PDA

View Full Version : Silca pump head washer

Plum Hill
02-14-2015, 09:28 PM
Has anyone tried the new red washer in a Silca track pump?
Large domestic MO outfit told my friend they were junk, not as good as Italian rubber washer.

Ken Robb
02-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Has anyone tried the new red washer in a Silca track pump?
Large domestic MO outfit told my friend they were junk, not as good as Italian rubber washer.

what is "MO"?

Louis
02-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Mail Order

iPaul
02-15-2015, 05:06 AM
Yes, Ive been using them on my older silva pump heads. At first wasn't thrilled but as I tightenened the head down more it now works great. Haven't seen much wear and tear either.

OtayBW
02-15-2015, 08:49 AM
I only use tubes with non-threaded valve stems and I haven't changed out the washer in my 25 yo Silca floor pump for years. So, I'm the wrong guy to ask if a better mouse trap is really all the schnitz....:banana:

MikeD
02-15-2015, 10:13 AM
The new Silca company has improved the washer greatly.

MikeD
02-15-2015, 10:14 AM
I only use tubes with non-threaded valve stems and I haven't changed out the washer in my 25 yo Silca floor pump for years. So, I'm the wrong guy to ask if a better mouse trap is really all the schnitz....:banana:

If you grease the washer with silicone grease it will last longer and seal better.

Look585
02-15-2015, 10:34 AM
I got a red silicone washer and didnt like it. Slid off at higher pressure. However, i think it came from somewhere other than Silca.

Lube on the standard washer is a good idea. I use Italian extra virgin olive oil. Seems appropriate.

srice
02-15-2015, 10:58 AM

Best advice ever for Silca pumps. I made the same switch years ago and the washer lasts forever and doesn't pop off at high pressure.

rgr111
02-15-2015, 08:00 PM
I have to fight my Silca head off the valve every time I use it, usually tearing up my hand on the spokes in the process. I'm not a huge fan. Guess it's time to try lubing it up.

everbeek
02-16-2015, 06:46 AM
Loosen the knurled collar.
-Mike
I have to fight my Silca head off the valve every time I use it, usually tearing up my hand on the spokes in the process. I'm not a huge fan. Guess it's time to try lubing it up.