PDA

View Full Version : Hub recommendations

News Man
04-07-2006, 04:11 PM
What makes one hub better than another?

Are the hubs more or less important than the rim and spoke combinations in terms of fast rolling, durable wheels?

Any preferences among DT 240, DuraAce, SpeedCific, White Industries? or you name it? The wheel will have a shimano cassette.

Any help is appreciated.

ergott
04-07-2006, 04:19 PM
I can personally vouch for:
Tune
White Industries
DT
Chris King
Shimano (not just Dura Ace)
Campagnolo (not just Record)
Phil Wood
IRO (SS)

All of the above hubs make quality wheels. Some do not have Campy splines (CK and PW) which limit those options. The weak points of wheels are:

build quality
improper spoke length
improper spoke count

Even most rims (DT, Velocity, Mavic etc) are great provided the spoke count is taken into consideration. Lighter rims (of the same material) generally need more spokes. More spokes is the best way to make a stiffer, more responsive handling set of wheels.

News Man
04-07-2006, 04:23 PM
I can personally vouch for:
Tune
White Industries
DT
Chris King
Shimano (not just Dura Ace)
Campagnolo (not just Record)
Phil Wood
IRO (SS)

All of the above hubs make quality wheels. Some do not have Campy splines (CK and PW) which limit those options. The weak points of wheels are:

build quality
improper spoke length
improper spoke count

Even most rims (DT, Velocity, Mavic etc) are great provided the spoke count is taken into consideration. Lighter rims (of the same material) generally need more spokes. More spokes is the best way to make a stiffer, more responsive handling set of wheels.

But what is your favorite for a 10 speed shimano cassette?

ergott
04-07-2006, 04:32 PM
But what is your favorite for a 10 speed shimano cassette?

Dura Ace 7800

The splines were meant for the new cassette and there is no gouging issues. THe freehub is also shorter so the drive side flange is 18mm from center which is the best I've measured. The bigger that number is, the better the drive side spokes support lateral loads. Chris King comes in second with 18mm. The 7800 also yeilds higher tension on the non drive side spokes than Chris King and cost a lot less.

I'm splitting hairs here because as I've said before I've has success with all of them.

Spicoli
04-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Gonna back ergott on this one. The 7800 hubset is unreal, they feel almost C-king like and cost dirt in comparison. Spin someone's wheelset and watch the freehub body not budge. Talk about no resistance! They are damn light too.

Pretty bullet proof also, Jeff :banana:

merckx
04-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Do most folks overhaul new DA 7800 hubs before they use them? In other words, does Shimano use enough grease when they assemble them in the factory? Thanks.

Spicoli
04-07-2006, 08:48 PM
They may be a little inconsistant with the amount used, or so I have heard. I actually did have dry sqeak coming from the cass body when I first got them but a couple drops of Tri Flow and it was gone. Not worth sweating in any way IMO. They where and are still buttery.

Peter P.
04-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Good qualities to look for in a hub:

Thick hub flanges with radiused spoke holes support the spoke elbows better and result in fewer broken spokes. Some hubs of yore had a reputation for premature spoke breakage; don't know if there are any underperformers available these days.

Ease of adjustment with commonly available tools.

Reliable cassette mechanism/freehub body.

Readily available replacement parts.

My Phil Wood cassette hub meets all these criteria.

Rich_W
04-08-2006, 06:34 AM
I just pulled the trigger on a set of Tune hubs: Mig70 Front 180 rear. Just based on recc's from others on WW. Supposedly smooth as butter, strong... but with one caveat... not the best for repeated foul weather use. Honestly, if I know its gonna rain, I'm on my fender bike. Getting caught in a shower or two is now big deal. I heard the end caps just slide off, and putting a film of greaase over the bearing seals also helps. Regardless... they are freaking light.

Troy Watson of Ligero Wheelworks (http://www.ligerowheels.com) is building me up a pair of superlight, yet semi-responsible clinchers. Tune Hubs with Sapim CXrays, 24/28, Radial Front, 2/3cross rear on Alex Crostini 3.1 rims (Yes made in Tiawaan, but machined @ 370g...). Target weight somewhere between 1250-1275g for the pair. Considering I've been riding daily on 1100g Zipp Paves/AC hubs/DT 18/24 with conti sprinters with no issue... these should be fine for me.

I should have them next week, and plan to post up a follow up/ride impressions of them.