PDA

View Full Version : OT:Should I Join the Cult? Windows Phone User to I-Phone

pjmsj21
02-13-2015, 01:38 PM
I have been a pretty loyal Windows Phone user for a number of years.

Part of the reason that I have bucked the overwhelming trend to the Iphone is that I have great respect for Bill Gates and what he has done with his wealth vs Steve Jobs. Yes I know purchasing one phone vs the other has almost no impact on either organizations financial health and what they do with their resources. However I have to admire Bill Gates for genuinely trying to deal with some of the world's more pressing problems.

In addition, I just liked the simplicity of the Windows/Nokia phone, it's tiles, modern appearance, not to mention it the phone was pretty bullet proof. Plus I use laptop PC at home and at work and know the windows system well.

However, I am likely in the market for a new phone and while I am not much of an app user, the world seems to have decided that there are two options the I-Phone and Android. With my wife as an IP user, it now just seems as if I should stop fighting the trend and just make life a bit easier by going the IP route.

Any thoughts from this astute and knowledgeable group?

vav
02-13-2015, 01:40 PM
Nexus 5.

kramnnim
02-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Stay strong, resist the urge. WP users, unite! :hello::hello:

saab2000
02-13-2015, 01:44 PM
I had an iPhone 3G when it first came out. I should have waited for the 3GS but that's water under the bridge at this point.

But even with all the faults and warts of the early iPhone experience on the terrible (then at least) AT&T network, I loved the experience.

Then when it just wouldn't cut it anymore because it was nearly 3 years old and the battery life was terrible and it was painfully slow, I got an Android phone and almost immediately regretted it.

I lived with that phone for about 20 months and then when I became eligible for the iPhone 5S I ordered one and as soon as I got it I was happy again.

I'm still happy. I'm not a huge app guy either, but I have a few. The software loaded as the IOS is useful and the the built-in apps are good. Apples really have no 'bloatware' and each one is as Apple intends it to be. Android phones are often customized by the phone manufacturer or the cell phone company to their desires. That said, there are "Pure Android" phones available.

I'm not a fanboy or Apple cheerleader and what you've said about Gates vs. Jobs is correct to some extent. But the iPhone experience for me has been great. Simple to use. Super reliable. No tricks. It just works.

I have the 5S and battery life has been very good. I can't imagine living without one at this point.

sitzmark
02-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Apps and integration are (were) a primary reason for going iPhone.

Android is catching up in the apps department and with Google's acquisition moves into AI, automation systems, robotics, monitoring, etc, it is clear Android is going to be a major platform for sophisticated consumer-level "life automation".

Ever growing number of apps and integrated devices for iOS too - thermostats, lights, cameras, security systems, doors, gates, etc. Not so much for Windows mobile platform, so if this is a desire (or future desire) it might make sense to make the move. Not to mention sport/health related apps.

Both iOS and Android are limiting for business use. You can't reply to an email and simply attach a file along with it in iOS. You can send links to cloud storage locations or open a document, spreadsheet, etc after replying and "share" it attached to a separate email. So there are (inconvenient) workarounds. Most other MS-Office functionality is supported via various apps.

What is nice with iOS is that it integrates extremely well with the Apple universe. Open a Safari search on your iPhone, pick up your iPad, or sit down at your Mac desktop and pick up at the same place you left off on the other device(s). iMessaging between iOS devices bypasses txt message usage/charges on cell networks. Video conferencing is a snap with FaceTime between all Apple devices. Incoming calls to your iPhone can ring and be answered on all of your Apple devices - iPad (when connected to same network), O/S X desktop, etc.. Integration with iTunes, Apple TV, Apple Remote, and AirPlay makes it easy to set up a whole house (wireless) audio system and control it all from your iPhone.

All of this is VERY fluid. For example, NEST was started by an ex-Apple engineer, was tightly integrated with the iOS world in the beginning and then Google purchased NEST ... and DropCam which now integrates with NEST ... so the development edge for NEST is no doubt going to lean Google/Android.

If none of this matters (much) and all you want is a phone. Any phone will do.

cdn_bacon
02-13-2015, 02:26 PM
I own an iphone 5s and happened to have found an HTC m8 while out riding.

I've been through every model of iphone except the 6 and given the choice and simplicity of transferring the files to my HTC m8 ( without the rediculously priced lightning cable) and screen quality and not having to be locked in to Itunes only on 5 computers/not being able to transfer my music or libraries without it, I would choose an android phone.

It connects to my bluetooth faster, has the same apps I use on iphone uses less battery power.

On a side note, working as a distributor, the licensing fees associated with the lightning cable microchips are getting out of control and the lawsuits that apple are pressing forward with are a bit much.

I'll vote nexus 5 or 6 if you can get them...

93legendti
02-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Buy a used phone from Gazelle, or any other ebay merchant that offers 30 days returns, no questions asked, seller paid return shipping.

You can get a Samsung s4 for $155 or so, I just ordered an iphone 5 a few days ago for $153 shipped. Motorola Moto X's can be had for $135, Motorola Droid Maxx for $148. Nexus 4 for $116. You can keep, return or sell and still do well. Then you can decide what phone you really want to keep.

I get bored with phones, so I buy and sell them.

redir
02-13-2015, 02:35 PM
My last phone I had for 4 years which was a Droid X. I was going through the same decision process you are going through and settled on a Samsung Galaxy 5. Geesh what a big difference that made. I can run Strava, step walking app, training app and Pandora at the same time where as on the old phone I could hardly run one app at a time.

The iPhones are real nice though and they take very good quality pics, as does the S5.

But if you don't think you need apps then just get flip phone and save your money because apps are really what make these smart phones imho.

makoti
02-13-2015, 02:42 PM
I've actually seen more people going iphone -> android than the other way lately. I have a Galaxy S5. Nice. I'll likely get the 6 when my upgrade comes through.
I'd either stay WP or go Galaxy.

ceolwulf
02-13-2015, 02:49 PM
What sitzmark said basically.

However if you can wait till Windows 10 comes out the fact that the phones will be running the same OS as both desktops and tablets will make things very interesting.

classtimesailer
02-13-2015, 02:53 PM
bill gates is using his wealth to destroy public education. if you support that effort, and you feel a part of that by buying ms products, you should maintain your loyalty.

Anarchist
02-13-2015, 02:53 PM
I was until recently on Blackberry. Because that is all my employer would allow.

I recently traded to BB Z10 for an iPhone 5s ( because I don't want anything larger than that) and can honestly say, for the first time ... I get the "smartphone" thing.

The iPhone is part of may daily life in every way, through apps and ease of use, in a way the BB could never have been.

the dreaded "locked in" apple garden is total nonsense.

shovelhd
02-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Android and IPhone are just about dead even in market share so you won't go wrong with either. I found the iPhone to have a better user interface for me, and compared to every Android phone in my family, better battery life. That is what swayed me to the original iPhone 5 from Android, and kept me there with the iPhone 6, which has noticably better battery life than the 5. I am neither an Apple or Jobs disciple or a Google hater. It just does what I need it to do.

texbike
02-13-2015, 03:17 PM
I'm not really an Apple fan, but definitely prefer iPhones to the Android options that I've had. Everything just seems easier and more intuitive on the iPhones.

Texbike

oldpotatoe
02-13-2015, 03:26 PM
I have been a pretty loyal Windows Phone user for a number of years.

Part of the reason that I have bucked the overwhelming trend to the Iphone is that I have great respect for Bill Gates and what he has done with his wealth vs Steve Jobs. Yes I know purchasing one phone vs the other has almost no impact on either organizations financial health and what they do with their resources. However I have to admire Bill Gates for genuinely trying to deal with some of the world's more pressing problems.

In addition, I just liked the simplicity of the Windows/Nokia phone, it's tiles, modern appearance, not to mention it the phone was pretty bullet proof. Plus I use laptop PC at home and at work and know the windows system well.

However, I am likely in the market for a new phone and while I am not much of an app user, the world seems to have decided that there are two options the I-Phone and Android. With my wife as an IP user, it now just seems as if I should stop fighting the trend and just make life a bit easier by going the IP route.

Any thoughts from this astute and knowledgeable group?

iPhone 6. Nancy's use windows stuff and clinchers.

Keith A
02-13-2015, 03:31 PM
I'm still happy. I'm not a huge app guy either, but I have a few. The software loaded as the IOS is useful and the the built-in apps are good. Apples really have no 'bloatware' and each one is as Apple intends it to be. Android phones are often customized by the phone manufacturer or the cell phone company to their desires. That said, there are "Pure Android" phones available.

I'm not a fanboy or Apple cheerleader and what you've said about Gates vs. Jobs is correct to some extent. But the iPhone experience for me has been great. Simple to use. Super reliable. No tricks. It just works.
...I echo much of what Saab2000 stated. Even though I work in the tech industry, I was a long time holdout going to a smart phone. I debated and read reviews about the various choices before purchasing an iPhone 5s. The main thing that pushed me this way was that all of my daughters had iPhones and I thought having the same family of devices might be good.

It turns out this has been a great decision for me. My oldest daughter is now teaching English in the Far East and being able to send iMessages and use Facetime, which are built in features of an iPhone, have been great. Yes, I'm sure there are equivalent apps for an Android phone, but I like not having to do anything special to communicate with her.

Is my iPhone perfect? No, it will often not produce a sound when a call comes in or I get a text, but the next time it will work. So there are still some glitches...but overall, I've been happy with it's performance.

zzy
02-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Nokia's handsets are solid, but Win8.1 mobile is a joke and its development still lacks critical features that were standard with Android/iOS 5 years ago. They started far behind and the slow development finds them even further back today. Very few developers support it, and even less going forward as it continues to lose marketshare every day. It's not that WP is bad, it's just that Android/iOS are far, far superior are and investing far more resources into development as both Google and Apple recognize this is a fight for the future. MS is betting the (mobile) farm on Win10, and I believe all Win8 devices will get the upgrade, so if you have faith and can wait another year, that may be an attractive option.

Watching Blackberry's constant, pathetic decline this decade has been very hard to watch...

Keith A
02-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Watching Blackberry's constant, pathetic decline this decade has been very hard to watch...I didn't even think they were an option anymore.

shovelhd
02-13-2015, 04:13 PM
I didn't even think they were an option anymore.

The installed base in corporate America is all that is keeping the lights on. I was asked to carry one, but refused. I have software on my iPhone that takes care of everything including all security concerns.

CunegoFan
02-13-2015, 04:13 PM
MS is betting the (mobile) farm on Win10, and I believe all Win8 devices will get the upgrade, so if you have faith and can wait another year, that may be an attractive option.

That really calls for someone to roll out the old joke about the virgin who had three previous husbands, the last of which was Bill Gates.

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Over 2 and a half hours and this thread isn't 40 pages yet? Dudes come on, pick it up!

I almost went to a Windows phone a few months back, Android was on the table as well. I've been an iPhone user since '08 and for the most part it's been a good setup. I am a Mac user at home so the ecosystem has been fairly easy to deal with.

But the 5c model that my wife and I have were both exhibiting the same hardware issue (screen popping out) so I had them both replaced and then my replacement started popping out and then the screen died altogether. During the week of Christmas. Kinda nice not having that time stealer for a week though lol

But the more I thought about transitioning stuff, the more I just didn't care what the heck phone I was using and as the camera and software in the iPhones are generally better than most of the competitors I just didn't want to spend the time and energy on the task. So I plead my case with Apple and they replaced the replacement (it was a day or 2 out of warranty). Now of course my wife's replacement phone is acting up... Damn technology.

I guess my point is to keep what you like and know best.

pjmsj21
02-13-2015, 04:41 PM
OP here....I just took a look at market share and Windows Phones are going from 3.3% in 2013 to 2.7% in 2014. I don't mind bucking a trend but the numbers are pretty daunting and will no doubt likely get worse. If for no other reason than family consistency, I will likely go the IP route. I also am really just looking for something that just works and that seems to be the claim of the IP.

kramnnim
02-13-2015, 05:09 PM
OP, do you already use iTunes on your Windows PC?

pjmsj21
02-13-2015, 05:10 PM
OP, do you already use iTunes on your Windows PC?

Not really an I-Tunes user at all.

zzy
02-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Honestly, if you don't care about having the latest and greatest, an older Android phone would be very cost effective. The Nexus 4 can be found cheap now, and other former flagship phones are very cheap used. There's really no reason to spend top dollar unless you want the status. I've found iPhones to have good software, but very mediocre durability. I swear the screens are designed to crack/shatter..

sitzmark
02-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Honestly, if you don't care about having the latest and greatest, an older Android phone would be very cost effective. The Nexus 4 can be found cheap now, and other former flagship phones are very cheap used. There's really no reason to spend top dollar unless you want the status. I've found iPhones to have good software, but very mediocre durability. I swear the screens are designed to crack/shatter..

Seriously?? There's NO status in what phone one has. None.

kramnnim
02-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Not really an I-Tunes user at all.

Try installing it and using it before you buy an iPhone. I hated it so very much and have been happily iTunes free for several years.

...unless you don't need iTunes to do iPhone stuff? I'm happily ignorant... :hello:

ceolwulf
02-13-2015, 06:31 PM
You can easily go months without connecting to iTunes. There's still a couple things it's needed for but mainly everything can be done from the phone itself.

rounder
02-13-2015, 08:38 PM
I have an IPhone 5 that I am happy with. I do not have many apps but use mapquest since I travel a fair amount of time. I also use it to access email and paceline. I have apps for flashlight and magnifying glass, but rarely use them. The phone works and fits in my pocket.

My wife loves her Samsung 4. I bought her an Iphone 5 but she hated it and we returned it. To me, her phone is nice but is huge.

Some guys I work with have the Iphone 6+ that they love. To me, the things are huge, but they love them because they work and they do not need to wear glasses to read the screen.

I think it is not an easy call. The phones are all good but different. You should try the different phones and go with what you like.

DRZRM
02-13-2015, 09:07 PM
The Sony Xperia Z3 (or Z3 Compact if you don't want too big a phone) is a bit of a sleeper, not a huge market share in the US. Great phone if Android is up for consideration. It has great battery life (not quite two days, but generally a day and a half easily), huge camera with good lenses (20 mb), and waterproof. Dropped mine in shallow water taking pics of my kids, and it was totally fine. My wife uses a new I-Phone, and we both use Macs, but I prefer Androids, and look forward to the Lollipop 5.0 upgrade.

p nut
02-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Happy iPhone 6+ user. Battery life is incredible. Day and a half charge cycle for me. Solid 10 hrs of usage with 2 days of standby.

notsew
02-13-2015, 09:58 PM
I think the Android/iPhone comparison is a wash. I have all Android (phone, tablet, tv), but I'm not a partisan. iPhone if you want simple and consistent (or a great camera) and Android if you want options and like to tinker. I think both work great.

I just bought a Windows tablet for work, and I don't think it as nice in that format as my Android stuff (i.e., for a less than full computer application).

I doubt you would regret the iPhone.

Llewellyn
02-14-2015, 02:03 AM
For a whole variety of reasons I wouldn't buy an Apple product if my life depended on it.

picstloup
02-14-2015, 02:24 AM
I don't use my cell phone a lot. I don't need a monthly plan. I like buying my own phones and using whatever company I want. I use my internet service provider sim card here in europe. I was able to use t-mobile sim card recently with my phone in the US. (Was not happy with t-mobile coverage, will probably try at&t or verizon next time but that's a different story).

But because I'm not on a plan I'd have to pay big bucks for an apple phone. It would make sense compatibility wise since I use apple computers, but dang they are expensive.

I picked up a Motorola moto g 4g lte a few months ago. Yes, android kit kat. So far I think it's a good phone and cost me about 150 euros after rebate in France. It was 180 euros full price. It's fast. Seems to handle apps well. The camera is just ok, but since I always have a good camera with me it doesn't matter to me.

If I used my phone a lot for work, had a plan and could get one for little money I'd probably have an apple phone. My sister has one, a 6 model, and it's nice.

that's my story.

victoryfactory
02-14-2015, 05:11 AM
The smart phone is a modern miracle. ( iphone 6 in my case)
I read books
Store .pdfs
identify birds
fugues out which subway lines are delayed
get very accurate gps and driving directions
make travel reservations
have a full set of USGS maps for hiking and back country travel
take and share photos
text
take care of multiple email accounts
Visit Paceline
listen to music
calculator
read the news
library of knowledge
it tells me how many light years are in a parsec
finds restaurants hotels and shopping when I travel
I can download the manual for whichever piece of equipment I'm currently fiddling with
For me it's an indispensable tool.
Yes, iTunes is a non intuitive pos which is mainly a platform for
purchasing content from Apple. But with the cloud you can take advantage
of the few things you really need: backups, software and hardware upgrades etc.

Based on what I hear from friends, android does much the same stuff.
Bottom line:
A modern smartphone, to me, is a major life enhancement. It only becomes
a problem if you let it.
Turn it off when you are not using it!
Your messages and calls will still be there.
VF

Schmed
02-14-2015, 08:19 AM
iPhone 6. Nancy's use windows stuff and clinchers.

iPhone 6 here and clinchers :p

iPhone - rock solid OS, fast and smooth, zero issues. Both hardware and software. I don't get the apple haters.

1happygirl
02-14-2015, 08:42 AM
OT:Should I Join the Cult? Windows Phone User to I-Phone

Yes.

Tony T
02-14-2015, 11:00 AM

This thread reminded me of one of my favorite Steve Balmer quotes:

“Five hundred dollars? Fully subsidized? With a plan?” Ballmer chuckles in the way that only Ballmer chuckles. “That is the most expensive phone in the world. And it doesn’t appeal to business customers because it doesn’t have a keyboard, which makes it not a very good email machine.” — S.Balmer

See the video here (http://www.wired.com/2014/09/tech-time-warp-of-the-week-watch-steve-ballmer-laugh-at-the-original-iphone/).

oldpotatoe
02-14-2015, 11:02 AM
For a whole variety of reasons I wouldn't buy an Apple product if my life depended on it.

cuz ya gotta hold it upside down...down there.

I would rather not have a phone than do anything non-apple.

ymmv.

csm
02-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Went from 3 or 4 droids to an iPhone 6. Can't imagine ever going back to droid much less over to a windows phone.
I've been an iPad user for awhile and will switch to a MacBook soon enough.
Bit I'm not a fan boi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

93legendti
02-14-2015, 04:17 PM
When Iphone 6 used prices come down, I will buy one.

kramnnim
02-14-2015, 05:25 PM
...it seems I will soon the the only forumite using a Windows Phone. :(

malbecman
02-14-2015, 05:51 PM
12 teenage kids playing D&D at our house right now, I just took a quick poll. It was split down the middle with 6 iPhones and 6 Android phones. No Windows phones.

I just saw yesterday that the US Govt will now accept Apple Pay for certain transactions (Natl Parks, for instance). I think that stamp of legitamincy will really help them grow.

(Disclosure: I have an iPad, Macbook and iMac but Droid phone...I may switch now that the 6 is out and so popular).

KF9YR
02-14-2015, 06:56 PM
I have the ip 6+. Big screen that I can read without glasses.

My son has the htc m8. He likes it but his voice is often unintelligible when he calls me. Since he is seventeen and texts almost exclusively it must not be a big deal to him. I'm not sure if the lousy phone quality is because of the ms operating system but my phone works great from the same locations.

My brother and nephews use android and love it but I don't like the sound quality of their phone calls

4Rings6Stars
02-14-2015, 07:59 PM
My wife and I have exclusively had Iphones for the last 5 years.

They are clean, intuitive, simple and they work. Almost always. And when they don't, Apple support is phenomenal. I have never had an iphone fail on me, even after submerging three of them in water. I have watched my brother and sister go through various android phones and they are always falling apart after 6-12 months. Speakers / mic fail, system crashes, slows way down, etc. Never had a SINGLE issue with any of our iphones that Apple didn't fix for free (charger port stopped working on my 4, Apple replaced with a new phone gratis). I have only upgraded to the newer models take advantage of the new tech / bigger size. We still have several 2-4 year old iphones in the drawer that are 100% functional.

My android friends seem to always be trading upgrades with family members or trying to buy used phones because their phones have failed before they are eligible for an upgrade.

(Nobody I know uses a Windows phone. I'm not sure I have every actually seen one in the flesh...)

fuzzalow
02-15-2015, 07:10 AM

If you are up to it, I'd be interested to know some of the thought process behind this one. Not because I'm an Apple fan-boi although I and my family are Apple users. I am of the age where being tethered to a Blackberry device as part of corporate life has taken all the amusement out of the whiz-bang capability of the modern smart phone. However the risk exposure to BBRY has businesses implementing device-independence which will further drive iPhone numbers into the corporate sphere.

AAPL has earned its way as the most valuable company by making and inventing new markets. Something MSFT could only wish they knew how to do. I honestly think MSFT is one of the least creative companies to achieve the size they did, IMO catching the right tech wave at the right time perhaps with a equal share of their own insight as much as IBM's corporate myopia to gift MSFT its birthing endowment.

Balmer is an excellent corporate manager in all the droll plodding of the typical balance sheet CEO. A great quality for, say a integrated petroleum multinational like XON, but a death march for a tech company positioned not as infrastructure, as in microchips, but as user-facing for look, feel and utility. And in this arena Steve Jobs kicked their ass. Who coulda knew?

With size and dominance comes animosity so it is a natural outgrowth of AAPL's rise. Funny how the much vaunted "1984" commercial feels more apropos to the hegemonic AAPL of 2015 versus where they were and who they were up against in the 1990's.

Cicli
02-15-2015, 07:28 AM
^^^^^^^^^ I don't understand half of what you said. Do you talk in ticker symbols also? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oldpotatoe
02-15-2015, 07:30 AM

My kid got one for free, Verizon.

fuzzalow
02-15-2015, 07:33 AM
^^^^^^^^^ I don't understand half of what you said. Do you talk in ticker symbols also? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh please, stop the drama. It is a shorthand much like the teenage gush of "OMG". I chose the symbols as common household names that are recognized just by saying the symbol aloud. Exxon, Microsoft, Apple. Easy, huh?

Cicli
02-15-2015, 07:38 AM
Oh please, stop the drama. It is a shorthand much like the teenage gush of "OMG". I chose the symbols as common household names that are recognized just by saying the symbol aloud. Exxon, Microsoft, Apple. Easy, huh?

I actually had to look some of them up. I guess I can't hang with the cool kids.

Sorry cool guy. :confused: you were sending a message, not a text to a 16 year old girl.

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-15-2015, 07:41 AM

If you are up to it, I'd be interested to know some of the thought process behind this one. Not because I'm an Apple fan-BOY although I and my family are Apple users. I am of the age where being tethered to a Blackberry device as part of corporate life has taken all the amusement out of the whiz-bang capability of the modern smart phone. However the risk exposure to BLACKBERRY has businesses implementing device-independence which will further drive iPhone numbers into the corporate sphere.

APPLE has earned its way as the most valuable company by making and inventing new markets. Something MICROSOFT could only wish they knew how to do. I honestly think MICROSOFT is one of the least creative companies to achieve the size they did, IN MY OPINION catching the right tech wave at the right time perhaps with a equal share of their own insight as much as IBM's corporate myopia to gift MICROSFT its birthing endowment.

Balmer is an excellent corporate manager in all the droll plodding of the typical balance sheet CEO. A great quality for, say a integrated petroleum multinational like EXXON, but a death march for a tech company positioned not as infrastructure, as in microchips, but as user-facing for look, feel and utility. And in this arena Steve Jobs kicked their ass. Who coulda knew?

With size and dominance comes animosity so it is a natural outgrowth of APPLE's rise. Funny how the much vaunted "1984" commercial feels more apropos to the hegemonic APPLE of 2015 versus where they were and who they were up against in the 1990's.

Better? Doubt a 16 yr old girl knows what myopia, XON or Exxon is.

fuzzalow
02-15-2015, 07:45 AM
I actually had to look some of them up. I guess I can't hang with the cool kids.

Sorry cool guy. :confused: you were sending a message, not a text to a 16 year old girl.

Too bad you feel that way. I'll meet you halfway in things discussed here if you feel you are up to it.

Try not to feel singled out as that is not my intention. Also try to appear as less entitled so that somehow what is discussed doesn't need to come down to a level specifically for you. Capish?

Cicli
02-15-2015, 07:46 AM
If you are up to it, I'd be interested to know some of the thought process behind this one. Not because I'm an Apple fan-BOY although I and my family are Apple users. I am of the age where being tethered to a Blackberry device as part of corporate life has taken all the amusement out of the whiz-bang capability of the modern smart phone. However the risk exposure to BLACKBERRY has businesses implementing device-independence which will further drive iPhone numbers into the corporate sphere.

APPLE has earned its way as the most valuable company by making and inventing new markets. Something MICROSOFT could only wish they knew how to do. I honestly think MICROSOFT is one of the least creative companies to achieve the size they did, IN MY OPINION catching the right tech wave at the right time perhaps with a equal share of their own insight as much as IBM's corporate myopia to gift MICROSFT its birthing endowment.

Balmer is an excellent corporate manager in all the droll plodding of the typical balance sheet CEO. A great quality for, say a integrated petroleum multinational like EXXON, but a death march for a tech company positioned not as infrastructure, as in microchips, but as user-facing for look, feel and utility. And in this arena Steve Jobs kicked their ass. Who coulda knew?

With size and dominance comes animosity so it is a natural outgrowth of APPLE's rise. Funny how the much vaunted "1984" commercial feels more apropos to the hegemonic APPLE of 2015 versus where they were and who they were up against in the 1990's.

Better?

Like I said. I had to look them up, like most the acronyms people use now days. How the hell would a normal guy know what the ticker for Exxon is? Why would I care?
Not trying to be difficult but a lot of people don't talk in code. Or at least I don't think they did.

I will bow out of this conversation now. Sorry to derail.

fuzzalow
02-15-2015, 07:57 AM
I guess I can't hang with the cool kids.

Sorry cool guy. :confused:

No, of course you certainly can hang...I dunno what this "cool kids" thing refers to but you say those words and I think you're talkin' about the pretense ATH.

Cool guy me, no way - it ain't me babe, says so next to my name in this forum.

P.S. Added

Like I said. I had to look them up, like most the acronyms people use now days. How the hell would a normal guy know what the ticker for Exxon is? Why would I care?
Not trying to be difficult but a lot of people don't talk in code. Or at least I don't think they did.

I will bow out of this conversation now. Sorry to derail.

I initially felt bad because it is not my intention to be obscure. But I looked at the posting again and it isn't in the least bit obscure.

The companies Apple and Blackberry are written in longhand first before subsequent references to them are made by stock symbol as shorthand. This entire thread is on the topic of Apple & Microsoft so the reference to MSFT should have been obvious. I presaged the use of XON by the moniker of it being a integrated petroleum multinational.

I don't wanna feel like there can't be normal conversation here. Just read it, go with the train of thought, it's all folderol on a web forum.

It can't be that it's coming down to this, can it? Mebbe for some folks this is speed up. I don't think I should hafta slow it down 'cos there's nothin' to be had by doing that. I'll meet you halfway if you're willing. If you're not, the don't read my posts 'cos there's no longer discourse between peers and I'm not interested in pontificating.

rockdude
02-15-2015, 08:07 AM
love the Windows format phones but hate the android format. Just wish we had more Phone options for the Windows formats.

CunegoFan
02-15-2015, 08:39 AM
I honestly think MSFT is one of the least creative companies to achieve the size they did, IMO catching the right tech wave at the right time perhaps with a equal share of their own insight as much as IBM's corporate myopia to gift MSFT its birthing endowment.

Getting a sweetheart deal is a lot easier when your mom and the IBM decision maker serve on the same board of directors. Without the OS monopoly, MSFT's products would have had to stand on their own merits instead of being supported by the OS cash cow until they were finally usable around version 3. No other tech companies had that luxury.

93legendti
02-15-2015, 08:56 AM
My kid got one for free, Verizon.

Unless he/she works for verizon or it was some kind of reward, your kid is probably paying at least $45 for a single line and $27.08/month x 24 months for that free phone ...verizon edge program.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/single-line-data-plan/
http://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/iphone-6/#

oldpotatoe
02-15-2015, 09:17 AM
Unless he/she works for verizon or it was some kind of reward, your kid is probably paying at least $45 for a single line and $27.08/month x 24 months for that free phone ...verizon edge program.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/single-line-data-plan/
http://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/iphone-6/#

You said you'd get a iPhone 6 when the price came down. My kid's iPhone 6 was free. Does he pay for a program? Of course. Is it free? No, is yours?

93legendti
02-15-2015, 09:24 AM
You said you'd get a iPhone 6 when the price came down. My kid's iPhone 6 was free. Does he pay for a program? Of course. Is it free? No, is yours?
I buy used from eBay.

Ok, tell him to enjoy his "free" phone. ;) ...one lucky guy. Maybe he got a free lunch as well? :)

$27.08 x 24 months isn't free in my book....$649.92 total...

oldpotatoe
02-15-2015, 09:31 AM
I buy used from eBay.

Ok, tell him to enjoy his "free" phone. ;) ...one lucky guy. Maybe he got a free lunch as well? :)

$27.08 x 24 months isn't free in my book....$649.92 total...

Let me know which service is free with your eBay phone please?

93legendti
02-15-2015, 09:38 AM
Let me know which service is free with your eBay phone please?

You said free phone, now you're talking free service. Those are 2 different things.

Phone companies charge for mobile/data and, if you buy from them, for financing phones.

Sorry your definition of "free" is different than mine.

I bought my Note 3 from eBay for $300. I pay $25 for my data/mobile line on tmobile (4 lines @ $100/month).

IF I had bought the phone new from tmobile I would be paying AN ADDITIONAL ~$30/month for 24 months to FINANCE a "FREE" phone, instead of only $300.

Tony T
02-15-2015, 10:00 AM
You said you'd get a iPhone 6 when the price came down. My kid's iPhone 6 was free.
Does he pay for a program? Of course. Is it free? No, is yours?

Where did your kid get an iPhone6 for free?
(or was it free to your kid because you gave it to him :))

saab2000
02-15-2015, 10:14 AM
Since everyone has an opinion on the phones I'd like to hear a constructive discussion of various service plans. I'd like to pay less than I do for my Verizon plan. I'm a single guy and so don't/can't do a family or group plan. But I wouldn't mind saving some money.

Most of the lesser plans seem to have significant negatives but I've heard some good things about T-Mobile and I really like how they've tried to entice people with international texting and calling over the internet, though that is possible with a wi-fi connection and FaceTime Audio, at least iPhone to iPhone.

I pay about $87/month and cutting that by $25+ would be nice if I could.

93legendti
02-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Since everyone has an opinion on the phones I'd like to hear a constructive discussion of various service plans. I'd like to pay less than I do for my Verizon plan. I'm a single guy and so don't/can't do a family or group plan. But I wouldn't mind saving some money.

Most of the lesser plans seem to have significant negatives but I've heard some good things about T-Mobile and I really like how they've tried to entice people with international texting and calling over the internet, though that is possible with a wi-fi connection and FaceTime Audio, at least iPhone to iPhone.

I love TMobile, except ZERO coverage north of West Branch...got 3G for 3 weeks in Israel...great for surfing and map quest...FREE.

Not sure about coverage on the west side of Michigan...are you still in Mi?

First issue is coverage for your areas...there was an article recently on best plans...I will see if I can find it

Here's one: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/iphone-6-plans-compared-at-t-verizon-sprint-and-97601904249.html

saab2000
02-15-2015, 10:41 AM
I love TMobile, except ZERO coverage north of West Branch...got 3G for 3 weeks in Israel...great for surfing and map quest...FREE.

Not sure about coverage on the west side of Michigan...are you still in Mi?

First issue is coverage for your areas...there was an article recently on best plans...I will see if I can find it

Here's one: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/iphone-6-plans-compared-at-t-verizon-sprint-and-97601904249.html

Sadly, I no longer live in MI. I miss the riding and the rest of the place grew on me too. I moved to Virginia Beach to be closer to work.

In the end I'll probably stay with Verizon. It's a rare day that I don't have good coverage and when I'm overseas I just use Wi-Fi for a few things.

But they are a bit of a premium company and charge more than the others. T-Mobile is the only one I'd likely switch to.

As to MI, I moved there in 2007 on a bit of an experiment. Grand Rapids grew on me and the cycling is really quite good. And I loved the summers with the long days! Daylight until 10 PM. I can't pretend I miss the winters but it's not like I'm frolicking on the beach in Virginia Beach either. It's supposed to be windy and cold all week. I'd rather have the snow of MI than the wind and sleet of the east coast. At least then I could do winter sports.

I can see myself going back one day if the work situation is different.

93legendti
02-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Sadly, I no longer live in MI. I miss the riding and the rest of the place grew on me too. I moved to Virginia Beach to be closer to work.

In the end I'll probably stay with Verizon. It's a rare day that I don't have good coverage and when I'm overseas I just use Wi-Fi for a few things.

But they are a bit of a premium company and charge more than the others. T-Mobile is the only one I'd likely switch to.

As to MI, I moved there in 2007 on a bit of an experiment. Grand Rapids grew on me and the cycling is really quite good. And I loved the summers with the long days! Daylight until 10 PM. I can't pretend I miss the winters but it's not like I'm frolicking on the beach in Virginia Beach either. It's supposed to be windy and cold all week. I'd rather have the snow of MI than the wind and sleet of the east coast. At least then I could do winter sports.

I can see myself going back one day if the work situation is different.
I try explaining those "long" summer nights to people and they can't fathom being able to ride outside till 9:30 without lights...when we would go up north for July 4th the fireworks couldn't start till 10:30pm...too light!

Definitely a nice state, lots of variety, a little sleepy at times...

Today is pretty bad though...-11 fahrenheit!

kramnnim
02-15-2015, 10:52 AM
I'd also like to switch from VZW, but coverage is the issue...

"How to save money" guy on the radio talks about cell phone plans almost daily, here is his somewhat up to date summary... http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/technology/smartphone-guide/nbWF4/

Oh, VZW did announce some kind of $10 price cut, but you have to request it to get it.

Tony T
02-15-2015, 10:57 AM

Call your provider and ask to speak to a customer retention rep.
Let them know that you are looking at other providers and ask if they can do something to reduce your monthly bill.

93legendti
02-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Let them know that you are looking at other providers and ask if they can do something to reduce your monthly bill.

Great advice.

saab2000
02-15-2015, 11:00 AM
I try explaining those "long" summer nights to people and they can't fathom being able to ride outside till 9:30 without lights...when we would go up north for July 4th the fireworks couldn't start till 10:30pm...too light!

Definitely a nice state, lots of variety, a little sleepy at times...

Today is pretty bad though...-11 fahrenheit!

I hear ya. I don't mind the sleepy nature of the midwest. Not at all. My life in flying is anything but sleepy so a slower pace of the midwest is to my liking.

I always get a kick out of it when I tell people I grew up in WI, went to college and MN and lived in MI and everyone assumes it snows all the time and never gets above about 50º. Most people not from the midwest seem to think there are caribou and polar bears walking around and that the snow never leaves. MI is not really not that much better where I currently live in terms of weather. I remind people that the lakes have a warming effect in the winter and a cooling effect in the summer. They don't believe me.... :D

And yeah, the long days from May-August are awesome! Not so long you disrupt your sleep, but long enough to be great at 9 PM. You're right about finishing rides at 9PM or even later without lights.

oldpotatoe
02-15-2015, 11:40 AM
You said free phone, now you're talking free service. Those are 2 different things.

Phone companies charge for mobile/data and, if you buy from them, for financing phones.

Sorry your definition of "free" is different than mine.

I bought my Note 3 from eBay for $300. I pay $25 for my data/mobile line on tmobile (4 lines @ $100/month).

IF I had bought the phone new from tmobile I would be paying AN ADDITIONAL ~$30/month for 24 months to FINANCE a "FREE" phone, instead of only $300.

Geez I'm worn out.

oldpotatoe
02-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Where did your kid get an iPhone6 for free?
(or was it free to your kid because you gave it to him :))

Some local Verizon place, redid his contract, got a iPhone 6...I'll ask.

But ya know, not really 'free' I hear.

saab2000
02-15-2015, 12:04 PM

No offense, but nothing is ever free! Someone is paying for that 'free' phone and it's likely the end user in one fashion or another.

These are, after all, for-profit companies. Apple is, by some measure, the most successful company ever. Verizon isn't hurting either.

93legendti
02-15-2015, 12:11 PM
The "free" is most likely zero money down

Tony T
02-15-2015, 12:27 PM

Another way to look at this is someone going to a LBS and leaving with a bike, on the condition that he pay $100/mo for 3 years (including a free tune-up each year for that period).

Used to be (with the old flip-phones) that the phone was free if you signed a 2 year contract, but with the more expensive smart phones, they're now saying you pay $0 down for the phone (the cost of the phone is about $200).

Here's an example of what Sprint does:

pjmsj21
02-15-2015, 03:12 PM
OP here.......posting this message on my new iPhone 6plus......it looks as if I have joined the cult......but so far so good.

Tony T
02-15-2015, 03:23 PM
You should take a look at the MacBook Air next :)

fuzzalow
02-15-2015, 05:19 PM
Getting a sweetheart deal is a lot easier when your mom and the IBM decision maker serve on the same board of directors. Without the OS monopoly, MSFT's products would have had to stand on their own merits instead of being supported by the OS cash cow until they were finally usable around version 3. No other tech companies had that luxury.

Yow, I dunno where you get this stuff but I'm not sure there's any truth to it.

Bill Gates and Paul Allen (owner of Seattle Seahawks now, then 1/2 of the actual brains of the yet-to-be company Microsoft) weren't even a pimple to the ruling elite in Armonk during that time. Gates/Allen weren't even in Seattle, it was still a quonset hut in Arizona someplace.

This conspiracy stuff gives credit and foresight to things that few could possibly foretell. If only the world were so easily manipulated. You throw rubbish like this out there unattributed it just makes it bad for credibility.

CunegoFan
02-15-2015, 05:58 PM

Bill Gates and Paul Allen (owner of Seattle Seahawks now, then 1/2 of the actual brains of the yet-to-be company Microsoft) weren't even a pimple to the ruling elite in Armonk during that time. Gates/Allen weren't even in Seattle, it was still a quonset hut in Arizona someplace.

This conspiracy stuff gives credit and foresight to things that few could possibly foretell. If only the world were so easily manipulated. You throw rubbish like this out there unattributed it just makes it bad for credibility.

What exactly are you objecting to? That Mary Gates, Bill Gates' mother, was on the national board of the United Way? That John R. Opel, CEO of IBM, was also on the board of the United Way? That Opel influenced IBM executives into making a deal with Microsoft, telling to them that MSFT was Mary Gates' son's company? That the deal was extremely favorable to MSFT in that it allowed it to sell MSDOS to others? That the OS formed a cash cow that allowed MSFT to keep dumping money into shoddy products until those products were finally up to snuff? That other software firms did not have that luxury?

I am sure all the other pimples to the ruling elite all had mothers who were chums with the CEO.

93legendti
02-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Mary Gates, 64; Helped Her Son Start Microsoft
Published: June 11, 1994
SEATTLE, June 10— Mary Gates, a prominent Seattle businesswoman who helped her son, William H. Gates 3d, get the contract that led to a lucrative relationship with I.B.M. for his fledgling Microsoft Corporation, died at her home early today. She was 64....
Her tenure on the national board's executive committee is believed to have helped Microsoft, based in Seattle, at a crucial time. In 1980, she discussed with John R. Opel, a fellow committee member who was the chairman of the International Business Machines Corporation, the business that I.B.M. was doing with Microsoft.

Mr. Opel, by some accounts, mentioned Mrs. Gates to other I.B.M. executives. A few weeks later, I.B.M. took a chance by hiring Microsoft, then a small software firm, to develop an operating system for its first personal computer.

The success of the I.B.M. P C gave Microsoft and its MS-DOS (for Microsoft Disk Operating System) a lift that eventually made it the world's largest software company for personal computers. Sales now exceed $3 billion....

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/11/obituaries/mary-gates-64-helped-her-son-start-microsoft.html

Tony T
02-15-2015, 06:20 PM

Microsoft only exists today because of that IBM deal (http://thisdayintechhistory.com/11/06/ibm-signs-a-deal-with-the-devil/).

I never understood why IBM would use Micro Soft (original spelling) for a PC OS when Micro Soft only had a BASIC interpreter to sell. As you said, Micro Soft wasn't even a pimple. To have an OS to sell to IBM, Micro Soft had to buy QDOS from Seattle Computer Products (btw, QDOS stands for Quick and Dirty Operating System)

If Gary Kildall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Kildall) (of Digital Research) had made the deal with IBM (referred by Gates), Micro Soft would not be where they are today (and we would not have suffered with Microsoft products ;))

For a good read about that time, see:
Accidental Empires: How the Boys of Silicon Valley Make Their Millions, Battle Foreign Competition, and Still Can't Get a Date (http://www.amazon.com/Accidental-Empires-Silicon-Millions-Competition/dp/0887308554/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424046255&sr=1-1&keywords=triumph+of+the+nerds)
(also see the PBS series Triumph of the Nerds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_of_the_Nerds) which was based on this book)

fuzzalow
02-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Gentlemen, the corrections, elaborations and implied conspiracies about Mary Gates influence on John Opel are amusing and speculative. There is no denying the extent IBM screwed up in giving away licensing rights in the way that they did. That is common knowledge. Why that happened is a construct of history and it is there that it involves the complexities of everything happening and having it all go right. I just don't attribute solely why that happened as the result of Mary & John singularly manipulating the levers of global industry - too much other stuff had to go right also.

But if you catch the wave at the right time and right place, you can succeed in spite of yourself. In fairness, the MSFT guys were better than most. Guys like Mitch Kapor ran Lotus123 into the ground. Lots of software companies couldn't make hay for any longer than a fortnight.

I can go with the tone & the way Tony T presents what happened with MSFT - it is easy to look back with hindsight to see how valuable the PC desktop was to become but it wasn't obvious in the days of a TRS-80.

I read many of the books about the PC revolution, some a long time ago so I'm not gonna nitpick on facts. But the facts as I remember them don't support a conspiracy. And I'm just not a conspiracy kinda guy. So don't get all incredulous at me like it is obvious and incontrovertible that Mary & John knew what was coming and decreed that young master Billy was the one to get it. None of you were in the room with Mary & John. To know anything is only speculation. My goodness, if you were John Opel and knew what was to come you'd have gloomed some of that for yourself.

rounder
02-15-2015, 07:42 PM

I would like to pay less for my plan too. It costs about $150 per month for a family plan for wife and me. We get three gb for internet service. It seems like a lot for monthly service, but have never had a problem. But, most people I talk to do not love their plans. I travel a lot and like reliable service. That is why I stay with Verizon.

93legendti
02-15-2015, 07:47 PM
I would like to pay less for my plan too. It costs about $150 per month for a family plan for wife and me. We get three gb for internet service. It seems like a lot for monthly service, but have never had a problem. But, most people I talk to do not love their plans. I travel a lot and like reliable service. That is why I stay with Verizon.

Does that $150 include payments for phones?

Our TMobile Simple Plan is 4 lines, 2.5 gb each, with 2g speeds after 2.5gb are used up. $100/month, not including the iPhones my wife and daughter are paying for. But coverage can be the issue. I had great coverage in Florida and overseas, as well as locally, just not in a northern Michigan...

Tony T
02-15-2015, 07:49 PM
Gentlemen, the corrections, elaborations and implied conspiracies about Mary Gates influence on John Opel are amusing and speculative.

I didn't know about this connection, but it's hardly a conspiracy for a mother to refer a fellow board member to her 25 year-old sons fledging company. It now makes sense to me how IBM began a relationship with Gates for his BASIC interpreter. Nothing really out of line with this.

IBM did not foresee that the PC would become what it would in the following years. And it was Mitch Kapor's VisiCalc and then Lotus 123, (the "Killer App") that fueled the growth of the Business PC. The PC would not have taken off as quickly with only BASIC, and leaving the programming to the user. You had to be a user of spreadsheets (with pencil and calculator) to realize the importance of Lotus 123.

IBM needed an OS within a year for their hardware. This self-imposed deadline is what caused them to rush into a deal with Micro Soft (to Gates' benefit, and our detriment ;))

fuzzalow
02-15-2015, 08:10 PM
I didn't know about this connection, but it's hardly a conspiracy for a mother to refer a fellow board member to her 25 year-old sons fledging company. It now makes sense to me how IBM began a relationship with Gates for his BASIC interpreter. Nothing really out of line with this.
I agree.

A referral, a heads up, even asking for a a favorable mention to the right people is not a conspiracy. But I don't think something as innocuous as that is being suggested by some of the posts about Mary and John.

No doubt it helps to get the right connections. No doubt it helps to have friends in high places. But through all the layers and bureaucracy of IBM there is not much possibility for John Opel to order all the fiefdoms and careerists to gift MS-DOS to Billy 3rd. IBM's classic excuse was that as a big iron computer hardware provider they did not understand or see the worth of personal computing. And so mistakes are made based on their valuation from their concept of reality.

No different than all the PC desktop technology companies that have missed the boat on mobile computing via the smart phone.

Nobody knows what coming next when the goal of every player is to have or invent disruptive technologies. So much for the conspiracy theorists, huh?

unterhausen
02-15-2015, 08:15 PM
even before the smartphone and tablets blew up the desktop market, I was wondering how Mr. Softy was going to survive (how about that for a cool kid reference to Microsoft, huh?). I still expect them to be the next IBM, i.e. a hollowed-out shell of their peak.

My daughter has a windows phone, now she wants an iPhone. Get a job, kid

Tony T
02-15-2015, 08:35 PM
No different than all the PC desktop technology companies that have missed the boat on mobile computing via the smart phone.

And lets not forget that MicroSoft almost missed the boat on the Internet with a late start (http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/07/internet-tidal-wave.html) in 1995

Tony T
02-15-2015, 08:40 PM
My daughter has a windows phone, now she wants an iPhone.

Smart kid :)

rounder
02-15-2015, 09:16 PM

Our TMobile Simple Plan is 4 lines, 2.5 gb each, with 2g speeds after 2.5gb are used up. $100/month, not including the iPhones my wife and daughter are paying for. But coverage can be the issue. I had great coverage in Florida and overseas, as well as locally, just not in a northern Michigan...

No does not include phones. The phones are extra. Forget how much, but they are relatively cheap compared to the monthly bill. All in all, the plan is expensive. To me, the whole plan is expensive but worth it to be connected while I work. After retirement, whenever that is, I would go with a cheaper pan.

93legendti
02-15-2015, 09:26 PM
No does not include phones. The phones are extra. Forget how much, but they are relatively cheap compared to the monthly bill. All in all, the plan is expensive. To me, the whole plan is expensive but worth it to be connected while I work. After retirement, whenever that is, I would go with a cheaper pan.

I'd call up customer loyalty and quote the TMobile Simple plan and see what they will do to keep you.

Mobile cos are very sensitive now about customers. I had a problem with my data line and after they fixed it, they gave me $25 off my bill and free data on my 2 data lines for the year...

Louis
02-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Because I have to maintain my reputation as a contrarian I'll toss in my $0.02 worth, even though it isn't at all what the OP was looking for:

What is this "cell" phone device of which you speak?

I'm perfectly happy with mine. (see below)

More seriously, only once or twice a year do I ever feel that it would be convenient to have a non land line phone or a smart phone. I refuse to live permanently tethered to or controlled by electronic gizmos. I have a wireless phone at home and it's nice to be able to use that around the house, but that's the extent of my mobile-ness. I'm perfectly happy walking around work, airports, and life in general, not having my head down staring at a screen and tapping out messages with my thumbs. YMMV.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtA2FaEL8Ia9nLGgc8xe82SNUbJ7MjK Kvgf1G2Y5Y5jxUZwbAT

Llewellyn
02-16-2015, 05:01 AM
Because I have to maintain my reputation as a contrarian I'll toss in my $0.02 worth, even though it isn't at all what the OP was looking for:

What is this "cell" phone device of which you speak?

I'm perfectly happy with mine. (see below)

More seriously, only once or twice a year do I ever feel that it would be convenient to have a non land line phone or a smart phone. I refuse to live permanently tethered to or controlled by electronic gizmos. I have a wireless phone at home and it's nice to be able to use that around the house, but that's the extent of my mobile-ness. I'm perfectly happy walking around work, airports, and life in general, not having my head down staring at a screen and tapping out messages with my thumbs. YMMV.

I hear you Louis. It always amazes me wherever you go people are glued to their phones - restaurants, walking on the street, anywhere. My wife and I were in a restaurant once and a group of 6 people came in and sat down. Within 30 seconds five of them had their phones out and were either texting or looking at the screens......···. They barely spoke a word to each other.

victoryfactory
02-16-2015, 06:44 AM

Saab2000:

What TonyT said. They will offer you a new lower priced plan. In my case
as I was switching from another carrier they even gave me a $150. credit

All the phone companies are competing like mad right now. The price will
mostly be based on the amount of data you need.
First step is to call Verizon and ask them to check your data usage per month.
Then you will know how many gigs you need. For general surfing and not too much streaming you can get by with 1-3 gigs.
Verizon (and T-mobile and ATT) has individual plans ~$60. per month
If you are eligible for an upgrade (had your current phone for 2 years in most cases) You can "purchase" an iphone 6 for ~$199. with a 2 year commitment.
The other two will happily give you the same or better deals if you switch.

Note:
The Verizon "Edge" deal is a ripoff IMO. What they are doing is offering a no
money down no interest deal to purchase the phone over 24 months
AT THE TOTAL RETAIL PRICE of over $700. (~$25./month payments)
This is for people who don't have the cash to pay $199. up front and don't want to be locked in to a plan for 2 years. The "Edge" deal comes with no
locked in plan but if you leave, they will charge you the remainder owed on the phone if you want to keep it.

My bottom line:
The best deals can be had if you are switching carriers
Your current carrier will offer you a new deal to keep you if you are eligible.
Insist on an individual plan.
Remember that the sales people at phone stores (and on the phone ) are just that. Salespeople.
They can be bargained with. They will sell you stuff you don't need or want if you don't pay attention. (Think Car salesmen)
They will magically pull a better deal out of their hats if you say the secret words, like switch, cancel, etc.
Stay away from the "edge"

VF

93legendti
02-16-2015, 08:32 AM
If you want a new unlocked phone with killer specs:

https://oneplus.net/one

Outright purchase $299, 16gb

oldpotatoe
02-16-2015, 09:04 AM
And I didn't even bad-mouth Apple.

iphone 5c, about 2 years and the date/time has stopped working/updating(?).

yes checked settings(Auto-Denver), tried Syncing it-no soap, then backed it up and restored it-works fine except....it's 3:15 in the afternoon yesterday, according to my phone. Go see a 'genuis' today at 1:00.

Maybe I'll upgrade to a 6??

staggerwing
02-16-2015, 10:19 AM

Our family has been quite happy with TMobile too. We're running 6 total lines, with 2.5GB data, including the MIL, for a total of $120/month + taxes, and some mandatory fees that you would get at any carrier. Sadly, it is hard to get a great deal as a single user. In TMobile world, the current deal is $50 first user, $30 second user, and $10 for each user thereafter. They don't seem to mind if you buddy up, but there must be a single payer.

We have also been lucky, in that both of the local stores that we have dealt with, have always been very customer friendly, straightening out a couple of minor issues, and setting everything up properly. No issues on that front.

Always check they carrier that you are interested in has the coverage you need for your area. TMobile is getting quite a bit better, but not quite up to Verizon or even AT&T coverage. Make 100% certain the phone you are looking at has the proper 4G LTE radio for your region. Stop in at a local store, and talk to the support people. For instance, TMobile is pushing lower frequency 700MHz (band12) LTE, which will offer significantly better coverage and building penetration, but many current phones do not cover that band. My LG G2 does not, while my wife's Moto X 2104 does. If you are going TMobile, make certain you have a band 12 LTE radio in your phone.

A bit more info here:
http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/issues-insights-blog/uncarrier-8-blog.htm

And, if you wold like to see if TMobiles network, and an iPhone, work for you, take their free test drive. (fine print, yeah, you will have to secure the transaction with a CC number until they get their 5s back). See:
http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial

Scouts honor, I am in no way connected with TMobile.

CunegoFan
02-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Gentlemen, the corrections, elaborations and implied conspiracies about Mary Gates influence on John Opel are amusing and speculative. There is no denying the extent IBM screwed up in giving away licensing rights in the way that they did. That is common knowledge. Why that happened is a construct of history and it is there that it involves the complexities of everything happening and having it all go right. I just don't attribute solely why that happened as the result of Mary & John singularly manipulating the levers of global industry - too much other stuff had to go right also.

But if you catch the wave at the right time and right place, you can succeed in spite of yourself. In fairness, the MSFT guys were better than most. Guys like Mitch Kapor ran Lotus123 into the ground. Lots of software companies couldn't make hay for any longer than a fortnight.

I can go with the tone & the way Tony T presents what happened with MSFT - it is easy to look back with hindsight to see how valuable the PC desktop was to become but it wasn't obvious in the days of a TRS-80.

I read many of the books about the PC revolution, some a long time ago so I'm not gonna nitpick on facts. But the facts as I remember them don't support a conspiracy. And I'm just not a conspiracy kinda guy. So don't get all incredulous at me like it is obvious and incontrovertible that Mary & John knew what was coming and decreed that young master Billy was the one to get it. None of you were in the room with Mary & John. To know anything is only speculation. My goodness, if you were John Opel and knew what was to come you'd have gloomed some of that for yourself.

Who said anything about a conspiracy, you rude POS. It was a snarky comment referring to Gate's mother being friends with the CEO of the largest and most important company in the industry. You are the one who spun this into conspiracy territory with your construction of an array of strawmen.

slidey
02-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Well, since we're already spiraling into a MSFT bashing spree here's one of my favourite clips about one of their worst features-ever: Clippy

http://youtu.be/NxcmoLKVd60

fuzzalow
02-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Who said anything about a conspiracy, you rude POS. It was a snarky comment referring to Gate's mother being friends with the CEO of the largest and most important company in the industry. You are the one who spun this into conspiracy territory with your construction of an array of strawmen.

That was a most unfortunate response and I was sorry to read it - a reply reading all like a rash, hysterical overreaction coming from a little man.

Getting a sweetheart deal is a lot easier when your mom and the IBM decision maker serve on the same board of directors.

What exactly are you objecting to? That Mary Gates, Bill Gates' mother, was on the national board of the United Way? That John R. Opel, CEO of IBM, was also on the board of the United Way? That Opel influenced IBM executives into making a deal with Microsoft, telling to them that MSFT was Mary Gates' son's company?

I read and responded to what you wrote.

We will not speak together again. Be well. Your continued participation in this forum is unique and illuminating in the variety of ways I can watch you trip over your own feet as you are simultaneously pulling stuff out of your ass. The rest of the time appears occupied by your sphincter being firmly distended around your neck as indicative by your response to opposing views. Keep up the good work.

oldpotatoe
02-16-2015, 06:03 PM
And I didn't even bad-mouth Apple.

iphone 5c, about 2 years and the date/time has stopped working/updating(?).

yes checked settings(Auto-Denver), tried Syncing it-no soap, then backed it up and restored it-works fine except....it's 3:15 in the afternoon yesterday, according to my phone. Go see a 'genuis' today at 1:00.

Maybe I'll upgrade to a 6??

Done

paulh
02-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Done

Did you get it for "free"? 'cause Captain Obvious says nothing is free.

shovelhd
02-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Done

You'll like it. I've been having some problems with IOS 8 but that's not the hardware's problem.

93legendti
02-16-2015, 08:07 PM
Our family has been quite happy with TMobile too. We're running 6 total lines, with 2.5GB data, including the MIL, for a total of $120/month + taxes, and some mandatory fees that you would get at any carrier. Sadly, it is hard to get a great deal as a single user. In TMobile world, the current deal is $50 first user, $30 second user, and $10 for each user thereafter. They don't seem to mind if you buddy up, but there must be a single payer.

We have also been lucky, in that both of the local stores that we have dealt with, have always been very customer friendly, straightening out a couple of minor issues, and setting everything up properly. No issues on that front.

Always check they carrier that you are interested in has the coverage you need for your area. TMobile is getting quite a bit better, but not quite up to Verizon or even AT&T coverage. Make 100% certain the phone you are looking at has the proper 4G LTE radio for your region. Stop in at a local store, and talk to the support people. For instance, TMobile is pushing lower frequency 700MHz (band12) LTE, which will offer significantly better coverage and building penetration, but many current phones do not cover that band. My LG G2 does not, while my wife's Moto X 2104 does. If you are going TMobile, make certain you have a band 12 LTE radio in your phone.

A bit more info here:
http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/issues-insights-blog/uncarrier-8-blog.htm

And, if you wold like to see if TMobiles network, and an iPhone, work for you, take their free test drive. (fine print, yeah, you will have to secure the transaction with a CC number until they get their 5s back). See:
http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial

Scouts honor, I am in no way connected with TMobile.
Thanks for the tip. I just told my Mom and brother (who are also on TMobile) they should go on our bill for only $10/month each, since we have 4 lines already.

93legendti
02-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Done

Congrats. My daughter loves hers.

oldpotatoe
02-17-2015, 05:41 AM
Congrats. My daughter loves hers.

A little conversation with the tech guy at Apple store..Iphone 5S, same processor as Iphone 6/6+, Iphone 5C a rehashed 4, 5s new. These issues are not uncommon with 5C..He also said never get a plan with a 'free phone'(what the 5C still is), upgrade to a 5S or 6..

But it is keen, works, tells time..

Also talked to Verizon and modified our 2 person plan to more closely match what we need and use..so a LOT less data capacity. Saved about $40 per month.

They 'ought' to do this automatically, but only is what you buy is exceeded, never for paying for 4 gigs of data and using less than 1.

victoryfactory
02-17-2015, 06:00 AM
A little conversation with the tech guy at Apple store..Iphone 5S, same processor as Iphone 6/6+, Iphone 5C a rehashed 4, 5s new. These issues are not uncommon with 5C..He also said never get a plan with a 'free phone'(what the 5C still is), upgrade to a 5S or 6..

Also talked to Verizon and modified our 2 person plan to more closely match what we need and use..so a LOT less data capacity. Saved about $40 per month.

They 'ought' to do this automatically, but only is what you buy is exceeded, never for paying for 4 gigs of data and using less than 1.

Everyone should keep track of the data they use and see if they are overpaying.
Well done

93legendti
02-17-2015, 06:07 AM

$40/month less is huge. Well done. I guess the phone companies count on people on auto pilot. When we were on att, our bill changed every month...even though it was supposed to basically be a flat rate.

I love "new phone day".

oldpotatoe
02-17-2015, 06:08 AM
Everyone should keep track of the data they use and see if they are overpaying.
Well done

I think 'most' buy too much in a plan. Particularly us, who seldom do anything but call or text when not connected to WIFI. I don't hang out at the mall, streaming music videos and such(big data stream), with other 60 somethings. No games, etc.

sitzmark
02-17-2015, 07:21 AM

Surprised he said 5S and 6 are "same processor". Both are 64bit architecture with a co-processor, but the A8 chip has significantly improved technology over A7 chipset (5S) - 2 billion transistors vs 1 bil and 20nm construction. Reason for better battery performance and much faster graphics in 6.

Enjoy new phone .. not as "svelt" as 5 series, but noticeably improved performance. Thinness makes larger size less obvious, but still awkward for one-hand operation.

victoryfactory
02-17-2015, 08:43 AM
Enjoy new phone .. not as "svelt" as 5 series, but noticeably improved performance. Thinness makes larger size less obvious, but still awkward for one-hand operation.

In theory, maybe but after 3 months with the 6, I can't conceive of going back to a 5. It still fits in every pocket and I think the one hand "limitation" is way over rated. I have no problem with that issue.

VF

oldpotatoe
02-17-2015, 08:50 AM
In theory, maybe but after 3 months with the 6, I can't conceive of going back to a 5. It still fits in every pocket and I think the one hand "limitation" is way over rated. I have no problem with that issue.

VF

Do you have a case?

Tony T
02-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Surprised he said 5S and 6 are "same processor". Both are 64bit architecture with a co-processor, but the A8 chip has significantly improved technology over A7 chipset (5S) - 2 billion transistors vs 1 bil and 20nm construction. Reason for better battery performance and much faster graphics in 6..

I would have thought that the bigger 6 has a bigger battery than the 5, hence better battery performance.

sitzmark
02-17-2015, 09:22 AM

VF

Personal preference I guess. Put A8 architecture in 4 or 5 sized device and my wife and I would both trade in a heartbeat.

victoryfactory
02-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Do you have a case?

I always go with the smallest, cheapest rubbery clear case available so as not to lose the svelte aspect of the phone.

sitzmark
02-17-2015, 09:28 AM
I would have thought that the bigger 6 has a bigger battery than the 5, hence better battery performance.

6 battery is a couple hundred mA larger (than 5S) but larger screen uses more power, so more efficient processor nets out longer life.

victoryfactory
02-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Personal preference I guess. Put A8 architecture in 4 or 5 sized device and my wife and I would both trade in a heartbeat.

It's no problem for me or my girlfriend

93legendti
02-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Do you have a case?

Got my daughter a life proof case. Light and thin. 65% off helped (3point5).

eippo1
02-17-2015, 10:53 AM
I have an HTC One Windows phone and a Nexus 7 tablet. My wife has a Galaxy S4 phone and a Surface Pro 3 tablet. We're weird and we like it that way.

BTW, the newish One phone is pretty awesome. It has been pretty helpful with work as well. I take pics of whiteboards and slides all the time and convert them to pdf's. It also leaves most of the Nokia phones in the dust with the exception of the camera.

93legendti
02-20-2015, 06:20 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-rhinoshield-bumper-and-the-iphone-i-could-not-111444363399.html