PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Ottrott Paint???

Satellite
02-12-2015, 03:26 AM
So, my LBS had an Serotta Ottrott complete build sitting on the shelf for years. I always lusted after this bike. I never seen an better paint job, ever on a bike.

When it came down to buying a new bike I certainly wanted the Ottrott, and I even test rode it. The frame fit, but the fit was all off, bars were huge, stem was wrong, saddle was completely off for my buttox, but the bike seemed to just disappear beneath me. The ride was amazing to say the least. In the end, I decided on a Moots VaMoots SL, mostly because I wanted a lifetime bike and the all Ti option seems to be a better choice to ensure that this would be a lifetime bike.

I have no regrets (I love my Moots) except one: my wife took a photo of the Ottrott with her cell phone, that is now dead and I never saved the photo off. Two weeks ago I asked the owner of LBS if he remember the Ottrott and the Paint job, and if he could get me in touch with the owner, it was a dead-end. The paint was so amazing again the prettiest paint job I have ever seen on a bike to this day, a close second was the IF SSR Mavic Special Edition . Anyway I digress; searching through eBay I came across this Ottrott:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/54cm-SEROTTA-ottrott-carbon-titanium-super-bike-in-mint-shape-7500-/251825621777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa1fa0b11

I am certain this is the paint job, anyone know what Serotta called this paint option? It must of been some what standard, because this isn't the same bike. The one I rode was a 57.5 so it's clearly a different bike. I like the satin bead blast of the Moots but I have been thinking of getting it painted. I am getting kinda of tired of the gun metal gray look. I would like to somewhat model it after this Serotta Ottrott Paint.

Thanks for any guidance,

Satellite

ergott
02-12-2015, 05:21 AM
You could send those pics to whomever you want to have paint your Moots.

I had my Ottrott painted by Craig from http://www.cforestryan.com The result was stunning.

Another recommendation would be http://velocolour.com.

I've seen both of their work up close. I know both guys and they're amongst the elite as far as professionalism in both their work and their communication. No drama and excellent results.

CNY rider
02-12-2015, 05:47 AM
Serotta really had some beauties out there.
I went to Blue Sky Bicycles in Saratoga for my fitting.
I already knew that I wanted a Legend. But they had the most beautiful Ottrott sitting in the fit studio, up off the ground directly in your line of sight while on the fit bike.
I came very close to going for the Ottrott.
I am certain that display bicycle sold many Ottrotts.

Tim Porter
02-12-2015, 06:12 AM
Hi Satellite: Go to the Gaulzetti bikes website and drill down to the personnel section, where you'll find a bio of Bill McDonald. He most likely painted that Serotta or will at least know the pattern. Amazing painter, and I think he has his own bike painting bizz under the name B Mac's. You could probably reach him via Gaulzetti or Kelly Bedford (Paceline sponsor, btw).

So you could have the guy who painted thousands of Serottas do the job! [No connection at all.]

HTH, Tim

AngryScientist
02-12-2015, 06:13 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1537278#post1537278

see the thread above.

Bill McDonald is the former head painter at Serotta. He does custom bike paint now. Surely he can shed some light on that paint, and even replicate it, since he was probably the one that painted your dream bike!

AngryScientist
02-12-2015, 06:13 AM
lol, tim beat me to it.

Tim Porter
02-12-2015, 06:14 AM
Angry Scientist: Great minds . . . .!

happycampyer
02-12-2015, 06:20 AM
As Eric said, you could get any number of painters to copy that paint scheme. You could also contact Bill MacDonald, the former head painter for Serotta, who now has a paint shop on his own. If he didn't paint those frames, he painted dozens like them.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=151914

That said, purely as an aesthetic note, I think that paint scheme looks better on a bike with lugs than it would on a simple ti frame like a Vamoots. Spectrum Powderworks painted a Moots for Above Category a few years ago that was stunning. If I can find the pics I'll post them. I think that if you're going to paint a Moots, it's better to keep it simple.

Edit: Ha, missed the flurry above while I was typing.

93legendti
02-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Pretty bike...iirc, that was an expensive paint option

pdmtong
02-12-2015, 10:26 AM
That said, purely as an aesthetic note, I think that paint scheme looks better on a bike with lugs than it would on a simple ti frame like a Vamoots. Spectrum Powderworks painted a Moots for Above Category a few years ago that was stunning. If I can find the pics I'll post them. I think that if you're going to paint a Moots, it's better to keep it simple.

I'm with happy here. that paint schema if lugged - but on your ti frame I like the front 3/4 paint and partial rear triangle nude look, with perhaps a panel reveal in the logo area and maybe only the upper half the fork painted.

tuscanyswe
02-12-2015, 10:27 AM
Painting a moots. the thought has crossed my mind many a times.
Always decided against it in the end. Are you sure? :)

Ken Robb
02-12-2015, 11:09 AM

My Hampsten Strada Bianca was built by MOOTS and has a lovely baby blue paint job. I don't know who painted it but surely Steve Hampsten would.

RedRider
02-12-2015, 01:09 PM
That red Ottrott has an older paint scheme which I'm going to say is pre-2009. I forget what it was named but it would have been counted as 4 colors. With the SE level (flagship) 2 colors would have been included. This scheme would have had 2 paint color upcharges and if it was requested in a year that scheme was not offered another upcharge for non-standard scheme. I would ballpark an additional $1500.
Bill McDonald @ BMac Paint Works is the go-to guy for all paintwork.

pmac
02-12-2015, 01:12 PM
I have what looks to be the same color scheme on an Ottrott. The bike was a display unit at the LBS, fit me extremely well and was on sale. My only reservation was the paint scheme, which just never appealed to me - I seem to be in a small minority on this and they told me it had inspired several other people to order exactly the same thing. If you'd like some additional photos to give to a painter, let me know. As for me, I'm hoping to send mine to Craig Forest Ryan, who did an amazing job on an Ottrott shown in one of the links above.

Satellite
02-12-2015, 07:26 PM
tuscanyswe,

Nope I am NOT sure, part of the advantage to Ti, no painted needed to keep rust at bay. All my bikes are Ti mountain and road, between me and the wife we have 7 Ti bikes all gun metal grayish, Serotta and Ibis use different Ti finishes. Overall they are Gun Metal Gray, just getting kind of tired of the look.

Here is what I have in mind:

Everywhere the Ottrott Carbon is exposed, I want the Ti showing. Everywhere it's Red (NOT crazy about the Red) I want the Blue Honda used for the 2000 Honda Civic SI Electron Blue and possibly where the Ti is showing on the Ottrott painted Black except the drive side chain stay leave it natural Ti. Not sure what do on the silver fade areas maybe just a White. White Moots Decals staying with tradition and maybe some Green Mr. Moots.

Just kicking it around in the noggin a bit.

Satellite

happycampyer
02-12-2015, 10:18 PM
As RedRider said, that was a complicated and very expensive paint job (too complicated for my taste, but to each his own). That said, the simple-looking panels of the "Indy" paint job on my MeiVici (anthracite panels with silver bands and lettering, with masked carbon outline around the lettering) was actually a very complicated and expensive paint job, so who's to judge. :)

Bear in mind that Serrotta's paint prices (among other prices) were sort of like Campy's US pricing—there were a lot of mouths to feed, both at Serotta and at the LBS. I have had Bill MacDonald refinish several frames, and his prices are extremely reasonable.

Sat, the way you describe your idea, I think it will look very different from the Ottrott on ebay. The "bubble" panels will look more like the seat tube of the Ottrott, i.e., with a silver background. Part of what makes the Ottrott's paint scheme interesting is the silver fade in the paint as it approaches the curved ends of the faux lugs—that wouldn't look right unless the "bubble" panel is a contrasting color (i.e., black, as opposed to bare ti).

Here's a photo of the Moots that SPW painted for AC:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Dp4KOUeGLhA/SwIDslul1dI/AAAAAAAAAPA/tCLZmVeHz8E/s1600/_MG_0179.jpg

Always decided against it in the end. Are you sure? :)Mine, too—I've owned over a half-dozen Moots over the years, and with several I considered having them painted, but could never bring myself to do it.

Satellite
02-12-2015, 10:21 PM
I have what looks to be the same color scheme on an Ottrott. The bike was a display unit at the LBS, fit me extremely well and was on sale. My only reservation was the paint scheme, which just never appealed to me - I seem to be in a small minority on this and they told me it had inspired several other people to order exactly the same thing. If you'd like some additional photos to give to a painter, let me know. As for me, I'm hoping to send mine to Craig Forest Ryan, who did an amazing job on an Ottrott shown in one of the links above.

Pmac,

Yes, I would be interested in more photos, please send them to Satellitepro at hotmail.com, thanks. That's funny, the guy that has this paint on his bike isn't crazy about it. What size is your Ottrott? Did you buy it in Colorado Springs, CO.?

Satellite

Satellite
02-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Sat, the way you describe your idea, I think it will look very different from the Ottrott on ebay. The "bubble" panels will look more like the seat tube of the Ottrott, i.e., with a silver background. Part of what makes the Ottrott's paint scheme interesting is the silver fade in the paint as it approaches the curved ends of the faux lugs—that wouldn't look right unless the "bubble" panel is a contrasting color (i.e., black, as opposed to bare ti).

Happy,

I don't want it to be exactly like the Ottrott just similar. Maybe it would be better to just hit it with the Electron Blue as a solid color more like the AC Moots. I also like it when the Drive Side chainstay is left bare, the rest of the rear is completely covered it isn't symmetrical but I like it better.

Spectrum does do good work and they are local for me. I had Spectrum Ti Etch my S&S Coupled travel bike. But I am intrigued by Bill McDonald and Iam seriously thinking of contacting him for ideas. Spectrum has plenty of work and Brad doesn't even work on the Bike side anymore. He is too busy fabricating Porsche parts and roll cages.

Billy Mac
02-13-2015, 06:26 AM
That paint job was called the Elliptical . I would be more than happy to replicate this scheme or any other scheme people may have. I can be contacted at bmacspaintworks@gmail.com.

tuscanyswe
02-13-2015, 07:15 AM
That paint job was called the Elliptical . I would be more than happy to replicate this scheme or any other scheme people may have. I can be contacted at bmacspaintworks@gmail.com.

You wont be dissapointed with Billy's work. Amazing paint!

jmoore
02-13-2015, 07:49 AM
Ditto what everyone has said about Bill. He painted my Bedford (twice - long story) and it's fantastic. If I was getting a Serotta painted, he'd be the first guy to talk to, esp. for a reproduction

victoryfactory
02-13-2015, 07:56 AM
I remember seeing a documentary on marketing and advertising once
where they showed the Sears people doing extensive testing for which color combinations would best attract men to their line of tools.

pmac
02-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Pmac,

Yes, I would be interested in more photos, please send them to Satellitepro@hotmail.com, thanks. That's funny, the guy that has this paint on his bike isn't crazy about it. What size is your Ottrott? Did you buy it in Colorado Springs, CO.?

Satellite

I'll try to take some photos over the weekend. It's a 57 pretty much stock as I recall (tossed the specs in some housecleaning of files), bought in Austin.