PDA

View Full Version : This morning I got up waaaaaay before oldpotatoe did!!!

weisan
02-11-2015, 04:25 AM
nah...got an old friend who called me yesterday night saying he's in town and wanted to meet. So I am getting up early to catch the first train so we can meet for breakfast before I head into work....that is all.

I like my 8 hours or more of sleep...:banana:

Cicli
02-11-2015, 04:36 AM
nah...got an old friend who called me yesterday night saying he's in town and wanted to meet. So I am getting up early to catch the first train so we can meet for breakfast before I head into work....that is all.

I like my 8 hours or more of sleep...:banana:

Bahhhhhh, I am up at 2:30, on the trainer from 3-4 and off to work by 5 am. Daily. The best part, I am home for the day by 1:30 or 2 and haven't worked a weekend in 15 years.

giverdada
02-11-2015, 04:38 AM
being up early is my favorite.

getting up early is painful and horrible.

Gsinill
02-11-2015, 06:16 AM
That explains your PMs at 4:30 am... (kind of wondering about the one at 9:40 pm the day before, less than 5h of sleep?)
Bahhhhhh, I am up at 2:30, on the trainer from 3-4 and off to work by 5 am. Daily. The best part, I am home for the day by 1:30 or 2 and haven't worked a weekend in 15 years.

oldpotatoe
02-11-2015, 06:27 AM

Hope you go to bed early..I am all in by about 8pm..gotta have my 8 hours 'little slices of death', each night.

victoryfactory
02-11-2015, 06:43 AM
Get up at 4:15am
Leave for work at 5:45
Get Home from work at 2:30pm
Eat Dinner ~ 4:00
Unconscious by 9:00pm
Repeat

My friends tell me to get a life when I decline "Superbowl" invitations, etc.
and can't discuss what happened on late night TV but I point out that
my weekends are sacred and I do get in ~ 6 weeks of travel per year....

no complaints, no regrets
VF

JAllen
02-11-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm with the early crowd myself. Up at 0430, hop on the ol' steed at around 0615 to get to work by 0700, home and in bed by 2130-2145. I would be in bed sooner but the wife works normal people hours and likes to spend time with me. What can I say? I'm a blast to be around! :P

This is with my newish job. I used to work in the uniform delivery service and 0430 was sleeping in...

Schmed
02-11-2015, 07:48 AM

:)

guido
02-11-2015, 07:53 AM
Up at 5:00am, on the trainer 5:05-6:00. Leave for work at 6:40.
Back home at 5:00pm, back on the trainer 5:15-6:30. In bed by 9:00-9:30.
I'm a software developer. I often have virtual meetings with folks on the other end of the world first thing in the morning. Here in the Greater Boston area it also is a nice way to minimize the chaos of the commutes... It will get warm enough for me to transfer those trainer rides to bike commutes some time in the next two months of so...

Lewis Moon
02-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Get up at 4:15am
Leave for work at 5:45
Get Home from work at 2:30pm
Eat Dinner ~ 4:00
Unconscious by 9:00pm
Repeat

My friends tell me to get a life when I decline "Superbowl" invitations, etc.
and can't discuss what happened on late night TV but I point out that
my weekends are sacred and I do get in ~ 6 weeks of travel per year....

no complaints, no regrets
VF

Up at 3:55 and off to work by 4:30. Otherwise this^

Ken Robb
02-11-2015, 09:40 AM
I would be interested in knowing where you guys live/work and what you do. So many people here seem to be working other than "normal" 9-5 jobs.

I'm with Ancient Tater-9pm means we have stayed up late. I suppose this is because Leslie has a job and her alarm goes off at 5am or 5:45 depending on the day.

Then, on many afternoons, Eric crawls into my lap and won't let me up until we have a little nap.

Cornfed
02-11-2015, 09:53 AM

So true.

victoryfactory
02-11-2015, 10:15 AM
I would be interested in knowing where you guys live/work and what you do. So many people here seem to be working other than "normal" 9-5 jobs.

I'm with Ancient Tater-9pm means we have stayed up late. I suppose this is because Leslie has a job and her alarm goes off at 5am or 5:45 depending on the day.

Then, on many afternoons, Eric crawls into my lap and won't let me up until we have a little nap.

In my case, I'm a small business owner. I get to work 3 hrs before everybody else to do all the ordering, inventory, snooping, bill paying, web editing, product development, Tax filing, pricing, sales analyzing, paperwork, daydreaming, planning, paceline posting, marketing, emailing, order processing type stuff etc.

When we open at 9:00am I've got most of that out of the way. Then I shout, cajole, yell, complain, teach, learn, complement, laugh, complain, schmooze, fill in for missing employees and do a little customer service until around 2:00pm and then I escape, giving everyone a couple of hours free of my micro managing and control-freaking around the shop.

Took many years to get it to this state, and I'm grateful.

VF

Ken Robb
02-11-2015, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=victoryfactory;1706406]In my case, I'm a small business owner. I get to work 3 hrs before everybody else to do all the ordering, inventory, snooping, bill paying, web editing, product development, Tax filing, pricing, sales analyzing, paperwork, daydreaming, planning, paceline posting, marketing, emailing, order processing type stuff etc.

When we open at 9:00am I've got most of that out of the way. Then I shout, cajole, yell, complain, teach, learn, complement, laugh, complain, schmooze, fill in for missing employees and do a little customer service until around 2:00pm and then I escape, giving everyone a couple of hours free of my micro managing and control-freaking around the shop.

Took many years to get it to this state, and I'm grateful.

VF[/QUOTE:
I lived in Long Beach, NY and then on the Forest Hills/Jamaica border in 1965-66. My office was in Rockefeller Center but my sales territory was all of L.I. and South Westchester County so I know your commute may be not too bad.

Lewis Moon
02-11-2015, 11:01 AM

I'm a biologist. Fish get up early.

JAllen
02-11-2015, 11:43 AM

I'm currently working for a document management /shredding company as courier for the records division. So in other words, I drive a truck and heave boxes around all while planning my eventual escape to go to school for environmental science/ city planning (more bike infrastructure!)/ resource management.

cderalow
02-11-2015, 12:24 PM
up at 4. shower at 4:15 (after a nice morning BM). breakfast at 4:45 start waking kids up at 5:30, out the door by 6:45, to work by 7:30

leave work at 5, home by 6:15 most days dinner. sleep at 11:00-12:00

repeat

notsew
02-11-2015, 12:46 PM
2:30 am is a late night, not an early morning! Although I can't remember the last time I was up past midnight.

I get up at 5 to fit in my two hour commute before my 8 am start time. It feels reaaaal early every time.

Ken Robb
02-11-2015, 12:56 PM
2:30 am is a late night, not an early morning! Although I can't remember the last time I was up past midnight.

I get up at 5 to fit in my two hour commute before my 8 am start time. It feels reaaaal early every time.

2 hours EACH WAY??:eek:

Seramount
02-11-2015, 12:59 PM
any time before sunrise is obscenely early.

farmer's hours...no thank you.

notsew
02-11-2015, 01:29 PM
2 hours EACH WAY??:eek:

Yeah, it's insane. :help:

The reasoning is complicated, but comes down to really liking where I live, money and domestic bliss. As with everything, you get used to it. Once the student loans are paid off, I'll be looking for something closer to home.

guido
02-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Is that 2 hours by bike or car?

I get up at 5 to fit in my two hour commute before my 8 am start time.

notsew
02-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Is that 2 hours by bike or car?

Man, I wish it was by bike. An hour in the car and another on the train.

Drmojo
02-11-2015, 11:35 PM

march thru october
with train and bike
2 1/2 hours each way
( only 2-3 days per week
Davis to Napa over Mt George and back

Cicli
02-12-2015, 02:49 AM
You guys keep crazy hours.
Coffee this morning then a run. It's almost 3:00 now.

bobswire
02-12-2015, 07:28 AM

I thought that was make believe in movies starring Hepburn and Grant living in the Hamptons. In real life everyone lives in a city like me and either walk, rode their bike or took the muni to work. :)

bking
02-12-2015, 12:38 PM

My brother did that driving from Santa Rosa into San Francisco every day, three hours total in a car. Could not, would not do that.

I'm third generation contractor. bought my dad out in '02 and expanded it from phoenix az into las vegas (where i now live) and salt lake area--very strong economy. got some nice hills to climb too.
up each day at 4:22. Ride for two hours with a small group of friends, year round. to work at about 8:30--twenty min commute, leave when i'm done, anytime from noon to 4pm.
this is the new schedule. won't bother you with the one i was on through the 90's and early 2000 to get to this one. i like this one better.

rounder
02-12-2015, 08:07 PM

Yours sounds like a commute from hell.

My normal drive is only 1.5 hours each way from north of Baltimore to north of D.C. But, when I work in D.C. my commute is more like 2+ hours each way because I ride the train and then take the subway to get there.

Ride my bike on weekends.

AngryScientist
02-12-2015, 08:24 PM
my commute in the AM is 45 minutes now-a-days. to be honest, it's almost the sweet spot of my days. turn on NPR (WNYC) and have some time to myself for a little while before hitting the chaos of work. i leave the house around 615 to be at my desk at 7AM, which puts me on the road before the bulk of the traffic, so i just cruise in.

rounder
02-12-2015, 09:22 PM
NPR is good.

I listen to Sirius (because I drive so far) radio for CNN and FOX for their news. Also listen to the Sirius country and blues channels for music.