PDA

View Full Version : Dairyland Dare 2015

rs1115
02-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Hello -

I am riding this event (200 km option) for the first time this year. I have heard great things about the event and the scenery. Any advice for a newbie to this event?

- Suggestions of where to stay night before?
- Training for the hills when living in flatlands?
- What to expect on the course?

Anyone else here riding this year? I read the past posts on the event and it sounds fantastic.

Thanks much in advance.

Reid

dekindy
02-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Have not ridden but a couple of riding buddies have. Need lots of hill training and low gears or don't even try it.

thwart
02-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Have done it every year, this year is the 10th anniversary. It's in my back yard. Unfortunately no longer chip-timed due to rural SW Wis folks complaining about bike racers and bad behavior on the road. That said, I've heard many folks say the Dare is the best organized and supported ride they've done.

Nice mix of short steep hills and longer climbs (although nothing longer than a mile or so). And yes, the scenery is beautiful. I just about stopped for a photo last year on a particularly spectacular overlook.

Dodgeville is about 45 min from Madison's west side, so you have many options for lodging. May be useful to know that some Madison hotels offer 'Ironman' discounts, as many come here from the Twin Cities and Chicago to train almost weekly for the Madison Ironman, held the weekend after Labor Day (so a month after the DD).

Lots of flatlanders (local term of endearment for residents of IL ;)) do the DD. Many come up for a training weekend or two. Failing that, I've heard of folks doing highway overpass repeats, but sprinting intervals should work as well.

oliver1850
02-15-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm about 2 hours from Chicago. I can give you a route near me with numerous short steep climbs. Decent roads, low traffic.

Tandem Rider
02-16-2015, 04:54 AM
I've done it several times, last couple were with Mrs TR on a tandem. The hills are pretty short, but a few of them are fairly steep.

Since the "long" climbs are about a mile, at 6mph that makes the climb 10minutes long, just do 10 minute intervals into the wind at low rpm/highest gear, alternate standing and sitting. Do a day trip to some long hills once or twice to work on technique, you'll be ok.

I haven't been able to make the schedule work for the last 5 years or so, it's a great ride. Enjoy!

Matthew
02-16-2015, 08:27 AM
Sounds like a ride in Michigan called the Mountain Mayhem. 200km route on down to a 50 miler. Lots of short, steep climbs in this one as well. Think a few run near 20% gradient. Also well organized and very good food at the rest stops and end of the event. Starts and finishes in northern Michigan in Boyne City. I do believe the event is full but they do have a lottery for 300 more riders to get in. It is also a timed event if you so desire to rip your legs off! Midwesteners should check it out. I am doing the 100 miler this year. May have to look into the Dairyland ride too.