PDA

View Full Version : I'm heart sick over this Saul Raisin thing

coylifut
04-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Sorry to break up a totally good pre Paris Roubaix Friday, but I'm heart sick over Saul Raisin's condition. I've been visiting his website where his parents have been typing frequent updates, but it's currently down and all there is - is a picture of a very young Saul on what must be his very first bike. The team doctor confirms that there's some brain damage, but at this time they don't know what they are going to get when they wake him up.

My dad suffered a similar injury and I moved in to help take care of him and it was the hardest two years of my life. I'm hoping and praying for Saul's quality of life and the challenges that his parents face.

Friends, thanks for reading

catulle
04-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Thank you for letting us know. Our prayers are with him.

Tailwinds
04-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Don't lose hope. Yes, the brain is still a mystery, but there are good outcomes. He's got youth and a supportive family on his side.

gasman
04-07-2006, 03:30 PM
I agree-it's such a tragedy for someone so young and healthy.

MarinRider
04-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Yes, this troubled me a lot as well. I was on a training ride two weeks ago and a car cut me off all the sudden. I flipped over the bar and landed on my head, helmet destroyed, broken collar bone, broken ribs, torn ligament on my thumb: seems to be a similar accident as Saul. Fortunately I didn't have any brain injury.

Counting my lucky stars and well wishing thoughts to Saul.

nobrakes
04-07-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of such a great new talent being distracted from what he loves by such a thing. As a cyclist recovering from a severe brain injury, I know there is much hope. My thoughts and prayers for Saul and his family for total recovery.

Frog Hair
04-07-2006, 04:18 PM
I've got nothing "constructive" to add to this other than my vocalization of what a great person Saul Raisin is. He is a friend and I've been gut-wrenched since this crash. If nothing more, I just want everyone else who does not know him to know what a wonderful person and athlete he is. I know a lot of D-1 level cyclists (I'm not boasting...just stating a fact). What seperates Saul is his genuine passion for just riding the bike. He never talks about contracts, or money or really even "himself." He soaks up the countries he gets to live and race in, he loves to tour and be exposed to the world and he reflects that back to everyone. For him, racing is like the perk that lets him enjoy the whole world at once. Many pros love their job and of course a love for cycling brought them to that point. The picture on Saul's home-page sums it up; he's just a kid out there with a big heart and a big smile who is just stoked to get to earn a living pedaling a bike. I can't imagine what is next for Saul, but I hope the best for him and his family. Should he have to leave the sport, then cycling will certainly be deprived of a future star whose light has just barely begun to shine on the big-stage.
Saul - here is my best wishes for you to get well soon. You've got my thoughts, prayers and support 100%. Show us what you've got and make this the ulitimate come-back.

:beer:

Tailwinds
04-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks for enlightening us as to who Saul Raisin really is -- outside of the bike racer we read about. He sounds like he has an amazing spirit and a real zest for life.

I suffered a severe brain injury due to a bike wreck almost 3 years ago. My prognosis was similar -- UNKNOWN. I had lots of bleeding and swelling on my brain. The doctors couldn't say if I'd survive or how I'd turn out if I did survive. Sound familiar?

I am very blessed and very fortunate to be able to sit here and type this and say I've made a fantastic recovery. I'm back on the bike, I'm pursuing my dreams, and I have a better perspective than even before my wreck. I've always loved life -- loved living -- and it sounds like Saul is that way, too.

I'll keep Saul in my thoughts and prayers. Please try to stay positive around Saul. It's amazing how powerful the mind is and how we absorb the positive energy from those around us.

Tailwinds
04-07-2006, 07:36 PM
The latest update is here: http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9707.0.html

I can't help but quote this part of the interview w/Saul's doctor:

VN.com: Have you ever seen anything similar to this case in your many years as a cycling doctor?

DJM: Well, the one case that comes to mind is Fabio Casartelli (who crashed in the 1995 Tour de France). He died within one hour, but remember, he was not wearing the new hard-shell helmets like the riders are required to wear now. This crash could have been similar. The helmet saved his life, that's for sure.

That's the same thing my doc said about my helmet.

This post is not intended to start a flame-war. Please remain respectful of Saul Raisin if you respond to this thread.

shinomaster
04-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Helmets are a good thing. I have been riding road bikes for 13 years and finally I "used" a helmet. I always wore one, even though I used to think that I would never land on my head, because every time I crashed I landed on my shoulder or back. I never hit my head untill my concussion last month. That was such a fast, freak accident too. I will always wear mine now...even to the coffee shop. I still can't get my idot brother to wear a helmet. What a moron.

I too pray for Saul.