PDA

View Full Version : Steve Hogg - Comfort + Efficiency = Performance

hainy
02-07-2015, 12:36 AM
Hainy's Story

I first met Steve and Margaret about 30 years ago when they ran a traditional bike shop in Clovelly. I played a lot of tennis in these days and would go for a Sunday ride to strengthen up my legs. 20ks was a long ride back then either to La Perouse or Watson's Bay. I started to experience back issues from tennis and thought I would like to take up cycling. I was then posted to PNG with the company and intended on my return to Australia to take up cycling. I returned to Melb in 2002 and was hooked on cycling straight away doing Sunday crit races with the Carnegie Cauldfield Cycling Club. I had success in C grade but could never match it in B grade. I had read about bike fit and went to see a well known fitter in Melb who set me up with a very laid back position. It wasn't long after this that I started to develop low back problems and just put it down to my old tennis injury. After seeing lots of PT's I thought it might be a good idea to get a second opinion on by bike position. I found out that Steve in Sydney was now fitting people and started to correspond by email but this didn't resolve my issues. I did a lot of business trips to Sydney so booked in to see Steve on my next trip.

He discovered how twisted I sat on the bike which I put down to all my days of twisting one way playing tennis. While he could help get me more comfortable on the bike he recommended I look into taking up Pilates and seeing a good osteo to try and correct my major symmetry issues. None of us is perfectly symmetrical but I was worse then most. THis was 2006 and have worked hard with Pilates, stretching and regular osteo treatments to improve dramatically. If I hadn't seen Steve I probably would still be trying to find out why I suffered from back issues as no PT had pointed this out.

On my return to Sydney in 2008 I bought a custom bike from Steve to match my required position and a second one 2011. I still ride these bikes and know that any future bikes will be based on the same geometry. I continue to do daily back exercises and have leant over the years which ones work for me. I stretch for at least an hour after every ride.

So while Steve is a great place to start to be more comfortable and efficient on a bike he will be the first to admit he can only do so much but he can certainly point you in the right direction to be a better human specimen both on and off the bike.

I am always amused when I hear about the kind money people put down on a new bike and they haven't seen Steve to find out their optimum position and get a good idea what geometry they should be looking for. When I recommend Steve I often gets comments like your 10 years younger then me or I am happy just riding slowly and getting to the finish at my own pace. Seeing Steve might not mean you ride a lot faster although I am pretty sure you will maintain a climbing speed a lot longer and ride better the next day and day after that. I have done a few week long tours in recent years and while others are getting slower and slower I tend to able maintain the same pace.

Please don't get me wrong I am still a beginner when it comes to cycling and feel I learn something every time I ride and talk to people like Steve. Cyclists come from all over Australia and the World to see and be trained by Steve and I am spoilt to have his service at my doorstep

He is not the Messiah just a very clever boy.

Cheers and Happy cycling

Hainy / The Lone Rider

Pedal Pushers
Suite 316 / 30-40 Harcourt Parade
Roseberry, Sydney , Australia

612 8338 8911
www.stevehoggbikefitting.com

weisan
02-07-2015, 04:21 AM
Hainy pal, thanks for sharing your experience. We don't necessarily have to ride in pain and discomfort. It takes determination and perseverance to get to a better place. It may not be easy but anything worth doing requires some level of effort.

fuzzalow
02-07-2015, 09:01 AM
I think I was the first to bring notice of Steve Hogg to this forum. I have been an admirer and a fan of Mr. Hogg for as long as I have known about him.

I have always been interested in the whole fit & position game in cycling and he was the first person who wrote about it with any degree of rational clarity. Mr. Hogg generously and freely gifted his readers with his knowledge and insights, holding nothing back and, in effect, possibly giving away for free some of the proprietary knowledge earned in his profession. Of course there is more subtlety and insight to knowing about fit & position than is possible to convey in a web or blog posting but Mr. Hogg gave away enough that one could figure out much and build on his insight.

Ha, apologies for gushing on like this. I was just always into the fit & position stuff which I saw as a skill in cycling that I wanted to have. Mr. Hogg gave anyone who read his articles a boost towards better cycling and cyclists benefited standing on the shoulders of this giant.

OtayBW
02-07-2015, 09:16 AM
I think I was the first to bring notice of Steve Hogg to this forum. I have been an admirer and a fan of Mr. Hogg for as long as I have known about him.

I have always been interested in the whole fit & position game in cycling and he was the first person who wrote about it with any degree of rational clarity. Mr. Hogg generously and freely gifted his readers with his knowledge and insights, holding nothing back and, in effect, possibly giving away for free some of the proprietary knowledge earned in his profession. Of course there is more subtlety and insight to knowing about fit & position than is possible to convey in a web or blog posting but Mr. Hogg gave away enough that one could figure out much and build on his insight.

Ha, apologies for gushing on like this. I was just always into the fit & position stuff which I saw as a skill in cycling that I wanted to have. Mr. Hogg gave anyone who read his articles a boost towards better cycling and cyclists benefited standing on the shoulders of this giant.
Yes - I think many here have benefitted from, and appreciated his work for a long time.

hainy
02-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the replies

It is a completely different world when you actually go through the process with him in person.

Hainy

zap
02-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Count me has a big fan.

I had to change my position ever so slightly about 10 years ago due to OSD and his articles gave me the info needed to make the right changes.