PDA

View Full Version : Through a beginner's eyes

zank
04-06-2006, 09:27 PM
I can't imagine how many total years of bike riding the members of this forum have done in total. It's been 15 years since I did my first "real" bike ride. My cousin took my tighty-whitey-under-the-bike-shorts-wearing self out and destroyed me for what felt like forever. It was probably only an hour. I thought I was going to die. He broke it to me that I wasn't supposed to wear underwear underneath my bike shorts. Hey, who knew, right? No one told me before that. That was my first lesson of thousands over the years. From gluing sew-ups to jumping logs, I've had many mentors.

OK, what's my point, right? Tonight, we kicked off our regular Wednesday night MTB ride. I know it's Thursday. Yesterday's snow postponed the kick-off to tonight.

There was one fella there who said it was his first real ride ever. Cool, right? What was really cool was riding with him and behind him for most of the ride. The guy giggled when he tipped over. He giggled when we turned a corner before a big climb. He giggled on every descent. The guy was having a freakin' ball. He had lots of questions. He was tired at the end. He said he can't wait until next week.

I could have been doing my thing with the knuckleheads off the front of the group. I would have missed this guy's joy entirely. Yup, it's corny and cliche, but it got me thinking about all of the people who had an influence on me and my cycling. I'll never forget those people. I'm glad I had a chance to remember.

Take a beginner out. Teach that person and be patient. Have some fun. View bike riding again through a set of beginner eyes. Tell him or her to leave the tighty whities or the panties at home. They'll always remember you for that.

Ken Robb
04-06-2006, 09:51 PM
and if your beginner is your wife-to-be it's even better---and more critical that you make sure it's fun.

Ginger
04-06-2006, 10:29 PM
I still giggle...
:)

When I can I take beginners with me. Road or trail. They are fun. That's why I do what I can do for the organization I do it for (Michigan Mountain Biking Association). So more beginners can giggle when they fall over on the trails here in Michigan... :banana:

coylifut
04-06-2006, 11:15 PM
My cousin took my tighty-whitey-under-the-bike-shorts-wearing self out and destroyed me for what felt like forever.

we have a cat 3 in our cub that wears tighty-whiteys under his shorts to this day. When I told him all bike racers are part Scottish he didn't get it.

William
04-07-2006, 04:22 AM
I giggled a lot the first time I took Beungood out on his first "real" road ride (Remember the firehouse/Congdon ride there Jack???). :D ;) I also recently took another gentleman out for his first "real" ride. I really like to see the determination and sheer will not to quit even when they are suffing on a climb, and the happiness on their face when the ride ends that they've completed it...suffering and all .

Like Zank, I was lucky to have a number of accomplished riders there to give me tips along the way, little thngs that make a big difference in how I ride. The best thing I can do is pay it forward, help others like the folks who helped me.

William

PS: In the begining, no one told me about the underwear thing because no one knew I was packing. I didn't say anything until we were on my first 50+ mile ride and things were starting to get real painful. So I pull up along side one of my teamates I knew from a class we had together and in a hushed tone, asked "what should I do when your underwear seams start cutting in to your skin"? He turns and looks at me like my head just spun a 360 degree turn ala the Exorcist...."YOU"RE WEARING UNDERWEAR"!! Now everyone is looking at me..."Aw man!"..."No dude, leave the tighty whiteys at home"..."Ha ha ha, bet that feels good right about now". :crap: Hey, nobody told me....not even Eddie B. :rolleyes:

davids
04-07-2006, 09:54 AM
There was one fella there who said it was his first real ride ever. Cool, right? What was really cool was riding with him and behind him for most of the ride. The guy giggled when he tipped over. He giggled when we turned a corner before a big climb. He giggled on every descent. The guy was having a freakin' ball. He had lots of questions. He was tired at the end. He said he can't wait until next week.

I could have been doing my thing with the knuckleheads off the front of the group. I would have missed this guy's joy entirely. Yup, it's corny and cliche, but it got me thinking about all of the people who had an influence on me and my cycling. I'll never forget those people. I'm glad I had a chance to remember.

Take a beginner out. Teach that person and be patient. Have some fun. View bike riding again through a set of beginner eyes. Tell him or her to leave the tighty whities or the panties at home. They'll always remember you for that.
Man, your story brings back some good memories! I rode my first couple of months of mountain biking solo (I was afraid to look like a complete doofus in front of anyone I knew.) But when I got over my pride and joined a small group of friends, my enjoyment went up dramatically. And I started learning so much from my buddies! That joy of discovery was wonderful. It's less frequent now, but I still love the camaraderie of riding with my friends.

And I love to have the opportunity to ride with enthusiastic beginners. 'Cuz I remember what it was like, and how deeply I appreciated the patience and friendship of the much more experienced guys I rode with...

Grant McLean
04-07-2006, 10:19 AM
we have a cat 3 in our cub that wears tighty-whiteys under his shorts to this day. When I told him all bike racers are part Scottish he didn't get it.

I'm all Scottish, but I wear boxers...

-g

Kevan
04-07-2006, 10:35 AM
here's a guy who basically went from a category "C" club rider to an "A" in his first season and that was marred with several weeks off due to a broken/chipped elbow. You should have seen the grin on this guy while he was riding. So contagious, you wanted to ride his wave.

Ginger
04-07-2006, 12:18 PM
William,
You're supposed to laugh *with* them, not *at* them. :)

You guys are gonna get the word out and kill your enjoyment of those girls who wear thongs under their bike shorts...

zank
04-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Geez, Ginger, you put me in a tough spot. I don't want to limit any thong wearing. But, I feel I owe it to the gal to at least mention it. What an internal conflict......I think I know which side of me will win out though.

Ginger
04-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Zank, don't worry too much.

You know...After a few years of mentioning the no underwear thing to thong wearers, I came to the conclusion that most who wear a thong under their bike shorts do so intentionally. I mean really, they aren't much use for anything else. They're like a push up bra for your butt. (attracts attention)

ClutchCargo
04-07-2006, 12:42 PM
William,
You're supposed to laugh *with* them, not *at* them. :)

You guys are gonna get the word out and kill your enjoyment of those girls who wear thongs under their bike shorts...

I think you meant to say "without"

:banana: :D :banana:

Ginger
04-07-2006, 12:48 PM
That sounds like a personal problem clutch.

Ok...Where's the ladder? So how did this cool thread wind up in the gutter? Bill?

zank
04-07-2006, 01:00 PM
They're like a push up bra for your butt. (attracts attention)

Really, I never noticed :rolleyes:

William
04-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Ok...Where's the ladder? So how did this cool thread wind up in the gutter? Bill?

<snicker> Cause Zank said "underwear". ;)

William

Kevan
04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
until you've ridden a tandem with Sandy.

I'm going home now, I don't feel so well. Flashbacks.

William
04-07-2006, 01:43 PM
until you've ridden a tandem with Sandy.

I'm going home now, I don't feel so well. Flashbacks.

If it involves a push-up bra (or even a bro), I don't want to hear about it. :no:

William ;)