PDA

View Full Version : A poll on buying my book

velotel
02-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Guess I'll give it a go again and see if the result is any different. Seems the edit a post doesn't allow adding a poll to it so I have to start over again. Maybe this time I'll be smarter than the program. No guarantees there.

I’m in the final stages of publishing my book on riding in France and am figuring out what size a run I want to do, or perhaps I should say how small a run I want to do. So I thought a poll here on the forum could be interesting. Just so you know before responding to the poll, the book won’t be cheap, around 35$ probably. The profusion of color photos printed on good quality, large format paper is mostly behind that. I think around 90% of the pages, maybe more, have color on them. A small run size isn’t conducive to driving the price down either.

The book is only going to be sold on-line via Vecchio’s and in any other bike shops that contact me with a desire to sell it. You won’t find it on Amazon or in any book shops, unless there’s some small shop somewhere who contacts me and orders a few because the owner loves riding and has exceptionally good taste in literature.

The book will be printed in China by an underage labor force of course. Okay, okay, just kidding, the printer’s in Colorado, kind of the equivalent of the smaller, professional local bike shop mentality with a passion for what they do, in this case printing books.

I have no intention of doing an e-book version. I like books, I like their weight, I like turning the pages, I like propping them up in front of me while I eat, I like seeing them lined up on shelves, I like reading and re-reading and re-reading books. E-books just don’t do much for me so since it’s my book, no e-book version.

I hope you don’t mind but from time to time I’ll probably bump this post up since not all the members are on the site every day. Thanks.

So, the poll :

The chance of you NOT buying the book is slim to non-existent.

You’ll probably buy it but first want to hear what others say about it.

You might buy it if it isn’t too expensive.

You could go either way, all depends on what you hear, the phase of the moon, the results of the next election, which component group you’re riding.

The chance of you buying is the book is slim at best but who knows, miracles do happen.

The chance of you buying the book is non-existent, no matter how high on the NY Times best selling list it is.

A book! Is this a serious question or did the first of April arrive early.

velotel
02-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Okay, I give up but at least one poll question is there. Couldn't see any option for the others. Like I said, the program's smarter than me. Cheers

Black Dog
02-11-2015, 09:57 AM
I love your posts about your rides. Since I do occasionally get over to ride in the Alps, I will be on your list of buyers.

Anarchist
02-11-2015, 10:05 AM
I know this will sound depressingly pedestrian, but ...

If it were an ebook, yes.

About 5 years ago my family started to express concern that the floors in the house may give way under the accumulated weight of books stacked seemingly everywhere.

About 3 years ago (?) they gave me a first gen iPad and my book buying has since then been confined (agreement and force of circumstance) to ebook. It really is making a difference in house clutter.

So .....

jr59
02-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Aww...heck, that Potter guy can sell me anything. I'm interested

makoti
02-11-2015, 10:12 AM
While it is unlikely I'd buy it anyway (not my preferred type of reading), I am sure I would not buy it if not in ebook format. Since I got my tablet, it makes no sense to have a large, heavy book to carry around. And if it's a "coffee table book", I already have enough of those.
Good luck, though. Think it's great you're getting it out!

sparky33
02-11-2015, 10:13 AM
I love your posts about your rides. Since I do occasionally get over to ride in the Alps, I will be on your list of buyers.

Ditto.
Glad to see this happening.

mbrtool
02-11-2015, 11:33 AM
I will buy it.

pmac
02-11-2015, 12:38 PM
I'd buy it for sure.

sillverchevy
02-11-2015, 12:41 PM
As a long time lurker and reader of your pictures and exploits, I would buy it, absolutely No need for examples of pics and writings for me.....Ive seen plenty in the past. Good Luck.

abalone
02-11-2015, 12:43 PM
I'd probably buy it. I like adventure books, and stuff about cycling and riding around France would definitely be an interesting read. $35 is a bit steep, but I might be more willing to buy at about $20.

Color photos aren't a big deal to me. I want to read about the adventure and some lower quality pages that are black-and-white don't really detract from the story. In fact, it kind of gives it a vintage, warm feel to it. The selling point is the adventure, not so much the pictures. If I wanted a color picture book of France, there are a ton of those travel books already on the shelves at Barnes and Noble.

bocarider
02-11-2015, 01:37 PM
I'll buy it for sure.

MattTuck
02-11-2015, 01:48 PM
I guess I am little confused about the type of book it is. It sounds like a coffee table book, based on the pictures. Is this a book of your exploits and thoughts on riding there? or is it a guide book that one could read to prepare for a self directed cycling trip there?

Rapha has several books on the climbs of the Alps, so I'm not sure how it compares to those.

It sounds interesting, but I probably wouldn't be a buyer unless I was actively planning a trip to ride there.

choke
02-11-2015, 02:46 PM
I'm definitely a buyer.

jds108
02-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Count me in. Looking forward to big beautiful pictures and your great writing style.

KF9YR
02-11-2015, 03:14 PM
I will buy and use the pictures as an excuse to take my travel bike to France

KF9YR
02-11-2015, 03:28 PM
I will buy and use the pictures as an excuse to take my travel bike to France

Cicli
02-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Count me in on the I would buy it crowd.

The poll confuses me.

54ny77
02-11-2015, 03:40 PM
count me in. i've been asking for this for ages!

awesome. good luck and pls., keep us posted.

redir
02-11-2015, 03:46 PM
Are you a writer? A photographer? Artist? Or just some dude that went to France and took a buncha pics? ;)

Plus... Honestly, this sentance:

The chance of you NOT buying the book is slim to non-existent

Is way to hard for me to understand :D

I mean it too.

I'm the type of person that would wait for reviews and or want to see it before I buy it but if it's a nice coffee table book then well, I've got two coffee tables and am building a home bike shop now where I intend on having another coffee table.