PDA

View Full Version : campagnolo levers with trp hy/rd

vqdriver
02-10-2015, 11:54 AM
this post will be mostly informational.

this is very specifically regarding this particular pairing, not any other disc caliper. completely different from bb7, cx75, spyre, etc.... they have nothing to do with this. cable only disc calipers are fundamentally different than the mixed mech/hydro nature of the hy/rd calipers.

so basically, campy levers don't pull enough cable for this caliper. with stock levers and by-the-book installation, the levers will pull nearly to the handlebars before the pads make contact. from there the lever feel is good but too close to the bars for comfort. it doesn't bottom out, but really it's just too close. with a thick bar tape or non ergo bend bar it probably would touch.

there are a couple homegrown remedies for this online, neither of which are ideal.

first is to introduce some more hydraulic fluid into the system. with the pistons only slightly extended (and pads removed), add a few drops to the reservoir, just enough so that when you close it back up a small amount will seep out. that ensures it's full up. this will effectively push the pads closer and reduce the lever pull but you sacrifice some pad clearance. this may not be an issue if the rotors can still spin freely, but tolerances come way down and even a slightly warped rotor will rub.

alternatively, you can mount the cable on the inside of the mounting bolt, as opposed to the outside position the caliper is designed for. this shortens the lever arm, shortening the required cable pull. this does not affect pad clearance but does require you to file off a bit of aluminum that blocks the cable path. (easier to understand if you're looking at the caliper as you read this. but if you have them, you'll know immediately what i'm saying here). downside is, of course, that you're taking a file to your brakes.
i've read online that someone simply screwed the bolt in from the bottom up instead of top down and routing the cable the same way on the inside of the bolt. this works as well, but didn't seem as secure to me seeing as how it's a smooth finish down there with nothing to really "grip" the cable.

a call to trp (tektro) was educational. yes, they are certainly aware of this. their response:

the new shimano levers pull more cable than 'traditional' road levers that we're accustomed to. sram levers pull more as well. not quite as much as shimano, but close. campy has increased their cable pull too, but not as much as sram, a fair bit behind shimano.

what is interesting is that the pull curve for campy is non-linear. meaning the first bit of lever pull pulls a lot of cable, and then it tapers off as the lever pull progresses. ostensibly, this is to give more pad clearance with traditional calipers. when you pull the brake lever it will quickly bring the pads in to the rim then the tapering off of the pull ratio allows improved modulation. great in theory, not so great with these brakes.

the hy/rd calipers were designed with lots of cable pull, pulled in a linear fashion. a la new shimano.
new sram pulls a bit less cable, pulled in a linear fashion.
new campy pulls even less cable, pulled in a non-linear fashion.

so there it is. all the design specs and number crunching aside, this is the reality with parts in hand on a real life frame. anyone considering this combo can decide for themselves what's acceptable. to be clear, this combo does work insofar as to say that campy levers will stop the bike. but you have to pull the levers awfully far to do so.

KidWok
02-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Great to know...I just bought some and was planning on putting them on my 7800 equipped commuter bike. Guess I won't be doing that after all...stick with my old Shimano R505's for now.

Tai

etu
02-10-2015, 03:55 PM
these brakes suck!:mad:
there i said it. i really tried to like these brakes and they stop, feel and sound so much better than the bb-7's, but the whole brake lever pull issue is a total pain in the ass that becomes intolerable as the pads wear down.
i've finally given up. i am grateful for this experience as it forced me to learn how to bleed hydraulic disc brakes and try out Yokozuna ultra-stiff cable housing (not impressed). i am surprised at how little negative feedback there is out there about this problem, but that could mean i am just a crappy home mechanic.
i eventually moved from sram brifters to just brake levers and barcons to have more lever travel till it hit the handlebars. just replace them with the TRP Hylex which so far seems to work much better with a nice normal lever travel.
i am putting my hy/rd's up for sale. this rant is probably a bad way to get a decent price, but at least i'll have a clear conscience. pm me if you're interested.

biker72
02-10-2015, 04:34 PM
These brakes came stock on my 2015 Crux. Work great with Shimano brifters...:)

GeorgeTSquirrel
02-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks. I was already aware of this problem, but you did an excellent job of giving a thorough explanation that really breaks it down beyond just saying there isn't enough cable pull.

vqdriver
02-11-2015, 01:01 PM
well, i'm in the same boat, but i'll counter that with the fact that it seems to work just fine with the shimano levers they were designed with. there was nothing functionally wrong with the brakes, they just didn't pair up nicely with my choice of levers. if i were to sell brakes, i too would design around the largest installed base.

but, your mention of the issue recurring with pad wear is valid. i'm not interested in revisiting this and am moving on to the spyre slc.

these brakes suck!:mad:
there i said it. i really tried to like these brakes and they stop, feel and sound so much better than the bb-7's, but the whole brake lever pull issue is a total pain in the ass that becomes intolerable as the pads wear down.
i've finally given up. i am grateful for this experience as it forced me to learn how to bleed hydraulic disc brakes and try out Yokozuna ultra-stiff cable housing (not impressed). i am surprised at how little negative feedback there is out there about this problem, but that could mean i am just a crappy home mechanic.
i eventually moved from sram brifters to just brake levers and barcons to have more lever travel till it hit the handlebars. just replace them with the TRP Hylex which so far seems to work much better with a nice normal lever travel.
i am putting my hy/rd's up for sale. this rant is probably a bad way to get a decent price, but at least i'll have a clear conscience. pm me if you're interested.

etu
02-11-2015, 02:23 PM
I was probably a little over the top on in my rant. Some of the frustration is from this being so close to a great product.
It's nice to know that these work consistently well with shimano levers.
I still like TRP as a company and I am grateful for their efforts in filling a niche market (hyrd and hylex) but I hope they are able to have a v2 of hyrd that addresses the lever pull issue.

zap
02-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Thank you for posting.

I will stick with my original plan and install Spyre calipers on our tandem.

krhea
02-11-2015, 05:52 PM
Not necessarily true...here's my set-up, HyRds with Campy Record "brake" levers and I love it!!! Brakes are great, no problems, tons of miles and about to build another gravel bike and use the same brakes.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3795/10468074666_24d9e76a56.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/gX2BTY)DSCF4037 (https://flic.kr/p/gX2BTY) by KRhea FrzFrmFoto (https://www.flickr.com/people/87340476@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3803/10468252573_fe637b84c2_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/gX3wMk)DSCF4068 (https://flic.kr/p/gX3wMk) by KRhea FrzFrmFoto (https://www.flickr.com/people/87340476@N07/), on Flickr

thirdgenbird
02-11-2015, 11:17 PM
well, i'm in the same boat, but i'll counter that with the fact that it seems to work just fine with the shimano levers they were designed with. there was nothing functionally wrong with the brakes, they just didn't pair up nicely with my choice of levers. if i were to sell brakes, i too would design around the largest installed base.

but, your mention of the issue recurring with pad wear is valid. i'm not interested in revisiting this and am moving on to the spyre slc.

It sounds like they should have designed it with a cable routing path on both sides of the bolt. One for sram and newer shimano, the other side for Campagnolo and old shimano.

Vamoots58
02-12-2015, 07:20 AM
my new Routt with the HY/RD's. Running (red label) Record 11, and the cable pull was not just light, i would not have ridden the bike as it was. When i did the neighborhood test run to bed the brakes, it almost didn't stop. A couple of back and forth e-mails with TRP led me to the suggestion of securing the cable 'on the other side of the nut.' It actually made a really big difference, and I think the set-up will be fine. I have not done any modification to the caliper, but am ultimately going to get busy with the Dremel. Have to admit, I am disappointed given the matter-of-a-fact way in which TRP discussed the Campy cable pull issue, that this apparently well known issue is not mentioned at all in their marketing literature. Will likely keep the brakes, but unlikely to buy much more from TRP.