PDA

View Full Version : Smith MIPS Helmet

hairylegs
02-08-2015, 05:02 PM
I'm in the market for a new lid. And I've got $270 to spend from insurance when my aero-helmet was stolen with my tri bike! Looking for a safe ride. Any thoughts on this bad boy?

http://www.jensonusa.com/Smith-Overtake-Mips-Helmet

Alan
02-08-2015, 07:40 PM
I just bought a Giro Savant MIPs helmet a week or so ago at $110 from my LBS. You don't have to spend a lot for a MIPs helmet if you don't want to. It seems nice enough for me to ride at non-warp speeds.

See link to it at:

http://www.giro.com/us_en/savant-mips.html

What would be really nice would be a MIPs helmet with some good aerodynamic qualities so I don't get dropped as much from fast rides.

Alan

old fat man
02-09-2015, 08:30 AM
I've heard the Smith does not breath as well when it's hot, that air does not come in as much as traditionally vented helmets, and I would think most triathlons are in warm/hot weather. Though I guess the aero shells probably don't breath well either...

No first hand experience though.

stien
02-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Out of all the reviews I read, only one complained of heat. I can only imagine they were riding very upright on a mountain bike.

In a more road oriented position, the air will flow right into the honeycomb structure.

-Alex, who really wanted one of these until he got a steal on a Synthe on the forum :banana:

hairylegs
02-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Nice. Yeah, I've never spent a bunch on a helmet, but might as well spend the max I'm allowed since insurance is buying! And I don't have a tri bike since it was stolen....so might as well go semi aero on the road!

Seems like it's a pretty sweet helmet...

joep2517
02-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Cody,

A buddy of mine purchased one a few weeks ago. So far - he loves it, but he hasn't ridden with it in the Florida heat. I asked about ventilation and he said the honeycomb design allowed for air flow. I guess he will see later this year when he rides in July and August.