PDA

View Full Version : pegoretti/fsa bb issues

ivanooze
02-09-2015, 12:01 AM
so i just got a free pegoretti 8:30am frame, i loaded it up with sram rivals and an fsa energy crank with an fsa ceramic bb.
-today i noticed that the driveside bb threads were showing, it seems as if has been loosened during the ride
-i've heard that italian bbs are notorious for loosening up during rides.
-are there any suggestions for keeping those suckers to stay on at all? or am i out of luck?

jtakeda
02-09-2015, 12:02 AM
If it's loose just tighten it.

ultraman6970
02-09-2015, 12:05 AM
"-i've heard that italian bbs are notorious for loosening up during rides. "

No, they arent, the problem is that if you have to tight them really well 1st.

This is what you do, take the cup out, put teflon tape in the cup threads, put a lot of grease in the BB shell, tight the cup like if you were king kong, and done.

ivanooze
02-09-2015, 12:09 AM
"-i've heard that italian bbs are notorious for loosening up during rides. "

No, they arent, the problem is that if you have to tight them really well 1st.

This is what you do, take the cup out, put teflon tape in the cup threads, put a lot of grease in the BB shell, tight the cup like if you were king kong, and done.

-sweet ok i'll do that,
can i pretend im andre the giant instead?

Javaman
02-09-2015, 12:15 AM
so i just got a free pegoretti 8:30am frame,

That's a score!!! Need pics!:banana:

ivanooze
02-09-2015, 12:17 AM
That's a score!!! Need pics!:banana:

gimme a sec i'll send a few

ivanooze
02-09-2015, 12:28 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697894954&stc=1&d=1423463223
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697894955&stc=1&d=1423463231
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697894956&stc=1&d=1423463268

ivanooze
02-09-2015, 12:29 AM
it has some scratches on it due to the fact that this bike was raced quite a bit before i got my hands on it.
also as you can see, i put the grip tape colors on wrong, i guess the white part was supposed to be on the drops and the red on top... oh well

Steve in SLO
02-09-2015, 01:18 AM
Wow, I want friends like yours!
Don't worry about the scratches...they give you instant street cred.

ivanooze
02-09-2015, 01:45 AM
Wow, I want friends like yours!
Don't worry about the scratches...they give you instant street cred.

the guy gave it to me after i built his cervelo RCA from the ground up

oldpotatoe
02-09-2015, 06:09 AM
so i just got a free pegoretti 8:30am frame, i loaded it up with sram rivals and an fsa energy crank with an fsa ceramic bb.
-today i noticed that the driveside bb threads were showing, it seems as if has been loosened during the ride
-are there any suggestions for keeping those suckers to stay on at all? or am i out of luck?

Make sure the BB shell is prepped, that it is faced.

Install the RH cup with a bit of teflon tape along with grease.

Use some sort of tool that will hold the wrench on the cup and make sure it's very, VERY tight.

Do NOT 'glue' it in there-NO loctite or other stuff like that unless you wish the cup to be in there forever.

jemoryl
02-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Interesting looking seatpost. What is it?

pdmtong
02-09-2015, 12:51 PM
The BB is coming loose because the frame is rejecting non-italian components.

seriously, very generous gift and looking good

brando
02-09-2015, 04:10 PM
That might be my favorite peg paint scheme. Congrats!

dcama5
02-09-2015, 05:08 PM

It's due to mechanical precession which is why English bottom brackets have left-hand threads on the drive side. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession_%28mechanical%29

Hope the link works. If not, just look up mechanical precession on Wikipedia. Yes, you will have to tighten them down like crazy but be careful the wrench doesn't slip. Yikes!

ultraman6970
02-09-2015, 05:22 PM
There is a reason potato always says... "far superior italian BB"...

dcama5
02-09-2015, 05:32 PM
Here is another link explaining mechanical precession from an engineer in the bike industry. http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/left.html

You may want to look into various thread lockers. I would not start with the most powerful one though, and you will have to get all the grease off for any thread locker to work.

oldpotatoe
02-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Here is another link explaining mechanical precession from an engineer in the bike industry. http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/left.html

You may want to look into various thread lockers. I would not start with the most powerful one though, and you will have to get all the grease off for any thread locker to work.

And the aluminum cup may become a permanent part of that frame, using thread lockers. BB face, grease, Teflon tape, proper tool. Tight.

ivanooze
02-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Interesting looking seatpost. What is it?

it's a q2 carbon. i was so excited to build/ride the bike that i just ordered this post since it was the only one left that KHS had in inventory, got it on willcall and road it that day

ivanooze
02-09-2015, 08:43 PM
ok so far i hear to use teflon tape then grease?
-on the other hand i have another gentleman saying i should only use loctite?

-so here's what im going to do since i like the teflon/grease idea
1. put teflon tape on bb
2. grease bb shell
3. grease bb cup
4. insert and tighten bb cups like my life depends on it
5. is this the teflon tape everyone (or most everyone) is talking about? http://www.amazon.com/4-Rolls-Teflon-Thread-Fitting-Sealant/dp/B003V5F17I

-is that it ?

choke
02-10-2015, 12:11 AM
Yes, that's the tape you want to use. Your local hardware store should have it.

ultraman6970
02-10-2015, 12:15 AM
If you want to use loctite just use it, is your frame. But for some reason we are telling you... use teflon tape, grease and tight like if your life depends of it.

oldpotatoe
02-10-2015, 06:25 AM
ok so far i hear to use teflon tape then grease?
-on the other hand i have another gentleman saying i should only use loctite?

-so here's what im going to do since i like the teflon/grease idea
1. put teflon tape on bb
2. grease bb shell
3. grease bb cup
4. insert and tighten bb cups like my life depends on it
5. is this the teflon tape everyone (or most everyone) is talking about? http://www.amazon.com/4-Rolls-Teflon-Thread-Fitting-Sealant/dp/B003V5F17I

-is that it ?

Working in a shop, I have had the 'pleasure' of smacking, vicing, drilling, or otherwise swearing as I try to get a frozen BB cup out of a frame. Many times, as I finally get it out, and hold the very hot thing in my hand, I see remnants of loctite or some other thread locking GLUE on the threads. Never just some grease.

Above, you have omitted 'facing' the BB shell. If the faces are not parallel, and the cups are cocked even a little, drag will be produced, and that thing above about 'precession' will be more of an issue and the RH cup will unscrew more readily.

ivanooze
02-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Working in a shop, I have had the 'pleasure' of smacking, vicing, drilling, or otherwise searing as I try to get a frozen BB cup out of a frame. Many times, as I finally get it out, and hold the very hot thing in my hand, I see remnants of loctite or some other thread locking GLUE on the threads. Never just some grease.

Above, you have omitted 'facing' the BB shell. If the faces are not parallel, and the cups are cocked even a little, drag will be produced, and that thing above about 'precession' will be more of an issue and the RH cup will unscrew more readily.

so what you're saying is that i possibly have to re-thread my bb shell?

ultraman6970
02-10-2015, 04:14 PM
No, he is not saying to chase the threads again... he is saying to do facing to each side of the shell... two different things.

Go to home depot, get teflon tape, do as we are saying... if doesnt work think in what potato is saying about facing that BB shell.

dcama5
02-10-2015, 05:23 PM
The teflon tape and grease idea is worth a try. The problem still is mechanical precession. Most likely, you are just used to English BBs and you didn't tighten it enough. Try the teflon tape plus grease and tighten it more but take precautions to avoid the wrench slipping. That will create a whole 'nother set of problems. If it still loosens again, get the BB shell faced and try again.

ivanooze
02-10-2015, 11:07 PM
No, he is not saying to chase the threads again... he is saying to do facing to each side of the shell... two different things.

Go to home depot, get teflon tape, do as we are saying... if doesnt work think in what potato is saying about facing that BB shell.

crap sorry, got my terms mixed up

oldpotatoe
02-11-2015, 06:38 AM
so what you're saying is that i possibly have to re-thread my bb shell?

No, as long as the BB facing guides go into the BB shell easily, you are good to face the shell, make the two 'faces' parallel.

If they don't, run a good tap thru, then the guides, then face it. All part of 'prepping' a steel or aluminum frame.