PDA

View Full Version : A poll on buying my book

velotel
02-11-2015, 02:49 AM
I’m in the final stages of publishing my book on riding in France and am figuring out what size a run I want to do, or perhaps I should say how small a run I want to do. So I thought a poll here on the forum could be interesting. Just so you know before responding to the poll, the book won’t be cheap, around 35$ probably. The profusion of color photos printed on good quality, large format paper is mostly behind that. I think around 90% of the pages, maybe more, have color on them. A small run size isn’t conducive to driving the price down either.

The book is only going to be sold on-line via Vecchio’s and in any other bike shops that contact me with a desire to sell it. You won’t find it on Amazon or in any book shops, unless there’s some small shop somewhere who contacts me and orders a few because the owner loves riding and has exceptionally good taste in literature.

The book will be printed in China by an underage labor force of course. Okay, okay, just kidding, the printer’s in Colorado, kind of the equivalent of the smaller, professional local bike shop mentality with a passion for what they do, in this case printing books.

I have no intention of doing an e-book version. I like books, I like their weight, I like turning the pages, I like propping them up in front of me while I eat, I like seeing them lined up on shelves, I like reading and re-reading and re-reading books. E-books just don’t do much for me so since it’s my book, no e-book version.

I hope you don’t mind but from time to time I’ll probably bump this post up since not all the members are on the site every day. Thanks.

So, the poll :

The chance of you NOT buying the book is slim to non-existent.

You’ll probably buy it but first want to hear what others say about it.

You might buy it if it isn’t too expensive.

You could go either way, all depends on what you hear, the phase of the moon, the results of the next election, which component group you’re riding.

The chance of you buying is the book is slim at best but who knows, miracles do happen.

The chance of you buying the book is non-existent, no matter how high on the NY Times best selling list it is.

A book! Is this a serious question or did the first of April arrive early.

velotel
02-11-2015, 03:07 AM
You can delete this because I was unable to understand how to do the poll stuff. The info on the faq page to my limited brain didn't correspond with the actual page of filling the poll. Sorry about that. Maybe someone can send me a message and tell me how to do the poll stuff. Thanks

weisan
02-11-2015, 03:55 AM
Velo pal, I can help, in fact I WANT to help!!! I sent you a PM.

weisan
02-11-2015, 04:05 AM
These are the instructions:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post

Go to the section that says: "Create A New Poll"

Creating a new poll

When you post a new thread, you may have the option to also create a poll.

This function allows you to ask a question and specify a number of possible responses. Other members will then be able to vote for the response they wish, and the results of the voting will be displayed in the thread.

An example poll might be:

What is your favorite color?

Red
Blue
Yellow
Green
Sky-blue pink with yellow spots

To create a poll when you post a new thread, simply click the 'Yes! post a poll' checkbox at the bottom of the page, and set the number of possible responses you want to include.

When you click the submit button, you will be taken to the poll creation page, where you can specify the question and the list of responses you want to include.

You may also want to specify a time limit for the poll, so that (for example) it only stays open for voting for a week.

Voting in and viewing a poll

To vote in a poll, simply select which option you want to vote for, and click the [Vote!] button. You may view the current results for a poll before you vote by clicking the 'View Results' link. Voting in a poll is entirely optional. You may vote for any of the available options, or cast no vote at all.

Generally, once you have voted in a poll, you will not be able to change your vote later, so place your vote carefully!

572cv
02-11-2015, 07:06 AM
Later, when the poll is up live, I'll tell you I'll buy it. The book will be terrific, I've no doubt.

Right now, I'm thinking about how many friends might want it in addition. I'm all over encouraging cycling pals to ride in France because it is just so wonderful. A number of them have woken up and smelled the café. I am anticipating my next trip in early Autumn, not sure where yet, but it is all good.

zap
02-11-2015, 07:55 AM
Velotel, an excerpt from the book and a photo or two might help with your polling.

OtayBW
02-11-2015, 07:58 AM
What is the size of the book - how large are the pics, etc.?

mhespenheide
02-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Velotel,

I totally understand where you're coming from in preferring the physicality of an actual book. I love books. That said, I have no plans of travelling to France and the Alps anytime soon and might well move a few times before I do. Consequently, I'm unlikely to buy a physical book... but I'd probably pick up an e-book "just in case" if it were, say $8 to $10 or so.

I fully support your right as an artist/author to make your own decision about the matter, though.

tuxbailey
02-11-2015, 11:37 AM
velotel, an excerpt from the book and a photo or two might help with your polling.

+1

pbarry
02-11-2015, 07:18 PM
The format is important, and you are going in the right direction. Love your posts, V, but, due to digitally induced ADD, they tend to go long for my attention span. ;)

OTOH, a coffee-table sized book would have me me reading your chapters through, one or two a night. If the book is over 6' x 9", or 8" x 10", it sounds like it will be priced at cost. I would pay more, and will buy my copy at Vecchio's.

thwart
02-11-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm very supportive (I'd buy it as described), and I see options for marketing this as an ideal cyclist's gift as well, for example:

Give your cyclist a book about riding in France… it will dramatically increase the chances of a trip there with him/her… ;)

Look585
02-12-2015, 08:45 AM
I’m in the final stages of publishing my book on riding in France (snip)

Excellent, put me down for two.

From another thread:

Dear Velotel,

Please write a book. Include heaps of pictures of your stunning rides. Include pavement only, mixed terrain, and MTB content and route suggestions. Then write a chapter about local food, wine, beer, and culture.

Or simply continue posting some of the best content on The Paceline. Either way, I'll know where to look when planning my next trip to the alps.

Regards,

Look585

malcolm
02-12-2015, 08:49 AM
I'd buy it.
I try to support the creative endeavors of the forum members and probably not so surprisingly it's usually worth it. Repack rider's book was great with some cool stories and pics.
I've got history from a member whose name I can't recall coming up in my cue next.

ceolwulf
02-12-2015, 08:49 AM
I will come down on the side of paper books, and would purchase one. I've given up on ebooks entirely. I don't read them, I just forget they exist. What is a house anyway but a library with a bedroom?

fiamme red
02-12-2015, 08:55 AM
I will come down on the side of paper books, and would purchase one. I've given up on ebooks entirely. I don't read them, I just forget they exist. What is a house anyway but a library with a bedroom?Post of the day! :hello:

bking
02-12-2015, 12:21 PM
I will come down on the side of paper books, and would purchase one. I've given up on ebooks entirely. I don't read them, I just forget they exist. What is a house anyway but a library with a bedroom?

a kitchen, you forgot the kitchen.

velotel
02-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Awesome, best thing I've read in a good bit. Gotta love that, though like bking said, there is the kitchen bit too. I look at the books in my library every day as I pass, and I love cruising down the shelves when looking for something to read. Thanks for writing that, made my day, which was to be hones already an excellent day.

Kirk007
02-12-2015, 03:02 PM
I don't think I can afford it. Not the book; rather the annual trips to France that it will inspire ; ). Looking forward to it.