PDA

View Full Version : Cross racing in bad weather question

gmcampy
02-19-2015, 08:06 AM
Monster Cross is Sunday. The weather in Roanoke has been snow and icy cold for teh last week. The day before and day of race are calling for a good chance of rain and temps in the 40's.

The question for you "hard core" cross guys n gals is do I wear rain gear or just layers with wool included? I have Froggtogs which "breath" a bit but I suspect I will still overheat in them. The course is being "shortened" but I suspect it will still be 4 or 5 hours in the saddle for me.

Thanks
Glenn

crankles
02-19-2015, 11:30 AM
This is just me, and it more relates to cold rainy cross races which are shorter in nature, but my rule of thumb is this; if it's cold, but no rain, then layer up...if it's raining and some gore-texy rain gear is not an option, I opt for heavy embrocation and shorts on the legs. knickers/full leg tights get wet , heavy and chaffe.

my 2 pence.

mtb_frk
02-19-2015, 11:40 AM
For me I try to wear the least amount possible. Rain gear before the start is fine then strip down. It's sucks standing around at the start being cold and wet, but 10s after the whistle blows you don't even feel the cold any more.

If the temps were in the 40s and I was doing the race this weekend I would be wearing my summer clothes after this brutally cold winter. High of 2 today with windchills -20. :)

Gummee
02-19-2015, 12:42 PM
My vote is for both: layer with a few thin wool layers then something waterproof.

...and expect to be cold, wet, and miserable by the time you're done.

No rain today, but I was out in a Castelli sleeveless seamless base, a 150wt LS base, then a Castelli Flanders wool layer under my Phantom jacket. Had on some knickers under my Specialized softshell tights.

Only parts of me that got cold were my toes (booties are too big) and my fingertips.

If I hadn't had the excuse of 'needing to go to the Post Office,' I probably would've ridden my rollers 'cause MAN! is it cold and windy out!

M

sandyrs
02-19-2015, 01:10 PM
If you're going to be in the saddle for 5 hours, absolutely wear rain gear. Sure, in an hour-long CX race, one tends to go hard enough to not need the protection to stay warm, but if you're going to be doing a more endurance-type event, water-resistant gear will go a long way to keep you warm during the less intense parts of the event. Good luck!

gmcampy
02-19-2015, 01:40 PM
If you're going to be in the saddle for 5 hours, absolutely wear rain gear. Sure, in an hour-long CX race, one tends to go hard enough to not need the protection to stay warm, but if you're going to be doing a more endurance-type event, water-resistant gear will go a long way to keep you warm during the less intense parts of the event. Good luck!

I was pretty much in agreement with you before I posted :). The goal is to finish not win, worst case I try and keep core from overheating and shed layers.

redir
02-19-2015, 02:22 PM
I didn't know that was tomorrow. I'm down in the Burgs but I think I'll take a pass on it. It's only going to START warming up on Sunday. I would imagine you will be racing the whole course in about a foot of snow that will start to get real sloppy at the end.

brando
02-19-2015, 05:27 PM
Sounds like a perfect day for embro. Maybe some of those chemical warmers in the shoes and gloves. Wool base layer.

b021c
02-20-2015, 06:25 AM
Hey Glenn, Some teammates are coming up for this from Raleigh. Based on my experience last year at the cold, rainy & windy Love Valley, the key items for me were MA embrocation down to my feet, overshoes bonus sprayed w/ Scotchguard, Search & State Jacket, neck muff, solid gloves & cap. I have to keep my feet dry and warmish otherwise I mentally suffer.
I've been training outside for the last couple of days as we hardly see extreme conditions like this so I may just come on up to the Monstercross. Chapeau to you for giving it a go!

gmcampy
02-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Hey Glenn, Some teammates are coming up for this from Raleigh. Based on my experience last year at the cold, rainy & windy Love Valley, the key items for me were MA embrocation down to my feet, overshoes bonus sprayed w/ Scotchguard, Search & State Jacket, neck muff, solid gloves & cap. I have to keep my feet dry and warmish otherwise I mentally suffer.
I've been training outside for the last couple of days as we hardly see extreme conditions like this so I may just come on up to the Monstercross. Chapeau to you for giving it a go!

Thanks, looks like the changing weather will probably make me cancel. Sat and overnight we expect 5-7 inches of new snow and ice making the drive from WV too challenging. If things change I will TRY and make the trek, not worth wrecking cars to race a bike, LOL. Maybe Sunday I will hit the local gravel instead