PDA

View Full Version : MD swap meet tomorrow...

ultraman6970
02-07-2015, 11:45 AM
DID not see any posting about this, tomorrow is the "stop, swap and save" swap meet in westminster MD.

All the info is here.

http://www.stopswapandsave.com/

From all the tables that I know of, 104 and 105 always bring vintage and rare stuff combined with tools.

C/u guys there?

bicimechanic
02-07-2015, 05:06 PM
I'll be there. I have a table this year with a bunch of folks. I'll mostly be wandering around looking for stuff I don't really need!

PaMtbRider
02-07-2015, 05:28 PM
We will be there tomorrow when the doors open. Not looking for anything in particular, but you never know when a bargain might be to good to pass up.

ultraman6970
02-07-2015, 07:12 PM
We hope to be able to have at least 30 minutes before the public is let in to be able to check the other vendors. A lot of stuff is sold and traded before they open the doors to the public, remember last year somebody here had a record C delta group for sell and a large 58 or 60 rensho i believe, never saw the group or the bike for sale, I think those 2 items sold like 1 hour the show started for the general public. My friend bought almost everything from one of the tables for example.

rugbysecondrow
02-08-2015, 06:32 PM
It was a great event, lots o gear, tables and vendors. Nice to see that venue get so much traffic.

rounder
02-08-2015, 07:17 PM
I have been there for most of the past 10+ years and believe that there were more tables and people this year than I have seen there before. They advertise it as the largest bike swap on the East coast.

Most of the tables seemed to be bike shop folks selling their over stock surplus stuff at good prices. There was more Campy stuff than I had seen before, mainly old, including a Delta brakeset. There was lots of cool stuff, plus lots of stuff that seemed like junk to me such as Campy cassettes that skipped on the 13 and 17, etc.

There were lots of good bikes, including some old stuff such as a 1970 era Cinelli Super Corsa with (I believe) Campy Nouvo Record parts., a Nagasawa track bike, a Hetchins and an old Scwinn Paramount.

There were lots of tires, wheels, clothes, etc.

I walked around for about two hours without seeing anything twice.

likebikes
02-08-2015, 07:25 PM
anyone get any good scores?

PaMtbRider
02-08-2015, 07:42 PM
anyone get any good scores?

New w / tags Gore Phantom windstopper jacket for $37. Couple of other smaller items but that was the big score of the day for me.

ultraman6970
02-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Did not find what i was looking for but i scored a lizard skin handlebar tape sealed for 2 bucks... people was not buying bicycles this year, was a totally different swap meet compared with the previous years.

There was a brand new nagazawa for 650 with BB and hatta headset, and original hetching f and f for 800 in mint condition. even sold my kids old bikes to the table next to us before the show started.

IMO too many people this year selling retail prices and since not many people were buying they did not sell that much. For example in a table saw what looked like a super rusty prof. truing stand from park, if rusty can be painted, the arms were still firm, asked the dude for the price and he wanted 200 bucks for it... not even a thanks and continued walking. Low end handlebar tape like for 6 bucks that is like retail price, doubt they sold a single one.

Citybikes sold it all, actually my friend got all their bike parts and clothing from them, insane looting from this guy.

A lot, but a lot of saddles this year, but the good ones were retail price even unpackaged.

ps: rounder went to another swap meet hahahaha, i got the impression that was just the opposite ;D and we had a table too :p

kramnnim
02-09-2015, 05:57 PM
There's a guy on Facebook who bought 500+ pieces of clothing there. He's trying to sell them as one lot for $10k shipped.

rounder
02-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Did not find what i was looking for but i scored a lizard skin handlebar tape sealed for 2 bucks... people was not buying bicycles this year, was a totally different swap meet compared with the previous years.

There was a brand new nagazawa for 650 with BB and hatta headset, and original hetching f and f for 800 in mint condition. even sold my kids old bikes to the table next to us before the show started.

IMO too many people this year selling retail prices and since not many people were buying they did not sell that much. For example in a table saw what looked like a super rusty prof. truing stand from park, if rusty can be painted, the arms were still firm, asked the dude for the price and he wanted 200 bucks for it... not even a thanks and continued walking. Low end handlebar tape like for 6 bucks that is like retail price, doubt they sold a single one.

Citybikes sold it all, actually my friend got all their bike parts and clothing from them, insane looting from this guy.

A lot, but a lot of saddles this year, but the good ones were retail price even unpackaged.

ps: rounder went to another swap meet hahahaha, i got the impression that was just the opposite ;D and we had a table too :p

I didn't go there to score. I went there to have a good time. Friends there from a local shop said that they sold lots of stuff. Hung out with them. For me, it was a good day and saw people I knew.

makoti
02-09-2015, 09:07 PM
There's a guy on Facebook who bought 500+ pieces of clothing there. He's trying to sell them as one lot for $10k shipped.

I got that post, as well. He didn't have any bananas for scale, so I didn't buy. ;-)

bicimechanic
02-10-2015, 08:13 AM
I didn't go to buy. But you know how that is. A friend pointed this out hanging in the used rack. I had to rescue it. I still can't believe how clean it is. Two tiny nicks in the paint. I'm thinking a nice 10 speed Record build will look good. I always regretted selling my old Dream about 10 years ago.

zap
02-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Saw that Colnago…nice…..it was 2-3 frames away from my wife's Boulder Defiant frame/fork. I saw some other potential good deals in the used bike section. I looked for a bike/frame that I could add couplers too but saw nothing in my size.

This year's swap was larger than ever. I stayed longer this year (trying to sell a frame) but noticed that the crowds diminished noticeably after 11a. Normal?

ultraman6970
02-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Saw that frame also, did not even bother asking the price, too big for me :) Those colnago dreams are super sweet bikes.

Yeah, my friend went to ask for that lot of clothing and was already gone. 10K??? that's as insane as the price he probably paid for the stuff... that sure was super low... he might have more luck selling at ebay and CL one by one piece or making packs of 3 pieces for full price of one, but as a bulk and at that price?? he's pretty much is asking full retail price in each individual piece... you have to consider that endura (almost everything was endura from what I noticed) is not like a brand everybody knows, neither the more marketeable one either.

Yeah was larger but remember last year people was going out with bikes often, this year did not notice that, a lot of new vendors trying to get full retail for the stuff and clearly did not work for them too much from what I noticed. Probably the best deas were citibikes selling all that clothing and parts for any ammount you wanted to paid plus the nagasawa (and levant) and hetchins frames veloclasique had in their table.

No is not normal seeing people leaving before 12... probably were prices and selection this year the problem.

OtayBW
02-10-2015, 10:25 AM
I saw it as well. Definitely a looker. If it was 2 cm smaller, we wouldn't be having this conversation.....

rugbysecondrow
02-10-2015, 10:29 AM
When I was walking up, I saw a ton of people leaving with wheels (or wheel). Not sure if that is normal or not. Not many bikes rolling out though.

I enjoy seeing the frames, but almost none are in my size, so it is not worth looking.