PDA

View Full Version : Specialized AWOL Comp

hairylegs
02-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Just ordered one! Super excited to do some off road/touring on this bad boy! Anybody here have one? Eventually I'd love to get belt drive and Alfine Di2 going on it!

oldpotatoe
02-18-2015, 06:06 AM
Just ordered one! Super excited to do some off road/touring on this bad boy! Anybody here have one? Eventually I'd love to get belt drive and Alfine Di2 going on it!

Where do they get these names..'AWOL'..??

bluesea
02-18-2015, 07:34 AM

Nice concept, the bike. They could have named it Doper, and that wouldn't be as bad as AWOL.

eippo1
02-18-2015, 08:50 AM

Regardless of the fact that it's an odd name, everyone that sees the bike in the shop sees the name "gets it" and understands what the bike is about.

At least those with a passing familiarity with cross and road bikes and not those that come in for an upright hybrid and make sure to state "I'll never use it for racing..." :rolleyes:

hairylegs
02-18-2015, 10:51 AM
No racing here! I plan to do some local dirt and also touring - so it should be perfect! Speaking of....anybody here based up in the Northwest? Want to do some touring up there and could use input!

GRAVELBIKE
02-18-2015, 10:56 AM
I have one (https://www.flickr.com/photos/justridingalong/sets/72157645738424801/). It's not a light bike, but it handles nicely with a front load.

That said, I much prefer my Salsa Vaya.

Dude
02-18-2015, 12:20 PM
I think it's a great name. AWOL = Absent Without Leave. I feel the name conveys exactly what this bike does.

Lanterne Rouge
02-19-2015, 07:55 AM
I have one (https://www.flickr.com/photos/justridingalong/sets/72157645738424801/). It's not a light bike, but it handles nicely with a front load.

That said, I much prefer my Salsa Vaya.

That is a really nice build - cool and understated.

I eyeballed one of these when I was looking for a touring bike but it decided it was too much of a touring bike for me needs. In the end I opted for a Dahon Tournado (basically a Ritchey Breakaway Cross).

If I had rolling countryside on my door step or if I was regularly undertaking overnight + rides I wouldn't hesitate to put an AWOL on the shortlist.

unterhausen
02-19-2015, 08:33 AM
I thought it was a horribly insensitive name, but just about everything that specialized does annoys me anyway. I'm waiting for the inevitable cease and desist letters to show up in bars in Baja. They obviously never thought about serving their country, the bottom line is that AWOL means you screwed your fellow soldiers.

GRAVELBIKE
02-19-2015, 10:08 AM
That is a really nice build - cool and understated.

I eyeballed one of these when I was looking for a touring bike but it decided it was too much of a touring bike for me needs. In the end I opted for a Dahon Tournado (basically a Ritchey Breakaway Cross).

If I had rolling countryside on my door step or if I was regularly undertaking overnight + rides I wouldn't hesitate to put an AWOL on the shortlist.

In all honesty, it's more tourer than what I use it for. But, it's a demo/loaner, so not a big deal. If someone wants a dirt-capable tourer that handles well with front rack/panniers, it's not a bad choice (although it's somewhat overgeared, IMO).

Dude
02-19-2015, 11:08 AM
@unterhausen, good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

hairylegs
02-25-2015, 09:59 AM
Well, despite the name, the bike arrived Monday evening. It's massive, but gorgeous. It seems like it's built well with good componentry. I took it on its maiden voyage, heading into Santa Monica on the road. It must weigh close to 30 lbs. But getting it up to speed in the flats is no problem. And it rolls with some authority. I'm impressed.

I have it set up similar to my road ride and it really does ride like a road bike despite the fatter (40mm?) tires. After I ran some errands in SM and filled my backpack up with weight (!) I headed to the dirt.

I took Sullivan Ridge up. The gearing is good, but not as easy as I could go on my Mountain Bike when I had it. Still, I was able to make it up the steepest pitches without going too red. I made it to Mullholland and started my decent down Westridge. Hardly a dirt veteran I was so impressed by how easy this bike came down. I felt very secure and the braking was wonderful.

Hitting the street again for more descending and I continue to be impressed.

Anyway, I think this bike is a perfect fit for me. Hybrid riding and touring, here I come!