PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rare watch found at Goodwill for $6

druptight
02-18-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm not a watch guy, but I know there are a lot of you on here. Saw this story this morning. Guy finds rare watch sans band at goodwill for $6, sells for $35K plus a $4k watch:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ariz-man-buys-watch-6-bucks-sells-35-000-article-1.2119062

If I saw that thing at a goodwill, there's no chance I'd give it a 2nd look.

jr59
02-18-2015, 08:47 AM
I look all the time. I've found a few very nice pieces over the years.

It's almost as fun as to find them in a pawn shop that have no idea what they have!

AngryScientist
02-18-2015, 09:29 AM
i'm a total sucker for dive watches. i would have been all over that.

Ken Robb
02-18-2015, 09:37 AM
I guess there are plenty of fake Rolex watches but few to none of the more obscure brands of fine watches. I have a pal who buys/sells these things, mostly Rolex, but not by prowling thrift stores. Many of his deals are bought/sold on Craigs List without the huge margin this guy enjoyed. A recent deal was $800 for a stainless Rolex that he then sold for $1,000 which is still a pretty good profit.

raygunner
02-18-2015, 10:09 AM
So now we're celebrating flippers?! :rolleyes:

Louis
02-18-2015, 10:16 AM

It wasn't a Masi with period-correct Campy, so that's OK.

druptight
02-18-2015, 11:03 AM

Should he have tried to find a true enthusiast and sold it to him for $6?

Sounds like he donated some of his profits to the goodwill, although he didn't disclose how much.

Saint Vitus
02-18-2015, 11:08 AM
That'll be the last time this happens at Goodwill lol

I used to scour thrift stores, but never made out quite like that.

jr59
02-18-2015, 11:17 AM
That'll be the last time this happens at Goodwill lol

I used to scour thrift stores, but never made out quite like that.

Doubt it. To many fakes, and cheap stuff being dropped off there. Some under paid, over worked employees will let some more stuff slide by. You just have to catch it at the right times.

Most thrift shops can't open the cases to look at them

CaliFly
02-18-2015, 11:20 AM
I would have picked this up anyway...even if I didn't know the "true" value. Nice find!

Saint Vitus
02-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Doubt it. To many fakes, and cheap stuff being dropped off there. Some under paid, over worked employees will let some more stuff slide by. You just have to catch it at the right times.

Most thrift shops can't open the cases to look at them

True, but a lot of thrift stores have "Collectables" sections and the crap that gets fobbed off as either collectable or high dollar is amazing, so it leads me to believe someone is watching out for stuff. Plus I've know some people who know when to go hang out at the sorting centers and glean the wheat from the chaff.

This is akin to winning the lottery.

My best pick was an original Sony transistor TV for $14.95 that I rebuilt, watched the first gulf war on and later sold on ebay for $500.

IJWS
02-18-2015, 11:54 AM
I did not know that Action Bronson had a brother in Arizona...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeZ2Ot9Vws

d_douglas
02-18-2015, 12:27 PM
When I first moved to Geneva, I went into a thrift shop type of place and saw an original Castiglione Arco lamp in beautiful shape.

http://revisioninteriors.com/2012/03/31/arco-lamp-by-flos-designer-achille-castiglioni/

It was 300chf ($275) and I was determined that I would not buy anything non-essential until I got a job. Within 5min I realized that I should buy it because a) it was cool and/or b) I could flip it for 3x or more the price. By the time I circled back to the lamp to snatch it, a collector had his hands on on it and it had been 'vendu' (sold).

My wife cursed me for being an idiot.

A few weeks later we walked past a mid-century modern furniture shop and there it was, for sale for 1800chf.

Vinci
02-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Sounds like he donated some of his profits to the goodwill, although he didn't disclose how much.
That's too bad. Goodwill profits pretty handsomely from the generosity of others as it is.

Repack Rider
02-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Not nearly as sexy as an expensive watch, but I pick up my sunglasses at thrift stores. You have to know what to look for and I do. You have to check frequently as the good ones go fast. Even when I have sunglasses, I don't pass up a bargain.

I have a total of $11 invested in my three current pairs, which all retailed for several hundred dollars.

Cheaper than gas station shades, and a lot nicer.

Steve in SLO
02-18-2015, 04:53 PM
When in college, I picked up a 1st Ed "The Sun Also Rises" by Hemingway for $5 at a local thrift store. I then walked into a bookstore up the street and confirmed it was a 1st Ed and was worth about $500 in its beat-up shape. My only thought then was "Score!" I still have it.

buddybikes
02-18-2015, 05:04 PM
My only close deal like that was a circa 1970 full campy record Cinelli picked up at bike shop customer sale day for 275.00 Wish I had the room to have kept and had it restored it properly. Guy was selling to get a downhill bike.

chuckroast
02-18-2015, 07:10 PM
They do manage to identify a lot of the good stuff and put it on their auction site.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/