PDA

View Full Version : The Best I've Ever Been & Getting There Again

MattTuck
02-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Apologies up front, there's some stuff I need explain before getting to the point. The fastest/best I was on the bike was in 2008. I came close this year, riding more miles but didn't hit my target for weight loss.

I turn 36 today. Woohoo! I can write my age as 6^2. a square number. The next one is 13 years away. Though, 37 should be good too, as it is a prime.

A few weeks ago, my grandfather had a mild stroke. His carotid artery was blocked 99% for some time, and he suffered some brain damage on one side. Surgeons have since removed the blockage, though he is unlikely to regain much of what he lost. His memory for names and people, and ability to string together stories or sentences is pretty much gone. The best way I can describe it is if you took a house and took it apart piece by piece and had all the pieces (lumber, nails, paint, fixtures, etc.) in a big pile. So a room is no longer a room, it is a bunch of parts that aren't tied together by anything. So, if you were asked to describe the living room, you may be able to say, "oh, that piece of wood, and that light and that nail" but you can't really get the whole living room back. It's just pieces that you recognize as being part of the living room.

Anyway, I'm not telling you this because I want sympathy for him or myself. He is 88 years old, grew up during the depression. He started working when he was a boy (as many did in that period) and continued working as a builder and then owner of a hardware store until he was about 75, with a break when he was in the Army during the end of WWII. He was strong as an ox and healthy as a horse. He was an extremely strong human, probably in better shape at 75 than many guys in their 40's - his handshake grip was unreal. He cut and split his own firewood up until a few years ago when we didn't want him using a chainsaw anymore. I asked him once, "grampa, were you a strong boy? did you play any sports?" He said he didn't have time for sports and that he spent his time working (which to him, was physical work. carrying bundles of shingles up ladders, that type of thing). What I'm getting at is that he has had a very healthy and full life. But it does make you reflect a bit.

By pretty much any measure, I'm physically in decline, or will be in the next few years (it is a slow decline at first, but my potential goes down every year - it is just a fact). But I look at my grandfather, and if I got atleast some of his genetics, I am hoping I have a lot of strength left.

I've still got a lot of fire. I spent my birthday first in the gym and then snowshoeing in the backyard, and I'll hop on the trainer for some intervals before dinner (Yes, I took the day off). This board has a lot of threads about improving ourselves, and that is awesome. There are so many things that stand in the way of reaching our potential, whatever that potential might be. For cycling, the obstacles are many: Getting time to ride, tempting foods, injury, weather, etc.

Well, this year, I am done with excuses (which I've been making as I gained 6 pounds since christmas). I'm taking my modest success last year and making it a huge success this coming year.

11:31 - My best time in 2008 for a certain climb.
12:49 - My best time in 2014 (weighing 15 pounds more than I did in 2008).

I'm not satisfied with 'my best', these last few years, and I'm ready to work harder than I have before to achieve it. There are some great role models on this forum, and I want to thank you all. The accomplishments and work ethic of many of you are a great reminder what it means to work hard, and of how hard work pays off.

So, no more slacking off. No more taking a break at work and eating a cookie. No more 'It's raining today, so I'll do a longer ride tomorrow'. Although my grandfather may not understand cycling, because to him sports and recreation never made sense, I'm going to embody his work ethic in my cycling.

This year, I'm going to be able to say, "I'm the Best I've Ever Been"

JAGI410
02-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Happy birthday, it looks like you're approaching your 36th year with the right mindset.

Michael Maddox
02-11-2015, 03:04 PM
I'm 45 and right there with you, my friend!

As life begins to intrude, it's important that we undertake goals that challenge us and stretch us physically, mentally, and spiritually. While so many simply seek "happiness," the search for SATISFACTION often yields the most rewards.

paredown
02-11-2015, 03:05 PM
...No more taking a break at work and eating a cookie...

I was with you until this...

(I kid, I kid. :banana:)

My pops would have been about the same age as your grandfather--unbelievably strong and hard working until we lost him to cancer. They were a tough bunch. especially the ones that started out on the family farm.

What impresses me more as I get older--and it is the heart of your post--was their positivity and self-reliance. That's a great thing to carry with you.

Best of luck in your best year ever!

FlashUNC
02-11-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm 45 and right there with you, my friend!

As life begins to intrude, it's important that we undertake goals that challenge us and stretch us physically, mentally, and spiritually. While so many simply seek "happiness," the search for SATISFACTION often yields the most rewards.

I'm reminded of the story about the current Dalai Llama. Was asked by someone a question I assume he gets a lot. "What is the meaning of life?"

His answer: "That's easy, to pursue happiness and be happy!"

The question asker replied "Well, what makes someone happy?"

"Ah," the Llama replied. "That is the real question."

Best of luck on the hunt. I don't think I'll ever get back to what my peak was at 20. But nothing wrong with trying...

Gummee
02-11-2015, 03:19 PM
I'm a decade older (or so) and the one thing I can say for certain is 'don't stop.' Don't stop doing whatever it is you're doing. I still ride with 20-somethings. I still run trails. I still mtn bike. I race CX.

Do. Not. Stop.

If it isn't cycling, then run. If it isn't running, then make it X where X is something active: Underwater hockey. Swimming. Something. ANYthing.

AMHIK

M

martinez
02-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Glad to hear you have that spark back in you! GET IT!

I've recently been neglecting my bikes a lot this past year due to a lot of excuses. Mainly because of work and school and the little time I have when I'm not at either and the fact that is rather sleep and devote time to studies.
My sleep habits are terrible...but I am slowly working on that too!
Reading these types of threads gets me pumped and motivated!
Some of them have really pushed me to go to the gym and now I think I'm in the best shape so far, strength wise. Kinda surprised a little.
But it's all in your head to stay focused!

I need to get back in the spin of things!
More quality time on the bike!

Gummee you are 150% correct!
When I tend to slow down or stop doing certain things, i get very frustrated with myself. But I'm slowly turning the pedals so I can one day KOM my life

unterhausen
02-11-2015, 03:54 PM
I was at my best at 20, don't think I'm going to get back there again. Sometime in my mid-30's I went out for a 10 mile ride and got seriously hassled by two motorists and I was so upset I just quit. Wasn't a good idea. My kids got me riding again a decade later, and I got a lot faster fairly quickly. But then I had a bad year health-wise and realized I like to ride slowly just as much as I like to go fast. I'm trying to break out of that rut.

Too bad it took me 35 years to realize I'm a natural sprinter, when I was 20 that would have been good to know.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Hey Matt, the best you've ever been is ahead of you, not behind you.

Now get to work!

phcollard
02-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Hey Happy Birthday Matt, you youngster!

I enjoyed reading your post, as always. You are an inspiration, no kidding.

It's easy to let yourself go with age, it takes some guts and dedication to always aim at the best and it sounds like you have them! Go Matt! And never forget what they say "this is the first day of the rest of your life" :banana:

RonW87
02-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Unless you were a pro, or close, it shouldn't be a problem at the age of 36 to get stronger/fitter than you were at a younger age. Physically, especially in endurance sports, you haven't lost that much. Mentally, you've likely got much more discipline/focus/drive. And, oh yeah, money.

malcolm
02-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Matt, at 36 you're still quite young. I'm 55 and certainly not in the shape I once was, but in better shape than most my age and certainly worse shape than some.

The best advice I can give, it's worth what you are paying, is this: moderation. Have desert, eat a cookie or whatever floats your boat, but do it occasionally. Watch your caloric intake and do some sort of exercise at least 3-5 times weekly even when you are off, just some push ups, sit ups or burpees, something to keep you moving and if you can adopt some resistance training, it becomes more important as you age.

Don't be all or nothing if you can't get in the workout you want do something else. I used to plan 3 or so hours on the bike then if something came up and I only had an hour I would get pissy and bail, don't do that be grateful for the hour.

Last but not least try to maintain your weight, weigh regularly and try and keep within a few pounds. The fittest/fastest old guys I know are tri guys that have been doing it uninterrupted for 30 years. When I finished my residency and first entered the work force I was working ungodly hours and wound up gaining some 30-40 pounds. I lost most of it over 10 years ago and have managed to keep it off within an 15 pound range, should be tighter, but I've never regained the fitness, especially speed that I had before that several year break and weight gain. I've gotten the distance back both running and cycling when training for something but never regained all the speed.

Good luck and age really is a state of mind, just refuse to be old.

Black Dog
02-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Happy Birth Day Matt. There is only one thing wrong with your post. You are not in decline at 36. That attitude will be the end of you. Your measure of decline should be against what you are capable of at a given age vs where you are at. Unless you are in the best shape you can possible be then you are in a position to get better. 36 for oxygen sports like cycling is not past your best before date. I ride with guys in their late 60's that can really put some hurt into guys that are young enough to be their grand kids! Cycling is a life time sport and the rate at which you decline is really not that fast. You are not racing the tour and, as such, for what you want to do on the bike you should never feel that your goals are out of reach.

numbskull
02-11-2015, 05:49 PM
"Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

Mark Twain

That pretty well sums it up.

1centaur
02-11-2015, 05:50 PM
Black Dog got there before me. I've seen a lot of housewives who see themselves as declining in their mid-thirties and their belief becomes fact. One of the lessons I learned in life was from Jane Fonda who was much more fit at 30 than 20. For non-Olympians the right goal in life is to improve for as long as possible. A little improvement each year for the next 15+ years would be MUCH better than going nuts at 36 to hit a time you can never match again because once you've gone nuts you won't have it in you again (ask Wiggo re: TdF).

And I agree with Malcolm about weight. Pick a good weight you can maintain and then maintain it ferociously. Steady weight means more focus on improving times. Overweight means losing weight.

Right mindset and right weight, there are plenty of training plans to follow. Cross train and you will get faster even if it's not clear why.

velomonkey
02-11-2015, 06:23 PM
He cut and split his own firewood up until a few years ago when we didn't want him using a chainsaw anymore.

In terms of your grandfather. My dad died when I was 9, my mom remarried when I was 11. My step-dad, I call him my dad, had a farm house and very drafty and we had a coal stove. He said, "you want to be warm, you know how to get coal" - so we walked to the shed and got coal, lugging 30 pound buckets.

I lived in DC for 15 years with gas heat and we now have a house in CT where my kids go to school. Guess what, we heat with wood (well mostly). I go through 7 cords a year - i get my wood cut though - some guys have arm sleeve tattoos - I got burn marks on my arms to go along with my bike scars.

Anyway, good for your gandpops - they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Ti Designs
02-11-2015, 07:54 PM
By pretty much any measure, I'm physically in decline, or will be in the next few years (it is a slow decline at first, but my potential goes down every year - it is just a fact). But I look at my grandfather, and if I got atleast some of his genetics, I am hoping I have a lot of strength left.

Stop listening to idiots.

I started working at Wheelworks in my early 20's. The manager told me that by the time I turned 30 I would be 20 pounds overweight and sitting my my ass drinking 5 cups of coffee a day, like everybody else. "it's just a fact" he said - odd that you should use the same words. When I turned 30 I did my first 200K brevet, on a fixed gear, and I rode 10 miles to the start and rode home after.

I'm 50 now, I'm probably a bit faster than I was then - I've leaned a few things over the years. I have a friend who's a rower, when he started out he set a goal for himself, a time to get under between two bridges. In his second season of rowing he reached his goal. Now, no matter how out of shape he is, it's easy for him to be under that time. He's not stronger or fitter, he's just doing it better. The same thing applies to cycling - learn how to do it better.

The only words of wisdom I have about ignoring your age - it takes it's toll. At age 47 I returned to Mt Washington, so I set up a training program for it. I had a dismal day on the mountain, cramping and having to get off the bike twice, but it was the first time any of the riders I coach had seen me at race fitness. It was a blast, I watched riders half my age in a full panic to get on my wheel as I pushed the pace. The effort in training was so worth the results, but I couldn't do that to myself the next year.

giverdada
02-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Happy Birthday man.

I turned 34 in December and also took the day off. Got a massage. Bought a nice used Mission Workshop bag for my commute. Took a nap. Amazing.

Every Tuesday, I meet up with a bunch of folks for running club here in the east end. I first started about 3 years ago and could never keep up. Now I'm finally up there with the leaders, putting the pain into each other. We took a group photo the other day; I'm the youngest guy in it by about 10 years at least. No decline to be had.

I can't wait to see how much faster I'll run when I'm fifty!

And my grandfather is the same. It's been hard to see him settle down a bit more as he passes 90, but he still drives himself around and walks miles every week with my mom and hikes around his maple sugarbush hauling sap in 5-gallon buckets by hand. I hope to be a wiry old dude like that, never quitting. The Depression seems to have made a whole new/different kind of people. Tough as effin nails.

Andreas
02-12-2015, 09:43 AM
11:31 - My best time in 2008 for a certain climb.
12:49 - My best time in 2014 (weighing 15 pounds more than I did in 2008).

King Hill?

MattTuck
02-12-2015, 09:49 AM
King Hill?

haha, I WISH. I'm near 16 minutes on King.

That time is for Ruddsboro, from Rt. 4 to the "Tree Farm" sign at the summit.

MattTuck
02-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Stop listening to idiots.

I'm 50 now, I'm probably a bit faster than I was then - I've leaned a few things over the years.
The only words of wisdom I have about ignoring your age - it takes it's toll.

Best of luck on the hunt. I don't think I'll ever get back to what my peak was at 20. But nothing wrong with trying...

Happy Birth Day Matt. There is only one thing wrong with your post. You are not in decline at 36. That attitude will be the end of you. Your measure of decline should be against what you are capable of at a given age vs where you are at. Unless you are in the best shape you can possible be then you are in a position to get better. 36 for oxygen sports like cycling is not past your best before date. I ride with guys in their late 60's that can really put some hurt into guys that are young enough to be their grand kids! Cycling is a life time sport and the rate at which you decline is really not that fast. You are not racing the tour and, as such, for what you want to do on the bike you should never feel that your goals are out of reach.

Thanks to the many replies. First off, I had the unfortunate path of discovering road cycling when I was already in my 20s, working for a consulting firm in Boston. So I didn't have much time to really get good then, so I'm still quite in reach of being the best I've ever been on the bike.

And second, I didn't mean to suggest that my performance would go down. Only that the scientific literature seems to suggest that you hold pretty good health from 18 to your late 30's, then you start losing a few % a year. So I'm theoretically at or past my peak potential.

Black Dog has it right though, the measure shouldn't be absolute, it should be, how close are you to realizing your full potential at any given time are you... and that is a good mentality to have.

Thanks for the many wise responses. At this point it is just words and ideas. Now I need to convert it into actions and non-actions. In other words, actually putting in the work and avoiding the temptations that can derail the plan.

rugbysecondrow
02-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Go kick some ass!

The only big difference I notice with age (37) is not performance but recovery ( I need more of it). Otherwise, I am faster, stronger and better looking than I have ever been. :cool:

commonguy001
02-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Fastest I ever was was when I was your age, now 9 years on I'm getting pretty close again after a few down years.

Here's to being 36 and tuning the motor! :beer:

shovelhd
02-12-2015, 11:10 AM
A belated Happy Birthday. I hope it was enjoyable.

You seem to have what racers call "the fire". I get mine from poor racing performances when fitness was not an issue, I made mental mistakes. They drive me. What I don't do is compare myself to when I was racing in my 20's. There's no value in that and in the big picture, it really doesn't matter. A stopwatch has no perspective, that is within you. I would encourage you to develop your perspective as you age.

It's also OK to have your weight fluctuate in the offseason and to have an Oreo or two. It's part of that perspective thing.

Let's hope us New Englanders can get out on our road bikes soon.

leftyfreak
02-12-2015, 11:20 AM

Amen to that!

Happy B-day, Matt! You should come down to Boston sometime and Ed and I can show you some of the best roads northwest of the city. Just don't listen to him for directions. Pedaling technique advice, yes, directions, no.

Andreas
02-12-2015, 11:54 AM

???

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7249/13332718544_55ec83924e.jpg

SlackMan
02-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Happy birthday, Matt! It sounds like you have a great mindset and goal.

I will hit the big 5-0 this year which for most people is a big psychological event. I'm certainly not feeling old, but I am far, far worse on the bike than in my younger days. When much younger, I could bang out multiple consecutive days of 80+ mile rides at 20+ mph. I don't see those days coming back again, especially because I am trying to do far more cross-training. On a general level though, I am trying to be much better, stronger, and faster than I have been in the last ten years. Here's to hoping that we both achieve our goals.

malcolm
02-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Go kick some ass!

The only big difference I notice with age (37) is not performance but recovery ( I need more of it). Otherwise, I am faster, stronger and better looking than I have ever been. :cool:

Better looking, dude I've seen pictures!!!

Black Dog
02-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Go kick some ass!

Yep, as you get older get smarter. Rest and recovery. You will need more time for both and you body will thank you by responding to the training. It takes folks a long time to learn that you improve during rest and recovery not during training.

carpediemracing
02-12-2015, 02:00 PM
This year, I'm going to be able to say, "I'm the Best I've Ever Been"

I'm normally not one to say Happy Birthday but Happy Birthday! I wish you the best in your quest. You have a lot of time to make good on your thoughts. I'd approach weight first and worry about the other stuff later - this is what's worked for me. I've never been able to train enough to lose substantial weight but if I lose the weight first I can train hard after.

One thing that I've noticed over the years is that my peak speeds are down significantly (I'm 47, been racing since 15), I'm talking 20% drop in peak speeds. It's a huge difference. 12 years ago I noticed my top speeds were down a bit but I attributed it to lack of fitness. I went to longer cranks and it seemed to hide that lack of speed (over the years I've gone from 167.5 to 170 to 175).

However, and this is key, my steady state power and my recovery seem much better. I didn't have powermeters back then, just the cyclocomputers and a watch, so I can't give specifics on power or HR etc. However I do know that when I was young I'd be absolutely wasted after a few solid days on the bike, and I'd be in real trouble 3-4-5 hours into a ride. I had a hard time bridging a 10 second gap. Nowadays I can do a few solid days in a row and be reasonably okay, and I can get to the end of a 5 or 6 hour ride and, under some self-created pressure, do the fastest hour of riding in the last hour of the ride. I've also gotten across some pretty big gaps without annihilating myself.

When I started racing Cat 2s were like demigods. I revered them, I idolized them, and I wanted desperately to be a Cat 2. I chased that dream until I was 30 years old, when I finally left the bike biz, and I'd spent a pretty solid 10 years really, really chasing that dream.

Life happened and for about 5 years I was muddling about, not really doing much. Then a friend/teammate had a phenomenal season - nowadays everyone would have been screaming EPO! EPO! EPO! I asked him what he did. "Long rides in the winter" or, more accurately, he trained when the rest of us weren't training as much. We trained together that winter, doing 120 mile rides 2x a week until ice took over the roads (now I'd look at them as "two 7 hour rides a week" so 14 hour weeks, which is huge for me). We went to Belgium for 3 weeks, got our butts kicked (http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2007/06/story-experiencing-belgian-kermesses.html), and came back and I had a great, fantastic year. I didn't chase Cat 2 and instead traded feats of strength for placings, sometimes literally sitting at the front of the field until I'd ridden the whole field off my wheel, then sitting up and goofing off. I was realistically about 125 lbs that year, maybe 120 lbs.

In 2000 my mom was diagnosed with cancer. She moved into my house while my dad finished work stuff in Europe. She eventually passed in 2003. By then I was in the 215 lbs range. I was fat. I promised her to win the Bethel Spring Series (won it a couple times previously) and the Cat 3 CT Crit Championships, which I'd last won in 2002. It took until 2005 to win Bethel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkgmQWyipQo), 2006 to get the gold medal again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiMfxE14yaQ) in the Nutmeg State Games. In those races I was about 175-180 lbs.

In 2009 I had my first ever bone break, a fractured pelvis, from a training race crash (another racer caused it by swerving intentionally (http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2009/08/racing-crash-or-learning-how-to-suffer.html) so really a freak thing). Wheelchair, couldn't work for 2 months, etc. I still couldn't ride after 2 months so I decided to diet. I was 183 when I started dieting (and about 200 in early 2009, probably 185 or so when I hit the deck). I got down to 149 before my unsustainable diet started to crack. I plateaued at about 155-158 lbs, the first time since 1999 that I'd seen that weight.

I went into the following season 2010 with no goals other than to "see what I could do". My hill climbing wasn't that great since genetics is a huge limiter in purely aerobic things - my big attack on Palomar Mountain went from about 2 hours to about 1:50, so a very small difference in time, and still very, very slow compared to the faster regular climbers. In 2010 I had two people ask me if I was okay on climbs in SoCal. One asked if I had a mechanical, the other started to say something and then saw "Connecticut" on my kit and said, Oh, that explains why you're going so slow. Haha.

Anyway my 2010 season was an absolute revelation. I surprised myself (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqrPW4FWyQg) over and over, and by mid season I'd started working for teammates to avoid placing and being forcibly upgraded. When the Missus and I decided to start a family I quickly applied for an upgrade and got it. I was a Cat 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPgvG_ccPmc), I was 42, about to turn 43, and I told myself that I may not be able to race consistently ever again.

Well the baby never "took" until later 2011 so I wasted my only season as a Cat 2 in terms of racing. I finished maybe a couple races, focusing instead on preparing the house for the kid. He showed up in 2012, right in the middle of the Spring Series I promote, and my riding went south even more. I enjoy being part of Junior's life - this year whenever the weather cleared up my first reaction was "hey we can go to the playground". It was a huge change for me.

By late summer 2014 I was up to 180 lbs or so, I was riding 6 or 8 hours in some months (https://app.strava.com/athletes/143064) (MONTHS), but I could win field sprints against similar aged Masters (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkLKxv7fqhs) (against the 3s I was so far back I couldn't see the winners - that peak speed thing). A few times in 2012, 13, 14 I'd told myself I would diet and get back to 2010 weight but each time I said that I never felt inspired and so I focused my energies elsewhere. Playground, house, stuff like that.

This last November for whatever reason I decided that, okay, I'm going to diet again, get to a decent weight, and see what happens. I started the diet at 178.8 lbs and this time I did it. I've been hovering in the 160 lbs range right now, but seeing drops into the 150s every now and then, returning close to that miracle 2010 weight or, if you want to look at years, my 1999 weight. I happen to be riding more also, mainly to keep my caloric intake at goal or close-to-goal numbers. I've done 50+ hours in the last two months, huge for me, and not only am I 15+ lbs lighter than mid summer 2014, I'm also stronger now.

My racing age is this year is 48 and I'm looking forward to this season like I was 15 years old. Well maybe more like 20 years old, until then I was pretty nervous about racing. I'm excited about doing my first 2015 race in a month or so.

You never know. Go for it now, but know that if for whatever reason this isn't the year, you can give it another go. Best wishes for your time attack record!

Ti Designs
02-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Happy B-day, Matt! You should come down to Boston sometime and Ed and I can show you some of the best roads northwest of the city. Just don't listen to him for directions. Pedaling technique advice, yes, directions, no.

They keep rotating Carlisle. One day it's West Road, the next day it's North Road...

fuzzalow
02-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Incredible. Some of what has been posted here talks as if the age of mid-30's is old. Yes, in real terms 35 is older than 21 but c'mon, that age is hardly old. There are gentlemen here nearly twice that age and they still ride and enjoy life. That's what I look forwards to be able to do too.

True, I will never be as fast as I once wasn't. And recovery takes longer. What can I tell ya, growin' old ain't for sissies.

But I've lived longer just from the virtue of being 35 long ago and I know stuff and approach life differently. I would judge today's approach to better than what I'd done at 35. I certainly hope so. I'd hate to have stayed the same to have come away in living life to have learned little and changed nothing.

I think it's great to have a goal to get as good or better than you once were. The biggest thing is that it all depends what you gotta burn through to get back there. For me that's the blessing in not wanting to be so monotone in that there are too many other things to embrace in life now that I wouldn't ever obsess to try. I don't accept my age but I don't care about gettin' back to 35 because I think I have a richer life now than when I was 35 - got more things I wanna get to. Hopefully you do too so this is just another viewpoint to consider.

Life is good.

leftyfreak
02-12-2015, 02:45 PM
They keep rotating Carlisle. One day it's West Road, the next day it's North Road...

They may be rotating Carlisle, but that doesn't explain why they change the name of the street in Billerica.

Matt, this will all make sense to you if you come ride with us. I'd love to see that Kirk of yours!

MattTuck
02-12-2015, 02:55 PM
They may be rotating Carlisle, but that doesn't explain why they change the name of the street in Billerica.

Matt, this will all make sense to you if you come ride with us. I'd love to see that Kirk of yours!

I grew up in Groton. And lived in Cambridge and Watertown after college. So I'm semi-familiar. I used to ride the minuteman trail to its end, then take Rt. 225 out through Concord, Carlisle, Westford and to Groton to my parents' house.

If you want some good riding, you're welcome to come up North :)

sandyrs
02-13-2015, 08:19 AM
I grew up in Groton. And lived in Cambridge and Watertown after college. So I'm semi-familiar. I used to ride the minuteman trail to its end, then take Rt. 225 out through Concord, Carlisle, Westford and to Groton to my parents' house.

I have no doubt that riding is better up by you, but I have to say that there are far nicer roads than 225 around here!

rugbysecondrow
02-13-2015, 08:25 AM
Better looking, dude I've seen pictures!!!

HAHA. I love you too man! :banana:

leftyfreak
02-13-2015, 08:38 AM
I have no doubt that riding is better up by you, but I have to say that there are far nicer roads than 225 around here!

Ding, ding, ding!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself! I've gotten plenty of people (other than Ed) completely turned around on some of my back road routes out here.

The offer still stands, Matt. Set up a session with Ed, and then we can all do a ride together. You did say you wanted to be your best ever, right?

leftyfreak
02-13-2015, 08:46 AM

That's an intriguing option, but I only have so many "day passes" available to me! I'll definitely keep it in mind...

What's a good half-way point between Bedford and Hanover? Harrisville is a cute little town, but I don't remember how good the food at the general store is. We could meet for lunch...

unterhausen
02-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Incredible. Some of what has been posted here talks as if the age of mid-30's is old. Yes, in real terms 35 is older than 21 but c'mon, that age is hardly old. There are gentlemen here nearly twice that age and they still ride and enjoy life. That's what I look forwards to be able to do too.

True, I will never be as fast as I once wasn't. And recovery takes longer. What can I tell ya, growin' old ain't for sissies.
I thought the same thing. It seems like the actual decay in physical ability doesn't really occur until sometime in the '60s. Before that, we tend to abuse ourselves and let some abilities go, but the potential is still there. Certainly, mid-30's is a time when you can be as good as your 20 y.o. self could have been or even better. I have been told that building muscle mass is much more difficult after 50, but I'm not actually sure that is true. Seems to me that I have demonstrated the opposite every year, and I'm in my mid-50's.

Climb01742
02-13-2015, 09:21 AM

Finding Carlisle is easy. Just follow the mosquitoes.

leftyfreak
02-13-2015, 10:04 AM

But how does he get back to Arlington?

Ti Designs
02-13-2015, 10:15 AM

I got so lost this morning...

paredown
02-13-2015, 11:23 AM
I thought the same thing. It seems like the actual decay in physical ability doesn't really occur until sometime in the '60s. Before that, we tend to abuse ourselves and let some abilities go, but the potential is still there. Certainly, mid-30's is a time when you can be as good as your 20 y.o. self could have been or even better. I have been told that building muscle mass is much more difficult after 50, but I'm not actually sure that is true. Seems to me that I have demonstrated the opposite every year, and I'm in my mid-50's.

Somebody turned me on to Joe Friel's 'Cycling Past 50'--a good book for us older folk when I was complaining about my level of fitness.

I'll turn 63 in about a month--and I notice that I am loosing muscle mass (somewhat) just in the past couple of years. I did have the disadvantage of not continuing with cycling through my 30s and 40s--but I know since I have come back to it, there is no way I have been able match the fitness I had when I was racing in my 20s--especially in raw strength, but also cardiovascular.

I often wonder how I would be doing if I had just continued.

That said, I actually treasure every ride on the bike now--it is no longer connected with pain and suffering (as it was in my racing days), and because I'm going slower I see, hear and smell a lot more. And how can you not feel that every day on the bike at my age is a gift, given the friends who have serious medical conditions, or sadly are no longer with us.

teleguy57
02-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Somebody turned me on to Joe Friel's 'Cycling Past 50'--a good book for us older folk when I was complaining about my level of fitness.

I'll turn 63 in about a month--and I notice that I am loosing muscle mass (somewhat) just in the past couple of years. I did have the disadvantage of not continuing with cycling through my 30s and 40s--but I know since I have come back to it, there is no way I have been able match the fitness I had when I was racing in my 20s--especially in raw strength, but also cardiovascular.

I often wonder how I would be doing if I had just continued.

That said, I actually treasure every ride on the bike now--it is no longer connected with pain and suffering (as it was in my racing days), and because I'm going slower I see, hear and smell a lot more. And how can you not feel that every day on the bike at my age is a gift, given the friends who have serious medical conditions, or sadly are no longer with us.

Just found out about Friel's latest, Fast After 50 (http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2015/01/what-it-takes-to-be-fast-after-50.html). I may pick up a copy.

At 60 last year was my best cycling year in quite a while. I attribute a lot of it to lots of kettlebell work in the winter, then lots of early road miles with our mild spring. This season has defaulted to old patterns; was doing weight work pretty consistently in Dec/Jan, then had a slight injury (from something stupid, not in the gym) which set me back quite a bit. Just coming back into gym stuff at lighter weights than when I hurt myself, and not putting nearly as much time in on the rollers/road as last year. Time to HTFU and hit it harder. Not ready to start sliding just beause the ones digit column flips over again!

And yes, need to work to be more appreciate. Have had a string of acquaintances my age or even younger with scary stuff, like out of nowhere grade 4 cancers. One was gone within a couple of weeks, another's prognosis is several months at best....