PDA

View Full Version : Ribble to USA and experiences?

Cicli
02-07-2015, 06:56 AM
Never used any of the UK mail order places.
Is it cool? Reliable?

They seem to have the best prices on some tires I am after. Any others that are more reliable?
I always heard that PBK was the way to go then I hear it went downhill.
Experiences? Reviews?

Thanks. I would go locat but they have the same tires priced at almost twice as much. I am not paying 150.00 for one tire.

oldpotatoe
02-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Is it cool? Reliable?

They seem to have the best prices on some tires I am after. Any others that are more reliable?
Experiences? Reviews?

Thanks. I would go locat but they have the same tires priced at almost twice as much. I am not paying 150.00 for one tire.

Not cool to not support your LBS(look at this!! kidding:):))

I just got a 2015 Chorus Fder from them for less than EP at Campagnolo NA(also serial number to them). Came wrapped 'interestingly', piece of cardboard taped around the box..In spite of saying shipping is 7 business days or such, took about 3 weeks.

weisan
02-07-2015, 07:01 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=160457&highlight=ribble

Cicli
02-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Not cool to not support your LBS(look at this!! kidding:):))

Yeah, I agree. I can't plunk down 300.00 plus tax for two tires. I hate making offers so that's that.
I buy what I can form them but the wife kids like to eat and read with lights so I am on a budget.

Tony T
02-07-2015, 08:22 AM
I just got a 2015 Chorus Fder from them for less than EP at Campagnolo NA(also serial number to them). Came wrapped 'interestingly', piece of cardboard taped around the box..In spite of saying shipping is 7 business days or such, took about 3 weeks.

Ribble says 6-12 days to US (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/publish.asp?what=delivery&page1#overseas).
You can get a refund of the delivery charges since they delivered late:
"If we fail to meet the specified delivery date you can either cancel your order and receive a full refund, or continue with the order and accept a refund of any delivery charges."

oldpotatoe
02-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Ribble says 6-12 days to US (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/publish.asp?what=delivery&page1#overseas).
You can get a refund of the delivery charges since they delivered late:
"If we fail to meet the specified delivery date you can either cancel your order and receive a full refund, or continue with the order and accept a refund of any delivery charges."

It may have been in the US in 12 days..whatever, doubt I'll ever order from them again. I was on a mission also.

Tony T
02-07-2015, 08:30 AM
To US means to your door.
They were late, but a least they offer a refund on the delivery charges.
(I always order from UK when I can wait a month for the parts)

bobswire
02-07-2015, 08:34 AM
For tires, always within a week for me. Faster then most US on line sellers.

Satellite
02-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Is it cool? Reliable?

Experiences? Reviews?

Tihsepa,

As posted in your classified section for Tubulars, I received my Vittoria's in less than a week. I have had the same experience from Wiggle. I read the horror story's of it taking 3 weeks or months to receive your item but that has never been the case for me. At their prices order 2 pairs, separate orders, incase one comes in 4 days and the other in 3 weeks. I have no reservations to use them for tires I like to stretch and age my tubulars so shipping isn't too important to me. I also use the Tufo Tape, Ribble didn't carry it but Wiggle does.

Satellite

peanutgallery
02-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Merlin has been the best for me

4 - 5 days to the east coast. Their selection isn't as broad but their service and response time has been my best fish and chips experience

thwart
02-07-2015, 08:37 AM
I've had good luck ordering from them, now a total of three times. Although all three times the order form enclosed in the box listed higher prices than I actually paid.

Once paid with PayPal, twice with a credit card. Checked each time and I was billed the correct amount, rather than the amount on the order form.

Other than that, no complaints whatsoever.

I'm all for supporting my LBS (just spent ~ $100 over the past couple of weeks there buying parts for a wheel build), but when the price is double or even more...

echelon_john
02-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Seamless, perfect, and fast. About a week from order to receipt.

CSKeller
02-07-2015, 08:53 AM
No issues from Ribble, Wiggle or Totalcycling. All are great places. Usually received my order in a week. I think the longest is ever took was a week and a half.

I always try to support my LBS' when I can but Campagnolo NA seems to be absolutely ridiculous in their pricing. The UK shops price their Campagnolo products more reasonably. If Campy NA would offer better support and quit trying to make millions on each sale then maybe more people in the US would ride Campagnolo.

Satellite
02-07-2015, 08:56 AM
I've had good luck ordering from them, now a total of three times. Although all three times the order form enclosed in the box listed higher prices than I actually paid.

Once paid with PayPal, twice with a credit card. Checked each time and I was billed the correct amount, rather than the amount on the order form.

Other than that, no complaints whatsoever.

Thwart,

Weird the same thing happened to CSKeller and I, but we were charged the correct price? I would hate to be there accountant. Sounds like and Enron scam, cooking the books???

Tihsepa,

Don't be afraid place your order in the time you have fretted over the decision your tires could have been at your door step.

Satellite

Satellite
02-07-2015, 08:58 AM
No issues from Ribble, Wiggle or Totalcycling. All are great places. Usually received my order in a week. I think the longest is ever took was a week and a half.

I always try to support my LBS' when I can but Campagnolo NA seems to be absolutely ridiculous in their pricing. The UK shops price their Campagnolo products more reasonably. If Campy NA would offer better support and quit trying to make millions on each sale then maybe more people in the US would ride Campagnolo.

CSKeller,

Haha:banana:

Just don't ride CMapy and all is well. :no:

Do you want to stretch out the tubulars today, the wife and kid are going to the movies, and my motorcycle is back together. Do you have time for a ride?:bike:

Satellite

Grant McLean
02-07-2015, 09:01 AM
To US means to your door.
They were late, but a least they offer a refund on the delivery charges.
(I always order from UK when I can wait a month for the parts)

It's a good policy they will refund the cost of delivery,
But I don't think I've ever paid anything,
every order I've done with Ribble has been free shipping.

-g

Cicli
02-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Ordered a set.
Thanks everyone.

Satellite
02-07-2015, 09:12 AM
Ordered a set.
Thanks everyone.

What did you order? Did you order through Ribble and use the DISC8?

I was so tempted to get the Arenburg's couldn't muster up the dough just yet, I have two sets of Vittoria's; CXIII and Pave' being stretched. Besides I don't have anymore rims to stretch the Veloflex's.

Satellite

Gsinill
02-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Just ordered a few components from them last weekend as well.
Used them before and as far as I remember delivery was fairly quick, definitely less than 2 weeks.
Guess overall delivery time mostly depends on the customs processing in the US.
Got a frameset shipped from Switzerland recently, made it to the US in a few days, but then it set in a US customs facility in NJ for over 2 weeks.

thwart
02-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Thwart,

Weird the same thing happened to CSKeller and I, but we were charged the correct price? I would hate to be there accountant. Sounds like and Enron scam, cooking the books???

Y'know, I didn't check, but I suspect it might be the price that's reflected on the website if you don't enter the correct (USA) destination.

So maybe it's a VAT thing?

Satellite
02-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Y'know, I didn't check, but I suspect it might be the price that's reflected on the website if you don't enter the correct (USA) destination.

So maybe it's a VAT thing?
Thwart,

Wondered the same thing, or maybe a currency conversion? Either way I always make sure I change to $USD and Destination USA. As long as I get charged the correct amount, I will keep on ordering.

Satellite

SoCalSteve
02-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the thread!

Just ordered 2 tires for at least 25% less than even the lowest eBay price from Ribble...including shipping.

Last order came in 3 days to Los Angeles. Pretty amazing!

And yeah, the invoice for that order was for about 15% more than what I actually paid. Weird.

rePhil
02-07-2015, 11:48 AM
I ordered a Pair of Zonda's from Wiggle on a Sunday afternoon. They arrived on Wednesday morning....with free shipping. I don't know how they do it, but I like it.

bcroslin
02-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Is it cool? Reliable?

Experiences? Reviews?

I don't mean any offense but here on the Paceline this topic has been covered to death. Like literally a week ago there was a thread 19 pages long discussing Ribble experiences.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ribble+site%3Aforums.thepaceline.net

biker72
02-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Last set of Campy Zondas I bought were delivered in 3 days from the UK. Normally 7-10 days.

campy man
02-07-2015, 01:37 PM
I don't mean any offense but here on the Paceline this topic has been covered to death. Like literally a week ago there was a thread 19 pages long discussing Ribble experiences.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ribble+site%3Aforums.thepaceline.net

What's the point ... if not interested in the post than simply ignore and move on. :fight:

Just for the record, I love Ribble and can't say enough good things about them.

Stay classy Paceline :cool:

lhuerta
02-07-2015, 02:59 PM
I am a Ribble regular and have had nothing but pleasant transactions. However, shipping times are highly variable and dependent on what you order. Large items like wheels sent via Parcel Force are fast and predictable with full tracking while smaller items shipped via Royal Mail can take forever (e.g. ordered tires on Jan 7, received Feb 7). But there have been times when small parcels arrive in 4-5 days.

PaMtbRider
02-07-2015, 05:25 PM
What's the point ...
Stay classy Paceline :cool:

The point being there is a search function that works pretty well.
:fight:

r_mutt
02-07-2015, 09:17 PM
It's fair to take a little ribbing for posting the same exact question as a topic that stayed on the front page for 2 months with almost as many pages as the Deflategate thread. Just eat and be happy.

paredown
02-08-2015, 07:15 AM
FWIW, the last order I had from Ribble was the slowest to date--well over two weeks door to door.

Interestingly, it was a shipping envelope with a single part, whereas other larger orders have typically been faster, so it may be the way that the respective types of packages are handled.

wgp
02-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Just add me to the Ribble bandwagon; my go to source for Assos and Veloflex tubulars. When they are having a sale, they are all but unbeatable with their pricing! Almost always have my order within one week of ordering.

jemoryl
02-09-2015, 08:53 AM
I am a Ribble regular and have had nothing but pleasant transactions. However, shipping times are highly variable and dependent on what you order. Large items like wheels sent via Parcel Force are fast and predictable with full tracking while smaller items shipped via Royal Mail can take forever (e.g. ordered tires on Jan 7, received Feb 7). But there have been times when small parcels arrive in 4-5 days.

FWIW, Parcel Force is just the parcel division of Royal Mail. I think the variation in shipping time is mostly due to the processing at the border rather than the actual transport.

xjahx
04-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Incredible experience with Evans Cycles: about $75 less than Ribble / PBK for $800 of parts, ordered on Sunday, tracking info on Monday, arrived today, Wednesday.

I made an error on my order, double ordered small item (rear derailleur), and they offered to credit the amount back to my CC if I agreed to return it.

They did use DHL, so I expect to receive a customs duty, but when you look at the specifics of the codes, my items will be exempt. Regardless, savings over Ribble would cover the duties that DHL will charge.

brando
04-02-2015, 01:26 AM
Tried Merlin out of the uk for some time pedals. Ordered Thursday, arrived in california the following wednesday. Amazing.

mudhead
04-02-2015, 06:53 AM
Ordered an Campy group over the Xmas/New Years holiday, took just over a week to east coast. No issues, even through in a water bottle and some drink mix for free.

SpeedyChix
04-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Merlin and Evans have been great. Ribble and Wiggle are in queue behind them.

exapkib
04-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Several transactions with Ribble and Probikekit. Never had an issue.

El Chaba
04-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Never had anything but good experiences with the UK mail order houses. The one I miss is Parker International....

old fat man
04-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Incredible experience with Evans Cycles: about $75 less than Ribble / PBK for $800 of parts, ordered on Sunday, tracking info on Monday, arrived today, Wednesday.

I made an error on my order, double ordered small item (rear derailleur), and they offered to credit the amount back to my CC if I agreed to return it.

They did use DHL, so I expect to receive a customs duty, but when you look at the specifics of the codes, my items will be exempt. Regardless, savings over Ribble would cover the duties that DHL will charge.

Not sure what you ordered, but the prices I see from Evans are worse, or only slightly better than Ribble. Examples include GP4000 tires, Schwalbe One tubeless tires, 5800 cassette. Their price on the 6800 cassette was better though and they have a low free shipping threshold.

R3awak3n
04-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I ordered some ultegra pedals a couple of weeks ago from PBK and still nothing. Hopefully be here in the next 2 weeks without their new strange custom 3rd party company that apparently charges $15 for processing fees.

R3awak3n
04-02-2015, 07:54 PM
And after I wrote that I just got home and BAM, my Ultegra pedals were waiting for me. $80 shipped you really can't beat that.

I read so many bad things about PBK but this is the 3rd order (all under $100) that arrived without getting hit with customs.

Granted that the first order took a month, the last one (tires) and this one (Pedals) took less than 2 weeks.

preludervtec
04-02-2015, 11:22 PM
Just ordered from Ribble and had a great experience. I ordered on Friday and received it today on Thursday. Great pricing and fast shipping.

bikesickness
04-03-2015, 12:21 AM
I have had good experiences so far. Customs typically is the hold up but knowing this i just know not to order anything I am in a rush to get.

coffeecake
04-03-2015, 07:30 AM
Chiming in with a good Merlin experience. I jumped on the GP4000s II deal that Guy pointed out a few weeks ago.

Order placed March 14th, arrived March 24th.

rgr111
04-03-2015, 11:27 AM
I've also had good experiences with Chain Reaction -- they're pretty much my tire source these days. Ribble and Merlin have also been great for Campy stuff. Zero complaints.

johnny1221
04-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Ordered a groupset late on a Saturday night and received 6 days later on Friday.

Dallez
04-10-2015, 11:31 PM
I've ordered from Ribble several times in the past 5 years and PBK as well. Each time my order arrived within 10 days, sometimes less to Dallas.

Recently I placed an order on March 25th from Ribble and I am still waiting for it to arrive. So I am at 2 1/2 weeks. Most likely held up in customs. Needing the parts to arrive to complete a build so it's a little frustrating but more so due to my impatience. I did contact Ribble once it passed the 7 working day window and they said most Royal Mail packages arrive within 20 working days and if it is still not delivered by then, at that point I can request a refund or a replacement order.

Long story short, I heartily recommend them based on prior experiences despite my current order being delayed somewhat. I know in the end it will get sorted out. And just as an aside I've never received a customs bill.

wai2fast
04-11-2015, 05:49 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but the few times I've ordered from Ribble within a month or so the credit card used was compromised. Fortunately I used an AMEX, so they took care of everything and issued a new card quickly.