PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Vector - buyers remorse?

justinrchan
02-17-2015, 05:46 PM
Looking at picking up the Vectors, maybe the Vector S. Love the price point compared to other options in the market. Anyone have Vectors wish they bought something else? Or any Vector S owners wish they opted for the Vector?

Spdntrxi
02-17-2015, 05:48 PM
I have vectors and stages ..sold powertap to get vectors.. Powertap was brainless which is good.. Some small hiccups with vectors but ironed out quickly... Very happy

dem
02-17-2015, 06:57 PM
I have all 3 on 3 different bikes: Stages (MTB XT), VectorS (commuter/tourer) and Powertap G3 (roadie.)

They all work fine so far. The only thing I really noticed is the VectorS will read down to lower power outputs than the others. I also like that I can easily take the VectorS with me when I get a rental bike some where.

Michael Maddox
02-17-2015, 07:32 PM
I have two pair of the double-sensor pedals. They integrate well with my Kickr and seem far more reliable than my SRMs or Powertaps ever were. Plus, they're easy to swap between bikes if I desire. One of the best cycling purchases I've ever made, period.

maxn
02-18-2015, 04:36 AM
I'm pretty happy with my double sensor Vectors as well

firerescuefin
02-18-2015, 05:15 AM
I have two pair of the double-sensor pedals. They integrate well with my Kickr and seem far more reliable than my SRMs or Powertaps ever were. Plus, they're easy to swap between bikes if I desire. One of the best cycling purchases I've ever made, period.

You had reliability problems with your SRMs? I've had 3 units...all were bulletproof, and frankly haven't heard many complaints about SRM reliability. I was aware of Powertap problems, but not so much with the SRM units. Can you expound.

How many miles do you have on 2 pairs of pedals?

laupsi
02-18-2015, 08:09 AM
Have PT, SRM, Vector Pedals. All work very well, do love my Vectors. Swap easily, reliable, easy to switch batteries, enable balance readings, an awesome pedal platform.

Michael Maddox
02-18-2015, 08:23 AM
I had wired SRMs. They were a pain in the butt because the wiring was all exposed and so fragile. I had battery life issues as well, and sending a unit back to SRM was a pain, too. The company was great, but it seemed like every time I turned around, there was some sort of maintenance issue cropping up.

Comparatively, the Vector pedals just WORK. You put them on, they connect, and you're off.

You could chalk this up to me being an early adopter. My SRMs and Powertaps were from 2006-2008, so they weren't the latest and greatest.

I've just grown to enjoy a more Mac-like experience from hardware, having grown weary of tinkering and futzing about with something to make it work.

dan682
02-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Does everyone think it's worth the extra money to get the double sensor model instead of the S ?

LesMiner
02-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Does everyone think it's worth the extra money to get the double sensor model instead of the S ?

Depends on what you want. If you are looking for something to do serious training go with the double. If accuracy is important then again the double. The single is limited since only one leg is measured. So total output between both legs is a calculation, an estimate of the total output. The SRM and Power Tap would be the sum of both legs.

justinrchan
02-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Decided to go with the S to save some $$. Want to start training with power and can always get the other power pedal down the road. I have the Wahoo Kickr for indoor training and love having the power readings. Want to have something while on the road as well. Thanks for the input all!

ceolwulf
02-18-2015, 07:16 PM
Do the Vectors need to be re-calibrated pretty regularly? Friend of mine that has PowerTap was saying this was one advantage of said PowerTap, no user calibration ever needed.

Russian bear
02-19-2015, 01:07 AM
Vector S owner here. You're suppose to do a static calibration before every ride, to get within 2% accuracy. Takes 5 seconds. You need to reset the sensor angles every time you take the pedals off the crank, but that's also easy, just spin up to 80+ rpm.

Andrevich4
02-19-2015, 01:31 AM
I love em. Have had the dual sided for over a year now. Easy to use.

If you haven't already, read dcrainmaker' review for installation.
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/garmin-vector-review.html

You will need the crowfoot adapter and a right-sized torque wrench.

This is the crowfoot adapter to get:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D05CCKS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00D05CCKS&linkCode=as2&tag=dcr07-20

I tried a few options on the torque wrench and finally got one from Sears (which now that I look at it dcrainmaker also recommends...). The little one you (should) use on the rest of your bike probably won't go high enough for the 25 ft-lbs.

Andrevich4
02-19-2015, 01:32 AM
And yes, calibrate each time. It takes a couple of seconds and all you do is hit an option on your computer head.

justinrchan
02-19-2015, 07:33 AM
I am coming over from Shimano SPD-SLs. How hard of a transition is it to the Look type?

Michael Maddox
02-19-2015, 08:36 AM
I am coming over from Shimano SPD-SLs. How hard of a transition is it to the Look type?

I still have a mix, myself. I just keep two pairs of shoes. There's little to no transition issues that I have noticed. I think they're remarkably similar in feel.

lucasfarr92
02-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Bike shop I go to doesn't really love the vectors. If you want the power meter off of the wheel or crank, I don't see any reason to not go with Stages. They score great.

Russian bear
02-21-2015, 08:25 PM
Bike shop I go to doesn't really love the vectors. If you want the power meter off of the wheel or crank, I don't see any reason to not go with Stages. They score great.

Any particular reason?

Andrevich4
02-22-2015, 02:26 AM

I went to vectors from Speedplays which I thought might be a problem. It wasn't. You may have to adjust your seat slightly based on having a slightly different foot placement. Also pay attention to any kinds of pain or twinges that might indicate you need to adjust the pedals fore/aft, side to side, etc.

Glad I made the switch. The only thing to remember is to USE A TORQUE WRENCH, update the software when you install them or if you have to replace a part, and if at any time they don't calibrate just disconnect them, wait 10 seconds, and reconnect. This is probably the source of frustration for most but only happens if you haven't ridden in awhile, at least in my experience.

10-4
02-22-2015, 08:46 AM
I've run SRM, Powertap, Quarq, Vector, and now Stages. I thought the pods were really ugly, TBQH. I thought I'd get used to that thing hanging down, I didn't. Never any issues with them other than visual, but at this kind of money, looks matter.

I now have Stages on all of my bikes. Most affordable, dead reliable, and everything looks more or less stock from Shimano's factory, no pods hanging off my bike.

Also with Stages I can move it from road to CX bike in a matter of 2-3 minutes and run it off road as well, which I did a lot until I bought another Stages to stay on the CX bike. Being able to change from road to mountain pedals was the final factor for me.