View Full Version : OT: Pliny the Younger

pdmtong
02-10-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm about an hour from sitting down

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/10/2468c435865a52d2b17bc054f1cd9744.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/10/fbbfde677a5b95494a77c205d5e423f3.jpg

OtayBW
02-10-2015, 04:44 PM
This is quite a guilt trip. I guess there must be a lot of pent-up hostility from his parents naming him Pliny.

Louis
02-10-2015, 04:45 PM
You need alternatives.

http://www.plateoftheday.com/food_blog/nightTrainNThunderbird.gif

beeatnik
02-10-2015, 04:49 PM
pdm, I like your style.

malcolm
02-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Pliny the Younger only topped by the elder, although blind pig isn't bad either. I'm envious.
I'll trade you some for whatever I have available in the southeast, really.

thegunner
02-10-2015, 04:54 PM
is the juice worth the squeeze?

christian
02-10-2015, 05:02 PM
I enjoyed his uncle's book on agriculture.

milkbaby
02-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Looks like fun except for not being able to drink outside while waiting.

Not a big fan of beer releases, just a hassle. I'm in Florida and had plenty of opportunities to visit Cigar City for Hunapahu day before it became big, but my beer drinking pals and I were too lazy to book a hotel nearby to crash after imbibing and stocking the cellar...

:beer:

crownjewelwl
02-10-2015, 05:16 PM

No...

malcolm
02-10-2015, 05:21 PM

I think it depends on if you are a fan or not and who you go with.

The bulk sales, I think limited to two cases, of heady topper in vermont are out of control. Lines forever. Heady is an awesome IPA not sure how long I'd wait for it but would consider it in the right circumstances.

Raffy
02-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Not a big fan of beer releases, just a hassle. I'm in Florida and had plenty of opportunities to visit Cigar City for Hunapahu day before it became big, but my beer drinking pals and I were too lazy to book a hotel nearby to crash after imbibing and stocking the cellar...

:beer:

Yeah, last year's Hunahpu Day was a huge cluster to say the least.

I've waited 4+ hours in line for Younger in 2013 and while I personally don't think ANY beer is worth that wait, it was pretty damn tasty.

pdmtong
02-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Delicious

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/10/f76bdd4c4327341b59b896b8f36ca2cb.jpg

malcolm
02-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Man I'm jealous

Does anyone recall the name of the dive bar in SanFran with the sausage restaurant/stand next door?? That's a great place to enjoy a Pliny.

etu
02-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Does anyone recall the name of the dive bar in SanFran with the sausage restaurant/stand next door?? That's a great place to enjoy a Pliny.

Toronado on Haight has Pliny the Elder and the Younger.

fiamme red
02-10-2015, 09:31 PM
I'm disappointed. I thought this thread would be about Latin literature. :)

pdmtong
02-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Since I'm the beholder it was worth it. Hung out with a great friend, drank the unobtanium and brought home spoils. Two cases is liquid gold when every store around has a one bottle allocation if you can find it and get there in time before it sells out

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/10/d958c88fcd8cc2fac9394edf5522fe42.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/10/cda64f68fc9227a14e6c70fd428fe391.jpg.

This year they had the whole experience more dialed. Shown to a table and ordered. No more contention for a place to sit
Four hour wait sitting in the sun. Great day.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-10-2015, 11:36 PM
Nice!

soulspinner
02-11-2015, 05:25 AM
Every wed nite my beer buds and I go do the beer nerd thing, rating mostly IPA and Lagers. Its within walking distance and two for one at $5.75 per pint. In the last 5 years, the number of craft breweries has gone up five times. Good times..........

Stephen2014
02-11-2015, 10:52 AM
http://puritybrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Saddle_Info.png

One that I like.

Stephen2014
02-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Glitch

ptourkin
02-11-2015, 05:52 PM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/cecilhayduke/IMG_20150211_150738.jpg

Found the PTY line on the last k of my ride today. Totally fsclkng delicious. Haters gonna hate. It is that good. I had an Elder next to it for comparison. I will have it at least once more this year. I live 3 blocks from Hamilton's Tavern which has the Elder almost always.

boliverpsych24
02-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Beautiful!

jmoore
02-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Never had it. I would not wait 4 hours on line for any beer. I'll try it if I can find it somewhere.

pdmtong
02-11-2015, 07:54 PM
So I had PtY today for a re-dux at the local pub and since wasn't driving tried or side side with PtE. Of course the price was some 4x since half the glass size and twice the price. They got one small keg enough for 140 people

It was a Brad Pitt experience

Very happy with Jennifer (PtE) until Angelina (PtY) showed up.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/861b521066bdc56c7c614b2e2d07348e.jpg

malcolm
02-11-2015, 08:23 PM
So you liked the younger better?? Never had them side by side or even within months of one another but I was thinking I liked the elder better.

Well I guess I've got to schedule another trip to Cali.

Jack Brunk
02-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Had a taste down south and was really bummed out. So many better ca beers.
Russian river does a great job of branding their beers. Been to the brewery, food is decent, beers are OK. Maybe 5 years ago but not now. Pliny whatever which one is way behind the curve. Sorry to burst the bubble.

Just one dudes opinion.

pdmtong
02-12-2015, 12:06 AM
So you liked the younger better?? Never had them side by side or even within months of one another but I was thinking I liked the elder better. Well I guess I've got to schedule another trip to Cali.

The Younger is just bigger in every way - depth, intensity, finish. That said, for me, I could only drink a pint and a half or so - any more and I am on the floor since the ABV is 10+. The Elder I fell like would be a better all afternoon type beer. So I would say if I could only have one, it'd be the Younger but like bikes, they both can fill a niche

Had a taste down south and was really bummed out. So many better ca beers.
Russian river does a great job of branding their beers. Been to the brewery, food is decent, beers are OK. Maybe 5 years ago but not now. Pliny whatever which one is way behind the curve. Sorry to burst the bubble. Just one dudes opinion.

JB! did you move from socal yet?

No worries - we all have our likes and dislikes. For sure the "only available for two weeks a year" is a marketing masterstroke.

Kinda funny, some time I feel the same way about Stone. This must be Norcal vs Socal biases? :) :)

fuzzalow
02-12-2015, 05:25 AM
I feel as though a brew-ski hillbilly in that I have neither the knowledge nor the taste in the pursuit of such libations.

That quest described in this thread is unknown to me and I feel like I'm missing out - kinda like the thinking in the USSR-era Soviet Union that even if you didn't know what the line was for you got on it because people queued up for stuff that was good or stuff that was scarce. PtY is both.

The closest thing I know about phenomena like this in NYC was the line to buy a cronut! How stupid is that! So much for the supposed cultural superiority of a Manhattanite...waiting on line to buy a freaking cronut!

victoryfactory
02-12-2015, 05:37 AM
People drink while they are waiting in line to drink?

Do they also eat while they are in line to get into a restaurant?

bobswire
02-12-2015, 07:11 AM
People drink while they are waiting in line to drink?

Do they also eat while they are in line to get into a restaurant?

Kinda like standing in line to buy the latest iphone while talking on an iphone you purchased 11 months ago. Personally I'm not much for standing in line,especially for buying beer but I did make an exception to see the Rolling Stones back in the day.

malcolm
02-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Jack good to hear from you. I do like pliny though.
What Cali options do you like better?
How does Bear Republic stand up, I like racer 5 too.

ptourkin
02-12-2015, 08:37 AM
The Younger is just bigger in every way - depth, intensity, finish. That said, for me, I could only drink a pint and a half or so - any more and I am on the floor since the ABV is 10+. The Elder I fell like would be a better all afternoon type beer. So I would say if I could only have one, it'd be the Younger but like bikes, they both can fill a niche

JB! did you move from socal yet?

No worries - we all have our likes and dislikes. For sure the "only available for two weeks a year" is a marketing masterstroke.

Kinda funny, some time I feel the same way about Stone. This must be Norcal vs Socal biases? :) :)

I live in Stone county - what they started is great, but it's in Costco now - no comparison to RR and the line that I stood in is blocks from a Stone tasting room. There are so many craft brewers in town who have been influenced and trained by Stone but what they are making in smaller quantities is far more sought after and tasty (IMO.)

I enjoyed this year's Younger far more than last years. It is a 3x IPA so yeah, the fact that it was had 3 blocks from home was a plus, but I found it absolutely delicious. I stood in line for less than an hour and was served instantly. Hamilton's knows what they are doing. My next taste will be at a ticketed event for charity.

To those who say they don't get it - do you bother explaining the difference between your Serrotta to a Scattante to co-workers? Why bother (or comment?)

Uncle Jam's Army
02-12-2015, 08:53 AM
I've had it several years ago, and found that it combined hops, fruit, and alcohol better than any other IPA I've ever had, single, double, or triple. Was it worth the 4-hour wait standing in line? No. No beer is worth that.

As for Cali IPA's, Sculpin is the go-to for me. Always consistent, always good (these small craft breweries tend to have variations to their batches, sometimes wild variations). If you can find it, or if you find yourself in Alpine, California, Alpine Nelson and Pursuit of Hoppiness is mind-blowingly good. Honorable mention goes to Port Brewing Mongo, Mother Earth Kismet, and Noble Showers Series.

malcolm
02-12-2015, 09:07 AM
I've had it several years ago, and found that it combined hops, fruit, and alcohol better than any other IPA I've ever had, single, double, or triple. Was it worth the 4-hour wait standing in line? No. No beer is worth that.

As for Cali IPA's, Sculpin is the go-to for me. Always consistent, always good (these small craft breweries tend to have variations to their batches, sometimes wild variations). If you can find it, or if you find yourself in Alpine, California, Alpine Nelson and Pursuit of Hoppiness is mind-blowingly good. Honorable mention goes to Port Brewing Mongo, Mother Earth Kismet, and Noble Showers Series.

Sculpin is available pretty widely now. I get it here in the southeast regularly and agree it's one of the best out there. Interestingly I detest their yellowfin pale ale.
Green Flash, less available here but we get some does some good IPA as well.

ptourkin
02-12-2015, 09:43 AM

Alpine Nelson is the best!!! Pat and Val (founders) ride Holland Exogrids, btw. Let's hope that the quality stays the same as Green Flash expands the operation.

Saint Vitus
02-12-2015, 10:18 AM
To those who say they don't get it - do you bother explaining the difference between your Serrotta to a Scattante to co-workers? Why bother (or comment?)

Ever piss out titanium?

pdmtong
02-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Ironically, after the Younger keg ran out yesterday the "replacement" was Alpine nelson 7%. Unfortunately I could not spend all day there.

I'm not one to stand in long lines anymore. If you ask me would I drive the 2-3 hours from my place, stand in line for 4-5 hours by myself, and then drive back home for Younger?

No I would not. I would chose to find a local place, get less Younger, pay more for it, but only spend a few hours doing so and not all day.

The adventure of going to the source is more about hanging out with one of my best friends and catching up. Oh, and having some Younger thrown in.

That said, I think, you nailed it UJA - its supremely balanced. Best beer ever? Best bike ever? No such thing.

moose8
02-12-2015, 10:51 AM
I waited a crazy amount of time in line to get Westvleteren and it was completely and utterly worth it to me. Would it be worth it to most people? Probably not. I'd love to try the younger and would wait for it. Just managed to get some of the elder when I was in Oregon and it was delicious.

nighthawk
02-12-2015, 11:05 AM
Sometime around the holidays (early Dec?) I drove an hour to wait a few hours for some Tree House Brewery beers in Monson, MA. I'd heard good things about their beers, and the scarcity factor had me intrigued. It was also an opportunity to pick up something special for my brother who also likes to try new delicious beers. The wait was long, but they had an interesting (and slightly confusing) numbering system by which they filled orders first-come-first-served. It was nice, because you waited in quick line to put your order in, but then you were free to leave, or hang out without standing in a slowly moving line. You could also then get into their "tasting" line... where you were handed a free flight of whatever beers they had on tap. Again, you were then free to mill about, eat peanuts and tortilla chips, strike up conversations with some random people. Their space is strictly a retail location with counter top and floor space that was all of 800 square feet. The couple hours I was there it was PACKED, like uncomfortably close to strangers packed.

Interestingly enough, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the samples. They were pouring two American IPAs including their most popular Julius, and an American Blonde (if I remember correctly). I felt a little cheated as I waited and waited for them to fill my (purchased from them) 750mls and growlers. They had a 5 bottle max total, and individual maximums for each beer. Maybe it was the plastic sample cup, or the irritation of waiting in such a packed room. But when I tried the Julius at home, in a proper glass it was SUBLIME. It's how I imagine the Pliny's you west coasters talk about. Complex but well balanced flavors. Hop flavor... not just hop bitterness. It was real good.

I hear that this was a particularly busy night, and usually the wait isn't so long. Regardless, I haven't been back. Too inconvenient for me to make a regular trip out of it. Great for a special occasion, though.

The only other time I waited in line for beer was up in VT for a Lawson's anniversary party. I would wait all day for his beers. That stuff is liquid gold.

bshell
02-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Some simply won't 'get it'. Some folks don't have the palate. Others need to be too cool to be bothered.

Waited uncomfortably long for Russian River's Younger last year...and I had never waited for beer before. Well, it's that good.

As one firmly based in reality and allergic to hype (that drinks a fair amount of microbrew) I can say that it's the best to ever pass my lips (w/much still out there to try of course).

milkbaby
02-12-2015, 02:58 PM
I would stand in line for hours at a beer release if it were with friends, we were able to share some beers together during the wait, and one of my friends had twisted my arm enough for me to agree to it. Similarly, I pretty much never drive my bicycle to a ride and prefer to ride with others when I can ride out from the house to meet them.

While there is something to be said for drinking some special limited releases, there are so many good enjoyable beers out there nowadays that I don't get overly excited about any special stuff especially if it's a hassle to get/drink it. I did buy a case of 2014 Goose Island BCBS, but there were three cases just sitting there on the floor at the market when I went shopping for lunch. I wish Cigar City Marshall Zhukov wasn't so hard to get now because I had a vertical going from 2009 to 2013.

bluto
02-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Does admitting to not liking the taste of IPA's put me in a super uncool category?

Don't get me wrong I like beer, but man I can't do the REALLY hoppy thing.

rgr111
02-12-2015, 03:25 PM
I had it last year and remember being impressed with how smooth it was for such a strong, bitter beer.

Fwiw, we can get the Elder in our local liquor store every now and then and I almost like that one better.

Saint Vitus
02-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Does admitting to not liking the taste of IPA's put me in a super uncool category?

Don't get me wrong I like beer, but man I can't do the REALLY hoppy thing.

Nope, I'll choose a stout over an IPA any day of the week. To each his/her own, enjoy what brings a smile to your face (except certain outlier sex acts, then expect either complete derision, the police or both).

Likes2ridefar
02-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Would love to try the Pliny but seems out of reach and like rare beers such as westvleteren it's probably a lot of hype. I had heady topper a few weeks ago. IMO definitely not worth going out of the way for. It's great but no better than many other IPAs out there that I can buy in ny or ct.

Dreadnaught ipa from three floyds still is my favorite ipa but it's pretty tough to get unless you go to Indiana.

likebikes
02-13-2015, 12:29 AM
there was a pliny the younger tapping/release yesterday. tomorrow and sunday, monday, next week also.

couldn't find a reason to go, been on the wagon for the last bit.

and i'm a couple thousand miles east of california.

beeatnik
02-13-2015, 03:44 AM

Have you been to the Ramirez super store on Olympic in the former Fine's Market building? Who would have thought the best liquor store in the US would be in Boyle Heights. I guess there are advantages to the lax liquor regulations in "disadvantaged" communities.

goonster
02-13-2015, 04:57 AM
Russian river does a great job of branding their beers. Been to the brewery, food is decent, beers are OK. Maybe 5 years ago but not now. Pliny whatever which one is way behind the curve. Sorry to burst the bubble.
It is very, very difficult to brew well with bacteria. That is triply true at the scale and consistency that RR do it. There is a good reason those medals are there, and marketing has nothing to do with it. Vinnie is held in high esteem by his peers.

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Have you been to the Ramirez super store on Olympic in the former Fine's Market building? Who would have thought the best liquor store in the US would be in Boyle Heights. I guess there are advantages to the lax liquor regulations in "disadvantaged" communities.

Yes, Mad Dog 20/20 and Thunderbird are always well discounted...

There used to be a fantastic music store near the old Vex Club, Philips Music. Had tons of vintage stuff, long gone I'm sure.

malcolm
02-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Would love to try the Pliny but seems out of reach and like rare beers such as westvleteren it's probably a lot of hype. I had heady topper a few weeks ago. IMO definitely not worth going out of the way for. It's great but no better than many other IPAs out there that I can buy in ny or ct.

Dreadnaught ipa from three floyds still is my favorite ipa but it's pretty tough to get unless you go to Indiana.

I love Heady and think it's one of the better IPAs I've had, but it's palate dependent and the variability among IPAs is huge. I do agree there are many IPAs equally as good. I love beer and love the microbrew growth and exploring new ones.

Likes2ridefar
02-13-2015, 09:42 AM
I love Heady and think it's one of the better IPAs I've had, but it's palate dependent and the variability among IPAs is huge. I do agree there are many IPAs equally as good. I love beer and love the microbrew growth and exploring new ones.

it may not still be the case, but how did it become the #1 ranked beer in the world on either ratebeer or ba? i see it's ba #1. 19 on ratebeer.

I need to stress I think it's excellent, again, but I would be disappointed if I drove all the way to VT just for it.

Is it like westvletern 12, elusive and tasty = best? Westvlteren is very good but I would be challenged to distinguish it from other big trappist ales in a blind taste test.

with most the top beers that seems to be the case. Dark Lord Imperial stout is pretty much impossible to get unless you go to indiana on one day, or spend a $ at places like ebay. I got lucky and had Kate the Great on tap in Portsmouth. Didn't even realize it was so highly regarded when I had it, but thought it was excellent!

thegunner
02-13-2015, 10:06 AM
it may not still be the case, but how did it become the #1 ranked beer in the world on either ratebeer or ba? i see it's ba #1. 19 on ratebeer.

I need to stress I think it's excellent, again, but I would be disappointed if I drove all the way to VT just for it.

Is it like westvletern 12, elusive and tasty = best? Westvlteren is very good but I would be challenged to distinguish it from other big trappist ales in a blind taste test.

with most the top beers that seems to be the case. Dark Lord Imperial stout is pretty much impossible to get unless you go to indiana on one day, or spend a $ at places like ebay. I got lucky and had Kate the Great on tap in Portsmouth. Didn't even realize it was so highly regarded when I had it, but thought it was excellent!

you should come out of retirement and race for the GC at GMSR next year, just go off the front from the gun, then we'll sip on some heady topper. not a lost trip then :)

Likes2ridefar
02-13-2015, 10:10 AM
you should come out of retirement and race for the GC at GMSR next year, just go off the front from the gun, then we'll sip on some heady topper. not a lost trip then :)

That sounds very tempting. I will actually have the time then, AND that is the one race I never really got to race. I did it my first year as my first cat 1 race, but got a stomach bug the evening after the time trial. I finished all the stages but went from 9th overall after the TT to near the bottom. I could barely even pedal up the queen stage final climb.

beeatnik
02-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Yes, Mad Dog 20/20 and Thunderbird are always well discounted...

There used to be a fantastic music store near the old Vex Club, Philips Music. Had tons of vintage stuff, long gone I'm sure.

Philips Music on Brooklyn Ave/Cesar Chavez. Ya, I loved that store. When I was a kid thought one day I'd walk in with $500, buy a guitar and become the next Hendrix. I think it's been closed for about 10 years.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-13-2015, 11:26 AM

Nope. That's Roosevelt territory. I don't go west of Lorena Street. :p

Actually, never heard of it. Exactly where is it?

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 11:38 AM
Philips Music on Brooklyn Ave/Cesar Chavez. Ya, I loved that store. When I was a kid thought one day I'd walk in with $500, buy a guitar and become the next Hendrix. I think it's been closed for about 10 years.

It figures, but then I haven't been there in 34 years lol Yeah, music stores sell more dreams than they do instruments ;-)

beeatnik
02-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Nope. That's Roosevelt territory. I don't go west of Lorena Street. :p

Actually, never heard of it. Exactly where is it?

Wow, I'm revoking your Beer Snob credentials.

The original is on 8th just west of Euclid. The family patriarch was killed there in a hold up. At the time, they had just purchased a liquor store on Soto and Whittier called Camera (owned by a family friend). In the late 90s, they began to do keg sales and anticipated the DTLA residential resurgence. Short story long, they became the exclusive location for a bunch of micro and craft breweries. If you wanted a bottle of Pliny a few years back they were the only store in the LA area, RR would deal with. Oh, and considering their location, they do a decent business in $1000/plus tequilas. The Soto St location on a friday night is an interesting mix of Narcos, local drunks, homeless (who cant purchase malt liquor in volume in DTLA...tru story), USC kids, DTLA loft dwellers and beer snobs from all over LA.

The super store on Olympic is 10x bigger. They also have a store in Pico Rivera/Downey.

www.ramirezliquor.com

Btw, Sam from Stuffed Sandwich grew up near you and went to Garfield.

beeatnik
02-13-2015, 11:45 AM
It figures, but then I haven't been there in 34 years lol Yeah, music stores sell more dreams than they do instruments ;-)

The Vex reopened on Alhambra Rd in Hillside Village on a stretch of that street which the city is trying to transform into an Arts District. A lot of reconverted light industry, a lot of film production and a few studios.

Gonna listen to early SST stuff all day now...

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Oh, and considering their location, they do a decent business in $1000/plus tequilas.

I just cracked a bottle last night...

http://ramirezliquor.com/store/product/41385/1800-Collecion-Anejo-750m/

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 11:58 AM
The Vex reopened on Alhambra Rd in Hillside Village on a stretch of that street which the city is trying to transform into an Arts District. A lot of reconverted light industry, a lot of film production and a few studios.

Yeah I saw that while I was trying to remember the exact location. Did a show with Top Jimmy there, fun guy.

beeatnik
02-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Saint Vitus, I like your style

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Hey, I'm loading up the G70 with stuff for a weekend rendezvous in Toluca Lake with my sancha , I'll bring what's left in the bottle and drop it by.

beeatnik
02-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Don't play with my feelings...:bike:

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 12:23 PM
I wish lol My sancha went to Tejas with her boyfriend...

beeatnik
02-13-2015, 12:35 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7302/16334422589_b33b8aac18_o.jpg

SV, my SO works in law enforcement and tells me the preferred nomenclature in the Latino criminal underclass is "lady."

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 12:47 PM
hahahahaha

The only thing I cracked last night was a bottle of pedestrian whiskey to make a hot toddy with lol

ptourkin
02-13-2015, 12:48 PM

I saw pre-Rollins Black Flag at the Vex... maybe Keith but probably Ron/Chavo

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Ptourkin, I was just going to invoke your name in a reminder of the topic lol

So Hamilton's you say, has this Pliny stuff on tap?

ptourkin
02-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Yeah I saw that while I was trying to remember the exact location. Did a show with Top Jimmy there, fun guy.

Oh man, just realized connection with your screen name. Ha. Awesome. Old South Bay (El Segundo) punk. Black Flag used to practice in a place called the Maus House in town 80-81, maybe you too...? The Last used to work at Woody's Smorgasburger.

ptourkin
02-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Ptourkin, I was just going to invoke your name in a reminder of the topic lol

So Hamilton's you say, has this Pliny stuff on tap?

Hamilton's almost always has Elder on tap. Toronado had Younger on Monday or Tuesday. It's appeared all over 30th Street this week. The Blind Lady ticketed event is upcoming.

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 12:55 PM
Oh man, just realized connection with your screen name. Ha. Awesome. Old South Bay (El Segundo) punk. Black Flag used to practice in a place called the Maus House in town 80-81, maybe you too...? The Last used to work at Woody's Smorgasburger.

Not me, my screen name involves my other French bike lol No, I was strictly here in SD, though we got up to LA a bit during that time frame.

ptourkin
02-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Not me, my screen name involves my other French bike lol No, I was strictly here in SD, though we got up to LA a bit during that time frame.

At the risk of spoiling my chances, the BLAH tickets go on sale this weekend. They sell out in minutes, so click often.

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 01:04 PM
At the risk of spoiling my chances, the BLAH tickets go on sale this weekend. They sell out in minutes, so click often.

I'll check that out, thanks!

beeatnik
02-13-2015, 01:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing as Ptourkin

Saint Vitus
02-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Yeah I wasn't into that stuff. I knew some of the people in the OC and LA scenes, but mostly more mainstream punk, pop and new wave.

ptourkin
02-15-2015, 01:31 PM
The BLAH tickets lasted seconds. We got two.
Toronado had secret PTY on Friday.

bshell
02-15-2015, 02:53 PM
Went to Russian River yesterday and after a looong wait, P-T-Younger was not as good as last year:(

Our group's opinion, of course.

We presumably had some of batch #2 of 3(?). Time limit of three hours AND the Younger drink limit of three glasses was enforced this time also.

Beer w/friends on an 80* day in SR was still okay:)

Jack Brunk
02-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Went to Russian River yesterday and after a looong wait, P-T-Younger was not as good as last year:(

Our group's opinion, of course.

We presumably had some of batch #2 of 3(?). Time limit of three hours AND the Younger drink limit of three glasses was enforced this time also.

Beer w/friends on an 80* day in SR was still okay:)

That's the consensus of most that I know. The game has stepped up, Younger is not as good as Knee Deep Brewing , "Hoparillo" Only my and 6+ buds who brew for a living.

Jack Brunk
02-15-2015, 10:25 PM
All of the top Cali breweries are throwing out Triple IPA's all the time. Younger, Elder, there's a dozen or triple that equal or exceed them. Again, just a bunch of opinons.

Saint Vitus
02-16-2015, 07:38 PM

I looked at their site the other day and no mention was made, so it escaped my mind. Oh well, and you know the rest...

Hermes_Alex
02-17-2015, 10:17 AM
The secret Toronado PTY was great, they let me double-fist!

Saint Vitus
02-17-2015, 11:24 PM

Enjoy the brew, I'll stick with things I can find with regularity, life's to short to chase fairies...

ptourkin
02-18-2015, 07:52 AM
Enjoy the brew, I'll stick with things I can find with regularity, life's to short to chase fairies...

Small Bar had it yesterday. No lines...

Saint Vitus
02-18-2015, 11:10 AM

Yep, friends were there. It was all gone in 10 minutes from first pour.

pdmtong
02-18-2015, 11:44 AM
See list below.

What do you guys like?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/18/12680782d29a694443d5335fd97a31e2.jpg

svelocity
02-18-2015, 03:12 PM
I was at Small Bar yesterday (thank you ptourkin) and the PTY was delicious. They said they were out but I have my suspicions they were a few rounds left...

@pdmtong - Alpine Nelson is my favorite beer hands down but the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin is a close second. Enjoy!

ptourkin
02-18-2015, 04:54 PM
@ svelocity - That's two years in a row I got you Younger, buddy. At least I didn't have to crash for you to get it this time.

pdmtong - Nelson will rock your world, gwaranteed but all of that stuff is delicious. Tricerahops is yummy, too.

ptourkin
02-24-2015, 08:07 AM
Since Blind Lady was serving the PTE and PTY early on Sunday, we took the opportunity to see which would make a better breakfast beer, michelada style. I vote for the Younger.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/cecilhayduke/IMG_20150222_112524.jpg

denapista
02-24-2015, 02:57 PM
I've had PTY once at City Beer Store SF last year. I wasn't blown away. I mean... It's just beer and they pretty much all get you buzzed or drunk. Pliny the Younger is releasing on Thursday at Verdugo Bar in Glassell Park (LA). I'm sure the line is going to be around the corner like every year. Russian River sure hit it out of the park with the hype around this beer. I've had some amazing beers and pliny just doesn't do it for me when you factor in the hype. I love how people bash others for standing in line to buy shoes (Jordans), but wait hours on end for alcohol. Standing in a long line for beer absolutely makes no sense to me. If it's a good spot, I'm pretty sure they'll have other alternatives for you to get drunk and silly. Verdugo is having the entire Russian River lineup. I'm more into Blind Pig, Supplication, etc. to be honest Blind Pig is pretty damn good when compared to PTY and the lengthy waits to try it.

I was in SF for beer week and just missed the PTY at Toronado. I went next door to Noc Noc where Three Floyds Dark Lord was being released. Hold your chairs on this one. They released Three Floyds dark Lord 2012 stout, but it was one bottle and they were charging $8 for a shot glass pour. So they basically made $100's of dollars off of one $20 bottle. Craft beer has come along way.

pdmtong
02-24-2015, 06:45 PM
... but the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin is a close second. Enjoy!

Got the call from my man at the store that the GF sculpin arrived - thanks much for the endorsement. I took action.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/24/8d8723e7dc580719ccdc9405fa0c472a.jpg

Jack Brunk
02-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Had the grapefruit on tap and it was damn good. A tad lighter for my tastes but it's a good one.

Anarchist
02-24-2015, 11:11 PM
See list below.

What do you guys like?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/18/12680782d29a694443d5335fd97a31e2.jpg

From that list?

I would stay home.

ptourkin
02-25-2015, 10:20 AM
From that list?

I would stay home.

Yeah. Those are disgusting. Care to elaborate?

Saint Vitus
02-25-2015, 11:57 AM

As they again did yesterday... Fairly packed, I got there early and had a nice stout (mocha something another, I forget I asked Louis to choose) and lay in wait while I chatted with friends.

So at the prescribed hour I was served a glass. Very nice head, tasty and welcoming. I jumped in and was surprised at the beauty of the girl I was talking wi... wait of the amber, yes her name was Amber, I mean the color, the amber color and the luscious tones exuding from her mouth.. I mean the flavors from of the first sip of the delicious eyes.. ahh whatever. It as good, very good. Mind blowingly so though? Ahhhh well I'm a novice.

Sadly I had somewhere to be and thus, drunk the appellation rather quickly not fully letting it settle between sips. She walked me to my car and we parted with a hug... I came to the conclusion that I am but a philistine with such matters of beer, woman though are another thing.

pdmtong
02-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Grapefruit Sculpin. Awesome!

Normally i do not like citrusy beers, but this was simply outstanding. So balanced - great mouth feel and finish.

Likes2ridefar
02-27-2015, 01:33 PM
I luckily caught this last page before heading to the grocery store yesterday. I was pleased to see cases of grapefruit sculpin piled high alongside nugget nectar and stone delicious ipa.

it was a good day of scoring quality beer.

i bought a 6 pack of each. i really like the grapefruit. one of the best I've had recently. the wife gave it a thumbs up as well.