PDA

View Full Version : Definitely offended the snow gods...

guido
02-15-2015, 10:22 AM
We got another 14" overnight in wintery stow, ma... The coast got it worse this time with the north shore reporting over 20 inches. It is up to my windows. Man I'm getting tired of this...

AngryScientist
02-15-2015, 10:51 AM
wait till it gets warm and the flooding starts. i'm guessing snow up to the windows is a lot of water...

guido
02-15-2015, 11:24 AM
It sure is a lot of water...4 years ago we got a good dose of flooding. That time it was lots of rain on still frozen ground. Already been checking on the health of the sump pump...

quattro
02-15-2015, 11:52 AM
Don't look now but we are supposed to get more snow on Tuesday and maybe Wednesday! :eek:

velomonkey
02-15-2015, 12:43 PM
you Boston and MA guys really got hit - I'm in CT and there is nothing fun about this whatsoever.

I went out to shovel today and my ears just about fell off. And the wind is really gonna pick up tonight.

guido
02-15-2015, 02:32 PM
3.5 hours of roof raking and shoveling later and it is all cleaned up. And yet another days worth of energy lost to snow removal rather than training...:eek:

thwart
02-15-2015, 02:41 PM
3.5 hours of roof raking and shoveling later and it is all cleaned up. And yet another days worth of energy lost to snow removal rather than training...:eek:

No, no, no. We call that cross-training up our way.

After all, you have to admit it definitely made you cross...

:duck:

Seriously, you folks have my sympathy. We have the brutal cold (-25° F wind chills this weekend) but have avoided the big snow dumps.

54ny77
02-15-2015, 04:37 PM
I hate this f'ing northeast weather.

Hate is an ugly word. And I mean every ounce of it when it comes to this weather.

Louis
02-15-2015, 04:47 PM
wait till it gets warm and the flooding starts. i'm guessing snow up to the windows is a lot of water...

A good rule of thumb (obviously it varies) is 0.1" rain = 1.0" snow.

marciero
02-15-2015, 06:03 PM
I consider myself pretty well geared up clothing-wise for cold weather riding into the single digits but the extreme wind today was like the final insult.

Satellite
02-15-2015, 06:16 PM
This thread is NO good with out pictures. :fight:

Sucks to get so much snow. :crap:

Climb01742
02-15-2015, 06:27 PM
we've gotten so much snow, so quickly, this year that i've had to add to shoveling the driveway, the walks, the deck, the dogs' 'business' area...a new place i shovel each storm...the roofs. What the f**k?:crap::crap::crap:

boliverpsych24
02-15-2015, 06:54 PM
What it looks like in northern New york

bcgav
02-15-2015, 06:57 PM
4+ft of snow near the MA/CT/RI line in the last 2 weeks, seems like a never ending battle to dig out. 14/12 pitch roof helps keep snow off. It's going to be -25F with wind chill tomorrow.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n576/TAG_Balllistic/IMG_9128_zps9emo0era.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/TAG_Balllistic/media/IMG_9128_zps9emo0era.jpg.html)

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n576/TAG_Balllistic/IMG_9132_zpsixscbqvj.jpeg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/TAG_Balllistic/media/IMG_9132_zpsixscbqvj.jpeg.html)

rounder
02-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Daughter lives in Rhode Island. She told me today that New Hampshire has issued a warrant for the arrest of Punxatawney Phil.

unterhausen
02-15-2015, 08:01 PM
it's actually my fault, I haven't gotten the second snow shovel down from the attic this year. I was looking at it yesterday thinking that if I got it down we would be bound to have a heat wave. It was zero F, but only about an inch of snow

Louis
02-15-2015, 08:09 PM
14/12 pitch roof helps keep snow off

That is steep. I guess that also means you don't ever have to go up there.

My roof has a much lower pitch (don't remember what it is, but I did measure it a few years ago) and I'm up there all the time cleaning out gutters, cutting branches, etc, etc.

Climb01742
02-15-2015, 08:51 PM
Our own private Alps.

Coluber42
02-15-2015, 09:47 PM
I went to work today. By bike (and counting my lucky stars that I don't own a car!!!!).
Between shoveling snow before I left and riding through it, I was drenched in sweat by the time I got there; and even though the windchill was around -10, I was drenched in sweat by the time I got home, too.

The problem with shoveling is that at a certain point, the snow piles are taller than me, and I have to get creative to even get the snow to stay where I throw it!

marc
02-15-2015, 09:56 PM
In Ct the snow drifts are higher than my house

Louis
02-15-2015, 10:01 PM
In Ct the snow drifts are higher than my house

:eek:

Be sure your furnace vent is clear...

Jack Brunk
02-15-2015, 10:18 PM
All you guys say the same thing each winter how bad it is etc,
So you continue to do the same stupid ···· every winter and continue to live where you do.
We need a new topic, weather on the insane coast is what it is.

Only 78 and a slight coaster flow today made it perfect.

My post is all in jest, me need you where you are.

christian
02-15-2015, 10:25 PM
On Saturday, it was 9 degrees in NY. Today, I went for a swim in the ocean in Oxnard, CA. Jack Brunk, that guy might just be right...

Jack Brunk
02-15-2015, 10:35 PM
On Saturday, it was 9 degrees in NY. Today, I went for a swim in the ocean in Oxnard, CA. Jack Brunk, that guy might just be right...

Dude, I'm 20 minutes away. Want to ride some trails in Point Mugu tomorrow?
I can make it happen.

Jack Brunk
02-15-2015, 10:41 PM
It's going to cool down to 75 Christian. I have everthing you need for a cool mtn bike ride.

54ny77
02-15-2015, 10:42 PM
Listen here wiseguy, I gave up the mediterranean climate of coastal southern California just so I bitch & moan here, watch icicles form on my rain gutters and own my very own snowblower with enough hp to launch snow 30ft., just because it's just so much fun....;)

All you guys say the same thing each winter how bad it is etc,
So you continue to do the same stupid ···· every winter and continue to live where you do.
We need a new topic, weather on the insane coast is what it is.

Only 78 and a slight coaster flow today made it perfect.

My post is all in jest, me need you where you are.

Jack Brunk
02-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Love you bro,
We all fall within our needs and wants for what's best for me and my family.
I'm rolling some vinyl from REO Speedwagon which doesn't help but should I follow from my head or follow from my heart. I'll stay on the left.

bcgav
02-15-2015, 11:09 PM
That is steep. I guess that also means you don't ever have to go up there.

My roof has a much lower pitch (don't remember what it is, but I did measure it a few years ago) and I'm up there all the time cleaning out gutters, cutting branches, etc, etc.

Haven't had to go up there yet and don't plan on it. No gutters to clean.

I think this pic was taken in Boston today lol.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B97sX32CIAE8Ipq.jpg

Louis
02-15-2015, 11:15 PM
I hope for you guys' sake that it takes a few days to melt, not all at once, because otherwise that will be also be painful.

Sort of like eating super, super-hot peppers on a dare in college - you get to enjoy them twice...

kenw
02-16-2015, 12:44 AM
Daughter lives in Rhode Island. She told me today that New Hampshire has issued a warrant for the arrest of Punxatawney Phil.

Read the Mutts cartoon the other day? "Next year letʻs show our shadow on Maui"

Matthew
02-16-2015, 08:36 AM
I was going to cuss Jack out (I live in balmy Michigan) until I saw the post about rocking some old school Speedwagon. Hi Infidelity album right? Brings back some good memories! Enjoy your weather. And the tunes. Matthew

Ti Designs
02-16-2015, 09:11 AM
When it comes to ignoring how bad the weather is, I'm as tough as they get, but this winter is really testing me. My outdoor mileage is a fraction of what it should be, I've watched every movie I own twice while on the trainer, and while my car isn't moving any time soon (it's the white lump in front of my house), I've gotten to shovel out my girlfriend's car every time it snows. I just keep reminding myself that the only thing worse than a hard winter is being slow and out of shape in the spring. So today, as soon as it gets above 10 degrees, I'm heading out for some fixed gear miles.

Climb01742
02-16-2015, 09:20 AM
When it comes to ignoring how bad the weather is, I'm as tough as they get, but this winter is really testing me. My outdoor mileage is a fraction of what it should be, I've watched every movie I own twice while on the trainer, and while my car isn't moving any time soon (it's the white lump in front of my house), I've gotten to shovel out my girlfriend's car every time it snows. I just keep reminding myself that the only thing worse than a hard winter is being slow and out of shape in the spring. So today, as soon as it gets above 10 degrees, I'm heading out for some fixed gear miles.

Be safe out there, Ed. Can't remember the roads being this narrow or the snow-piled corners this blind. Driving is a crapshoot. Riding even harder. Take your guardian angel, ok?

Ti Designs
02-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Be safe out there, Ed. Can't remember the roads being this narrow or the snow-piled corners this blind. Driving is a crapshoot. Riding even harder. Take your guardian angel, ok?

I've learned not to ride up Glezen road during rush hour. A few years ago we had snow banks making that road narrow enough that people couldn't pass, and a fixed gear with studded snow tires going up hill doesn't go much faster than 14 MPH, so I had a parade of cars behind me, most of them wanted to shoot me. There's less traffic during the day, it's a bit warmer, and riding the trainer one more time may be more dangerous...

Steve in SLO
02-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Listen here wiseguy, I gave up the mediterranean climate of coastal southern California just so I bitch & moan here, watch icicles form on my rain gutters and own my very own snowblower with enough hp to launch snow 30ft., just because it's just so much fun....;)

Sounds like life is perfect for you… Congratulations! :fight:

cd_davis
02-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Flying back to Boston from FL two days late. Reading all the posts, what a way to initiate a mild case of depression before evening boarding the first flight....😥

Ken Robb
02-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Flying back to Boston from FL two days late. Reading all the posts, what a way to initiate a mild case of depression before evening boarding the first flight....😥

I guess trying to get you to embrace the change of seasons and consider this weather crisp and invigorating will be difficult? :rolleyes:

54ny77
02-16-2015, 11:48 AM
Hah! If we could, we'd trade it all to come back to SLO in a blink of an eye, sir.

And I'd eat a tri tip sandwich w/cold beer every day at Firestone. :beer:

Sounds like life is perfect for you… Congratulations! :fight:

pjmsj21
02-16-2015, 12:38 PM
And so you thought that there would be no implications for taking the Lombardi trophy from Seattle? Its sunny and in the high 50's or low 60's in Seattle.

guido
02-16-2015, 12:48 PM
And so you thought that there would be no implications for taking the Lombardi trophy from Seattle? Its sunny and in the high 50's or low 60's in Seattle.
:rolleyes:

merlinmurph
02-16-2015, 07:28 PM

And the skiing is absolutely terrible out west right now. ;-)

rounder
02-16-2015, 08:15 PM
Drove home from Rockville (just north of D.C.) tonight. Snow was blowing all over the road on I-95. Cars were going 60. The storm was just arriving. They were calling for 4-8 inches. It was a hard drive with all the salt spray on the windows, but nothing like what the northeast has got this year.

Had not really thought about it too much before, but we have a place in Maine...hope the roof is still standing.

peteskipslegday
02-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Boston, luckily just dodged the potential for more snow.

^From what I was hearing on the news, the south is in pieces. Figured two years ago when we were hearing about pile ups in Alabama due to 2 inches of snowfall, they would've been better prepared.

(Insert "Inconvenient Truth" Joke)

Stay warm people!

tele
02-17-2015, 09:57 AM
And the skiing is absolutely terrible out west right now. ;-)
Finally sweet revenge Dan!

Keep it coming :fight:

mgm777
02-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Hah! If we could, we'd trade it all to come back to SLO in a blink of an eye, sir.

And I'd eat a tri tip sandwich w/cold beer every day at Firestone. :beer:

+1 This brings back so many fond memories and captures a little of the essence of Central Coast living. I was stationed at VAFB a long time ago and tri tip BBQ in the parking lots on the weekends along with trips to Firestone were de rigueur.

unterhausen
02-17-2015, 02:12 PM
we had a half inch here in central PA, and a sufficient number of morons in Harrisburg couldn't bother to slow down for it. Crashes everywhere. I had a doctor's appointment on the other side of Harrisburg and the first 80 miles went smoothly. The last 10 miles took forever.

I think if you have an entirely predictable collision that brings an entire city to a halt, you should be sentenced to ride a bike or bus to work for the next year.

Lewis Moon
02-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Much as I'd like to revel in just how beautiful the weather is here, right now, I can't. This stuff scares me. Not looking forward to 118 degrees.

bcgav
02-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Improvise, adapt, overcome!

Boston bikers build a 40-foot snow tunnel for commuting
(http://mashable.com/2015/02/22/boston-bikers-snow-tunnel/?utm_campaign=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_cid=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedly&utm_reader=feedly)

http://rack.0.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE1LzAyLzIyLzA5L1NjcmVlblNob3QyLjg1MzdkLnBuZw pwCXRodW1iCTEyMDB4OTYwMD4/2a8d4ab1/d37/Screen-Shot-2015-02-22-at-12.16.24-PM-637x640.png

Ken Robb
02-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Improvise, adapt, overcome!

Boston bikers build a 40-foot snow tunnel for commuting
(http://mashable.com/2015/02/22/boston-bikers-snow-tunnel/?utm_campaign=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_cid=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedly&utm_reader=feedly)

http://rack.0.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE1LzAyLzIyLzA5L1NjcmVlblNob3QyLjg1MzdkLnBuZw pwCXRodW1iCTEyMDB4OTYwMD4/2a8d4ab1/d37/Screen-Shot-2015-02-22-at-12.16.24-PM-637x640.png
Call me a worry-wart but I'd be afraid it might collapse with me inside.