PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Keo Max pedals

stephenmarklay
02-12-2015, 10:29 AM
I got this about 6 months ago and now there appears to be a bit of play in the axle and they are clicking.

Is there a way to take up this slop?

Black Dog
02-12-2015, 11:26 AM
I got this about 6 months ago and now there appears to be a bit of play in the axle and they are clicking.

The clicking my be from a worn cleat. As the cleat gets worn down some play develops and it can click. Is the click coming from the pedal on the side that you unclip from to put your foot down when you stop. The bit of play in the pedal is normal for the keos. Check and make sure the lock nut is snug.

eippo1
02-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Also, the cleats with the pads tend to cause clicking when they wear down. I've stopped using those altogether.

oldpotatoe
02-12-2015, 11:47 AM

No but if it is the pedal and not the cleat, open them up, bunch of grease in there and reassemble. Hopefully somebody local has the tool.

Steve in SLO
02-12-2015, 12:28 PM
That tool that oldpotatoe is talking about is $6-8, and is a worthwhile investment if you have if you plan to use these pedals in the future.

bikerboy337
02-12-2015, 02:26 PM
agree with the others, I'm guessing the cleat, but if its the pedal, follow OPs advice and it should help... the cleats wear pretty quickly imho, especially if you walk in them a bit (as i do when i commute...)

Kentf14
02-12-2015, 07:59 PM
If you've got some play in the pedal, it's likely that the axle/bearings are loose in the pedal body. I've had this happen with several sets of Keos. I'm not sure what the solution is and would be happy to hear recommendations. Seems like poor design to me. Unfortunately, I'm hell bent on using Look pedals otherwise I'd change 'em out for something a little more robust.

stephenmarklay
02-12-2015, 09:23 PM
No but if it is the pedal and not the cleat, open them up, bunch of grease in there and reassemble. Hopefully somebody local has the tool.

Ok thanks. I am surprised after 6 months that they are already in need. I had basic Keo pedals for some years with no issues.

It is the pedal. I kept thinking it was my bottom bracket but today I found that if I torque each pedal by hand it clicks.

Steve in SLO
02-12-2015, 10:35 PM
If you've got some play in the pedal, it's likely that the axle/bearings are loose in the pedal body. I've had this happen with several sets of Keos. I'm not sure what the solution is and would be happy to hear recommendations. Seems like poor design to me. Unfortunately, I'm hell bent on using Look pedals otherwise I'd change 'em out for something a little more robust.
That looseness is not the end of the pedals life. You merely need to take the pedal body off the spindle, as oldpotatoe said, grease the bearings and axle, and remount. It takes about two minutes per pedal, and tightens the movement back down to minimal.

John H.
02-12-2015, 10:48 PM
They should open with a 19mm, clean and re-grease as others have said.
Maybe even tap the collar that hold the bearings down (use a 12mm deep well socket for this).
Put blue loctite on threads when you put back together.
Biggest tip- do not overtighten. The threads are plastic on plastic.
You can break the collar or pedal that way.

Kentf14
02-13-2015, 12:23 AM
Sounds reasonable. I'll have to try re-packing the pedal body and bearing interface with grease.
Never thought of putting a standard 19mm wrench on the funky star shaped nut on the pedal. I used a more "creative" :eek: solution last time with limited success.

Cheers
Kent

stephenmarklay
02-13-2015, 06:39 AM
Thanks everyone. I will take care of this over the weekend.

Black Dog
02-13-2015, 06:44 AM
You can use these to remove the lockring on the pedals. Just put a rag or piece of old inner tube over the jaws to prevent marring the plastic ring. Do not squeeze too hard, and I think that one of the rings is reverse threaded. You will need to remove the pedals if the jaws of the pliers are too wide to fit between the pedal body and the crank arm.

http://thadmills.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/421-SAFE-T-STOP™-Straight-Jaw-Plier.jpeg

Brian Cdn
02-13-2015, 09:40 AM
They should open with a 19mm, clean and re-grease as others have said.
Maybe even tap the collar that hold the bearings down (use a 12mm deep well socket for this).
Put blue loctite on threads when you put back together.
Biggest tip- do not overtighten. The threads are plastic on plastic.
You can break the collar or pedal that way.

Exactly as John H says...
I've done this a few times with pedals.. The 19mm works like a charm.

John H.
02-13-2015, 10:14 AM
Forgot to mention- use the closed side of the 19mm box wrench- not open side.

Sounds reasonable. I'll have to try re-packing the pedal body and bearing interface with grease.
Never thought of putting a standard 19mm wrench on the funky star shaped nut on the pedal. I used a more "creative" :eek: solution last time with limited success.

Cheers
Kent

stephenmarklay
02-14-2015, 06:30 AM
Will do -Thank you.

stephenmarklay
02-16-2015, 09:06 PM
Thanks to you folks this was a five minute job. I was surprised it was pretty dry. All seems good now.

Kentf14
02-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Worked like a charm. Thanks for the advice! I don't know why I never considered using the closed end of a 19mm wrench *duh!

Cheers