PDA

View Full Version : One shoe to ride them all!!!

Miller76
02-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Greetings all,
I've got a pair of shoes for road riding, and a pair for off-road and cyclocross. Both are on their last legs and I'm looking to replace them. My road pedals are also on their way out.

Decision time, do I stick with separate shoes for road and off-road, as well as SPD and SPD-SL pedals or is it time to put SPD's on the road bike and get one really nice pair of shoes for all riding?

I was thinking the Giro Empire VR90 might be a good option?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/17/6ca1e184c1b76577e56525460c8ca326.jpg

Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions

I don't race, and spend the majority of my time riding gravel (60%). Road and mountain equally split over the last 40%

Thanks in advance
Simon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
02-17-2015, 08:42 PM
spd's are good and all, but IMO are not as good for road as road pedals. I personally love my SPD-SL pedals and would not trade them for mtb pedals for road use, ever. actually, my all-roads, gravel bike also has 7850 pedals on it, and has never been an issue.

additionally, i think lace-up cycling shoes are silly. anachronistic for the sake of being anachronistic. i would hate to use those on a regular basis. modern ratchet or wire closure shoes are so much simpler to put on and off, with a much more secure feel. laces - really? bad idea for an everyday, do it all shoe IMO.

summary: personally i wouldnt do it. road pedals for bikes with 700c wheels, mtb pedals for mtb's.

Louis
02-17-2015, 08:46 PM
I think it comes down to whether you consider yourself a roadie at heart (in which case you go SPD-SL for that) or an off-road guy who every now and then does some road riding on the side (in which case you have no problem using SPD on a road bike).

eddief
02-17-2015, 08:52 PM
why most non-racers would choose road shoes. Why waddle like a duck when you get off the bike? Why carry cleat covers for when you get off the bike? Why risk breaking your neck when you get off the bike? Why hassle at all when you get to / have to walk someplace? Why screw with one sided pedals?

My guess is a pair of Dominators and any good two-sided pedal will be as efficient as any set of road-only stuff.

As much as I am not fond of Speedplay's approach to the marketplace, I love the Frogs and they work great with medium high-end Shimano mt. shoes.

R3awak3n
02-17-2015, 08:54 PM
I use SPD on all bikes now. Used to have SPD on my "off road" bike, SPD on my road bike that I sometimes commuted in and speedplay on my fast bike.

Ended up deciding to just have 1 pair of shoes and 1 system and SPD ended up staying because to me

1- Can walk anywhere no problem, also to me they engage better than speedplay

2- Works fine in dirt, in tons of dirt and mud and snow and etc

3- Got tired of having 2 shoes

4- Want to commute with all my bikes, sometimes I want to take the fast bike to work and go for a ride in the park after work and hated commuting with the speedplay shoes. I also want to ride gravel with all my bikes. Both road bikes have 28c tires and I take em on whatever roads I damn please and have gone through mud many times.

5- I don't race or care much about road bike etiquette. I feel that my "mountain" shoes are stiff enough for me

I have SPD PD-M540 on the bike that sees more gravel than road and for both my road bikes I have the Shimano PD-A600. They are the lightest SPD pedals in the market (290g) and better looking than normal 2 sided SPDs, they look just like road bike pedals. You do loose the double side engagement but I am ok with that.

MattTuck
02-17-2015, 09:04 PM
I don't see the point in spending a lot of money on Mountain shoes... my experience with anything mountain bike related is that the lifetime is about 20-30% of the life time of analogous road equipment. It is like dog years, practically.

I would buy a low to mid-range shoe for mountain biking with the expectation that they'll get trashed - and through no fault of your own, mtb is just rougher on equipment. Save the nice stuff for road riding when it will actually last.

bobswire
02-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Depends on the kind of riding you do. I prefer SPD mountain pedals since I ride for health, enjoyment and commute. Using road pedals and their cumbersome cleats make no sense for my needs besides I like to stop and smell the roses. I'm not a hammerhead, bike racer, nor "kit" conscious but I understand those who prefer road pedals with the feel of being locked in to take full advantage of each pedal stroke. BUT don't think using SPD will leave you in the "their" wake, I can still climb and descend with the best of them. :)
BTW another descent shoe with good width adjustment is Fizik M5

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product/8864/27/Fizik_M5_Uomo_Mountain_Shoes.htm

http://i59.tinypic.com/21ag761.jpg

tumbler
02-17-2015, 09:14 PM
I use Sidi Dominators and Bebop pedals on the road. I'm planning to use the same setup on the MTB build I'm planning. Easy to walk in, bombproof, and tons of float (which I like, but is a personal preference).

xjoex
02-17-2015, 09:16 PM
I like the specialized rime. http://robonza.blogspot.com/2013/04/review-specialized-rime-mountain-bike.html It has a vibram sole, comfortable, and stiff enough for me.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WHm65kBsfWI/UXwo_09L2hI/AAAAAAAAMew/_xIYP6aYNr8/s640/P4270020.jpg

-Jod

jtakeda
02-17-2015, 09:22 PM
I think road shoes are far more comfortable for road riding.

I would vote for two sets of shoes.

Louis
02-17-2015, 09:29 PM
I think road shoes are far more comfortable for road riding.

I would vote for two sets of shoes.

Based on my experience I agree with this, but as far as fit goes, is there any reason an MTB shoe can't be as comfortable as a road shoe (on a road bike)?

For example, must a Sidi MTB shoe be significantly different from a Sidi road?

jtakeda
02-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Based on my experience I agree with this, but as far as fit goes, is there any reason an MTB shoe can't be as comfortable as a road shoe (on a road bike)?

For example, must a Sidi MTB shoe be significantly different from a Sidi road?

To be honest I think its less about the make/quality/construction of the shoe than it is the cleat-pedal interface itself.

Road cleats are way bigger compared to mountain so it distributes the force on your foot more evenly.

This makes the shoe more comfortable on road rides. In general mountain/off road rides are shorter than a typical road ride so you don't really notice a mountain shoe as being uncomfortable. That being said do a 100 mile ride in road shoes and the same ride with mountain shoes and you'll say, "yeah give me a road shoe" almost 100% of the time. YMMV

Louis
02-17-2015, 09:38 PM
So maybe it's an MTB pedal & cleat issue, not a shoe issue.

Maybe the MTB interface just isn't up to scratch for hour after hour of typical road use. If that's the case, then there's no doubt in my mind, road pedal and shoes on a road bike.

choke
02-17-2015, 09:38 PM
I still use road shoes/pedals on my road bikes, mainly because I'm used to them and I do tend to be a traditionalist.

On my gravel bike I run MTB shoes/pedals and I've come to really appreciate them. I think that the difference between the two isn't as much these days given that most of the higher end MTB shoes tend to have carbon soles and thus are very similar to road shoes in terms of stiffness. There's also no question that it's much easier to walk around wearing them. I seem to recall that Andy Hampsten uses them pretty much all of the time these days...he must not feel that they are 'holding him back' compared to road shoes.

I'll probably continue to have both but if I was forced to make a decision I think I could be happy with using the MTB shoes/pedals as my only option.

FWIW, my MTB shoe of choice is the Fizik M1.

eddief
02-17-2015, 09:53 PM
I think if you look at these two Sidi shoes; one road the other mountain, you'd be hard pressed to say one would be more comfortable than the other.

Now maybe the pedal/shoe interface can make a comfort difference. That's why I switched from SPD to Frogs many years ago.

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=1&id=58&lng_riv=
http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=1&id=67&lng_riv=

R3awak3n
02-17-2015, 10:02 PM
In my experiments I have done the exact same ride with speedplay shoes and with giro mtn shoes and was fine with both, did not feel that one was substantial more comfortable than the other or that have the speedplay shoe let me go faster on the bike.

SPD does have a smaller platform and there are some complains about hot foot which I certainly have had but also have had with road cleats/shoes

thirdgenbird
02-17-2015, 10:08 PM
why most non-racers would choose road shoes. Why waddle like a duck when you get off the bike? Why carry cleat covers for when you get off the bike? Why risk breaking your neck when you get off the bike? Why hassle at all when you get to / have to walk someplace? Why screw with one sided pedals?

Most of my rides begin and end from my garage and I can track stand through most intersections. I hardly do any walking, even on long rides.

I've done spd, eggbeater and look. I've felt no advantage to double sided pedals on a road bike. I can get in a look pedal in one fluid motion and I don't have to do it often on a normal ride.

eBAUMANN
02-17-2015, 10:09 PM
road shoes/pedals/cleats for "road" rides and mtn shoes/pedals/cleats for "cross/mtn" rides...that simple.

the amount of time spent off the bike on a road ride is not enough to justify the used of a mtn shoe...but conversely, the amount of time spent in the saddle on a road ride is more than enough to justify the use of a road shoe, which has a vastly more solid/secure feeling pedal interface, IMO.

its not like shoes are so unbelievably expensive that having 2 pairs is gonna put you in the poor house. you can get GREAT shoes for short money these days.

IMO, the extra $100 or so that it will cost you for a set of road shoes/pedals is more than worth the price tag for the far superior connection to your bike you will experience on a long/intense ride.

mtechnica
02-17-2015, 10:13 PM
I use SPD for everything nowadays and so do a lot of people I know. Anymore SPD shoes and shimano pedals are so good there's not much to gain from SPD-Sl et al, giro makes great shoes now, I would venture to say giro is the new sidi, although sidis as nice too but maybe not what they used to be. I personally think it's purely psychological that some people insist on road shoes and cleats, SPD with the retention set high are very secure and efficient. If it works for mountain bikers and cross it's kinda ridiculous claiming it's not secure, maybe if you use Jank brothers pedals it's not.

mtechnica
02-17-2015, 10:17 PM
Road cleats are way bigger compared to mountain so it distributes the force on your foot more evenly.

Basic physics says this clearly isn't true whatsoever, it all comes down to the stiffness of the shoe's sole. The cleat's contact area has nothing to do with what your foot is pressing on. Bottom line is most MTB shoes are made to walk in therefore the soles flex, but there are plenty of stiff soled MTB shoes that perform as well as any road shoe.

jtakeda
02-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Basic physics says this clearly isn't true whatsoever, it all comes down to the stiffness of the shoe's sole. The cleat's contact area has nothing to do with what your foot is pressing on. Bottom line is most MTB shoes are made to walk in therefore the soles flex, but there are plenty of stiff soled MTB shoes that perform as well as any road shoe.

I guess I should've checked my terminology although I have a feeling you knew what I meant to say. I meant to say pressure instead of force.

MTB cleats put more pressure on a certain area of your foot. Road cleats distribute the pressure more evenly. IMO road shoes are more comfortable, I get hot spots on my feet from riding mountain shoes for 5 hours without stopping.

Satellite
02-17-2015, 10:50 PM
I have been where you are now. I just did the opposite, I did use mountain pedals on my road bike, the one shoes does it all philosophy. Sidi mountain shoes were certainly stiff enough for road work. I switched back over to Road Pedals for the Road Bike. Like others have said, "Road Shoes/Pedals are more comfortable for extended rides where you don't get off the machine. Even if you mountain bike for 4 or 5 hours you still dismount frequently so it's NOT as big of an issue.

Use the correct tool for the right job.

Satellite

Satellite
02-17-2015, 11:10 PM
actually, my all-roads, gravel bike also has 7850 pedals on it, and has never been an issue.

summary: personally i wouldnt do it. road pedals for bikes with 700c wheels, mtb pedals for mtb's.

Angry,

I think you meant 7810 pedals, when I was looking to get back into a road setup, I decided on PD-7810's due to your inputs, and I wanted an all metal pedal, for my all metal bike.

I left your summary in the quote, because I think its a good one and should be shared again for OP.

Satellite

bobswire
02-17-2015, 11:12 PM
Then there are always these.....most things that give you a choice become subjective.

http://i60.tinypic.com/vqnmuh.jpg

Satellite
02-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Then there are always these.....most things that give you a choice become subjective.

http://i60.tinypic.com/vqnmuh.jpg
Bobswire,

Wow those are classics, just add sneakers.

Satellite

Cornfed
02-17-2015, 11:25 PM
...most things that give you a choice become subjective.

Truth

brockd15
02-17-2015, 11:46 PM
I did the 112 mile ride of an ironman in super cheapy road shoes and double-sided mtb SPD pedals back in the day before I knew any better. All my training rides, too, including brevets. I never had a problem and can't really tell much difference since putting SPD-SL pedals on my bikes. I know of some high-mileage randonneurs that also ride in mtb shoes.

I don't know what shoe would be best, but for the riding split you describe, with about 20% road and the rest dirt (in one form or another) I think consolidating is worth a try.

572cv
02-18-2015, 05:24 AM
I went with Sidi Dominators a number of years ago and haven't looked back. My pedal is Time ATAC. The shoes have custom inserts for my weird feet.

In this set up, I have comfortably ridden centuries, cols in the Alps, dirt, gravel, road, whatever. I am not racing anymore. My intent was to have, as you put it, one shoe for all my bikes with comfort, stiffness, power transfer and being able to walk around when I am being a tourist or a shopper or cafe patron. The Sidi's have been the best at that for me. It might be that your goals are different, but once you have them clearly ordered in your mind, you will find that someone has designed a set up to meet those needs.

Miller76
02-18-2015, 08:03 AM
I have been where you are now. I just did the opposite, I did use mountain pedals on my road bike, the one shoes does it all philosophy. Sidi mountain shoes were certainly stiff enough for road work. I switched back over to Road Pedals for the Road Bike. Like others have said, "Road Shoes/Pedals are more comfortable for extended rides where you don't get off the machine. Even if you mountain bike for 4 or 5 hours you still dismount frequently so it's NOT as big of an issue.

Use the correct tool for the right job.

Satellite

I think this comment hits the nail on the head. Use the correct tool for the job. Thanks again for the suggestions and comments. Now I just need to find a decent set of shoes that fit my wide feet. I currently have Giro SLX shoes but the strap at the top of the shoe hardly closes. I found a picture online to explain the issue.

Ideally I'd like my next shoes to have a ratchet and straps, or even better, the BOA lacing.

When riding on road, I only get off for a coffee etc if the rest of the group stops, other than that I am out and back without getting off the bike. I have also experienced the hot points on my feet when riding long distance with my off-road shoes. I think it's going to be spd-sl on my road and gravel bike, as well as the single speed winter bike. And regular spd's on the cyclocross and mountain bike.

druptight
02-18-2015, 08:19 AM
If you like Giro shoes, they make a HV model of most of their offerings.

At this point I'm using Giro road shoes with an EC70 carbon sole on my road bike, and Giro Code MTB shoes with an EC90 carbon sole and Shimano A-600 pedals for commuting and other off road-y stuff on my other bike. Fit feels the exact same in either shoe, I literally notice no difference. Both have insanely stiff soles. A600 offers plenty of interface with the shoe. Already bought a backup pair of the MTB shoes on big sale at the end of last season just waiting for the codes to die in a few years. At this point, when the road shoes eventually die, I'll probably just buy a set of A600 pedals for the road bike and use the MTB shoes for everything.

Claimed weight of A600 pair: 286 grams. Claimed weight of Dura Ace PD 9000 road pedals: 250 grams. Not a whole lot of difference there if weight is a concern.

http://cdn4.coresites.mpora.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/old_images/uploads/images/Medium/8880.jpg

harryschwartzma
02-18-2015, 08:22 AM
With the introduction of the SPD A600 pedal, this argument is a moot point. The pedal has a large (as large as Keo) platform, is within like 30 grams of a Dura Ace SPD SL pedal and is entirely made of metal. Combined with any stiff carbon sole mtn bike shoe and you give up nothing to a three bolt design.

The horses for courses argument when it comes to road shoes makes no sense The three bolt 'standard' is only because that's what Look had when they debuted clipless pedals in the eighties- before carbon soles. It's just a legacy system, not actually better.

commonguy001
02-18-2015, 08:51 AM
I've been looking for a new pedal system for my warbird and other non-road only bikes and those A600s look about perfect.
The cleats are the same as my XTs on my MTB so bingo - I think they look like a winner.

Just when you think you know everything there is to know about pedals you come across something on Paceline and it's as if the lights have been turned on. Good stuff.

Side note - really tired of the Egg Beater / Candy interface so this couldn't have come at a better time.

druptight
02-18-2015, 08:57 AM
I've been looking for a new pedal system for my warbird and other non-road only bikes and those A600s look about perfect.
The cleats are the same as my XTs on my MTB so bingo - I think they look like a winner.

Just when you think you know everything there is to know about pedals you come across something on Paceline and it's as if the lights have been turned on. Good stuff.

Side note - really tired of the Egg Beater / Candy interface so this couldn't have come at a better time.

When I was googling for the picture it looks like they're on sale out there for around $60 in some places. A year or two ago, they were hard to find for less than $90.

malcolm
02-18-2015, 09:10 AM
If you're not racing I think mtn pedals with a stiff soled shoe should work fine. I was using shimano pedals and mtn shoes for road and on the mtn bike. I've recently changed to platforms on the mtn bike and after a few rides to get accustomed I really like them. A typical mtn ride for me would be 3 hours or so without dismounting unless I crash, sometimes an hour or so longer and when I was using the shimano pedals I never had any hot spots or problems whatsoever. I've used them on the road 5 + hours with no problems.
I don't think I would like platforms on the road but I've had no issues with mtn set up on the road with stiff shoes. It's what I'll be using from here forward. I see guys on century rides wearing sandals with clips for mtn pedals and they seem to be doing ok.

rugbysecondrow
02-18-2015, 09:24 AM
I went with Sidi Dominators a number of years ago and haven't looked back.

My intent was to have, as you put it, one shoe for all my bikes with comfort, stiffness, power transfer and being able to walk around when I am being a tourist or a shopper or cafe patron. The Sidi's have been the best at that for me. It might be that your goals are different, but once you have them clearly ordered in your mind, you will find that someone has designed a set up to meet those needs.

I use the Sidi Dominators as my one shoe, with Crank Brothers pedals. Eggbeaters for my MTB, platform (Candy) for my road.

The only pair of shoes I have are my Keen Sandals for summertime...I love those shoes.

LesMiner
02-18-2015, 11:04 AM
I think if you look at these two Sidi shoes; one road the other mountain, you'd be hard pressed to say one would be more comfortable than the other.

Now maybe the pedal/shoe interface can make a comfort difference. That's why I switched from SPD to Frogs many years ago.

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=1&id=58&lng_riv=
http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=1&id=67&lng_riv=

A more expensive choice from Sidi is the MTB SPIDER (http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=1&id=28&lng_riv=). The cleats attached to the sole are easily replaceable and can be trimmed a bit to accommodate Speedplay Frog cleats. Its a good one shoe choice because if you walk around a lot the replaceable sole cleats can extend the useful life of the shoe. There are other Sidi choices with the SRS sole.

IJWS
02-18-2015, 12:05 PM
I upgraded my Sidi genius's from 2001 to some Fizik R3's that I thought just looked amazing. The Fizik's ended up murdering my feet and although they look cool, I feel like an idiot. This past Christmas when I was at my parents house i dug my old dominators out of my MTB storage (where I live right now has no MTB riding without a driving), they fit like a glove--a glove! The Spider MTB's would be a nice investment given the abundance of replacement pieces and the potential for Sidi's to last 10+years.

So, not to say that everyone should be on Sidi's, but I would definitely take a long time trying on shoes--from a shop with a generous exchange policy--before you settle on anything that looks cool. Skip the laces and opt for a BOA or the traditional straps and buckle setup.

If you're using SPD's most of the time, buy SPD-specific shoes first, but I would agree with others, part of the fun of the road bike is the efficiency of a focused machine. I'd never give up the larger platform of a road pedal on my road bike.

Dead Man
02-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Not reading the whole thread, and coming in late....

If you're not going for Strava time or racing, it's completely irrelevant what you ride on the road bike, so long as it's gonna get you the ride quality you want. When I was commuting, I did Crank Bros 100% of the time with heavy walkable plastic soled shoes. Comfortable for all day wear (not a ton of walking), fairly normal looking in business casual attire.. I still nabbed KOMs all the time, so it might still be irrelevant, if you're not racing/training to race.

Being able to walk around.. to use all of your bikes as vehicles, if you're into that... is pretty cool. If this is you, then you should definitely go to a MTB/walkable setup. Why wouldn't you?