PDA

View Full Version : Best pro cycling physique that I have seen

Rebel_Biker
02-18-2015, 01:47 PM
I was a college athlete turned almost competitive bodybuilder, pulled out of contest because I blew the carb load and flattened out. I did enjoy being bigger and holding a lot of muscle.

I always struggled with getting too skinny riding/racing. So, I did lots of interval work and not much fitness. I cost me chances to win some races, but it was only cat5.

I have to say that Andrea Guardini has a pretty muscular physique. His genetics for holding that lean mass must be amazing. I guess Gripel and Kittel are also a bit more muscular, but Andrea looks a bit better proportioned.

weisan
02-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Does Eric Marcotte fit the same mold?

http://cycling-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Eric-Marcotte-wins-2014-USA-road-championship.jpg

fiamme red
02-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Guardini's upper body physique looks a little less impressive when he's off the bike. But as far as professional road cyclists go, he's pretty muscular.

http://cyclingperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Le-Tour-de-Langkawi-2014-Stage-3-295.jpg

Louis
02-18-2015, 02:13 PM
No one can beat the Chicken.

Chris
02-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Anybody else feel like they need a shower? I just feel so dirty.

Louis
02-18-2015, 02:21 PM

Here, this will help:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6AKyqqIe5HU/UCIzuYmoVOI/AAAAAAAADbc/0U38h6RtwqY/s1600/sean+bd.jpg

Rebel_Biker
02-18-2015, 02:42 PM
Does Eric Marcotte fit the same mold?

http://cycling-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Eric-Marcotte-wins-2014-USA-road-championship.jpg

Yes

Rebel_Biker
02-18-2015, 02:47 PM

Bodybuilders always thread the line. I took my wife to a Pro contest in NYC and she was shocked at how straight, maybe not all the audience, admired men's physiques. Although, they now have the Miss fitness in the same day. She almost divorced while watching that contest, especially with the butt poses.

Now we have thread drift.

texbike
02-18-2015, 02:48 PM
I just assumed that the 1st picture was going to be Cipo! What a disappointment... ;)

Texbike

texbike
02-18-2015, 02:51 PM
Although, they now have the Miss fitness in the same day. She almost divorced while watching that contest, especially with the butt poses.

Now we have thread drift.

Ummmm, #9 please. I'd like to order a #9.

Thanks! :cool:

MattTuck
02-18-2015, 02:51 PM
If you're riding a bicycle to develop a good physique, well that sounds like a terrible idea.

Louis
02-18-2015, 02:52 PM
If you're riding a bicycle to develop a good physique, well that sounds like a terrible idea.

Actually, for guys like us I think it helps. (at first)

Raffy
02-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Ummmm, #9 please. I'd like to order a #9.

Thanks! :cool:

# 14 and #9 combos for me please! :banana:

MattTuck
02-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Actually, for guys like us I think it helps. (at first)

Right, from a general fitness perspective, being lean is better than being a blue whale (which appears to be my winter spirit animal), so I agree with you there. But when 95% of the professional athletes in your chosen sport cannot be considered having a 'healthy physique', that should be a big tip off.

beeatnik
02-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Rebel Biker, I like your style.

Louis
02-18-2015, 03:02 PM
when 95% of the professional athletes in your chosen sport cannot be considered having a 'healthy physique', that should be a big tip off.

I don't identify a whole lot with those guys. (Same thing for NFL linemen)

If I were to choose a pro-sport athlete I'd want to emulate physique-wise it would be either tennis or football (aka "soccer"). NBA is too tall.

Dead Man
02-18-2015, 04:05 PM
I ride to race... But I still do pull-ups and push-ups.

My wife said she wouldn't tolerate no anorexic bike racing man. I promised her it wouldn't happen, unless someone was paying me to ride faster... That hasn't happened yet.

witcombusa
02-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Guardini's upper body physique looks a little less impressive when he's off the bike. But as far as professional road cyclists go, he's pretty muscular.

http://cyclingperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Le-Tour-de-Langkawi-2014-Stage-3-295.jpg

Well, not really...
see below

witcombusa
02-18-2015, 04:15 PM

If I were to choose a pro-sport athlete I'd want to emulate physique-wise it would be either tennis or football (aka "soccer"). NBA is too tall.

You want to grow up to look like Serena Williams :eek:

David Tollefson
02-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Nelson Vails, Kurt Harnett and Ken Carpenter... But they were sprint cyclists exclusively. "Physique" and cycling don't really seem to go together in my mind.

MattTuck
02-18-2015, 04:24 PM

I'd add that hockey players can be pretty ripped as well. Physical sport, so a lot of muscle mass and also extreme cardio demands, so pretty lean. You rarely see them without pads on, but that is another sport that develops the whole physique.

dancinkozmo
02-18-2015, 04:35 PM
this guy takes the cake.....

http://velofille.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/former-pro-cyclist.jpg

fiamme red
02-18-2015, 04:36 PM
My goal is a physique somewhere between a pro cyclist and a sumo wrestler. :)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/25/article-2476435-18F94C6000000578-543_634x410.jpg

old fat man
02-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Swimmers. Swimmers have a natural, well rounded physique.

msl819
02-18-2015, 04:54 PM
Before the Summer Games in LA in 1984 they commissioned a statue of the ideal Olympian. They modeled it after a water polo player... I forget his name. That is what those powers that be identified as the ultimate athletic physique.

fiamme red
02-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Before the Summer Games in LA in 1984 they commissioned a statue of the ideal Olympian. They modeled it after a water polo player... I forget his name. That is what those powers that be identified as the ultimate athletic physique.Terry Schroeder.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/dec/11/sports/sp-crowe11

msl819
02-18-2015, 05:02 PM
Terry Schroeder.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/dec/11/sports/sp-crowe11

Yep... That's the one.

velomonkey
02-18-2015, 05:23 PM
OK, so let's get all velosexual - I can go there.

1. LeMond in his heyday looked good on a bike. HUGE quads, flat back and not too skinny (people who call him fat need a hole in their head)

2. Mario - Mario is 100% sex 100% of the time. Even years after retirement. Bonus points for best hair in the pro peleton EVER.

3. Boonen - Get's props for being the coolest looking guy in the over 6' foot club - as someone over 6' this is a hard task. Tom pulls it off - Hincapie, for example, does not (ever seen Hincapie in a shirt and jeans, I have, you can't unsee that).

4. Andrea Tafi - On the other side we got the short club - Dude was short, but dude looked awesome on a bike. Most shorts dudes don't - either all tree monkey mountain climbers or all dorky looking like Betinni - Tafi was all class from the start to the end. Bonus points for making a cycling cap even cooler (you know what I'm talking about - you get bonus points)

Honorable mentions:

Hinualt. Dude looked good on a bike and is wicked handsome for an older dude. Kept in decent shape and looks more like Magnum PI than Magnum PI himself.

Kloden - Way too skinny, but for the skinny guys he looked good - jersey open, upright, head forward - dude never looked like a tree monkey despite being the size of one.

Kittel - Phinney on his best day is still worse than Kittel on his worst day. However, the wrong light and the dude is kind of ugly. Still, he's tall, he's fit and he's got good hair (albeit wicked styled out - not classy like Mario).

Eric Heiden - dude was all legs and all power. If they had power meters back then don't look at his numbers, you'd cry. Bonus points for getting the highest school degree of all pro cyclists.

John Tomac - there has never, nor will there ever be another Best All Around Rider (i.e., BAAR, back when they had that) as good Tomac. US crit champion, world downhill and MTB champ. "Hey, John - you're good on the bike, let's throw you into Roubaix, bet you will do awesome" - he got 2nd to last. Still, Tomac rocks and he looks good, but he had a rat tail at one point and for that - sorry, can't make THE list, I don't make the rules I just follow them.

Louis
02-18-2015, 05:33 PM
I think any big-time German trackie should be immediately disqualified from the conversation.

nooneline
02-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Right, from a general fitness perspective, being lean is better than being a blue whale (which appears to be my winter spirit animal), so I agree with you there. But when 95% of the professional athletes in your chosen sport cannot be considered having a 'healthy physique', that should be a big tip off.

I don't think many people on this board are in any danger of developing fitness comparable to professional cyclists.

Black Dog
02-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Here is Curt Harnett. Who still holds the record for the fastest ride on a 'normal' bike at 9.865 seconds for the flying 200m, with an average speed of 72.985 kmh (45.35 mph): http://www.uci.ch/english/palmares/t...cord_index.htm

I raced in a crit with him in the late 80's when he was still at his peak on the track. He was on a standard SL lugged frame and decided to wind it up and literally cracked the BB shell off the frame. Everyone in the race was in awe. He was a monster.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/obj/001064/f1/0406harnett5-v6.jpg

wallymann
02-18-2015, 06:02 PM
tafi is 187cm, which is over 6'1"...absolutely not a short dude.

4. Andrea Tafi - On the other side we got the short club - Dude was short, but dude looked awesome on a bike. Most shorts dudes don't - either all tree monkey mountain climbers or all dorky looking like Betinni - Tafi was all class from the start to the end. Bonus points for making a cycling cap even cooler (you know what I'm talking about - you get bonus points)

Shoeman
02-18-2015, 06:12 PM

He not only takes the cake, but he eats the whole cake. Plus some extra doughnuts for good measure!!!!!!!!!!

professerr
02-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Swimmers. Swimmers have a natural, well rounded physique.

Swimmers always look unnaturally top heavy to me -- not a surprise since they pull themselves through the water with their hands.

I'd have to pick ballet dancers, both male and female.

Louis
02-18-2015, 06:22 PM
I'd have to pick ballet dancers, both male and female.

https://screen.yahoo.com/chippendales-audition-204009746.html

Not ballet, but close...

giverdada
02-18-2015, 06:29 PM
i'd have to go with the ballet dancers, more guys than ladies as the ladies often end up with male-cyclist-like phsyiques - anorexic. OR: decathlon. literally be pretty effin good at every damn discipline type (i guess no swimming though…)

now i need to go do some push-ups. just after i put my doughnut away.

msl819
02-18-2015, 06:31 PM

1. LeMond in his heyday looked good on a bike. HUGE quads, flat back and not too skinny (people who call him fat need a hole in their head)

2. Mario - Mario is 100% sex 100% of the time. Even years after retirement. Bonus points for best hair in the pro peleton EVER.

3. Boonen - Get's props for being the coolest looking guy in the over 6' foot club - as someone over 6' this is a hard task. Tom pulls it off - Hincapie, for example, does not (ever seen Hincapie in a shirt and jeans, I have, you can't unsee that).

Honorable mentions:

Hinualt. Dude looked good on a bike and is wicked handsome for an older dude. Kept in decent shape and looks more like Magnum PI than Magnum PI himself.

Kloden - Way too skinny, but for the skinny guys he looked good - jersey open, upright, head forward - dude never looked like a tree monkey despite being the size of one.

Kittel - Phinney on his best day is still worse than Kittel on his worst day. However, the wrong light and the dude is kind of ugly. Still, he's tall, he's fit and he's got good hair (albeit wicked styled out - not classy like Mario).

Eric Heiden - dude was all legs and all power. If they had power meters back then don't look at his numbers, you'd cry. Bonus points for getting the highest school degree of all pro cyclists.

John Tomac - there has never, nor will there ever be another Best All Around Rider (i.e., BAAR, back when they had that) as good Tomac. US crit champion, world downhill and MTB champ. "Hey, John - you're good on the bike, let's throw you into Roubaix, bet you will do awesome" - he got 2nd to last. Still, Tomac rocks and he looks good, but he had a rat tail at one point and for that - sorry, can't make THE list, I don't make the rules I just follow them.

No offense to the shorter among us but I will take 6'3" over 5'7" any day. Granted I am also 220ish so 6'3" and 150 on a grown man is hard to look at.

Steve in SLO
02-18-2015, 06:31 PM
Not to be contrarian, but I was going to go with Liz Hatch

velomonkey
02-18-2015, 06:40 PM
No offense to the shorter among us but I will take 6'3" over 5'7" any day. Granted I am also 220ish so 6'3" and 150 on a grown man is hard to look at.

Same here, friend (well, 210 and 6'3"). I especially like it when we drop our brethren of 5'7" on a hill - I just say "Bro, I suck - nut up and keep up."

:confused:

Hawker
02-18-2015, 06:48 PM
If my wife looks over my shoulder, I am in all sorts of trouble.

msl819
02-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Same here, friend (well, 210 and 6'3"). I especially like it when we drop our brethren of 5'7" on a hill - I just say "Bro, I suck - nut up and keep up."

:confused:

You calling me fat?!?!? I always enjoy reminding my 135 pound riding partners that I am carrying almost two of them up our hills. However, we also have some riders that have 25-45 pounds in me and they can hold their own. At our size you learn quick how to use momentum to your advantage.

Elefantino
02-18-2015, 06:55 PM
With all that beef I thought I'd add a little Chicken ...

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/cdn/9-1/43813/images/2007/200703200853_i9c9_1174504786_4571905.jpg

Black Dog
02-18-2015, 06:59 PM

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/cdn/9-1/43813/images/2007/200703200853_i9c9_1174504786_4571905.jpg

He is literally wearing a skin suit.

velomonkey
02-18-2015, 07:01 PM
tafi is 187cm, which is over 6'1"...absolutely not a short dude.

Damn!!!! "Alex I'll take Italian racers from the 90s and early 2000s on Belgium teams for $500."

Ok, so short dudes who look cool . . . .short dudes looking bad ass. . . . .

I'm coming up blank. :bike:

Another kind of tall rider who was badd ass - Erik Dekker. Spanked both Hincapie and Armstrong. Spanked Armstrong all while yelling at his DS "I can beat him, I'm not Boogerd. I got this."

pbarry
02-18-2015, 07:03 PM

Took THREE pages to get to LH, really?? Thank you, Steve! :hello:

msl819
02-18-2015, 07:05 PM

How can his arms be so dark and his face nowhere close to that brown? I know guys go for that hard tan line (a problem I have never nor will never have) but those arms look spray tanned.

Rebel_Biker
02-18-2015, 07:27 PM
I'd add that hockey players can be pretty ripped as well. Physical sport, so a lot of muscle mass and also extreme cardio demands, so pretty lean. You rarely see them without pads on, but that is another sport that develops the whole physique.

I agree. Hockey and Lacrosse were the sports I played in college. I always joke that as a college hockey player, I was a great HS hockey player.

Rebel_Biker
02-18-2015, 07:31 PM

Not tough to look at.

My wife was watching when I posted the fitness competitors. She is a good sport, but will not be attending any bodybuilding contest with me in the future.

Rebel_Biker
02-18-2015, 07:32 PM

Honorable mentions:

Velosexual? I think we have a winner.

wc1934
02-18-2015, 08:00 PM

No - he ate the cakes.

rePhil
02-18-2015, 08:13 PM
I've become a fan of BMX after watching my young grandkids race. The "Pro" BMX riders both (Men & Women) are fast sprinters for sure with great bike handling skills. When their motos are up the tracks are lined with plenty of fans.
My daughter in law shared one of her thoughts of why that is:

TRACK
02-18-2015, 08:21 PM
you mean robert forstemann?

gdw
02-18-2015, 08:29 PM
This dude is pretty rugged but his haircut is effeminate.

Louis
02-18-2015, 08:33 PM

Yes!!!

Rebel_Biker
02-18-2015, 08:50 PM

I don't know how he passes a drug test. I just can't believe he could have that type of muscularity without anabolics. He also has the tell tale bloated puffy face.

I guess this string was going to have thread drift no matter what. And I will take the blame for that.

I would also test that jacked up BMX guy in the underwear ad. I raced BMX in the 80s and never remember any girls at our races. I also don't remember any of us looking like that guy. But then again, pro BMX racers in the 80s did not make much money and most of us hung up our bikes when we went to college or got real jobs.

plag
02-18-2015, 10:16 PM
How can his arms be so dark and his face nowhere close to that brown? I know guys go for that hard tan line (a problem I have never nor will never have) but those arms look spray tanned.

Thats just plain scary. That probably scares away future cyclist.

plag
02-18-2015, 10:18 PM

He does not look human.

CheshireCat
02-19-2015, 12:37 AM
He does not look human.

it was likely an heroic quantity of clenbuterol/cutting agents and EPO mixed together.

my heart still goes out to tornado tom

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5283/5234231712_4ded660c51_z.jpg

Matthew
02-19-2015, 02:35 AM
Forstemann has legs like Tom Platz. Holy smokes!

dancinkozmo
02-19-2015, 08:19 PM

she has the jowls of a goddess...

Rebel_Biker
02-19-2015, 09:51 PM

At least post one of the maxim pictures.

Now my wife will definitely divorce me if she reads this thread.

Rebel_Biker
02-19-2015, 09:54 PM
Is this Liz posing with the greatest bike ever?

christian
02-20-2015, 01:31 AM
Cofidis's Geoff Soupe (Nacer Bouhanni's lead-out man) looks pretty fit... Maybe that physique is my 2015 goal...

http://pelotonmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ZUPER-1553.jpg

buddybikes
02-20-2015, 05:30 AM
Need equality here with our better half. Marion Rousse hands down
(remember back in time seeing Rebecca Twig close up on a podium before start of race, my god, knees became weak.)

http://www.tribalzine.com/IMG/jpg/FFC_Maillot2013_005.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7jm6fMQUG1rq37leo1_400.jpg

oldpotatoe
02-20-2015, 06:13 AM
LokiLani McMichael

Steve in SLO
02-20-2015, 08:32 AM

Of course she does.
I mean, why ELSE would I have posted a pic of her if it weren't for her...um...jowls?

witcombusa
02-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Do triathlete's count?

Most definitely not :no:

Rebel_Biker
02-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Cofidis's Geoff Soupe (Nacer Bouhanni's lead-out man) looks pretty fit... Maybe that physique is my 2015 goal...

Agreed - His physique shows a happy medium.

Elefantino
02-20-2015, 09:10 AM
After today's stage of the Ruta, I'd have to go with this guy ...

http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/wp-content/uploads/LIS4861-399x400.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2015, 10:22 AM
. . . I usually feel like I look like THIS on a bike!

:eek:

BBD

texbike
02-20-2015, 10:26 AM
LokiLani McMichael

Nice reflectors!!! ;)

DCilliams
02-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Wow! Who is Marion Rousse?! I'm dead.

Dead Man
02-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Wow! Who is Marion Rousse?! I'm dead.

She doesn't look that great in other pics.

--

Definitely digging the tan lines on Ms. Hatch...

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Is this Liz posing with the greatest bike ever?

Not Hatch.

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Do women racers wear makeup when they race? Some of the photos make it look like they do. I would think it would be counterproductive in that if they sweat it will smear and possibly interfere with their vision.

Honest question here. I'm not trying to be snarky.

BBD

beeatnik
02-20-2015, 11:17 AM
my new Catella kit makes me think I have a pro cycling physique since it's one of the few garments which reminds me of my former non puny self

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7322/16591227171_ed897c7447_c.jpg

catella.net

oh, the pro chicks have man legs.

RFC
02-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Definitely Eric Heiden. Here he is on the cover of a physiology text book. Speed skaters often spend the majority of their training time in the weight room. After his Olympic success, he actually had to lose muscle mass in order to cycle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cronobikes/6344736835/

Dr Luxurious
02-20-2015, 12:47 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/tmge/I-bet-you-didnt-notice-the-Godzilla_zps1fef0491.jpg

oldpotatoe
02-20-2015, 02:17 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/tmge/I-bet-you-didnt-notice-the-Godzilla_zps1fef0491.jpg

And you would be right.

lucasfarr92
02-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Boonen is forgotten as having a good physique. He became a sex symbol in cycling for it.

Rebel_Biker
02-20-2015, 11:02 PM

+1
I was staring at the pink bike.

Dr Luxurious
02-20-2015, 11:11 PM
It sure as hell ain't my physique

click if you dare (https://www.flickr.com/photos/erika_kali/14410910825/)

Dead Man
02-20-2015, 11:16 PM
It sure as hell ain't my physique

click if you dare (https://www.flickr.com/photos/erika_kali/14410910825/)

Those aint track thighs

Louis
02-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Those aint track thighs

Nice socks, though...

Rouleur88
02-20-2015, 11:28 PM

I noticed Godzilla right away. Both of them.

fatallightning
02-21-2015, 01:42 AM
Adam hansen looks like a dude I could kick it with.
https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/09/WATSON_00003947-001.jpg

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-21-2015, 06:57 AM

With all that mass, he looks short.

pbarry
02-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Do women racers wear makeup when they race? Some of the photos make it look like they do. I would think it would be counterproductive in that if they sweat it will smear and possibly interfere with their vision.

Honest question here. I'm not trying to be snarky.

BBD

Yes, some do. Waterproof products.