PDA

View Full Version : These are really LOOOOONG!

Dromen
02-09-2015, 09:21 AM
The new Shimano hydraulic disc STI mechnical shifters(RS685) are approx 13mm longer vs current new gen Shimano mechanical shifters(DA 9000).

FlashUNC
02-09-2015, 09:29 AM
Only so much room for all the mechanical bits and the hydro parts. Sounds like the only answer is a bigger part.

bluesea
02-09-2015, 09:42 AM
The new Shimano hydraulic disc STI mechnical shifters(RS685) are approx 13mm longer vs current new gen Shimano mechanical shifters(DA 9000).

Reach, I assume. All the new 11sp shifters are longer from the git go, so these hydro shifters might need a shorter stem. Eventual conversion to hydro discs are the reason I switched to Shimano.

Dromen
02-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Yes Reach.

Dromen
02-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Evidence

seanile
02-10-2015, 11:38 AM
woah. it's like you zoomed in on just the lever..

Dromen
02-10-2015, 11:42 AM
For perspective...

Lilliputians:
17cm HT
100mm stem
FSA Kforce bar

Gulliver:
RS685 STIs

JAGI410
02-10-2015, 11:48 AM
I can hear OP dry heaving from the republic of Boulder all the way from here.

They do look a bit funky but also really comfortable.

cderalow
02-10-2015, 11:48 AM
needs a ludacris... i heard you like bars so i put a bar on your bar

Mark McM
02-10-2015, 12:19 PM
I can hear the smaller handed among us crying already.

Anarchist
02-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Dear gawd .....

I guess the days of wanting a bike to look "elegant" as well as perform well, are just gone ...

saab2000
02-10-2015, 12:49 PM
How are they to use?

I've considered installing some of these on my Indy Fab Gravel Royale, which currently sports D/A 9000 shifting with cable actuated brakes.

I'd love to hear a ride report on actual usage, both for shifting and braking.

Thanks!

02-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Several of us got together and tried the different variants of the Shimano levers as well as the SRAM and a few oddballs. Bottom line, a mechanical-shifting hydraulic-braking lever needs volume to house all the junk as someone above pointed out. You can make the circumference of the levers larger (at which point hand size is critically an issue), you can build up the front of the levers (like SRAM did, which makes them really look bizarre), or you can simply extend the housing so the shifting mechanism is behind the hydraulics.

The 685 levers don't really feel much different from 785's. There's a little more room for your hands, but the 785's already have a bit more than a basic 9070 lever. What you do notice on the 685s is the extra bulk under the handlebar tape right behind the levers -- the hydraulic housing plus the cable housing is a lot bulkier than the 9070 and 785. We all commented that with 685s we might want to shorten the stem by a centimeter if we rode a lot at the base of the lever or if we had the levers fairly high on the bars. Otherwise, no particular need.

We also compared Ultegra and Dura Ace Di2 levers in the ride and really liked both -- this current edition of Ultegra (6800/6870) is simply amazing and by far the best that Shimano has ever put out. It has no shortcomings performance wise compared to 9070. All of the Ultegra or R series levers are superb to use and pretty much indistinguishable from Dura Ace in feel. We understand there are some significant improvements in the hydraulic Di2 and hydraulic mechanical levers for this next year (this test ride was part of some user research by Shimano) so expect everything hydraulic to be still better next year.

Dromen
02-10-2015, 01:59 PM
Qualifier - no road miles, only 2 x 2hr trainer rides.

Shifting feels same as DA9000.

Hood is not "bigger", just longer with same basic shape as 9000 mechanical shifters. Didn't notice this - "extra bulk under the handlebar tape right behind the levers".

My medium hands actually enjoyed the extra length on the flat part of hood where my entire palm fit comfortably. When my position became to static after awhile(especially noticeable on trainer), the extra distance to the rise in the hoods allowed a "stretch out" while still having my hands firmly anchored. In short, it felt as tho i could ride comfortably in a normal hood position with the addition of another longer reach option if i wanted it.

Again all trainer miles.

binouye
02-10-2015, 02:20 PM
I've seen mention several places of Campagnolo making a hydraulic disc ergo for later this year, and wonder if they'll manage to fit everything into the same basic hood/lever shape, or if they'll have to make something bigger to fit all the new stuff inside.
I recall getting a stem 1 cm shorter when I switched from Chorus 10 to Chorus 11, due to the different shape, so its not just Shimano that has lengthened the hoods in recent years.

cainez
02-19-2015, 05:48 PM
Bring on the industrial bike overlords. Form follows function.