PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get Garmin 500/510

aramis
02-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Well I had my garmin 510 in my back pocket and I guess the pockets suck in the jersey I was using and the computer flew out while decending and was promptly run over by a car. :(

Anyway I would like to buy a replacement and was figuring the 500 would do the job fine (the only thing I think I'd miss is the Bluetooth sync). Not sure if the 500 can do multiple power meters though.

Anyway anyone know of the best place to get a 500 or 510 online? Is used even worth it? Is there any Garmin replacement policy? I'll post pics of the unit that was destroyed- it isn't pretty.

rnhood
02-16-2015, 05:57 PM
You should call Garmin as they may offer you a replacement at reduced cost if you send your unit in. Its worth checking on. Otherwise, just search the net. Amazon and ebay both should have the unit for sale at respectable prices. Some dealers offer a deal on them from time to time. I would stick with the 510 as the screen is larger and easier to read.

bewheels
02-16-2015, 06:36 PM
I recently picked up a 510. Spent plenty of time looking for a deal. Garmin must for good job policing their product prices or there is very little mark up on them because finding a new one under full retail is basically impossible.

I would definitely call Garmin a shed a couple of tears and see it that scores a better deal.

shovelhd
02-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Nashbar has the 500 in grey or blue for $143 today with free shipping.

eddief
02-16-2015, 06:51 PM
I have ever seen.

aramis
02-16-2015, 07:26 PM

Thanks I'm going to order when I get home.

Also I checked they have a 79 repair price on garmins web site, I'll see if they'll take mine even though it's pretty trashed.

Web1111a
02-16-2015, 08:25 PM
They will take it

kramnnim
02-16-2015, 08:38 PM
The 500's menu system is horrible, especially if you're used to something better.

02-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Garmin will give you a heavily discounted price for a replacement unit. I believe I paid something like $39 for a complete new head. I had to give them the serial number off the original, but they understand that if one stops buying Garmin one doesn't necessarily come back, so their customer support people are really good about bending the rules. Mine broke the tab on the back when I hit it with my fist as I hit a big bump while adjusting settings, it fell to the road and was crunched. I just had a little of the back plate and if I hadn't, they would have probably taken some little part of it just to keep me honest. If you have the warranty card or box or anything with the serial number, that will probably work too. I'll keep buying Garmin with that kind of service.

02-16-2015, 09:59 PM
The 500's menu system is horrible, especially if you're used to something better.

And yes, buy the 510. The 500 is popular but when you have GLOSNASS and a better menu and a lot of little features that add up to a lot, it's worth it.

aramis
02-16-2015, 10:17 PM
http://imgur.com/xjje6Xtl.jpg

Ill call them tomorrow.

Honestly all I do is have a readout for time/power/cadence/speed and use it for Strava. Don't do any mapping. Don't do rides over say 4 hours or do the live track thing. Although being able to set up different profiles for trainer/road bike/track bike was nice.

I bought it from nashbar new and have all the original paperwork/packaging.

eddief
02-16-2015, 10:28 PM
for some good price, then they are some good company...at least in that regard.

02-17-2015, 01:27 AM
Ill call them tomorrow.

Honestly all I do is have a readout for time/power/cadence/speed and use it for Strava. Don't do any mapping. Don't do rides over say 4 hours or do the live track thing. Although being able to set up different profiles for trainer/road bike/track bike was nice.

I bought it from nashbar new and have all the original paperwork/packaging.

It isn't the mapping that makes the 510 better, though that function is improved a lot as well. You get a better screen, much better touch capacitance, and the programming of the screens is different and much more versatile. With a 500 I always had to use two screens and never had the one up in a sprint that I wanted. With the 510 you can customize better and get more data on one screen. I also want to say that the tabs for the mounting assembly are stronger on the 510, though the 500 might have been improved -- the 500 had a bit of a reputation for spontaneously breaking mounting tabs off, and the 510 required you pound it before that happened.

aramis
02-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Well I just got off the phone and they are sending me a refurb for $79. They are sending it tomorrow and crediting a deposit after they get my old one back which should get it here a week earlier which is cool.

The customer service seems pretty good! Thanks Garmin.