PDA

View Full Version : Campy Bora 50 vs 35

feta99
02-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Hello all,

I'm looking at getting a set of Bora 50 or 35s and was wondering if anyone can recommend one over the other? I believe the weight of the two wheels are similar so ignoring cross wind effects, do they feel different?

Cheers,
A

dan682
02-17-2015, 04:00 PM
I just bought the Bora 50s - it's my first set of carbon wheels and my first set of tubulars, so I can't give you a comparison. But I chose them because the weight difference is basically negligible at around 40 grams, but I figured hopefully the extra depth provides more aero benefits.

christian
02-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Not much weight difference. Bora 35s have external nipples which simplifies maintenance. A lot of people race about the feel of Hyperons. If Bora 35s get close to that feel, it's a tough choice. I think either are yummmmm!

velomonkey
02-17-2015, 05:38 PM
If you're kind of small - go with the 35.

If you do a lot of climbing - real climbs, not hills - go with the 35.

If you're kind of big - go with the 50mm.

If you do a ton of crits or the rides you want only have hills - go with the 50mm.

Basically rule of thumb on all aero wheels. Anyway, you can't really go wrong with either. I got the 50mm and I'm a big guy and plenty happy with them.

Great wheel.

scrubadub
02-17-2015, 08:15 PM
I just got a set of the 2015 Bora 35s, haven't had a chance to take them out yet. I went with these because it's pretty hilly where we live and I hate getting blown around on long exposed descents.

teleguy57
02-17-2015, 08:28 PM
FWIW, I have a set of Bontrager D3 3s which have the 35mm profile. I like them a lot. I rarely find myself thinking I'd like a deeper profile wheel.

ultraman6970
02-17-2015, 11:10 PM
The difference is exactly....

15 :p

lhuerta
02-18-2015, 01:00 AM
The 2015 Bora wheels are quite different then their predecessors. Both the 50 and 35 have new hubs (compared to 2014), the ONE 35 and the ONE 50 now have USB bearings (ULTRA models carry over the CULT bearings), both models now have external nipples, both models have adapted the new brake track introduced on the 2014 35 models, and Campagnolo has finally adopted a wider rim profile, 24.2mm compared to previous 20mm width (not quite the U-shape of Zipp, Enve and others, but wider then the previous models).

You are not going to get blown around on the 50s if that is what you are worried about, unless you find your self riding sideways inside a wind tunnel on your daily rides. I have ridden 45 -60 mm rims in high cross winds and have never had a problem controlling the bike...takes a bit more alertness, but manageable (albeit not all aero rims behave the same in cross winds).

I just took delivery of a Bora One 35 set and they weigh a scant 1185 grams (-30 grams compared to the listed 1215 grams). I wish I can provide a ride report, but there is just too much damn snow and ice at the moment....report coming soon.

Lou

oldpotatoe
02-18-2015, 06:02 AM
The 2015 Bora wheels are quite different then their predecessors. Both the 50 and 35 have new hubs (compared to 2014), the ONE 35 and the ONE 50 now have USB bearings (ULTRA models carry over the CULT bearings), both models now have external nipples, both models have adapted the new brake track introduced on the 2014 35 models, and Campagnolo has finally adopted a wider rim profile, 24.2mm compared to previous 20mm width (not quite the U-shape of Zipp, Enve and others, but wider then the previous models).

You are not going to get blown around on the 50s if that is what you are worried about, unless you find your self riding sideways inside a wind tunnel on your daily rides. I have ridden 45 -60 mm rims in high cross winds and have never had a problem controlling the bike...takes a bit more alertness, but manageable (albeit not all aero rims behave the same in cross winds).

I just took delivery of a Bora One 35 set and they weigh a scant 1185 grams (-30 grams compared to the listed 1215 grams). I wish I can provide a ride report, but there is just too much damn snow and ice at the moment....report coming soon.

Lou

Best news. Nothing worse than ruining a $100 tubie tire just cuz ya gotta true the wheel.

Lionel
02-18-2015, 08:07 AM
35 feel closer to the hyperon that to the 50. If you do a lot of climbing it is a better choice.

dan682
02-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Did my first ride yesterday afternoon on the new Bora 50s - 35 miles with lots of curves and short steep hills. I've never ridden a carbon or a tubular wheelset before, so I'm only comparing them to my aluminum clinchers - SL23 rims with GP4000 tires.
I'm using 25mm Corsa Elite tires, 1oz of orange seal in each tire, 90R/85F psi, 145lb rider - big thanks to OldPotatoe for tire recommendations and answering gluing questions!
3 main things that I noticed -

Extremely stiff for out of the saddle efforts - standing up and mashing feels like the bike immediately rockets forward, compared with the little bit of mushy feel riding the clinchers. Plus that great whoosh-whoosh sound!

Smooth, fast turn-in when entering a corner, but not twitchy. This was an awesome feeling - cornering felt much more confident and the bike just felt better planted on the road.

Easier to hold high speeds - felt like less effort to keep up a 22-25mph speed on the flats. Of course, no truly objective measurement... but they sure feel fast!

feta99
02-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like everyone loves the Hyperon. What makes the Hyperons so great compared to 35s?

It is making me consider getting a set of 50s and Hyperons!

CPP
02-18-2015, 12:00 PM
For me, the Bora spoke pattern turns me off visually. I prefer the more classic pattern of the Hyperon. Also, I prefer a lower profile.

Lionel
02-18-2015, 02:11 PM
50 and Hyperon covers all the needs. If you can have only one pair the 35 is a good compromise