PDA

View Full Version : question for the frame builders- HELP!

bshell
04-07-2006, 03:16 AM
I just received a custom mountain frame that has something (slag, weld wire?) significant rattling around in the seatstay bridge as far as I can tell. No amount of shaking/turning etc. has gotten it out.

The shop agreed that it needed to be returned but nobody has told me what I'll be getting back. I thought e-richie, Mr. Kirk, Mr. Pacenti and anyone I missed might be able to calm my nerves/tell me what I should request.

Ideally, my cu$tom frame would not be going in for surgery but I don't know if I can expect a new frame from the ground up. Can I? Should they replace the bridge? Should they drill a hole in the bridge to remove the chunk and then fill said hole and refinish?

Would these remedies compromise anything? I'll always wonder unless I get some opinions from people without a financial interest in the resolution. My financial interest in this frame is significant.

Thanks in advance!
p.s. filling the frame with expanding foam, while funny, is not going to happen.

NAHBS
04-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Sounds like flux to me...
Send it back for the builder to fix, or....

When flux becomes heated it goes into a more liquidous state. If there was a lot of flux on the brake bridge, its possible that some had seeped into the brake bridge when it was being heated and when it cooled, it went back into a solid state and with nothing to cling to, it broke off and probably sounds like a small rock tumbling back and forth.
I have dealt with this problem in 2 of my frames and several other makers frames. Either try flushing the tube with hot water (if you have a vent hole) several times until the rattling goes away, or drill the vent hole a little larger and see if you can have the price (s) drop out.

Oh yeah, if it was tig welded, disregard above idea. not sure if slag in that large of a scale happens on tig welding.

Either way, treat with Frame Saver when done.

DW

David Kirk
04-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Is the bridge welded or brazed?

Paint or powder coat?

Dave

bshell
04-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi Guys,

Sorry, it was late at night when I posted that question and I forgot to include that this is a titanium frame without a paint job.

It is set up for disc brakes only so there is no visible vent hole in the bridge. I'm assuming that there are vent holes at both ends of the bridge facing the seat stays. There are definitely vent holes inside the seat tube where the stays attach but they are fairly small (<1/4" I think).

Fishing anything out seems super unlikely as you would have to go down the seat tube....then rearward into the stays....then 90 degrees into the bridge.

Thanks!

christian
04-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Weird. It ain't gonna be flux on a Ti frame!

- Christian

David Kirk
04-07-2006, 09:52 AM
If I understand your situation correctly your bridge will need to be cut out. It sounds like a chunk of weld rod is in there and the chance of getting it out through a drilled hole seems pretty small.

If it came to me I'd drill a hole first and see if I get lucky. If I don't I'd replace the bridge.

In a perfect world this wouldn't happen but the repair can be done without any ill effects.

Dave

e-RICHIE
04-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Is the bridge welded or brazed?

Paint or powder coat?

Dave

dave-issimo
do you think it's what i think it is atmo?

Grant McLean
04-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Any chance of injecting a small amount of some glue in there?

-g

David Kirk
04-07-2006, 10:55 AM
dave-issimo
do you think it's what i think it is atmo?

Could be.....could be. He doesn't seem like someone who'd tee off a builder.

Dave

Argos
04-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Are you two alludeing that someone may have "Hot-Dog"ed* his frame? :D

*Hot-Dogging a frame: Remove Seatpost, drop frozen hot-dog, wait 6 to 18 months.

e-RICHIE
04-07-2006, 11:04 AM

*Hot-Dogging a frame: Remove Seatpost, drop frozen hot-dog, wait 6 to 18 months.

Auto Reply Starts Below
Richard Sachs will be away for the rest of this thread atmo

Grant McLean
04-07-2006, 11:06 AM

we use pizza crust...

g

Argos
04-07-2006, 11:07 AM
e-R,

C'mon, you have a sense of humor.

bshell
04-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Just so you know, my contact was only with the shop I ordered from. I never spoke with the builder and would add that the 4-6 week estimate for arrival turned out to be 3 1/2 months. I didn't make a peep. It's been a super wet winter after all and the trails need to dry out.

I've been pretty mellow, I think. I just want it to be right for 3K.

Plus, intentionally goofing up my frame would only hurt them as they have to correct it. I'm confident that this was just a mistake and really just inquired to know how it should be fixed.

David Kirk
04-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Just so you know, my contact was only with the shop I ordered from. I never spoke with the builder and would add that the 4-6 week estimate for arrival turned out to be 3 1/2 months. I didn't make a peep. It's been a super wet winter after all and the trails need to dry out.

I've been pretty mellow, I think. I just want it to be right for 3K.

Plus, intentionally goofing up my frame would only hurt them as they have to correct it. I'm confident that this was just a mistake and really just inquired to know how it should be fixed.

Hey Bman,

I'm confident that it was a simple mistake too. It happens all too often but they usually don't make it out of the shop. I'd call the builder and plead your case that you have already waited too long but you want it to be right. I'd be very surprised if they don't take care of it ASAP.

Dave

bshell
04-07-2006, 12:09 PM
I'll do that Dave.
Thanks to all for the info.