PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on BMC?

fairwent
02-12-2015, 05:34 PM
I am looking for feedback on the BMC Granfondo line - positive or negative. The geometry seems to be pretty close to ideal for my build (longer legs, shorter torso) but it is near to impossible to test ride one when I need a 61 cm. There is something about the aesthetic that calls to me more than the Cervelo R3 or Specialized Roubaix. But if either of those is reviewed more highly by the collective wisdom I would be possible to sway.

Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated - thanks!

ceolwulf
02-12-2015, 05:55 PM
I am looking for feedback on the BMC Granfondo line - positive or negative. The geometry seems to be pretty close to ideal for my build (longer legs, shorter torso) but it is near to impossible to test ride one when I need a 61 cm. There is something about the aesthetic that calls to me more than the Cervelo R3 or Specialized Roubaix. But if either of those is reviewed more highly by the collective wisdom I would be possible to sway.

Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated - thanks!

I would love to know more as well. Closest BMC dealer to me is seven hours away which is my reason for not test riding. And geo suits me for the same reason.

I've heard surprisingly* very good things about the aluminum GF02 but the GF02 is carbon for 2015.

*because aluminum can't possibly be any good right

Black Dog
02-12-2015, 05:59 PM
I ride with a guy who has one and he says it is very comfy. Otherwise stable and predictable. Grain of salt and all that...

exapkib
02-12-2015, 06:11 PM
I love my BMC

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o641/1zaxxon/IMG_5706_zps551412e7.jpg (http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/1zaxxon/media/IMG_5706_zps551412e7.jpg.html)

Wait - what were we talking about?

;)

Sorry for the distraction . . . carry on.

pjmsj21
02-12-2015, 06:17 PM
My wife owns a GF01 and loves it after coming from a Specialized Ruby which is a pretty well thought of bike.

I have ridden the 58cm size and liked it well enough by my proportions are such that I need a custom frame. With the said, I enjoyed the ride but didn't think it was a jaw dropping experience when compared to a Trek Domane or Specialized Roubaix.... but very nice none the less.

BMC does not change their fork rake between sizes which results in some fairly quick trail in the larger sizes and fairly slow in the smaller sizes.

Walter
02-12-2015, 06:26 PM
I rode one at Outdoor Demo at Interbike 2 years ago and it was not as smooth as the Biachini Infinito, the Domane or the Roubaix, even though it was on 28 mm tires with low pressure.

Just my personal view...

scottaharper
02-12-2015, 08:53 PM
I have put about 1000 miles on a 61cm GF01. Like the ride of the bike, comfy and stiff at the same time. I really could not find any fault with the ride. Unfortunately, it had two problems for me:

* the geometry does not work for me (the steep seat tube does not work with my long torso and short legs)
* it was my first experiment with di2 and I found that I prefer mechanical

So I am in the process of getting it ready to sell. If anyone of you are looking for a 61 to test and you are located in the Bay Area of California, I would be glad to meet up for you to take a spin on it. Would also be glad to answer any other questions about my experience with the bike.

Scott

bcroslin
02-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Never ridden the GF01 but I will say that the 2011 BMC Team Machine I owned is hands down my favorite bike ever. It's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden and was snappy and responsive. I regret ever selling the bike and I would buy another BMC in a heart-beat.

Rpoole8537
02-13-2015, 08:20 PM
I have a BMC Team Machine, not sure of the year. Mine has lugs. It is a very comfortable and stable bike. I have very long legs and the tall head tube is great for my 60 yo body. My other favorite bike, a Waterford 1200, also has lugs. Maybe I'm just a "lugs" kind of guy. I bought mine as a frame from a guy on another site. Based on his responses and reviews, I thought it would work. The tall head tube is an issue for some because it is not taken into account when determining size of frame. The BMC 61 cm fits great, my 1200 is a 64 cm. it fits great, as well. Beware the head tube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charliedid
02-13-2015, 08:34 PM
I have a GF01 Ult Di2 for sale in the classifieds. I am selling it and buying the disc version. I find it to be an excellent balance of comfort and speed. Find a test ride if possible, but I don't know anyone who has ridden one who didn't like it. I might be biased but I sell them, and think it rides better than the competition. Horses of course. PM or ask any questions you have here and I am happy to answer.

oldpotatoe
02-14-2015, 06:11 AM
I love my BMC

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o641/1zaxxon/IMG_5706_zps551412e7.jpg (http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/1zaxxon/media/IMG_5706_zps551412e7.jpg.html)

Wait - what were we talking about?

;)

Sorry for the distraction . . . carry on.

Yeegads, trim those struts!!!

Don't your feet hit the ones on the front fender??

Looks like a bug!!~

fatallightning
02-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Full disclosure, I work at a BMC dealer.

I like the GF01, the geo isn't as silly upright as the Roubaix can be in the bigger sizes. Easily clears 28s, nice and light, stiff where it needs to be. I don't think it has as much compliance as the new Synapse for example though, but still plenty smooth, but not quite that smothering magic carpet ride. Only issue I had when I demo'd a 54, was that my calf hit the brake caliper because of the way the seatstays are dropped. I also have very large calves, as I haven't heard anyone else with this problem.

I just bought and built an alloy Gf02 for myself as my crit bike for this season. They were discontinued and replaced with a carbon gf02 for 2015. The alloy frame is 150g lighter then then the new carbon gf02, and only about 100g heavier then the carbon gf01. It's set up with campy 11 and such. I also have a TMR01, which was the race bike, but I just wasn't comfortable wheel to wheel racing something that silly expensive.

fairwent
02-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. The Domane is a nice bike but I would rather not deal with the local dealers.

Between the Roubaix and GF02 carbon (the 2015 Ultegra) the BMC just has the aesthetic that calls to me.

rwsaunders
02-14-2015, 04:53 PM
Fyi, there is an in-depth article about BMC (the company) in issue number 31 of Roleur.