PDA

View Full Version : Seeking approval for my new wheelset

crossjunkee
04-07-2006, 11:40 AM
After much debate, I've decided on a wheelset for my Spectrum. I also decided on a builder.

I talked to Mike Garcia in length about wheels yesterday. Very easy to talk to, and really knows his product! This will be my everyday, race, daily work commute, and climbing wheelset. Here's what we decided on.

White Industries hubs H1's black
CX-ray spokes black (I chose these b/c I love the way they look. If Mike felt strongly about another spoke, I would've switched.)
DT RR rims 28 front and rear radial laced front
brass drive side nipples only

Yes, everything is black, but I'm partial to black wheels

I've always heard good things about White Industries, but I have zero first hand knowledge. Is anybody riding these hubs currently?

SoCalSteve
04-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Mike Garcia built, White Industry hubs with DT 14/15 spokes and DT RR 1.1 rimes. 32 spoke....

Very nice set up!

Steve

davids
04-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Mike Garcia? I approve!

No experience with White hubs, but the wheels (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9712) that Mike built for me are my everyday set, and they're lovely.

crossjunkee
04-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Mike Garcia? I approve!

No experience with White hubs, but the wheels (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9712) that Mike built for me are my everyday set, and they're lovely.

Your picture and insight helped with my decision this week, so thank you! I originally called for the DT hubs. but his price was so much lower than anticipated, I upgraded the hubs to Whites. Mike didn't care for the DT front hub, and being the picky person I am, I had to have matching hubs. Even though the SpeedCific hubs would've performed just fine. I'll probably be ordering a set of those for my cross bike this fall.

Fixed
04-07-2006, 03:14 PM
bro that is not the same mike garcia that used to swim for stanford and was a cat 2 cyclist in the early 80's is it ?

ergott
04-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Your picture and insight helped with my decision this week, so thank you! I originally called for the DT hubs. but his price was so much lower than anticipated, I upgraded the hubs to Whites. Mike didn't care for the DT front hub, and being the picky person I am, I had to have matching hubs. Even though the SpeedCific hubs would've performed just fine. I'll probably be ordering a set of those for my cross bike this fall.

Excellent choice. He has made a lot of happy riders. Just a question or two. What didn't he like about the front DT hub? Did he consider the White Industries hubs a step above DT?

IMHO, the two choices are very comparable in quality. I don't see what the upgrade is.

crossjunkee
04-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Excellent choice. He has made a lot of happy riders. Just a question or two. What didn't he like about the front DT hub? Did he consider the White Industries hubs a step above DT?

IMHO, the two choices are very comparable in quality. I don't see what the upgrade is.

DT only makes one front hub. They use it for mtn. bike wheels, and road wheels. I didn't get in to the difference between a road and mtn bike wheel though. If you'll notice in the link davids provided, he used a speedcific front road hub. I'm sure it's for that exact reason.

When I was talking to Mike, he gave the edge (a VERY small edge) to White for the following reasons:

1. They use Ti for the cassette mounting.
2. 20t engagement
3. 5 bearings instead of 4

davids
04-07-2006, 04:08 PM
If I remember correctly, Mike's opinion was that the Speedcific front hub was comparable in quality to the DT front hub, weighs less, and costs less.

I would have been suspicious that he was biased towards his 'house' brand, but he recommended the DT rear hub over the Speedcific rear hub. He said that one was worth the extra money.

FWIW, I've had no issues with either of the hubs. Except that, if I go for too long without riding the wheels, the oscillating noise from that rear hub always takes me by surprise!

We didn't discuss the option of White hubs. Dunno why he didn't offer them as an option to me...

ergott
04-07-2006, 04:09 PM
DT only makes one front hub. They use it for mtn. bike wheels, and road wheels. I didn't get in to the difference between a road and mtn bike wheel though. If you'll notice in the link davids provided, he used a speedcific front road hub. I'm sure it's for that exact reason.

When I was talking to Mike, he gave the edge (a VERY small edge) to White for the following reasons:

1. They use Ti for the cassette mounting.
2. 20t engagement
3. 5 bearings instead of 4

I think that part 1 and 3 make sense. The star ratchet system is no slouch when it comes to engagement. As far as the front hub, Tune makes no distinguishment either. DT has 2 front hubs, radial specific and regular. I don't see why there has to be a different hub for mtn. unless you are talking about disc hubs. The hubs are not the weak point in a well built wheel. Impact damage to the rim is.

malcolm
04-07-2006, 04:10 PM
I've got upwards of 5k miles on white ind. hubs from dave thomas and no complaints thus far. I would't hesitate to go with them again.

Ray
04-08-2006, 06:15 AM
If I remember correctly, Mike's opinion was that the Speedcific front hub was comparable in quality to the DT front hub, weighs less, and costs less.

I would have been suspicious that he was biased towards his 'house' brand, but he recommended the DT rear hub over the Speedcific rear hub. He said that one was worth the extra money.

I had the same experience with Mike - he's not afraid to mix and match to get you the best set of wheels for what you want if you're not married to a "matched set". I ended up with Speedcific front hub and DT rear also, with DT front rim and a Velocity rear rim (the velocity was lighter AND had an off-set spoke hole pattern for greater strength). Great, great set of wheels!

-Ray

weiwentg
04-08-2006, 07:57 AM

imo, it's pretty hard to screw up a front hub. they're aluminum tubes with an axle, two bearings, and holes in the flange.