PDA

View Full Version : Northwave shoe sizing/fit?

ceolwulf
02-15-2015, 12:34 PM
I really like the Torpedo Plus but there's no where I can try them on locally. So possibly attempting to buy shoes online for the first time.

Seems to be contradictory reports of how Northwave fits as compared to other brands. Only consensus is that they're not the same. Also that they run a bit wide which would suit me perfectly. (Even found a report contradicting that, though)

I take a 44 in Bontrager and 45 in Shimano although a 44.5 Shimano might be a bit better. As near as I can figure I should go for a 43 Northwave. Yes/no? Maybe?

choke
02-15-2015, 03:41 PM
You're on the right track anyway. FWIW I wear a 43.5 in Sidi, DMT and Fizik and I am a 42 in NW.

oliver1850
02-15-2015, 03:58 PM
I don't think my NW winter shoes fit too far off from my Shimano R107s. No idea how NW might vary between models. I have an old pair of NW summer road shoes that also seem to fit about like the R107s, maybe a bit more room in the toe. The old NWs and the R107s are both 45s. The winter shoes may be 46. I can't find the size on them and don't remember.

oddsaabs
02-15-2015, 04:03 PM
44.0 in Bontrager's, 44.5 in Sidi's, 43.0 in NorthWave.

Love my Extreme Tech Mtn shoes. Awful name, great shoes.

Hope that helps.

jmoore
02-15-2015, 04:26 PM
I have an old pair of Aerators in 45 and a new-ish pair of Extreme's in 46. They don't fit close to the same. The Extreme's have a very Italian last and I had to have them stretched to fit in the toe box. The Aerators have a huge toe box. They are my all time favorite shoes.

The Torpedo's look to have a very similar last to the Extreme's. So if you need width in the toe box, proceed with caution unless you want to stretch them. I have heard Lake's have a big toe box like the old Aerators, so I might try those next.

LouDeeter
02-16-2015, 06:35 AM
I wear a 43.5 mega in Sidi and 43.5 to 44 in NW. I use the 44 with thick socks. I'm selling a set of 44 Northwave Aerator over on the classifieds. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=156589

milkbaby
02-16-2015, 09:38 AM
I wear 43 in Gaerne and Fizik road shoes, 43.5 in Pearl Izumi road shoes, 43.5 in Lake MTB shoes, and a 42 in Northwave Extreme road shoes. The length of the NW shoes is good, but it's one of the more narrow of the shoes I wear.

ceolwulf
03-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Just to update this, for the record - I did order the 43 Torpedo Plus. Have three good rides on them now. They were definitely not exceptionally wide, in fact the forefoot to mid-foot range is if anything on the narrower side, but the length is right, there's plenty of toe room, the heel fits well, and the volume is very adjustable. Best thing I can say about them is I start riding and just forget about them. Had I tried them on in store it's possible I'd have gone for a 43.5 (if they make half sizes in these, not sure) since the 43 is definitely a closer fit than the 45 Shimano and a tiny bit closer than the 44 Bontrager but it's just as well I didn't.