PDA

View Full Version : Am I just an idiot, or do these things ruin valves?

Dead Man
02-14-2015, 11:36 PM
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/IMG_05941_zpsrtzuvrt7.jpg

Freaking defective? 4 tires filled, 4 valves destroyed in varying ways. How hard can it be... screw on, pump up, screw off. I am going to take a sledge hammer to this POS and return it to REI in a bag of rage and hatred.

eddief
02-15-2015, 12:12 AM
which POS is it?

Dead Man
02-15-2015, 01:05 AM
https://www.serfas.com/products/view/709/referer:products%7Cindex%7Cpumps

lhuerta
02-15-2015, 01:34 AM
That looks like a POS.... return it and order a Silca Super Pista for less then the $100 u paid for the Serfas. The Silca will serve u for life and u will even b able to pass it on to ur children (I'm not kidding).

alancw3
02-15-2015, 03:57 AM
are you holding the valve body with one hand while screwing on/unscrewing? also i once purchased a batch of tubes (wouldn't say the name that seemed to have particularly weak valve bases where they molded with the tube casing. all broke away very quickly. i have not had that problem since switching to continental tubes exclusively.

no first hand knowledge of the serfas pump but it looks like a quality product and the company has a long history of making pumps. fwiw i have had great success the past several years now with a specialized air tool pro pump with quick release head. shop quality.

dem
02-15-2015, 08:02 AM
Oddly, that is the only style of pump head more "spatially challenged" people I know can manage without bending and/or destroying the valve/tube.

It is similar to the Lezyne Flip-chuck (which has an air release to keep from sucking out removable valve cores) and the Birzman heads.

I may have owned over a dozen different floor pumps over the years, searching for the "perfect" pump. So I've tried nearly all variations. :)

(current personal favorite remains the Topeak Ace with Hirame head. I'd rate the Silca (non-super) near the bottom - cheap, erratic small gauge, the push-on chuck is clunky, short tube so lots of pumps, hose is short, etc.)

oldpotatoe
02-15-2015, 08:08 AM
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/IMG_05941_zpsrtzuvrt7.jpg

Freaking defective? 4 tires filled, 4 valves destroyed in varying ways. How hard can it be... screw on, pump up, screw off. I am going to take a sledge hammer to this POS and return it to REI in a bag of rage and hatred.

Cut that sucker off, get a Tanaka or Hirame head and be done with it.

Gummee
02-15-2015, 09:00 AM
I don't like those screw-on heads. I've unscrewed too many removable valve cores with em over the years.

M

Cicli
02-15-2015, 09:02 AM
I don't like those screw-on heads. I've unscrewed too many removable valve cores with em over the years.

M

Agreed, those screw on heads are a pain. I don't mind using a regular flip chuck.

8aaron8
02-15-2015, 10:34 AM
I have a small spin doctor rescue pump I bring with me on rides that uses the same screw on head. I like it when out on the road because I can get the tire pressure up without the head leaking air. So far I have had zero issues. I do however you a silca pump head on my floor pump as it creates a perfect seal without air loss at removal.

pinoymamba
02-15-2015, 10:40 AM
I have this on my pump.

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/images/pumphdA.jpg

Dead Man
02-15-2015, 10:41 AM
I have a small spin doctor rescue pump I bring with me on rides that uses the same screw on head. I like it when out on the road because I can get the tire pressure up without the head leaking air. So far I have had zero issues. I do however you a silca pump head on my floor pump as it creates a perfect seal without air loss at removal.

Word.. my road pump also twists, but it doesn't destroy my valves. None so far, anyway. This new floor pump is 4/4, so far.

Tony T
02-15-2015, 10:45 AM

Only happens once per valve for me (I use a drop of loctite when re-installing the core)

etu
02-15-2015, 10:49 AM

M

me too, happens with every tube at some point with my Leyzne floor pump.
my solution has been to tighten the valve cores with a little extra torque using needle nose pliers.

Tony T
02-15-2015, 10:53 AM
my solution has been to tighten the valve cores with a little extra torque using needle nose pliers.

…or use a drop of:
http://www.techni-tool.com/core/media/media.nl?id=72501&c=1195528&h=9fd68b47c8dcf5c7bf49

etu
02-15-2015, 11:13 AM
…or use a drop of:
http://www.techni-tool.com/core/media/media.nl?id=72501&c=1195528&h=9fd68b47c8dcf5c7bf49

that's probably a better idea and definitely more elegant, but Mongo likes to CRUSH those valve cores!
Pliers might also be more effective in venting some of the anger that gets built up. Best to recite the following as you turn the pliers - "f..in stupid pump"

youngman
02-15-2015, 11:50 AM
I have been enjoying my limited use of the newer stainless presta chuck from Silca with the red silicone washer. It seems to work very well.

froze
02-15-2015, 12:07 PM
I never had a problem with screw on threads, but since you do with that one take it back.

I like the Silica too if price is no object, but I also like the Giant Control Tower Pro for the same price and I think it's better than the Silica because it has a double pump chamber so the inside chamber is protected against any dents that may occur and thus not affect the pumping ability.

For lower costing pumps the Topeak JoeBlow series is difficult to beat.

Dead Man
02-15-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm overall not impressed with this pump - I bought it for sake of putting out more money for a quality tool, and instead it just rattles annoying as I pump and then destroys my valves.

I'll take a look at the silcas

Steve in SLO
02-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Cut that sucker off, get a Tanaka or Hirame head and be done with it.
This.
Hirame head + (add pump name here) = Good

Tony T
02-15-2015, 03:53 PM
…or get 2 Lezyne Pumps for the price of the Hirame head ;)

Cicli
02-15-2015, 04:28 PM

Still not a good deal. I had a alloy floor drive. The only pump I ever threw out intact and working. I would have felt bad to give it away. Got it as a gift.

Rebuilt my Silca and it's still going strong.

Steve in SLO
02-15-2015, 04:29 PM

I bought a Lezyne pump once, and now it's perfect:

Tony T
02-15-2015, 04:33 PM
That Hirame deserves a Silca Superpista Ultimate Floor Pump :)
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0309/9521/products/SP2_3_qtr_view_Small_grande.jpg?v=1418183535

(I can see spending $10,000 for a custom bike, but not $100 for a pump head)

SoCalSteve
02-15-2015, 04:35 PM

The Lezyne stuff is exceptional designed and well built. I use their mini pump and CO2 head exclusively on the road...

I still find the Park Tools shop floor pumps to be amazing.

Good luck!

Tony T
02-15-2015, 04:36 PM
I had a alloy floor drive. The only pump I ever threw out intact and working
Rebuilt my Silca and it's still going strong

Why throw out an intact and working pump? — Does the Silca pump in lighter air? :)

SoCalSteve
02-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Still not a good deal. I had a alloy floor drive. The only pump I ever threw out intact and working. I would have felt bad to give it away. Got it as a gift.

Rebuilt my Silca and it's still going strong.

No disrespect, but you probably didn't know how to use it properly. It's a bit tricky to figure out, but once you do...it's design is truly amazing! And, the fit and finish are great as well.

Tony T
02-15-2015, 04:43 PM
And Lezyne's customer service is also good.
The gauge broke on a friends, and they sent a free replacement gauge even though the pump was out of warranty.

Cicli
02-15-2015, 04:50 PM
No disrespect, but you probably didn't know how to use it properly. It's a bit tricky to figure out, but once you do...it's design is truly amazing! And, the fit and finish are great as well.

No disrespect taken. But, it's only a pump. There is nothing too complicated about it.

In Lezynes defense they send me a rebuild kit when the check valve in the base failed. I rebuilt it and it failed again about a year later. They sent another kit and the gauge went on the fritz not too long after.

I know how to use tools believe me. I have made a good living using first rate hand tools. This was a bad tool.
It wasn't working good, ever but it worked.

thwart
02-15-2015, 05:16 PM
I bought a Lezyne pump once, and now it's perfect:

… great minds…

(btw, 6 yrs and many hundreds of uses. This thing is the schnitz)

Louis
02-15-2015, 05:36 PM
For lower costing pumps the Topeak JoeBlow series is difficult to beat.

+1

Topeak Joe Blow with the "TwinHead" and you're good to go.

http://www.topeak.com/mediafiles/products/529/

rockdoc
02-15-2015, 06:14 PM
I've used my Silca track pump for, 35 plus years now. Flawless.

Steve

jischr
02-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Interesting, I use to break off a valve core 2-3 times a summer with the lever/chuck type pumps. Bought a Lezyne and haven't replace a tube in 4 years of using it. Obviously our mileage varies.

jlwdm
02-16-2015, 12:20 AM
My Lezyne was great until a few weeks ago. Now I can't get the head to screw on the valves.

So I followed some of the advice here and ordered the Hirame head.

Jeff

lhuerta
02-16-2015, 01:18 AM
I've used my Silca track pump for, 35 plus years now. Flawless.

Steve

32 years on my Silca Track...and all she has required are a few leather plungers and gaskets along the way. There is no substitute for Silca quality and reliability.

weisan
02-16-2015, 08:42 AM
Stay with what works.
Don't need to over spend.

Mid range Topeak Joeblow.

Works every time.

Zero issue.

Long enough life. My children don't need to inherit my pump.

milkbaby
02-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Personally, I have two Lezyne floor pumps with the screw on chucks and two other floor pumps with the more common air chuck with a flip lever to tighten. I prefer the screw on chucks.

However, it is still necessary to screw the chucks on straight to the valve stem and to only screw it in enough for the o-ring/gasket to seal well to the valve stem, basically just under the part with the threads for the stem cap. I also make sure to carefully keep everything straight when I'm unscrewing the chuck to keep from damaging the valve.

Of course, I take the same care when using the flip chucks, it's just that in my experience it's easier to get a good seal with the screw on chucks. Lots of times the flip chucks will leak, probably from too much damage to the chuck o-ring/gasket.

Ti Designs
02-16-2015, 09:33 AM
How does having a pump head that ruins valves exclude you from being an idiot?

bobswire
02-16-2015, 10:12 AM
It's more abut the quality of the presta valve stem core than it is for the pump IMO. I've noticed newer presta valve stem core seem to bend easier yet are brittle and subject to break when extended for filling. You have to be more careful in lining the stem with pump head on both putting it on and taking it off. If taken off at a slight angle can result in a bent and eventual broken valve stem.

Tony T
02-16-2015, 10:59 AM
My Lezyne was great until a few weeks ago. Now I can't get the head to screw on the valves.

So I followed some of the advice here and ordered the Hirame head.

Jeff

A drop or two of oil on the outside of the Lezyne head may help.

Dead Man
02-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Changing the head on this thing would change the overall design enough that I don't even want to mess with it. When you get right down to it, the final selling point on this pump was the convenient way you stow the hose/head- wrapped over the top of the handle and hooked into a slot on the other side. Changing the head would leave the hose/head floppy all over the place, getting stepped on and tripped over and beat to hell.

Dead Man
02-16-2015, 11:05 AM
How does having a pump head that ruins valves exclude you from being an idiot?

Barring any other indicators, I am making the assumption that I'm clear.

Louis
02-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Changing the head on this thing would change the overall design enough that I don't even want to mess with it. When you get right down to it, the final selling point on this pump was the convenient way you stow the hose/head- wrapped over the top of the handle and hooked into a slot on the other side. Changing the head would leave the hose/head floppy all over the place, getting stepped on and tripped over and beat to hell.

My hose, which is way long and strong for all the applications I've tried, just dangles at the end, and that works fine for me...

pdmtong
02-16-2015, 10:32 PM

This^

Vientomas
02-17-2015, 05:27 AM
This^

A spoke wrench works too.

b021c
02-17-2015, 08:49 AM
I keep the Park Tool VC 1 on hand for valve maintenance. Good tool to have actually.