PDA

View Full Version : WATERPROOF Blinky ?

Dead Man
02-10-2015, 10:56 AM
I scanned through the various blinky threads looking for waterproof blinkies, but did not find any, to my surprise.

My Cygolite is great for dry weather riding, but isn't even close to waterproof.. and once you get it wet, you're screwed for days. It just powers itself on and blinks erratically until the battery is completely drained, until it's completely dry, whether plugged in or not. Nothing you can do for it.

And it's not hard to get it wet. Riding through a shower, maybe it could survive. But riding on the constantly damp and frequently raining roads here in NW Oregon, it doesn't even stand a chance. I even tried wrapping it up in plastic and sealing the mount stem with a rubber band hitched around it 5-6 times - the little bit of water that seeps in is still plenty to put the thing out of commission for days.

I know there's other rain riders out there - what bright, not overly expensive waterproof blinky are you sporting?

dan682
02-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Are you talking about taillight or headlight? I use the planetbike superflash turbo commuting here in Seattle through the winter and never have had any problems with water.

Dead Man
02-10-2015, 11:21 AM
tail

cderalow
02-10-2015, 12:06 PM
the Knog series are relatively waterproof at least in my limited experience. though the 'blinders' aren't super bright.

JLP
02-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Quite a few of the Seattle randonneurs have settled on either the Planet Bike mounted upside down or the Portland Design works.

Planet Bike Superflash upside down puts the switch at the top where it doesn't seep in a pool pf water.

Portland Design Works works out of the box as intended, but you need a screwdriver to replace the batteries. No big deal.

Dead Man
02-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Quite a few of the Seattle randonneurs have settled on either the Planet Bike mounted upside down or the Portland Design works.

Planet Bike Superflash upside down puts the switch at the top where it doesn't seep in a pool pf water.

Portland Design Works works out of the box as intended, but you need a screwdriver to replace the batteries. No big deal.

I was super unimpressed with PDW's Dreadnought, so I'd written them off like a bad restaurant.

I took the Cygolite apart to try to dry it out and discovered the circuit board is all corroded. I disconnected the battery to get it to stop shining, but you can't charge it whilst it's disconnected. F'n piece of Shiite. I'm gonna take it back to REI and exchange it for something.

AngryScientist
02-10-2015, 01:45 PM
vis 180 micro.

totally waterproof.

i have one on my rain bike and it rocks.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mgVaT_5TKMs/VKm277ntF5I/AAAAAAAAB5s/b7I8Sj5RF7w/s1000/P1080415.JPG

JAGI410
02-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Another vote for the Vis 180, I'm subjected mine to torture without a complaint.

Dead Man
02-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Sweet... and REI has it. I'll try that. Thanks, gentlemenz.

JAllen
02-10-2015, 02:33 PM
I scanned through the various blinky threads looking for waterproof blinkies, but did not find any, to my surprise.

My Cygolite is great for dry weather riding, but isn't even close to waterproof.. and once you get it wet, you're screwed for days. It just powers itself on and blinks erratically until the battery is completely drained, until it's completely dry, whether plugged in or not. Nothing you can do for it.

And it's not hard to get it wet. Riding through a shower, maybe it could survive. But riding on the constantly damp and frequently raining roads here in NW Oregon, it doesn't even stand a chance. I even tried wrapping it up in plastic and sealing the mount stem with a rubber band hitched around it 5-6 times - the little bit of water that seeps in is still plenty to put the thing out of commission for days.

I know there's other rain riders out there - what bright, not overly expensive waterproof blinky are you sporting?
It sounds like you have made up your mind and you aren't too fond of PDW but that's what I use for my new project bike. I've also use cats eye for my main ride. I have never spent more than $25 for any light. Both those are under $20. I've also used axiom and have been pleased. My front light by axiom has been going strong for a could years now.

I'm interested to hear how your new ones will work out.

josephr
02-10-2015, 02:41 PM
don't commute but have been caught in downpours and had my Superflash get waterlogged --- it'd be ok when it dried out though. PlanetBike replaced it no questions asked and haven't had problems since. I like the idea of flipping it...make the button easier to find too.

djg21
02-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Another vote for the Vis 180, I'm subjected mine to torture without a complaint.

I have a NIB VIS 180 that needs a home. I have it listed in the classifieds for $70 shipped.

Mine is on my bike rain or shine. It's not designed for SCUBA, but has proven robust and sufficiently water resistant for cycling use.

milkbaby
02-10-2015, 05:04 PM
I use both a PDW Radbot and a Planet Bike Superflash. On both of them, I open them and smear vacuum grease on the gasket between the two parts of the light. It seems to work okay in the rain, and I just renew the grease every once in a while, usually when the batteries die and the light needs to be opened up anyhow.

Dead Man
02-10-2015, 07:17 PM
I use both a PDW Radbot and a Planet Bike Superflash. On both of them, I open them and smear vacuum grease on the gasket between the two parts of the light. It seems to work okay in the rain, and I just renew the grease every once in a while, usually when the batteries die and the light needs to be opened up anyhow.

Ahh.. I've been using rechargeable lights. Perhaps this is the unintended design flaw of rechargeable units - openings to charge where water can get in, yet too sealed up to let the stupid thing dry out.

nate2351
02-10-2015, 07:40 PM
I've been using the Bontrager Ember USB rechargeable http://www.bontrager.com/model/09588 and haven't had any problems. I live in Seattle and I don't believe in fenders so it gets put through its paces. I've had it on my bike everyday for over a year now and only take it off to charge.

SlowPokePete
02-11-2015, 06:17 AM
Haven't been out in <much> rain, but Vis180 is what I'm running, too.

SPP

bluesea
02-11-2015, 10:03 AM
I took my Dinotte 300R though a downpour laden 100mi ride. The water in the tires was still there a week and a ride later, when I finally had to dry them out.