PDA

View Full Version : In praise of the Ripley!

nmrt
02-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Wanted to share my experiences with all you guys who might be thinking about getting a full suspension mountain bike.

So, some of you may remember that I was in the market for a FS mountain bike in November 2014. Since then, I test rode the following mtbs:

Yeti SB5c (27.5),
Yeti SB95c (29er),
Yeti SB66c (26er)
Santa Cruz 5010 (27.5),
Santa Cruz Tallboy c (29er),
Specialized Stumpjumper evo FSR (27.5),
Specialized Enduro expert (29er),
Specialized Stumpjumper evo FSR (26er)
Cannondale Jeykll (27.5),
Trek Remedy 9.8 (27.5),
Trek Fuel ex 9.8 (27.5)
Pivot Mach 429c (29er)

My test drive included renting these mountain bikes and taking them on local trails for a day.

I ended up buying an Ibis Ripley! I have slowly been building it up since January and today was the second time I took it for a spin on the gnarliest trails around. I live in the CO front range so many trials here are pretty rocky.

All I have to say is that this bike gives me exactly what I was looking for -- a 29er that most closely matches the handling of a 26er with about 140 mm of front travel. The Ripley really feels blithe. It is easy to corner, aggressive on the downhills and eager to pedal uphill over large and small rocks with nary a useless suspension bob. I attribute the cushy ride to the wonderful DW link and the aggressiveness to the steep HT angle. I rode many of the bikes above on the same trails I rode the Ripley and I feel that this bike inspires just so much of confidence. I can charge into corners and whip the bike (almost) like a 26er. The beauty of the DW link makes the bike stick to the trails and I lose no traction.

I could go on and on. I am smitten. Sorry, if to some I come across as a fanboy but this is my first FS bike that I have owned having sworn off them after getting my HT Ti Blacksheep. I used to tell myself, FS will never be for me.

But alas, look how the tables have turned.:):)

crownjewelwl
02-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Ripleys rule!!

old fat man
02-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Glad to hear it. That bike is high on my list when I have disposable income again.

I'm curious. Is the Ripley leaps and bounds ahead of most of the rest that you list? From your description, it sounds like it is. Oh, and show us a picture!

adhumston
02-12-2015, 07:50 PM
That's great to hear! I literally just got home from my mechanics with my new to me Ripley tagging along on the roof! It'll be a bit before I can give it a good shakedown, but I'm sure I'll be more than pleased.

This is my 3rd (ok, maybe my 5th if you count my older Lugi and Spanky ) Ibis and have been ecstatic with the others and the people behind the bikes.

molly47
02-12-2015, 10:16 PM
I have owned one since they released them I love it great quality.

I was thinking of making it a lefty to try something different,I ran into a couple guys on the trails back in January who had put a lefty on there niner.
Said they loved it.
what wheels did you use ???

d_douglas
02-12-2015, 10:47 PM
The Ripley would be my lottery full sus bike. Love it! My LBS has a few Ibises and they are just so nicely designed...

ofcounsel
02-13-2015, 01:10 AM
Congratulations!!! Killer bike!! I demo'ed a bunch of bikes as well. For me, it came down the Ripley, the Intense Spider 29c and the Pivot Mach 429SL. In the final assessment, I chose the Mach 429SL, primarily because its medium sized frame was the best fit. Like the Ripley, the Mach 429SL has a DW Link rear suspension set up and the climbing characteristics are very similar. But at 5'10", the Medium Ripley felt a little too small for me, and the Large felt a little too big.

Here's mine as I took delivery two weeks ago:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/Pivot%20Mach429SL_zps24os1fwr.jpg

nmrt
02-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Old fat man -- For me, the Ripley was leaps and bound above most of the other bikes. As soon as I hopped on the bike, I could feel the geometry. And I knew it was the bike for me. The 29er bike that came closest to it was the Pivot Mach 429c. But I found that it was not as agile as the Ripley. Also, the 429c has less travel.

Molly -- I have heard praises of the lefty but have never tried them myself. i have tried a lot of other forks though but the one that I have on the Ripley, Rockshox Pike, does not make me desire another fork. It is an excellent fork, highly recommended. BTW, I am running the Ripley with SRAM carbon Rise 60 wheels. Nice, light, and stiff.

ofcounsel -- congrats on the new ride! I am sure the DW link will keep you very comfortable. They say, it has great small bump compliance.