PDA

View Full Version : Wheelset

bikenut
02-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Building my own clincher wheelset. Help me choose parts to go with King R45 hubs. Budget approx. $800-$1000. I weigh 190lbs. Lite and reliable within reason.

Gaucho410
02-17-2015, 10:02 AM
How many wheels have you already built?

AngryScientist
02-17-2015, 10:07 AM
do you have the hubs already? how many holes.

if the budget is $800 - 1000, how much did you spend on the hubs: how much is left for everything else?

oldpotatoe
02-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Building my own clincher wheelset. Help me choose parts to go with King R45 hubs. Budget approx. $800-$1000. I weigh 190lbs. Lite and reliable within reason.

Depends on what you want it to do but manufacturers I really like-

DT
Pacenti
Ambrosio
H+Son

Various models, DT or Sapim spokes.

bikenut
02-17-2015, 11:38 AM
How many wheels have you already built?

One

classtimesailer
02-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Silver hubs look nice with silver rims. Rode with a guy last week that had polished Aeroheads that looked real nice.

bikenut
02-17-2015, 11:40 AM
do you have the hubs already? how many holes.

if the budget is $800 - 1000, how much did you spend on the hubs: how much is left for everything else?

Did not buy the hubs yet. Was thinking 28 hole but open to suggestions. I was considering DT240 hubs as an alternative.

dolface
02-17-2015, 11:47 AM
Mavic Open Pro is a great, solid rim: http://www.mavic.com/rims-road-triathlon-open-pro

dekindy
02-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Custom Pacenti Front Wheel
The Pacenti SL23 features an exceptional strength-to-weight ratio for road and cyclocross use. Designed for the modern cyclist, it offers a light (450g), wide (24mm) and aerodynamic rim profile that is tubeless-friendly compatible. Create your custom Pacenti front wheel by selecting components that best fit your riding and budget requirements.

Specs: The 26.2mm deep, 24mm wide SL23 rim weighs 450g.

Selected options:

Rim type: SL23 Clincher
Rim color: Black (MSW)
Spoke count: 28
Spoke color: Black
Spoke type: DT Competition
Nipples: Black Brass
Hub: White Industries T11, Black or Silver
Hub color: Black
Ceramic upgrade: None
Skewer(s): None
Rush build service: Standard Turnaround: 2 Weeks
Special instructions:

$314.99 x = $314.99
Delete item Update quantity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom Pacenti Rear Wheel
The Pacenti SL23 features an exceptional strength-to-weight ratio for road and cyclocross use. Designed for the modern cyclist, it offers a light (450g), wide (24mm) and aerodynamic rim profile that is tubeless-friendly compatible. Create your custom Pacenti rear wheel by selecting components that best fit your riding and budget requirements.

Specs: The 26.2mm deep, 24mm wide SL23 rim weighs 450g.

Selected options:

Rim type: SL23 Clincher
Rim color: Black (MSW)
Spoke count: 32
Spoke color: Black
Spoke type: DT Competition
Nipples: Black Brass
Hub: White Industries T11, Black or Silver
Hub color: Black
Drivetrain type: Shimano/SRAM
Ceramic upgrade: None
Skewer(s): None
Rush build service: Standard Turnaround: 2 Weeks
Special instructions:
$464.99

$780 rim, spokes, hub. +$335 for Chris King! Really? Yes, really!

$635 if used DT350 hubs instead of WI.

Wheelbuilder.com

commonguy001
02-17-2015, 12:12 PM
BikeHubStore has some decent packages for DIY wheel builders although they don't have King or DT Swiss hubs.

They do have White Ind T11 packages with Pacenti SL23 rims that would come in under budget and includes CX-Ray spokes

joosttx
02-17-2015, 12:30 PM
I was considering DT240 hubs as an alternative.

DT240 are a better hub than CK's. CK are pretty though.

Hermes_Alex
02-17-2015, 01:10 PM
One

If you've only done one wheel and this is a DIY thing, I'd definitely recommend going to a high spoke count, 32h or so. More spokes mean more room for error in the build - coming right out of the gate with a 20/24 set would make life much more difficult.

thegunner
02-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Mavic Open Pro is a great, solid rim: http://www.mavic.com/rims-road-triathlon-open-pro

with the various rim offerings out now (SL23's, archetypes, kinlin 279s, belgiums), i think going with an OP is actually 100% a wrong answer.

Hermes_Alex
02-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Yeah, there are lots of better options than the open pro. The Hed Belgium will probably present the least challenge to build of any of the modern offerings, however it's also the most expensive.

Tony T
02-17-2015, 02:34 PM
H plus Sons Archetype (http://shop.hplusson.com/product/archetype) are popular rims.

cmg
02-17-2015, 05:30 PM
if your going to build set# 2 the experiment should be done at a low cost, get a package from the bikehubstore. they have a set using the kilin 279 rim and the others mentioned. give it a look.

oldpotatoe
02-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Did not buy the hubs yet. Was thinking 28 hole but open to suggestions. I was considering DT240 hubs as an alternative.

Do at least 32h rear at 190 lbs, imho. And there are 5, 6 better choices out there than open pro. CXP-33 I would consider but not OPro.

H+Son Archetype would be a good first wheel choice also. As good as HED but a bunch cheaper.

carpediemracing
02-17-2015, 07:28 PM
I'd ask how "heavy" the OP is on wheels. It's a term I saw used in a different thread in this forum and it's a great term.

When I was 190-210 lbs I was riding Eurus with 23c tires with no problems. I even double flatted them (yes they had good tire pressure) at about 45 mph, miscalculated where I thought the potholes were while drafting a truck. Rode them back to the car. Replaced the tubes (tires okay, wheels were fine) and kept using them. The wheels are still in use, under a friend's bike.

At 195-ish max I was on 16/20H Reynolds. I even broke a spoke in a front and in a rear. In those two rides I finished the race (front spoke popped, placed in sprint) and did a 2.5 hour training ride (rear spoke popped as we rolled out of the parking lot) with no problems.

At 185 max I've been on the 18/24H HED Bastognes and Jets. 23c. No problems.

I think modern heavy rims (500g and the like) are strong enough that the spokes are there mainly to place the hub, less so for wheel strength. It's not like 20 or 30 years ago where a rim would fold if you sat on an unlaced one.

If you're 190, it's an honest 190, and you're not hard on your equipment (no pinch flats except in extreme situations for example, or you don't need to true a wheel more than once every couple years), then really anything will work.

Personally I wouldn't go lower than a 20H front because there isn't much out there for 18H, and I'd do 24H rear because that's a reasonable balance between spoke count and whatever (ease of building, less weight, aero, etc).

bikenut
02-18-2015, 08:21 AM
I'd ask how "heavy" the OP is on wheels. It's a term I saw used in a different thread in this forum and it's a great term.

When I was 190-210 lbs I was riding Eurus with 23c tires with no problems. I even double flatted them (yes they had good tire pressure) at about 45 mph, miscalculated where I thought the potholes were while drafting a truck. Rode them back to the car. Replaced the tubes (tires okay, wheels were fine) and kept using them. The wheels are still in use, under a friend's bike.

At 195-ish max I was on 16/20H Reynolds. I even broke a spoke in a front and in a rear. In those two rides I finished the race (front spoke popped, placed in sprint) and did a 2.5 hour training ride (rear spoke popped as we rolled out of the parking lot) with no problems.

At 185 max I've been on the 18/24H HED Bastognes and Jets. 23c. No problems.

I think modern heavy rims (500g and the like) are strong enough that the spokes are there mainly to place the hub, less so for wheel strength. It's not like 20 or 30 years ago where a rim would fold if you sat on an unlaced one.

If you're 190, it's an honest 190, and you're not hard on your equipment (no pinch flats except in extreme situations for example, or you don't need to true a wheel more than once every couple years), then really anything will work.

Personally I wouldn't go lower than a 20H front because there isn't much out there for 18H, and I'd do 24H rear because that's a reasonable balance between spoke count and whatever (ease of building, less weight, aero, etc).

I have been riding ksryium elites at 210lbs, soon to be in the 180lb area, without a hicup. I think 32 count is overkill. I understand some advise to do an easier build but I will have these for a while and would like to get what I really want. I will take my time and build carefully using written instruction as I did in the past.

oldpotatoe
02-18-2015, 08:28 AM
I have been riding ksryium elites at 210lbs, soon to be in the 180lb area, without a hicup. I think 32 count is overkill. I understand some advise to do an easier build but I will have these for a while and would like to get what I really want. I will take my time and build carefully using written instruction as I did in the past.

I'll bite. 4 spokes weigh 28 grams. With a heavier rim, 28 or even 24 spokes will be fine but light rim, too few spokes and often thin spokes, 3 strikes.

Low spoke count wheels often reduce spokes by 56 grams(24 vs 32 spokes), but add 100 grams to the rim to get some sort of reliability.

But yall can build whatever ya wish, of course but a smart guy once said, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Hermes_Alex
02-18-2015, 08:35 AM
If you want to go light, have someone knowledgeable build them for you. You can get away with a lower spoke count, but unless you really know what you're doing, the wheels will be falling out of true and breaking spokes regularly.

fiamme red
02-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Mavic Open Pro is a great, solid rim: http://www.mavic.com/rims-road-triathlon-open-proI agree. I've had three wheelsets built up in the last few years with Open Pros, and they've served me very well.

cmg
02-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Low spoke count wheels often reduce spokes by 56 grams(24 vs 32 spokes), but add 100 grams to the rims to get some sort of reliability.

but the lower count spoke wheels will look cooler.

oldpotatoe
02-18-2015, 08:44 AM
I agree. I've had three wheelsets built up in the last few years with Open Pros, and they've served me very well.

Open Pro can be a fine wheel, except the noisy wedge and eyelets. Mavic has known this to be an issue since Open Pros were new, over a decade, but they refuse to fix it. My beef with OP. A very similar rim, DT 465, had none of these issues.

Hermes_Alex
02-18-2015, 08:49 AM
The Open Pro is a decent rim if the only thing you ask of a wheel that it doesn't break. There's nothing actively appealing about them, aside from their durability, versus any random OEM wheelset. They'll be narrow, heavy, with no consideration given to aerodynamics or anything that actually improves the way your bike rides.

fiamme red
02-18-2015, 08:56 AM
The Open Pro is a decent rim if the only thing you ask of a wheel that it doesn't break. There's nothing actively appealing about them, aside from their durability, versus any random OEM wheelset. They'll be narrow, heavy, with no consideration given to aerodynamics or anything that actually improves the way your bike rides.H Plus Son TB-14: 488g
Ambrosio Excellence: 460g
DT Swiss RR460: 460g
Mavic Open Pro: 442g

Having ridden both wide and narrow road rims, I'm not sold on the advertised advantages of the former.

I don't know what you mean by "no consideration given to aerodynamics or anything that actually improves the way your bike rides" -- they're just traditional box section rims, what exactly do you want from them?

oldpotatoe
02-18-2015, 09:09 AM
but the lower count spoke wheels will look cooler.

Bing bing bing....coffee shop points..

oldpotatoe
02-18-2015, 09:13 AM
The Open Pro is a decent rim if the only thing you ask of a wheel that it doesn't break. There's nothing actively appealing about them, aside from their durability, versus any random OEM wheelset. They'll be narrow, heavy, with no consideration given to aerodynamics or anything that actually improves the way your bike rides.

Open Pro really isn't very heavy and it, like other box section, aluminum rims, works well. Unless the rim/wheel is carbon tubular, which saves only about a pound(on many 200 pound+ bike/rider 'packages'), it does what it's supposed to do well.

Plus the wide rim gig is kinda overplayed, imho. Get a 25c cotton clincher and use less psi, with similar results.

bikenut
02-18-2015, 11:03 AM
I respect all your opinions and am not locked into any ideas. I will def consider 32 if that seems like the way to go. I am in the research stages.

DRZRM
02-18-2015, 01:09 PM
I'm a bit heavier than you (220) and I've built a handful of my own wheels now. Personally I build 32 hole, but at your weight, I'd feel comfortable on 28s for sure, and maybe lower. I've ridden 28s built by real builders, and lower factory wheels with few difficulties and rarely have to true. I've been very happy with the Pacenti SL23 rims and the HED Belgiums C2. Both came very round and were easy to build, and the Pacentis were easy to mount tubeless (Schwalbe One) with just a floor pump. As Pacenti is a participant and sponsor here, seems like a no brainer.