PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo EPS thumb shifter

r_mutt
02-18-2015, 11:58 AM
if Campagnolo has one weakness, it's operating the thumb shifter from the drops. i understand that EPS has changed the location and dropped it down to make it easier to reach. can anyone comment on this?

Raffy
02-18-2015, 12:10 PM
I'm glad someone brought this up. The main reason I stopped looking at Campy was the operation of the thumb shifter from the drops. Curious to hear what people have to say about this.

FlashUNC
02-18-2015, 12:20 PM
The thumb shifter is angled lower. But I've never had an issue shifting either their mechanical or electronic from the drops. If I had to choose, I'd say the electronic is easier, but if you can't shift the mechanical from the drops, you may still be SOL with the electronic.

ceolwulf
02-18-2015, 12:23 PM
From my perspective at the bottom of the food chain, I will say that the bike I have with current Veloce with the angled button similar to EPS is a lot easier to shift from the drops than the other one with older Centaur (current hood shape but Ultra Shift).

r_mutt
02-18-2015, 12:24 PM
it's not that I can't reach it, it requires a slight adjustment of my hand. I just want to shift without changing my hand position.

stien
02-18-2015, 12:33 PM
it's not that I can't reach it, it requires a slight adjustment of my hand. I just want to shift without changing my hand position.

This. And I rode my record 10 deep in the drops. I could see someone who didn't ride all the way forward on the drops hating life with thumb shifters.

velomonkey
02-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Way back in the early 90s when I was in a shop and rode Dura Ace fro other reasons we all used to look at campy and we'd be like "OK, so I get how you change gears on the hoods, but the drops?!?!?" - fast forward like 18 years and I'm on campy. I've been on 10 speed, 11 speed and EPS.

I have ZERO issues with the thumb shifting in the drop. It is totally ideal, no. Can it be worked with? Yes. Is the negative of it more than made up for while using the thumb shifting on the hoods - and dumping gears? Yes.

Yes, every now and then I'm in a crit and I shift and have to adjust my hand. Not ideal. Has zero impact on my placing.

FlashUNC
02-18-2015, 12:53 PM
The thumb effort and movement is far less on electronic, since you're not ratcheting the system with your finger, you're just pressing a button.

Its definitely less hand movement and easier. But whether that's enough of a reduction is a personal thing.

vqdriver
02-18-2015, 12:58 PM
on a related note, is campy planning on satellite shifters so you can place one down in the flat?

re the thumb shifter, that's precisely the reason why i left campy years ago. i'm giving them a go again because i really want to like it and i haven't tried them since they changed lever shapes. so crossing my fingers.....

FlashUNC
02-18-2015, 01:01 PM
on a related note, is campy planning on satellite shifters so you can place one down in the flat?

re the thumb shifter, that's precisely the reason why i left campy years ago. i'm giving them a go again because i really want to like it and i haven't tried them since they changed lever shapes. so crossing my fingers.....

My understanding is Shimano has the patent on the satellite shifters.

oldpotatoe
02-18-2015, 01:01 PM

EPS thumb has always been droopy, 2015 Athena and Veloce are too.

No satellite shifters afaik. Droopy thumb real easy to reach, press/hold....

thirdgenbird
02-18-2015, 02:13 PM
My understanding is Shimano has the patent on the satellite shifters.

If they have a patent, I am skeptical it will hold up. Mektronic had a satilite shifter way before di2.