PDA

View Full Version : Semi OT: Returning to running/cycling after radiation for prostate cancer

Dave Ferris
02-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Basically I'm feeling like major C**P right now on my runs and rides. I'm super weak and really slogging along. This morning I ran 6 miles (3 out & back), with a few steep hills going out. My time was an all time slow pace of 1:05:54 -which translates to 11 minute miles.

I took 5 breaks during the run. At the crest of the hills , only 2 miles out, my heart was pounding like at the end of a 5K. I was sweating so bad , I had to stop to clean my sunglasses they were so gunked up with sweat. It was probably the slowest 6 miles I've ever run in 35 years of running.

I finished my radiation on Dec. 31. of 45 sessions over 9 weeks. I received a 4 month dose of Lupron (female hormone) on Sept. 4 , 6 weeks prior to when the radiation treatments began, the end of Oct.

The weird thing is they (nurse/oncologist) said I would be feeling better around Feb. 1. I'm actually feeling worse !! I was managing 20-25 miles a week running during the treatments, and cycling 3-4 days a week. Along with 2-3 30 minute sessions at the gym. A pretty full schedule for sure. But I was trying my damnedest to retain my fitness level during all of this.

I rode my Potts 29er up my usual Verdugo Mountains trail which is steep- 1800' in 3 miles- on Friday and barely made it up. I was totally wiped and that was with a break. Didn't feel anywhere near that bad during the 9 weeks of radiation. I'm ok on the flats , but anything resembling a hill where I need power or strength- it simply isn't there.

I'm 61 and in excellent shape for my age group. I have put on about 10 -12 lbs. since the Lupron shot. I know that's not helping matters. I'll be glad when the Lupron shot wears off. It was a 4 month dose and we're at 5 months and it's still hanging on. I'm constantly getting the hot flashes. I have to think the Lupron has a lot to do with my current weakened state.

Just curious if anyone here has undergone either radiation or the surgery for PC , and how long it took to get back to normal. I'm just a little perplexed and frustrated right now that I'm feeling so weak after they said I'd be feeling pretty good around Feb 1. Appetite is still there. For sure I'm eating too much , or eating the same amount but not burning the calories as much because of reduced volume and intensity. Getting my sleep, not all at once though.

They said to stop the vitamin supplements during the treatment. So Jan. 1, I resumed my daily morning cocktail of Ultima replenisher mixed with Emegen-C. And in the evening 2 "Alive" Multi-Vitamins with dinner. I need to lay off the high carbs (I'm not running 50 miles a week anymore) and the sugar, it's hard.

Could be I'm expecting too much too soon. Patience isn't one of my virtues when it comes to running and biking.

Thanks for enduring my rant.:)

malcolm
02-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Dave I've never been in your shoes, so I don't really know. I suspect Lupron may be the source of some of it. When doctors talk about recovery periods they are usually speaking in general terms and not to someone that was quite athletic before.

If they not done a blood count (cbc) in the past several months it may be worth looking at compared to pretreatment and see what your hgb/hct is and as I'm sure you know 10bls can be felt running or cycling even when your aerobic fitness is good.

Easy for me to say but wouldn't push so hard and just try to get your feet under you and make small gains. Probably wont help much but I'd be happy with 11min miles on a steep trail run.

Louis
02-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Dave, I doubt this will be much consolation to you, but I'm pretty sure that today, even though I haven't had radiation treatment or prostate cancer, I doubt I could run 1 mile, let alone 6.

I'd say take it easy for the next few weeks and take the long view - you have a lot of miles left in that body, no sense in trying to get them all in today.

Good luck.

wc1934
02-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Hey Dave,
I know that you might not agree, but it sounds like you are doing great considering what you have been thru. As stated, don't rush it - the general population can't even do what you are doing, and you will only get stronger and faster. Just resist the urge to push thru - take it slowly and you will be back to normal before you know it.
Best of luck.

onekgguy
02-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Dave,

Sorry to hear that you're going through all of this. I'm not going through anything quite as debilitating as what you are but I nearly lost the lower half of my left leg due to a blood clot two weeks ago. I too suck at recovery, wanting to get back to form as soon as yesterday. What I'm focusing on now is just trying to make the next workout better than the last and let the rest take care of itself. That's all I have to offer. Best wishes to you.

Kevin g

Dave Ferris
04-05-2015, 01:23 PM
I realize I never thanked those who offered the kind words of support. So thanks and much appreciated.

And Kevin, I'm so sorry to hear about your leg...yikes !! I sincerely hope you are doing better and on the road to recovery.

So I ran 8 miles this morning. It was my longest run since Sunday Oct. 26 '14 , which was the end of my first week of the radiation treatments.

I had to take a couple of breaks--mostly at the crest of the steep hills going out and coming back. The time was super slow --1:33:47 - which is just a tad over a 11:30 a mile pace. But it's all I can muster at this time. I do feel a little stronger but I can't get the legs to turn over and , again, when I hit any steep hills , I slow way down.

But it is what it is --just happy to be put there and able to put in the miles. I hit 21 this week. The highest weekly total of '15.

I seem to be on a run-bike-run-bike- every other day schedule right now. The body doesn't seem to want to recover to run consecutive days yet.

I'm ok with it because I'm having way too much fun on the new Potts 29er Mtn bike. After yesterday's ride , I hit 992 miles since I brought it back from Point Reyes in early Sept. I've been riding both on the trails and road probably 80 to 95 minutes on alternate days during the week. And then a longer ride of 2 hours to 2;30 on the Sat. or Sunday. It's not running, but having a cool bike is as inspirational as having a great piano to practice on..:cool:

The Lupron shot, which was the precursor to the radiation treatment, is still hanging on. Yesterday it was at 7 months for what was supposed to be a 4 month dose. But the Doc said he's seen the effects last as long as 10-12 months. Sounds like a broken record, but again, I'm certain this is greatly contributing to my weakened state.

OtayBW
04-05-2015, 04:53 PM
^
Good on ya, Dave.

gasman
04-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Sounds like you're doing okay. Glad to hear of the slow improvement, hope it continues. Best of luck.

oldguy00
04-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Dave,
My father had a battle with prostate cancer a few years ago (about 5 years ago I think) and I was with him every step, doing loads of research, discussing treatment options with his docs, etc. After a year, his GP of 30 years told me I seemed to know more about PC and the related treatments, etc than most docs... :)
He had same sort of treatment as you. He had a pretty agressive cancer, gleason 9 and 10, but luckily it has not spread much beyond the capsule. But because of the gleason score, his lupron treatment was 2 years, and he had IMRT radiation. And, as part of a study, he was also given very low dose Taxotere (chemo) during the IMRT treatment. He was about 64 at diagnosis, and his prostate was the size of a large lemon....thats another story...
ANYWAY.....what you are describing sounds very typical. Very odd that the nurse or doc told you that you would feel better by Feb 1st....unless they meant better as in 'OK'. The weight gain you are experiencing is definitely a normal side effect of the Lupron treatment, and it sounds like you've actually done quite well minimizing the amount you gained.
And, radiation can unfortunately cause fatigue for a long time after......its hard to say how long. With my dad, he basically had to take a good nap in the middle of every day, whether he wanted to or not. And from all the research I've done, and people I've talked to that had similar treatment, its the same for most of them. His energy did slowly improve though. He has been off the lupron for a few years now and is doing well. His natural testosterone production never really turned itself back on, and I think his docs are fine with that, given the aggressive nature of his PC.
Feel free to PM me if you want to run any other questions by me! :)
Cheers

biker72
04-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Dave the main thing is to not get discouraged. I've never had prostate cancer but have had other problems that set my fitness level back quite a way.

I was happy as long as I could see improvement. The fact that you can run at all is quite remarkable considering what you've been through.

schneiderrd
04-06-2015, 07:11 PM
I went the surgery route and was back to normal in about 6 weeks. The main reason I went this way is if the surgery didn't get it all, I still had radiation as a backup. As life would have it, I have been clean since 2008 (knock on wood). I still get PSA checks every six months just to make sure. I think the radiation route probably hammers your body a little more than surgery which would explain the longer recovery, and I would guess the Lupron treatment is also making the recovery more difficult.

Good Luck