
02-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the post, I need to try something new. Skratch is definitely tasty but doesn't have much salt in it which I found out the hard way.

Cytomax was great before the formula change a few years back, I drink Tropical Fruit and Lemon whatever now. But now that I'm back to doing bricks, I find I'm getting some gas discomfort when I run after the bike... not sure if its the Cytomax or just me.

Gu Brew is the only other drink that's worked for me for heat and long, intense workouts. Its overpriced in Canada for some reason.

Food wise, I really enjoy Pro bar (http://theprobar.com/). Definitely a lot more tasty (real fruits) than most. That said, once again, the salt content is a bit low for the summer. (I sweat A LOT.)

Nuun is a handy backup I carry sometimes in the summer for less intense workouts. That said, I don't really like the taste. So I don't drink it enough.

Such fussyness...

laupsi
02-20-2015, 02:18 PM
I have developed an endurance drink the past two years. Sustained energy, gentle on the stomach and easy on the palate. MattTuck and Laupsi have both tested and used it. I'll let the users speak for themselves. We are planning to launch at the end of the year. The next batch will be ready soon. :)

I give my recommendation w/out any reservation. Have used Cytomax, Heed & Cera Sport. Joachim's mix is completely equal or better w/regard to mixability, taste, digestion, nutritional & hydration benefit. Cost is reasonable & it's all natural. All in all a quality product from a quality source. And you'd be supporting a fellow forumite. What more do you need?

Cheers!

BTW, just put another order in for myself about a week ago

Joachim
02-20-2015, 03:11 PM
I give my recommendation w/out any reservation. Have used Cytomax, Heed & Cera Sport. Joachim's mix is completely equal or better w/regard to mixability, taste, digestion, nutritional & hydration benefit. Cost is reasonable & it's all natural. All in all a quality product from a quality source. And you'd be supporting a fellow forumite. What more do you need?

Cheers!

Thanks! The current flavor that will be available for shipping in about a week is natural strawberry. This is dye free with stevia as sweetener. We developed the endurance drink with three main objectives in mind: no upset stomachs like with sucrose high drinks (gatorade etc...gut rot), palatable DURING exercise (things taste different when you are working out) and little or no insulin spikes (ie leads to "sugar crash"). Feel free to PM me if interested.

Joachim
03-01-2015, 01:28 PM

Cheers!

1x 5lbs left from the current batch....:). PM if interested.

Alan
03-01-2015, 03:33 PM
I really like Tailwind drinks. They are very reasonably priced and very light on flavor and sugar levels.

See http://www.tailwindnutrition.com/

Alan

jwalther
03-02-2015, 06:12 AM
Sword if you want some calories. http://www.drinksword.com/

KWalker
03-02-2015, 06:14 PM
I prefer Osmo. For whatever reason it goes down slightly easier than Skratch and seems to balance thirst and hydration well. I find that Hammer, Accelerade, and Gatorade are too concentrated and even watering them down didn't seem to alleviate the gross taste I would get in my mouth after a while that made me not want to drink anymore.

rnhood
03-02-2015, 06:40 PM
I find that Skratch and Tailwinds both tend to go down easier than Osmo but its just a preference thing. Any of these do the job and are good. Gatorade Light also is Ok.

zzy
03-02-2015, 06:49 PM
http://www.eload.net/eload/eProductChart1.htm

Some comparison data....various drinks and a gel

I came here to recommend this stuff as well. Works far better for me than just about anything else. Better blend of carbs, more sodium, absorbs faster. Tastes a bit chalky, but when you need it you don't notice.

firerescuefin
04-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks! The current flavor that will be available for shipping in about a week is natural strawberry. This is dye free with stevia as sweetener. We developed the endurance drink with three main objectives in mind: no upset stomachs like with sucrose high drinks (gatorade etc...gut rot), palatable DURING exercise (things taste different when you are working out) and little or no insulin spikes (ie leads to "sugar crash"). Feel free to PM me if interested.

After contacting Joachim, purchased the "secret sauce" ;) after discussing what I wanted vs. what his mix would provide. I like stuff that is lighter tasting (i.e. not really sugary) and for comparison was using the Skratch stuff. I have been very pleased. Good sustained energy, tastes good, easy on my stomach and digestive system, and quenches my thirst....which may sound silly, but I've had stuff in the past that just didn't check that box. I am interested in how it works as things heat up, as our T/Th World Championship starts at 1800 when it's still 100+ outside and weekend rides get to that temp quickly. Plan on ordering more.

CunegoFan
04-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Infinit. Order a blend that meets your needs.

Osmo over Skratch because Skratch is owned by Alen Lim, who enabled doping and continues to lie about it.

guido
04-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Scratch is working well for me...